BONNAROO 2005

Musical and related discussions about other bands.
tribute1969
Starship Trooper

BONNAROO 2005

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:24 pm

This June, the 3rd annual BONNAROO Music Festival will be held right outside Music City, Nashville, TN...No YES siting in the lineup but there's still hope!
Check out what's happening:
http://www.bonnaroo.com
http://www.livebonnaroo.com

Last time I went to a large, JAM festival/concert event like this was way back in 1972, The Peachtree Festival 8/18/72.....Check out the Cameron Crowe "review" of Fleetwood Mac-pre-Stevie/Lindsey-when they still played blues/rock!! Click on the venues after the review to checkout the various lineups....pretty cool....I just remember FM and Alice Cooper rocking out the festival I attended.....I think Bonarroo would be just as fun......
http://www.fmlegacy.com/concertsfm1972.html#
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

tardistraveler

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:24 pm

Bummer - can't view the Bonnaroo site without a Flash plug-in, which I can't download here at work! I'll have to check this out later this evening at home - curious which bands WILL be there!

The last "festival" concert I attended was in 1975 - July 4th, Memphis Stadium - an all day event with Charlie Daniels, J. Geils Band, someone else I don't remember now, and the Stones were the headliner - hot and miserable, but the music was mainly good, and worth the discomfort!

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:53 am

The line-up consists of the following:

Widespread Panic (2 shows)
Dave Matthews Band
Jack Johnson
Allman Brothers Band
Alison Krauss and Union Station
Modest Mouse
Gov't Mule
Bela Fleck Acoustic Trio
The Mars Volta (these guys kick ass live! Full of energy! I saw them in concert on TV)
John Prine
Yonder Mountain Spring Band
My Morning Jacket
Keller Williams
STS9
Earl Scruggs & Friends
Joss Stone
O.A.R.
Toots And The Maytals
Umphrey's McGee (didn't these play there last year as well? I heard they were good, but I still have yet to check them out)
Iron & Wine
Ozomatli
Rilo Kiley
Karl Denson's Tiny Universe
Drive-By Truckers
Particle
Joanna Newsom
Xavier Rudd
Ray LaMontagne
The Guords
Secret Machines
Donna The Buffalo
John Butler Trio
Ollabelle
Citizen Cope
Brazilian Girls
M. Ward
Madeleine Peyroux

and many more artists to be announced!

Goddamn, that's a lot of bands/artists!!!! I don't think there's any chance of me attending, but I'm sure it would be interesting. I saw the Mars Volta on my fiancee's dad's digital cable free On-Demand thingamajig. It was cool. The program was in two separate parts. I can't remember who sponsored it, but the show was awesome. They performed the whole of De-loused In The Comatorium along with the song "Concertina," I believe, from their Tremulant EP. Very energetic and experimental. It's too bad we don't have any kind of big outdoor music festivals here in PA. Oh well. I'm still hoping to attend NEARFest this summer.
Ascend and Create!

Kissdthsky
Charter Member

eek!

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:03 am

holy nellie!!! that is a WHOLE lotta bands!!! and to be honest, the only one sounding good at all is Dave Matthews Band.
Kissd
"when stars collide like you and i...." (Elton John/The One)

"Today the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it." (Anne O'Hare McCormick, foreign correspondent for the New York Times"

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:35 pm

I didn't really check the site too much, just the people who were playing, but is it held in a stadium or a park or ...?

Just curious at how many people attend it. I never hear anything about these festivals. Thank God for YesTalkers, huh? :D
Ascend and Create!

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Bluegrass Moog

Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:56 am

EVERYONE needs to attend at least one all weekend long, big time "festival" of music.......This is one of the last...you get there early in the week if you have time, find a good place to "camp" and you don't leave until "The Music's Over"....and remember those lucky few at Woodstock '69 that hung in there until Monday moring 8/18 1969 at 8:04 AM when Jimi Hendrix "closed" the festival.......

There are about 100,000 at BONNAROO each year....

and IF Earl Scruggs were to bring back "The Earl Scruggs Revue" I would love to go see it...I have seen alot of the other bands already...check out on the track listing the "friends" that helped Earl make his ESR music...and on tracks 17 and 18 they used a MOOG...lol,
http://www.earlscruggs.com
http://www.earlscruggs.com/edcd552.html

another group I would like to see at this festival is HAYSEED DIXIE which is a bluegrass group that play "tributes" or "covers" of hard rock bands!!
Check out "Tribute To AC/DC".....lol
http://www.hayseed-dixie.com

topographic_drama1980 wrote:I didn't really check the site too much, just the people who were playing, but is it held in a stadium or a park or ...?

Just curious at how many people attend it. I never hear anything about these festivals. Thank God for YesTalkers, huh? :D
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

tardistraveler

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:56 am

tribute1969 wrote:another group I would like to see at this festival is HAYSEED DIXIE which is a bluegrass group that play "tributes" or "covers" of hard rock bands!!

TOO funny! Definitely something I'd like to hear!

Why don't we get a group of YesTalkers together and go to this year's festival? ;)

qman
Charter Member

Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:26 am

WHAT A LINE-UP! I was disappointed that GALATIC was not on the list.
My advice either go at least two days early and camp out otherwise do not go by car. A motorcycle is the only sane transportation to this event. You will not get close to the place in a car the day before it starts. Big ass crowd with major traffic jams.
Go, you will love it, just go by bike!
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)

tardistraveler

Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:09 pm

Yeah, I was wondering that myself - if you DID want to go, just how the heck would you get there!

The traffic trying to get to Manchester, TN is ungodly! It's located in an area that's sort of bottlenecked - only a couple of ways in or out.

I got stuck in that traffic once trying to get to Florida - didn't realize Bonnaroo was the same weekend - took me FIVE hours to get to an exit and return to Murfreesboro - had to reroute my trip to bypass Manchester!

qman
Charter Member

Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:01 pm

zactly! :D
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)

perpetualchanger
Starship Trooper

Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:36 pm

tribute1969 wrote: another group I would like to see at this festival is HAYSEED DIXIE which is a bluegrass group that play "tributes" or "covers" of hard rock bands!!
Hayseed Dixie is the shit! They actually can make "Back In Black" sound pretty groovy. The really funny one is the Hillbilly Tribute To Mountain Love. You haven't heard Centerfold until you've heard Hayseed Dixie do it.
Michele Hriciso
My personal site:
http://www.bikerbitchblog.com

SlickChick

Bonnaroo

Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:53 pm

qman wrote:zactly! :D

I just bought tickets to this festival... driving down from Toronto, Canada... whats this about traffic jams? Can you give me anymore advice on that or anything else.. I'm planning on camping... whats the deal with that there? I'd appreciate any tips :)

This line up Rocks!!!