Best CDS of 2008

Musical and related discussions about other bands.
yesireebob

Best CDS of 2008

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Heading toward the end of the year, it's time to reflect on your favorite new CDs of 2008. Mine are:

Mostly Autumn, Glass Shadows
No Man, Schoolyard Ghosts
Ayreon, 100101
Death Cab for Cutie, Narrow Stairs
Snow Patrol, A Hundred Million Suns
Sigur Ros, Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust
Elbow, The Seldom Seen Kid
Flobots, Fight with Tools
The Stills, Oceans Will Rise

Honorable mentions, dare I name these:
Lincoln Park, Minutes to Midnight. "Shadow of the Day" became like a personal anthem to me over the past year.
The rest of the CD grew on me.
Coldplay, Viva La Vida. Yeah, Coldplay. I know. I don't care. I like 'em anyway.

Obviously, I have been all over the place musically this year.

What say you?

yesireebob

Re: Best CDS of 2008

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:23 pm

BTW, can't wait to get me hands on SW's Insurgentes, but alas, that will have to wait until its release next year.

yesireebob

Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:10 am

I should mention the Reasoning released a new CD very recently, and I have not heard it yet. If it's anything like last year's release, I'm sure it will merit a place on my list. The other CD I have not gotten my grubbies on yet is the new Kings of Leon CD. I liked very much what I have heard on the radio.

Relayer
Starship Trooper

Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:44 pm

This was a very lean year but here my top 5, plus 1, in order:
Insurgentes -Steven Wilson, if this doesn't count for this year I'll understand.
Fourth -The Verve
Viva La Vida-Coldplay, yeah I liked it also
Big Blue Ball-Justin Adams, Joesph Arthur, Natacha Atlas, Francis Beby, Ronan Brown,
Juan Canizares, Billy Cobham, Richard Evens,Alexis Faku, Tim Finn, Peter
Gabriel, Joji Hirota, Manu Katche, Jame McNally, Wendy Melvoin,
Levon Minassian, Eric Mouquet,Sevar Nazarhan, Arona N'diaye,
Sinead O'Connor, Iarla O Lionaird, Hossam Ramzy, Vernon Reid,
Rossy, Micheal Sanchez, Maria, Sebestyen, Neil Sparkes,
The Holmes Brothers, Karl Walinger, Papa Wemba, Andy White,
Jah Wobble,Guo Yue and Hukwe Zawose.
The Tall Ships-It Bites
Dig Out Your Soul-Oasis
Schoolyard Ghosts-No-Man

Kalingzeye

Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:38 pm

I didn't get too many full albums this year, but out of those I did, these are my top three:

1. Bryan Scary & the Shredding Tears - Flight of the Knife
This one would actually make my top 10 albums of all time... easily. :D
I'd say it's a mix of prog/pop/rock/indie/glam/classical/everything good in music EVER.

2. Jason Mraz - We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things
I've always been a on-the-fence fan of Jason Mraz, but this album blew me away.
By far my favorite album of his- amazing songwriting, singing, and storytelling...

3. Lady GaGa - The Fame
Thank goodness for the freshness of Lady GaGa!
Crazy techno/pop goodness... a modern Madonna, IMO.

Dr_Yes

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:39 am

I've not bought a lot of new releases (I've bought loads of back-catelogue stuff though). My favs so far are:

1. Steve Wilson - Insurgentes (mp3 download - legit - album coming in Feb 09)
2. Circa - CIRCA:
3. Opeth - Watershed
4. Gogol Brodello - Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike (Mar 06 release)
5. Seth Lakeman - Poor Man's Heaven
6. TMV - The Bedlam in Goliath, Frances The Mute, Deloused at the Comatorium
7. Porcupine Tree - Nil Recurring (2007?)
8. Joe Bonamassa - Sloe Gin
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

yesireebob

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:51 pm

I thought I included Circa on last year's annual list. Was it a 2007 or 2008 release? Sometimes when you buy in advance it's hard to remember. If it was 2008, then I would include it on my list as well.

Dr_Yes

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:21 pm

yesireebob wrote:I thought I included Circa on last year's annual list. Was it a 2007 or 2008 release? Sometimes when you buy in advance it's hard to remember. If it was 2008, then I would include it on my list as well.
Very likely 2007! I'm a bit befuddled at the best of times.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

yesireebob

Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:55 am

Someone got me the Killers, Day and Age, it is quite good! I liked the first CD very much, the second CD was just ok. This one is a return to form, lots of retro disco-ish stuff that's a lot of fun.

NumberNine

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:35 pm

SIMON SAYS - TARDIGRADE: Well this is quite a classic-prog-style album but it has also typical neo-prog-moments. Overall it is more structured than a flower kings album, because there is less jamming than stolt uses to do. Its just a great album!

Beside that i really liked "carpe diem" by the flower kings. As everytime when i listen to them there are passages i really do not like. but then they do something crazy and sound very yeslike for two minutes or three. they do that in a very smooth way, there are moments when they are just brilliant.

This is a very honest live document.

I was very impressed by steven wilson this year too. His Solooutput was kind of impressive to me. He has a verry unique style to combine things. in some way i always think of Fripp also when i think of wilson. Of Course Wilson has more "songwriting tallents" and fripp is more "radical". Sometimes i even think of a colaboration but that is far away from reality :D

Well, what else ...

the recent radiohead output was quite nice. Everything that came after ok computer they did a journey. The recent Album is kind of grounded. But you still can recognize the journey they made. I was surprised by this album. together with ok compter its my favourite. But i doubt it would be in this position if i did not listen to the albums between.

Beside that im not very happy about not beeing able to talk about the recent outputs of King Crimson, Yes, Genesis reunited or Pink Floyd (yes i think they still should do it).

yesireebob

Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:07 am

Got Kings of Leon, Only By The Night, GREAT CD! Best one they had done so far!

yesireebob

Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:41 am

Two CD's I forgot to mention because I got them early in the year and I thought they were 2007 releases are: The Pineapple Thief, Tightly Unwound, and The Tanget, Not as Good as the Book.

One of my very favorite CDs that came out this year was Elbow, The Seldom Seen Kid. This actually got reviewed on DPRP, link below.

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200832.php#elbow

tardistraveler

Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:43 pm

I think I'm a year behind . . . :(

Seriously, I've bought a few things this year, but I think they've all been LAST year's stuff, or older . . . :rolleyes:

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:20 am

I'm in the same boat as some other people - I didn't buy too much this year, and some of the stuff I DID buy came out in 2007 (or I thought it did at first, until I realized how quickly 2008 went by). :p

Anyway, I submit the following. I notice this is the first year I can remember where I didn't come across anything new that really 'shook my world' - usually there's at least one album in a year that does that.

No-Man - Schoolyard Ghosts.
There's really nothing 'new' about this album that No-Man haven't already done (well, maybe "Pigeon Drummer" qualifies to some extent - odd song), but they just keep getting better and better at it. "Wherever There is Light" is undoubtedly my song of the year (not too often I can pin it down so cleanly on one song), and "All Sweet Things" is runner-up!! The rest are 'merely' really good! "Truenorth" is the new standard for atmospheric, cinematic epics for me!
Funny... I got into Porcupine Tree about 4 1/2 years ago, and eventually got into No-Man less than a year later. I dare say I like No-Man more than PT by now, but both groups are in my top faves. (PT's Fear of a Blank Planet was my favorite album of 2007, so that's two years running for Mr. Wilson - maybe a year from now I'll have fallen in love with his solo album and he can make it a treble!)

Marillion - Happiness is the Road.
A double album by probably my favorite band... yeah, I'm a sucker for Marillion and have grown to love everything they do, at least with Hogarth. Even No-Man can't claim that (listened to Wild Opera lately?).
I actually think this is better than Marbles! That one had some fantastic songs, but also some weak ones. Happiness has less outright highlights, but every song has a lot of merit (except for maybe "Half Empty Jam" but that was only a download bonus anyway)! :D More than anything, I love the way this album flows... really does justify everything about its track order, through both discs! The hooks are a bit buried in there, but they got through to me after a few listens, and some of the stuff ("Asylum Satellite #1", "Liquidity") simply SOUNDS awesome. Sound for the sake of sounding really good is my favorite thing about this album (and band).
Oh, and if the band wants another hit single, they REALLY should release "Woke Up"!

Opeth - Watershed.
This band keeps on surprising me - catch that little bit of jazz fusion in the middle of "The Lotus Eater"? (Hmmm, I had to skim through a few tracks to figure WHICH song it was, which is one of my few complaints about Opeth - the songs in themself aren't terribly distinguishing, but as a whole, their albums are still excellent.) "Coil" is one of the best ways to open an album that I've ever heard (not to mention a daring thing to do for a supposed 'death metal band'), and following it up with "Heir Apparent" is equally smart! This is probably the most rocking Opeth album - not the heaviest, but the coolest one to listen to, nod/bang your head along, and get chills at many points! If "Burden" is a sellout, then count me as hoping Opeth treads down that track... a truly great ROCK song, not just metal. The ending of "Hex Omega," straightforward as it is, gives me a sense of terror and awe at the same time, as only Opeth can do.
This album took several months to grow on me (about five or six listens in that time), but I love it now, almost as much as their last one Ghost Reveries. Oh, and I saw them play live in October and they topped out their own previous show (in 2005) for maybe the best concert I've ever been to!

PD Wohl - A Moment In Time.
This is a different animal than all of the others so far - for starters, I know PD. He's a good friend of mine and produced my album (which I also did last year, but I'm not gonna be so arrogant as to include it here). :p I liked his first album 'A Guy I Knew', a rock/country/folky hybrid, but it wasn't really 'my thing' in the big picture. Enjoyable but it didn't truly sink in with me.
His new one is much different... he recorded it 99% by himself and it's got some absolutely beautiful acoustic guitar playing, and seriously heartfelt songs and singing. It's NOT progressive rock unlike the last three - I'd place it somewhere between James Taylor (except PD's got a very rough voice, totally opposite of JT) and Bruce Cockburn, for those of you who know him.
I'm not recommending it just as a friend, I really do think PD's album was one of the best I heard this year! :) You can find it on CDBaby.

I can only truly call those my 'top anything' as everything else I heard in 2008 was 'just okay' (The Music's most recent album 'Strength in Numbers' falls under that category - I might say I'm disappointed as I absolutely loved their first two albums, but it's been four years since they released anything and I think I've changed as much as they have in that time).

Special dishonorable mention goes to the Mars Volta for 'The Bedlam in Goliath'. I submitted this on the DPRPoll as my 'Biggest Disappointment' of the year. Someone needs to remind those guys that the loud, chaotic, frantic parts of their music are only truly effective when contrasted with the quiet, tense parts that they specialize in. They seemed to make an effort to completely avoid that on their last album, thus the whole affair is pretty pointless!! (IMHO anyway)
Five years ago I would've counted myself as a big fan of TMV. Now they're actually going to have to win me back with the next album, which is pretty rare.

I only submitted that list a week ago, but I've heard a few things early this year that I like:
'The Tall Ships' by It Bites - basically the 2nd Kino album, to my ears! I can't imagine It Bites sounded so much like this in the 80's... John Mitchell is up there with Steven Wilson for me. If he's working on something, I wanna hear it, and I'll probably like it!
Which brings me to Frost's new album 'Experiments In Mass Appeal', another Mitchell-associated project. I keep meaning to buy a copy but haven't gotten around to it yet... from what I've heard, I don't expect to like it as MUCH as Milliontown (some of that album is on permanent repeat in my head, I swear!), but it still sounds pretty cool!

Enough from me. :)

yesireebob

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:15 am

Hey psychopomp, good to see you! Thanks for the reviews. I did not buy the new Marillion CDs because I was so disappointed with last year's effort, Somewhere Else. You have me intrigued, though, maybe I'll check them out. And I completely agree with the Mars Volta. I, too, was initially quite a fan, especially of Frances the Mute. But the 2008 CD left me cold. It sounds good while I listen to it but later I can't recall anything, just a mish-mash of sound. They are great live, though. Somehow watching them play helps keep you focused on what they are doing.

I also contributed to the DPRP poll, and I listed my biggest disappointment as Yes touring without Jon. That's a great poll, and last year I actually won a CD for participating. It was Abigail's Ghost, quite a good CD but eerily like Porcupine Tree. A little TOO much like PT. In fact, when their stuff turns up on a random shuffle on my IPod, I think it's PT and wonder why I don't remember the song! Not entirely a bad thing if you like PT, however....