ASIA - Silent Nation

Musical and related discussions about other bands.
qman
Charter Member

ASIA - Silent Nation

Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:00 am

I picked up the new ASIA CD Silent Nation, and I give it thumbs up. This CD rocks for ASIA the way The Ladder rocks for YES. Ten great punchy songs, the longest being 7:16. They have made an effort to steer away from the meandering 12 plus minute prog rock norm and I applaud them for it because none of these songs suffer from being unnecessarily drawn out. My favorite tracks are 3 & 4 Midnight and Blue Moon Monday, but the whole CD is a refreshing listen. Support former YESMAN Geoff Downes and visit
http://www.asiaworld.org and pick up Silent Nation you will be glad you did.
[:u]
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:13 am

I have heard many wonderful things about this new CD and I can't wait to pick it up and listen to what everyone's raving about. I can't wait! Do they have the bonus DVD with the release as well? I hope so. Geoff and John said it was gonna be more rock-based than the fabulous album AURA was. It's not a bad thing that they steered away from the "A--A" album names because it helps to show the growth of the band and they can move forward in an established manner. Cheers to Geoff for carrying the band under his wing ever since the reunion in 1990. They've made some interesting adjustments and as much as I LOVE the first album, I'm glad they didn't keep that sound on every album because with every album there is something so fresh about them. I met Geoff after they played here in Williamsport after their AAA show and he was a very nice guy and I had the chance to get a couple pictures with him and even join him in a smoke. It was just an honor to be standing right next a former Yes-man and "Squire" member of Asia (meaning he's the only member to be there right from the beginning, obviously). Hopefully the band will be around for a long, long time.

Cheers, Asia! :icon_drin
Ascend and Create!

qman
Charter Member

Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:04 am

Topo, right on, the bonius DVD does come with it but I confess I have not played it yet, maybe this weekend. I too am glad they finally ended the "A" in every cd name, it had run it's course. I dug Aura a lot so with Silent Nation being a very good CD I'm happy that Geoff has back to back smokin CD's. He seems focused on getting ASIA firmly back in the touring game and that is a great thing. Judging from the last two releases I expect good things from ASIA for the next several years. I liked the "Squire" reference to Geoff, yes indeed he owns the ASIA name!

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Yeah!!

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:48 am

This will definately be a must have for both my AND my hubby!!!!!!!
Theres a time, and the time is now, and it's right for me,
Theres a word, and word is love, and it's right for me. [:yes]

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:44 am

I just picked this disc up yesterday and I loved it! It was kind of a slight departure from Aura, but it rocked when it was supposed to and mellowed out when it was supposed to. It really seemed like a band effort as opposed to being a guest players album, which Aura was. I watched the bonus DVD and thought it was a cool thing (Why can't every band do this?) to check out the making of the album and how they write and stuff. Geoff said about a year from now they're gonna record another album on account of Arena and Aura and this album being released so far apart. Chris Slade is an excellent drummer for the band and has quite an extensive touring/recording history with people like AC/DC, The Firm, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, and even Tom Jones. Guthrie Govan is an amazing guitarist who can play any style with amazing precision. I hope the band plans on staying around for a long time, nevermind having a hit album or hit single.
Ascend and Create!

qman
Charter Member

Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:04 am

Yes, I failed to mention the CD packaging, it is excellent as is the cover art.
Your right about the bonus DVD, I used to think that all CD's would eventually come with this and include printable lyrics and even sheet music. Someday.

Fishes
Veteran Member

Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:35 pm

i havent got it yet but ive heard great things about it and i did notice that Billy Sherwood co-wrote 2 of the songs on there
THE FISH
"If I ever needed someone, you were there when I needed you"

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:11 am

Yes, he did and the better of the two songs is Ghost In The Mirror. Excellent tune. He helped out with some of the pre-production as well, along with his former World Trade and Conspiracy bandmate drummer Jay Schellen and Ant Glynne who also worked a little on the Aqua album.
Ascend and Create!

tardistraveler

Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:08 pm

Interesting, I'm playing this CD just as I saw this thread. Blue Moon Monday is playing now - I really like it!

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:59 am

I've checked out "What About Love" and "Midnight" so far (the latter is playing right now, as a matter of fact), and apart from a mildly interesting, but still awkward-sounding instrumental break which just ended, I am VERY disappointed!! These tunes sound completely bland in almost every way: there is no depth to the mix, the songwriiting is rather weak (I realize that Asia has always had fairly simple music, but these tunes aren't even catchy!), and I think I recognize the Hammond organ simulator that Geoff Downes has covered these two tunes in! :p Not to mention the drums sound rather thin and punchless - drum machines perhaps?
I've heard every Asia album, and as flawed as some of them may be (much of Astra is penultimate cheesy 80's arena rock), they at least had their merits as catchy tunes, if not more... I don't even hear any additional layers on these tunes to make them worth multiple listens!
Sorry to disagree with you all. :p

Chris2210

What About Love

Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:42 pm

psychopomp95 wrote:I've checked out "What About Love" and "Midnight" so far (the latter is playing right now, as a matter of fact), and apart from a mildly interesting, but still awkward-sounding instrumental break which just ended, I am VERY disappointed!!
I've only heard the first of these two tracks from the cover CD of Classic Rock and unfortunately I have to concur. It isn't even that it leaves me underwhelmed - I positively dislike the track. Dull, clichéd and unimaginative it is very possibly the poorest track on a not particularly great selection (I like 3 or 4 of the tracks with One Great Summer by Amplifier being the standout - I've ordered that album and also picked up the featured Anathema album).

Is this track typical of the style and quality of the rest of the album or have I just lucked out on the runt of the pack? It's certainly not encouraging me to gamble on the rest.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

qman
Charter Member

Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:59 am

This is a nice collection of well-written tunes that will help ASIA rock more in concert. I think you guys are being a little harsh and quick to judge. Watch the bonus DVD and listen to their interviews. No drum machine is used. Many times especially with Prog albums I have to give a CD 4, 5 or even 6 listens before I say damn I like that, often a little ear effort goes a long way. How boring life would be if we all agreed on everything. IMHO this is not a bad ASIA CD if it doesn't do it for you that's fine but I like it and hopefully I'll get to see them perform it along with a few of my favorite tracks from Aura. I love the Flower Kings but I usually listen to a new FK release a dozen times before I even start to pay attention to what the name of a particular song is or what track number it is.

gatesofdeliriumcrasher
Charter Member

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:09 am

I got this album the day it was released, and it did indeed take me about 3 or 4 complete lstenings before I started to "get into" it, but once i did, WOW! On a scale of 1 to 10, I would definitely give it an 8.5!

Ray
Bush Lies = America Dies!

Stoutman
Charter Member

Im pleasantly surprised.....

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:09 am

I happened to be at Best Buy today and I picked this up. I have read so many wonderful things about this album , specifically from Amazon.com.
This is a great album, probally the best I have herard this year along with Marillion`s Mables. If you are looking for John Wetton era Asia, dont even bother!! If you are looking for epic tracks that last 20 minutes,this is not for you. But if you do care about strong, concise songwriting with melodies that hook you and stay with you, than you should definitely purchase this album.
There`s not a duff track on this album. The playing and arrnagements are tasteful. None of the tracks border into meandering territory, and let`s be fair, a lot of prog music can meander into exessive indulgence.
the lyrics for this album definitely delve into darker territory than what you would expect from Asia. Darkness day is one track that fits the bill.
I cant wait to listen to it again. Most cd`s I buy find their way onto my table for flea market sales,but this is one cd Ill gladly keep

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:37 am

"Darkness Day", out of the tracks I HAVE heard, is definitely the one that sticks for me. :) VERY cool production, and the mood is great! (Maybe those are one and the same, LOL)

So I guess, on the basis of just this tune, I like the album better than my last posts about it... I'll have to hear the rest of it before I pass "final judgement" though. ;)

EricBliss12345
Starship Trooper

You know

Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:45 pm

A few weeks ago Geoff and John did an acoustic performance at Borders a couple blocks up. I cared so little that I didn't go.