The more I hear Dream Theater ...

Musical and related discussions about other bands.
perpetualchanger
Starship Trooper

The more I hear Dream Theater ...

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:46 pm

... the more respect I have for them. Seriously.

Is there a band still doing fresh work today that can change gears as smoothly, that is still at the top of their game after 20 years together, that can always challenge my ears with their complexity (both lyrical and musical)?

I have been on a serious Dream Theater binge for a couple of months now and they have totally earned my respect. I mean totally. And that's not something I give lightly.

My favorite DT is and probably always will be Awake. I think it's a fine example of prog that strays into metal but not so far that their prog roots don't show anymore.

I am really impressed, however, with their latest outing. If you haven't heard Octavarium, I would encourage you to give it a spin. I think it's a fine example of how DT has grown as a band, and the music varies from the gentle "The Answer Lies Within" to the 20-minute epic "Octavarium."

I'm probably going to take some hits for saying this next bit, so bring them on. It's been a while since I've gotten things stirred up around here.

Yes is no longer my favorite band. That's how seriously impressed I am by Dream Theater.

Yes has been my favorite band for years and years, and I am finding that their lack of new material has really disappointed me. They all seem to be going their separate ways musically and that makes me so sad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on Yes. But I really feel like the time has come for the prog torch to be passed and I am putting my money on Dream Theater to grab it. Perhaps they already have.

So go ahead, beat me up, kick my ass for saying this stuff. I'm ready to take the hits. I've put on the padded Red Man suit and I'm wearing my bulletproof vest.

Dream Theater's probably got another 20 years in them, if my assessment is correct, and that's a lot of hits for me to take. So be it.
Michele Hriciso
My personal site:
http://www.bikerbitchblog.com

Roan's Lady

Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:00 am

perpetualchanger wrote:... the more respect I have for them. Seriously.

Is there a band still doing fresh work today that can change gears as smoothly, that is still at the top of their game after 20 years together, that can always challenge my ears with their complexity (both lyrical and musical)?

I have been on a serious Dream Theater binge for a couple of months now and they have totally earned my respect. I mean totally. And that's not something I give lightly.

My favorite DT is and probably always will be Awake. I think it's a fine example of prog that strays into metal but not so far that their prog roots don't show anymore.

I am really impressed, however, with their latest outing. If you haven't heard Octavarium, I would encourage you to give it a spin. I think it's a fine example of how DT has grown as a band, and the music varies from the gentle "The Answer Lies Within" to the 20-minute epic "Octavarium."

I'm probably going to take some hits for saying this next bit, so bring them on. It's been a while since I've gotten things stirred up around here.

Yes is no longer my favorite band. That's how seriously impressed I am by Dream Theater.

Yes has been my favorite band for years and years, and I am finding that their lack of new material has really disappointed me. They all seem to be going their separate ways musically and that makes me so sad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on Yes. But I really feel like the time has come for the prog torch to be passed and I am putting my money on Dream Theater to grab it. Perhaps they already have.

So go ahead, beat me up, kick my ass for saying this stuff. I'm ready to take the hits. I've put on the padded Red Man suit and I'm wearing my bulletproof vest.

Dream Theater's probably got another 20 years in them, if my assessment is correct, and that's a lot of hits for me to take. So be it.
Although I'm not a big DT fan, I can relate completely to your sentiments about Yes. So no ass-kickin' from me!
And nice to see you, Michele. :)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

yesireebob

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:44 am

Well I still don't like DT better than Yes, but I absolutely agree that DT is the band that have most truely picked up where Yes left off. And like Yes, I never cease to be amazed at their live performances. After Yes, they are absolutely the best live band out there. I almost peed myself when I found out that DT was opening for Yes in 2004, and I wound up going to three shows in three states. It was the best tour ever, in my book. Although, I was a bit disheartened by the negativity over DT expressed by many Yes fans, and also disappointed that there was no tandem encore with both bands playing together. I understand that this was Yes's call; DT is always ready, willing, and able to play with another band. That's another thing I love about DT, they can play ANYTHING. I appreciated that DT, out of respect, opened for Yes rather than co-headlined -- which they easily could have done. They also crafted a set list designed with a prog audience in mind, both considerate and smart, and even included a Yes song, Machine Messiah. Brilliant. So, Michelle, I totally relate to what you are saying. DT is my second favorite band in terms of touring, and my third favorite band for studio work, my second favorite being Porcupine Tree, the successor to Pink Floyd. Interesting, my two favorite classic prog bands are Yes and Pink Floyd, and my two favorite neo prog bands are DT and PT, both of whom added a dose of metal to the genre. Prog on steroids!
BTW, Michelle, if you have not already checked it out, listen to the Human Equation by Ayreon, a two-disc concept prog-metal CD featuring James LaBrie. It came out in 2004, and I still reach for it regularly.

yesireebob

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:47 am

BTW, good to see you back, Michelle!

tardistraveler

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:11 am

Yes has a special place in my heart, and always will . . . I will always cherish the memories of their live performances, and thrill to the musical legacy they have produced. That will stand regardless of whether they produce another album, or play another show.

However, there does come a time when all musicians run their course. Whether this has happened to Yes or not remains to be seen. So, I've been on the lookout for new music that thrills me to the extent that Yes has.

And Dream Theater comes very close for me. Like Linda, my favorite "newer" bands are Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree. Dream Theater amazes me with their musical dexterity, their ability to incorporate many styles into their music, and their willingness to experiment and expand. They are always on my current playlist in one form or another.

khalpin
Starship Trooper

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:14 pm

[quote="yesireebob"]Well I still don't like DT better than Yes, but I absolutely agree that DT is the band that have most truely picked up where Yes left off. And like Yes, I never cease to be amazed at their live performances. After Yes, they are absolutely the best live band out there. I almost peed myself when I found out that DT was opening for Yes in 2004, and I wound up going to three shows in three states. It was the best tour ever, in my book. Although, I was a bit disheartened by the negativity over DT expressed by many Yes fans, and also disappointed that there was no tandem encore with both bands playing together. I understand that this was Yes's call]

WOW! That's almost EXACTLY what I was going to say. Except for the Porcupine Tree and Ayreon stuff. (although I did just pick up the Human Equation based upon recommendations, but I've only given it one listen so far)

Most people's main fault with DT (apart from LaBrie's vocals) is that they're "Math Rock". All technical and no emotion or feeling. While I can see where people may think this if they're not too familiar with their complete body of work, because there ARE songs that seem to be all flash and without substance, they're just missing the boat on all of the other stuff.

My personal faves are Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Scenes From a Memory (The best album to come out in the 90s) I think they've started to decline over the past 2 albums, although the song Octavarium is absolutely fantastic. But most of the album I find a little predictable and too pop-oriented. Songs like "Walk Beside You" annoy me. They make me think of the 80s.

Anyway, my wife and I went to the 20th anniversary show at Radio City on 4/1 that was filmed for a DVD release. Hopefully we'll make it into the film. I'm the guy wearing a Yes baseball hat on the right side towards the back in the orchestra seats!

I actually just read that they're going to air a portion of the DVD at the end of the month on VH1Classic's Friday night live concert series. Eddie Trunk was at the show and introduced the band. When we were walking up to Radio City, I said to my wife "that's Eddie Trunk". We were walking right next to him. She said, "Who's Eddie Trunk". ha ha ha

perpetualchanger
Starship Trooper

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:06 am

khalpin wrote: Most people's main fault with DT (apart from LaBrie's vocals) is that they're "Math Rock". All technical and no emotion or feeling. While I can see where people may think this if they're not too familiar with their complete body of work, because there ARE songs that seem to be all flash and without substance, they're just missing the boat on all of the other stuff.
There was a shit-slinging festival on the mikeportnoy.com board a couple of days ago about this very subject. One guy said something about there being something wrong with you if you get emotional over DT songs. I think there's something wrong with you if you don't get emotional over some of them. Some of them it's taken me years to truly understand. But then, any good prog is that way.
I think they've started to decline over the past 2 albums, although the song Octavarium is absolutely fantastic. But most of the album I find a little predictable and too pop-oriented.
They are a major-label band, after all, and they must certainly have at least a little pressure on them to produce something that will get some airplay. However, I disagree that Octavarium was predictable and pop-oriented. Train of Thought, now THAT was predictable to me.
Anyway, my wife and I went to the 20th anniversary show at Radio City on 4/1 that was filmed for a DVD release.
It's called Score and it comes out August 29th. There is a sample on mp3.com and it's pretty amazing.
Michele Hriciso
My personal site:
http://www.bikerbitchblog.com

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:53 pm

YES, PT and then DT are the order of preference my "still alive and kick'in" bands..... :cool:
I have a few more favs that are unfortunately dead....or just not playing well together anymore......hope YES doesn't join that list...... :eek:
BUT
speaking of DT as an exceptional band, there is one area beside their original works that they also excel in..."Covers"......they DO covers better than any other band out there right now.....Seems Rush, Def Lep, etc have been doing some music in that area as of late and they ALL get blown away by DT....
Funeral For A Friend, the Led Zep covers they do are just fantastic..... :D
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

sound_chaser

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:52 pm

I'll say it quietly, but, I've never heard any Dream Theater...or Porcupine Tree for that matter.

tardistraveler

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:53 pm

sound_chaser wrote:I'll say it quietly, but, I've never heard any Dream Theater...or Porcupine Tree for that matter.
Ooh - you need to remedy that!

Check out PT's "In Absentia" or "Deadwing" . . . fantastic stuff!

And a good DT starting place is "Scenes from a Memory", or their latest, "Octavarium"!

Enjoy your discovery!

sound_chaser

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:42 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Ooh - you need to remedy that!

Check out PT's "In Absentia" or "Deadwing" . . . fantastic stuff!

And a good DT starting place is "Scenes from a Memory", or their latest, "Octavarium"!

Enjoy your discovery!
Okay, I'll put 'em on the list. But I have to tell you, it's a pretty big one (Missus.): it seems the more music I collect, the more I don't seem to have. Like many here I'm sure, I have a pretty eclectic taste. At the moment I'm going through a bit of a McCartney phase and can't stop playing his latest album, Chaos & Creation In The Backyard, which is just incredible. I'm also grooving on Herbie Hancock's seventies fusion classic, Sextant, which brings the synth sounds of Hawkwind/Tangerine Dream into a jazz field...and it's wild!

Relayer
Starship Trooper

Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:22 am

A few years ago Yes toured with both Porcupine Tree, then Dream Theater,
I was sure this was some sign of Yes wanting to make great new music again, but Yes seems to have chosen the path most taken, to become a piece of memorobilia and nostalgia, as opposeed to an innovator and there lies the difference today.
Whom ever Yes is taking thier creative advice from should consider this.

yesireebob

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:54 am

I did not see PT open for Yes, but the mere fact that they were doing so prompted me to buy In Absentia, sound unheard. I figured if they were opening for Yes, they had to be good. Good call, they are now one of my very favorite bands and I have all the their CDs and most of their respective side projects as well. However, I recall from the PT message board that Steve Wilson was afterward very negative about the experience, I think mainly because so many Yes fans were unreceptive to PT's darker ambience and made that abundantly clear at the concerts. DT was probably a better choice, but Yes fans are kinda hard to please.

In any event, I'm not sure Yes has a say about who opens for them, and I'm not sure they would be an easy band to tour with. I read somewhere that DT wanted to do a tandem encore, but that one member of Yes nixed it. I can't imagine that it would be Rick or Alan. Rick is always happy to collaborate and was on the Moog memorial show with Jordan Rudess. Alan has done drum clinics with Portnoy. And I know that Steve Howe has played with Dream Theater. In fact, it is on one of the DT DVDs. So that leaves Chris or Jon. It really is too bad that after touring with such fantastic opening acts, Yes, has seemingly failed to draw any inspiration to take it to the next level ...

khalpin
Starship Trooper

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:03 pm

yesireebob wrote: Rick is always happy to collaborate and was on the Moog memorial show with Jordan Rudess. Alan has done drum clinics with Portnoy. And I know that Steve Howe has played with Dream Theater. In fact, it is on one of the DT DVDs. So that leaves Chris or Jon. It really is too bad that after touring with such fantastic opening acts, Yes, has seemingly failed to draw any inspiration to take it to the next level ...
Despite Steve playing with the DT guys back in '95, it wouldn't surprise me that he didn't want to do a tandem encore.

I don't know, though. Could've been Chris or Jon, I suppose.

Relayer
Starship Trooper

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:30 am

I agree with all of this, but the biggest differance I see in these bands is Yes beleives it's own hype, they, as a band, are an enigma, a myth, a wonderous story if you will, the other two stay vital because they are, both have a much better work ethic and it serves them well, Yes on the other hand could care less, apparent by this lull of creative energy for the past five years and the childish squabbles that keep the band sidlined by choice.

happytheman
Charter Member

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:47 am

tardistraveler wrote:Ooh - you need to remedy that!

Is it just me, or did anyone else here find the lyrical content of Scenes a bit dark? Musically it was incredible. The guitar player is obviously exceptional. But I just couldn't bring myself to repeated listenings.

khalpin
Starship Trooper

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:40 pm

The lyrical content is supposed to be a story about past lives. Kind of like the movie Dead Again. Guy gets hypnotized where they find out that in a past life a guy slept with his brother's fiance and the jealous brother killed them both. Something like that. It's been a while since I paid any attention to it.

Lyrics are all vowels and consonants. I don't care if it's even in English. It's all about the music for me.

tardistraveler

Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:04 pm

happytheman wrote:Is it just me, or did anyone else here find the lyrical content of Scenes a bit dark? Musically it was incredible. The guitar player is obviously exceptional. But I just couldn't bring myself to repeated listenings.
It IS dark, in a way. The guy undergoes a past-life regression with a therapist, only to discover that in the past he was a woman named Victoria who was killed in a lover's triangle. He also discovers that his therapist was the killer, also in a past life.

But, it's also hopeful, about the continuation of the spirit irrespective of the details of each individual life.

That's what I take from it, at least.

yesireebob

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:53 am

Quite to the contrary, there is nothing dark about the song "the spirit carries on." A very uplifting song.

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Dream Theater: SCORE on VH1 Classic

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:03 am

WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

khalpin
Starship Trooper

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:15 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Nolan. I'll have to add that to my Tivo.

yesireebob

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:29 pm

Just got Score, the live 3-CD set. OMG, it is great! I can't stop listening to it. This show included a live Orchestra, and a couple of songs that have never been released. Most of the material has never been on a live CD before, so there is very little redundency with the other live CDs. Spectacular sound quality. Now I am going to have to get the DVD!

tardistraveler

Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:19 pm

I saw the excerpt from SCORE on VH1 - it was fantastic!

The CD and DVD will be added to my wish list . . . maybe Santa will come through this year . . . ;)

yesireebob

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:51 pm

I got the DVD, watched it over the weekend, INCREDIBLE! Really exceptional sound quality, first rate performance. Really nice history of the band on the bonus disc, too, with footage from Majesty days.