Mostly Autumn

Musical and related discussions about other bands.
N2yes
Starship Trooper

Mostly Autumn

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:04 am

Someone please fill me in on the details of this band I have heard so much about. Sure, I could just go and buy a CD, but I'd rather hear from the membership just how good they really are. I have heard nothing but really good things since day one.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Re: Mostly Autumn

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:19 am

http://www.mostly-autumn.com/

I like "Passengers" and any live boot...
PLEASE come to AMERICA!!

and the lead singer Heather Findlay doesn't hurt the cause... :cool:

Yesireebob is a big fan, hopefully she'll join this thread or you should just PM her,,,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

proghead
Veteran Member

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:21 am

This is a really a tough one for me to describe. I personally like 'The Last Bright Light' the most. It's an earlier one and I think I like it the most because of it's folky celtic sound mixed in with some obvious Pink Floyd influence. They seem to be a little more instrumental on their earlier works also leaning more on the progressive side. I myself was dissapointed with both Passengers & Storms Over Still Water and have not bought any of the new stuff. Heather Findley is a rock godess and can top any of the female singers. Britney eat your heart out! This woman has talent and quite the stage presence. Plus she does the album cover art to boot. Since they may never tour the US check out their concert DVDs. So Far is my favorite concert DVD by them because it covers the earlier stuff. If you're looking to buy just one CD by them try to find Catch the Spririt. It's a 2 CD set which is the best of their early works with re-recordings. Unfortunately it's going out of print very fast.
Progressive will never be a popular form of music simply due to the fact that the average person has a 'attention span' of less than three minutes with a simple beat.

Ed1909
Starship Trooper

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:53 pm

I became intrigued in 2002 by reading a small ad description of Mostly Autumn as something like "Pink Floyd meets Celtic Folk", so I took the plunge with the then newly released "The Last Bright Light" (which was the band's 3rd album). I've been hooked ever since.

The first 2 albums are much in the same vein, and then (after a filler Lord Of The Rings inspired release) Passengers was released. Some of the tracks on Passengers could be described as a touch more mainstream, but a fine album nonetheless (and contains my MA favourite, "Pass the Clock" which has been sadly neglected in live shows since the initial Passengers tour).

The latest two albums, "Storms Over Still Waters" and "Heart Full of Sky" both have some superb tracks, but one or two efforts on each of these releases could have done with a bit more quality control. However, it's a sign of the standards previously set which leaves high expectations which perhaps haven't been met. Having said that, the audience numbers at their shows are steadily (but not spectacularly) increasing, and live they are a very solid proposition.

I'd heartily agree with Proghead that the 2CD set "Catch The Spirit" is the best starting point (a best of the first 3 albums; although re-recordings, mostly better IMHO). My DVD recommendation would be "The V Shows".

I like the band so much I stumbled upon the domain name www.mostlyautumn.co.uk as being available - so I grabbed it. As the forum on the official site is fairly heavily moderated, I set up an alternative "say what you really think" forum (take a guess at my inspiration!) I know that a few of the band visit "my" site (the lovely Heather used to post now and again), and I think they appreciate the honesty to be found there (I must be doing something right - namechecked on the last 2 albums!)

And the $64k question; is Mostly Autumn "prog"? Well, kinda, at times. Sometimes (particularly in the early years) more folk-rock. And often they simply rock!
High vibration go on...

yesireebob

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:02 pm

I love this band, and have over time purchased all their CDs and DVDs. They are a curious mixture of Celtic, prog, and 70's era classic rock. When I play their music, friends often assume that it is some 70's rock band that they overlooked. My favorite CDs are Passengers (the fist one I bought and fell in love with) and The Spirit of Autumn Past (the second CD with some really inspired Celtic-prog fusion instrumentals). Although Catch the Spirit certainly has the best sampling of the first three albums, it does not include some the best instrumental Celtic-flavored prog that really makes this band stand out. I recommend buying the first three CDs just for those tracks. In fact, I plan to make a CD off my Itunes collection of just those tracks. The last two CDs are good, expecially Heart Full of Sky, with a couple of tunes that really rock. The special edition of Heart Full of Sky has a second CD with some real gems.
But I agree that some judicious quality control would have improved both CDs immensely. This is a band well worth exploring, Chris, go for it!

N2yes
Starship Trooper

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:01 am

It looks as though I will not be disappointed one bit. The new RUSH CD and then Mostly Autumn---"Catch the Spirit"! Thank you one and all!
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

Dr_Yes

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:25 pm

Ed1909 wrote:I became intrigued in 2002 by reading a small ad description of Mostly Autumn as something like "Pink Floyd meets Celtic Folk", so I took the plunge with the then newly released "The Last Bright Light" (which was the band's 3rd album). I've been hooked ever since.

The first 2 albums are much in the same vein, and then (after a filler Lord Of The Rings inspired release) Passengers was released. Some of the tracks on Passengers could be described as a touch more mainstream, but a fine album nonetheless (and contains my MA favourite, "Pass the Clock" which has been sadly neglected in live shows since the initial Passengers tour).

The latest two albums, "Storms Over Still Waters" and "Heart Full of Sky" both have some superb tracks, but one or two efforts on each of these releases could have done with a bit more quality control. However, it's a sign of the standards previously set which leaves high expectations which perhaps haven't been met. Having said that, the audience numbers at their shows are steadily (but not spectacularly) increasing, and live they are a very solid proposition.

I'd heartily agree with Proghead that the 2CD set "Catch The Spirit" is the best starting point (a best of the first 3 albums; although re-recordings, mostly better IMHO). My DVD recommendation would be "The V Shows".

I like the band so much I stumbled upon the domain name www.mostlyautumn.co.uk as being available - so I grabbed it. As the forum on the official site is fairly heavily moderated, I set up an alternative "say what you really think" forum (take a guess at my inspiration!) I know that a few of the band visit "my" site (the lovely Heather used to post now and again), and I think they appreciate the honesty to be found there (I must be doing something right - namechecked on the last 2 albums!)

And the $64k question; is Mostly Autumn "prog"? Well, kinda, at times. Sometimes (particularly in the early years) more folk-rock. And often they simply rock!

Nice one Ed! I didn't realise you had a forum going for them. Good for you.

Dave.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

Thoughtbecontact
Veteran Member

Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:54 pm

Ed1909 wrote:And the $64k question; is Mostly Autumn "prog"? Well, kinda, at times. Sometimes (particularly in the early years) more folk-rock. And often they simply rock!
I have a friend in another forum who vehemently eschews the prog label, insisting that most good music these days is NOT prog. I have another friend who also believe that most acts who label themselves prog these days are simply not all that good. Thus, it really doesn't matter to me whether one calls MA prog or not.

I got into MA via curious mixture. A friend in the east London suburbs played some of their work for me back in 2004. I was mildly impressed. Then, I heard more on Delicious Agony. That's how I really got hooked. I don't have as much of their material as I should, and I do need to get more.

But they are a curious mixture as Linda says they are, and to me, thjis is good. For my tastes, Magenta apes Renaissance way too much. MA, while nodding to that influence, does have a unique sound--and to me that is more important.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:48 pm

Listen to "Mandylion" by The Gathering if you like MA
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California