The Reasoning

Musical and related discussions about other bands.
yesireebob

The Reasoning

Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:57 pm

I just got the Reasoning's CD, Awakening, in the mail recently, and I am really impressed. Prog band from Wales, voted best new band of 2007 on the Dutch Progressive Rock Page. The band includes former member of Karnataka, Rachel Jones. She is not the only vocalist, but I love having a female voice in the prog mix. Kind of like with Mostly Autumn. Speaking of which, I think there is an MA influence, and certainly Pink Floyd. Check them out!

Here's link to their MySpace Page

http://www.myspace.com/thereasoninguk

And, here's a link from to the results of the annual DPRP poll (natch, PT was No. 1 with Fear of a Blank Planet).

http://www.dprp.net/dprpoll/2007/index.php

Ed1909
Starship Trooper

Re: The Reasoning

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:12 am

If you like The Reasoning, and perhaps more so, Karnataka, then be sure to add "Visionary Position" by Panic Room to your shopping list.
Panic Room is the band set up from the ashes of the other half of Karnataka; again prog with female vocals (this time from Anne-Marie Helder).
My album of the year so far (but having said that, the new Mostly Autumn will hopefully be with me today, if not tomorrow!)
http://www.myspace.com/panicroomuk
http://www.panicroom.org.uk
High vibration go on...

yesireebob

Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:08 pm

Thanks, I will check them out. And, too, pre-ordered MA's next release and am anxiously awaiting it!

Ed1909
Starship Trooper

Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:16 pm

yesireebob wrote: And, too, pre-ordered MA's next release and am anxiously awaiting it!
Got mine today. More thoughts to follow in time, but initial opinion is really good!
Some thoughts on the forum at "my" MA site www.mostlyautumn.co.uk
High vibration go on...

proghead
Veteran Member

Mon May 05, 2008 1:37 am

This is amazing. I too have the new Mostly Autumn pre-ordered from their web site. I bet Ed gets it first. I also love Karnataka & Reasoning. So I wonder if I shoud order this Panic Room? I guess I'll have to find some sound samples some where.
Progressive will never be a popular form of music simply due to the fact that the average person has a 'attention span' of less than three minutes with a simple beat.

proghead
Veteran Member

Mon May 05, 2008 1:40 am

I can't even read anymore. Old age I guess. Ed already has it. I wonder when it will come across the water to my mail box.
Progressive will never be a popular form of music simply due to the fact that the average person has a 'attention span' of less than three minutes with a simple beat.

yesireebob

Mon May 05, 2008 5:05 pm

Still waiting, hoping the new MA shows up in my post box soon...

proghead
Veteran Member

Wed May 07, 2008 10:26 pm

I received Mostly Autumn order in the mail today. I hope that Yesiree Bob has also. After one listen I can say that I like it. I still don't think it comes close to Last Bright Light which is still my favorite but I like what I hear much more than the last two releases. Some of it seems very low key compared to previous. Since I've written about Mostly Autumn in the past I've become more familiar with Passengers and have begun to really like it as well.

I have Panic Room on order right now from the band's website. I listen to the sound samples there and it really sounded great. Three years in the making, I bet it will be a masterpiece! Who spends that much time now days putting something together? Thanks Ed for the suggestion.

I notice Reasoning has a brand new release also on their website. I think I'll wait a bit for that one.

yesireebob

Thu May 08, 2008 12:57 am

Nope, no new MA for me yet. Hopefully tomorrow! My fave is still passengers, followed very closely by the second release, Spirit of Autumn Past. I am awaiting a return of those wonderful celtic-inspired instrumentals!

Ed1909
Starship Trooper

Thu May 08, 2008 9:44 pm

yesireebob wrote:I am awaiting a return of those wonderful celtic-inspired instrumentals!

Oh dear :( That ain't gonna happen for you!

However, plenty of flute (and pipes) in a few of the tracks. I promise I'll get a full review in due course once the album's sunk in.
High vibration go on...

yesireebob

Fri May 09, 2008 1:19 am

Finally got it today, so far so good. It will take a few run-throughs to sink in, as Ed said. But I can say I LOVE the third track, Flowers for Guns! My overall impression is that this is more classic-rocky than the last two releases, and I am pleased with that. I liked the last two releases, but I sometimes felt they almost trying to hard to make each track a work of epic proportions, which is wholly unnecessary and rather exhausting to listen to. More later, when I have a chance to really listen and digest this, ooh, and watch the making-of DVD.

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:14 am

Good sounds from this group....thanks for the headsup....I enjoy MA too..From Wales.....not like Super Furry Animals which I ENJOY weekly in my playlist rotation!!

yesireebob wrote:I just got the Reasoning's CD, Awakening, in the mail recently, and I am really impressed. Prog band from Wales, voted best new band of 2007 on the Dutch Progressive Rock Page. The band includes former member of Karnataka, Rachel Jones. She is not the only vocalist, but I love having a female voice in the prog mix. Kind of like with Mostly Autumn. Speaking of which, I think there is an MA influence, and certainly Pink Floyd. Check them out!

Here's link to their MySpace Page

http://www.myspace.com/thereasoninguk

And, here's a link from to the results of the annual DPRP poll (natch, PT was No. 1 with Fear of a Blank Planet).

http://www.dprp.net/dprpoll/2007/index.php
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California