Spock's Beard, Octane

Musical and related discussions about other bands.
yesireebob

Spock's Beard, Octane

Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:14 am

I ordered this CD from Amazon after reading this review from the Dutch Progressive Rock Page:

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200505.html

Sounds good! Anyone have it yet?

qman
Charter Member

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:25 am

Not yet but it's very much on my to do list. I love the Beard even with Morse gone. By the way I have Morse's Testimony DVD.
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:15 am

I never got it yet. I think it came out two (?) weeks ago or something and I saw it at one of my jobs (record store). Who took Neal's spot as lead singer? Is the album really good at all? I need some more damn money. I have so many CD's I wanna buy it's not even funny!!! :jestera:
Ascend and Create!

flowering
Veteran Member

Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:03 am

well, i got mixed impressions on that album. the button on the cover says "worlds leading progressive rock band is back" (or something like that) - whoho! listening to the music most of the time i ask myself whats progressive about it? its well played and composed music - Rock music but not progressive music at all.

Nice Songs, good instrumentalists, some gread singer/songwriter kinda stuff but no ProgRock!

If you gonna buy this album make sure you'll buy the special edition. There are five more songs on the second disc. among them is the one and only piece of music that i would call progressive beside that the last 3 songs on disc one are kinda :( so you need the second disc to have enough good music.

feel euphoria was more progressive ....

qman
Charter Member

Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:06 am

The drummer Nick took up the singing duties a la Phil Collins. SB is a band in transition and that is not a bad thing. I liked Feel Eurphoria and look forward to Octane and thanks I will indeed get the SE. :D

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:00 am

Nick D'Virgilio is singing? Yeah, the band is definitely influenced by Genesis isn't it? :jestera: To my understanding Nick actually did some drumming for Genesis on the Calling All Stations album. Is his voice any good at all?
Ascend and Create!

qman
Charter Member

Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:59 am

Nick's pipes are just fine. :)

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:36 am

Nick is also Tears For Fears' drummer.... busy guy!!

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:45 pm

Damn, I'll say he's busy! I'm sure he's never bored! :jestera:
Ascend and Create!

perpetualchanger
Starship Trooper

Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:23 pm

I have Octane, and I must concur that it is plenty of rock, but not very progressive. I do like it a lot, and I really like Nick's voice. I just think that since Neal Morse left they are not all that progressive, and it has everything to do with who's doing most of the writing.
Michele Hriciso
My personal site:
http://www.bikerbitchblog.com

purplewolfhound

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:42 pm

flowering wrote:well, i got mixed impressions on that album. the button on the cover says "worlds leading progressive rock band is back" (or something like that) - whoho! listening to the music most of the time i ask myself whats progressive about it? its well played and composed music - Rock music but not progressive music at all.

Nice Songs, good instrumentalists, some gread singer/songwriter kinda stuff but no ProgRock!

If you gonna buy this album make sure you'll buy the special edition. There are five more songs on the second disc. among them is the one and only piece of music that i would call progressive beside that the last 3 songs on disc one are kinda :( so you need the second disc to have enough good music.

feel euphoria was more progressive ....
Yeah, I agree with everything you say. I was pretty disappointed, especially with the way the sticker on the cover prepares you for a healthy dose of prog-rock. Feel Euphoria was way better than this. Neal Morse's "One" is better than either one of them...
Political ends, as sad remains, will die.

flowering
Veteran Member

Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:05 pm

Nic also did the drum job for fates warning during their recent tour.

By the way Nic is a great drummer in fact.

In general i have to say that Spock's Beard is more a Pop-Prog band to me (and has always been). Melodies are too easy to catch!

I think Snow is their best album yet although its not that proggy too.

yesireebob

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:14 am

I got this CD last week and have listened to it a number of times. I am warming up to it quite a bit of late. No, it's not like the Neal Morse material, but SB is finding their voice, and I like it! I do have Neal's latest effort, One, and although musically it's great, it's just too in-your-face religious (as opposed to spiritual) for my taste. Prog-gospel if you will. Blech. I much prefer the straight forward rock of Octane. My favorite will always be V, though...

Relayer
Starship Trooper

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:44 am

I got the double disc, I agree that some of the best songs are on the second disc, but the overwheming feeling I got was for crying out loud
was stop trying to teach me a lesson about anything, the concept album thing is dead, this is no fun anymore, these guys are and always have been technically proficient, Alan in particular rip's on this on,this time the songs are a little poppier IMHO, thats not a bad thing, as far the lyrics go, stop beleiving you're own hype about how deep you are. Stop taking vieled swipes at Neal, he is who he is as much as you are who you are, so what.
On they're worst day SB is still a great band, but they need to move on
as artists and if the lyrics are a reflection of their demons, perhaps as human beings also.

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:42 pm

I just got this one last night, the 2-disc special edition of it with the cool hardback book casing. What I have heard so far (I'm listening to it right now) sounds really good to me. Even though it is different, to me, it's a welcome change for this great, great band. Nick's voice doesn't sound too bad at all. I think it's safe to say that The Beard is pretty much a modern-day Genesis, if you think about it, with the drummer taking over for lead vocals and also showing a little more of a rock approach (kinda like what Genesis did with A Trick Of The Tail) and just being different. I like it very much and will be listening to this one for quite a while.
Ascend and Create!