Most retchingly wretched holiday song of all time.

Musical and related discussions about other bands.
yesireebob

Most retchingly wretched holiday song of all time.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Every year we are subjected to endless loops of holiday songs everywhere we go. While on hold on the phone, in your grocercy store, your mall, your bank, even as you wait to get your oil changed. And it seems to start earlier every year. It's not always a bad thing, nothing wrong with a little holiday cheer and there will always be some songs, no matter how banal, that always make you smile because they evoke fond memories.

But. There are holiday songs that are truly wretched, either inately wretched or wretched by virtue of enough repetition to convert the song into an instrument of torture.

Yesterday at the store, I heard it. That wretched, annoying version of "Jingle Bells" cobbled together by assorted dogs barking, woofing, and yapping. Gaaah! I don't hear it as often as I used to, but there was a time when every radio station, regardless of genre, played that song repeatedly. Cute the first time you hear it, but unbearable 30 times a day. I don't know if it is still played much on the radio, I have satellite radio and there the only stations that do holiday music are dedicated to just that. But it turns up on those ubiquitous holiday loops often enough to make me wince me every time.

What song evokes your Grinch response?

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Re: Most retchingly wretched holiday song of all time.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:07 pm

I remember working at a department store during Christmas '89. From November thru the holidays, I head every Muzak Xmas standard known to man. Many I liked, and the symphonic variations.

I guess I really don't like when popstars put out Christmas albums. I don't wanna hear Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston overdoe Xmas melodies
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

yesireebob

Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:31 pm

Yea, nothing as nauseating as some pop star trying to make few extra bucks by warbling, crooning, or wailing away their own insipid rendition of classic holiday tunes. Ick! Hmm, has Rod Stewart done a Christmas album yet? LOL!

Actually, I once took my mom to see a Clay Aiken Christmas show. Cheesier than Britney Spears in a Cheetos factory. She loved it. I have been told that my place in heaven is assured by virtue of that deed.

Mr. Stout
Veteran Member
Location: dividing time between Staten Island N.Y. and Freehold N.J.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:50 pm

Unfortunately, this is the time of year when one is bombared by many bad versions of Christmas standards or just terrible original Xmas songs in general
The most horrible Xmas song in all recorded annals has got to be Grandama got run over by a reindeer,by Flo and Eddie, released in my teen hood of the mid `80`s. That was excruciatingly bad and your only wish was that the reindeer had trampled over anyone responsible in the creation of this song.

tardistraveler

Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:21 am

Well . . .

I'm one who LOVES the demented. I brought my Dr. Demento Presents the Greatest Christmas Novelty CD of All Time to work today.

Yes, it does contain Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer, and Jingle Bells by the Singing Dogs . . . :rolleyes:

Also:

The Chipmunk Song - The Chipmunks
All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth - Spike Jones
The Twelve Gifts of Christmas - Allan Sherman
I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas -- Gayla Peevey
Nuttin' for Christmas - Stan Freberg
A Christmas Carol - Tom Lehrer
I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas - Yogi Yorgesson
Twelve Days of Christmas - Bob and Doug McKenzie
Gree Christmas - Stan Freberg
I'm a Christmas Tree - Wild Man Fisher w/Dr. Demento
I Saw Daddy Kissing Santa Claus - Kip Addotta
Santa Claus and His Old Lady - Cheech & Chong
Christmas at Ground Zero - Weird Al Yankovic
Christmas Dragnet - Stan Freberg

A few of these are more skit/stand-up routine than song, but it's a fair representation of the dementia that is available at Christmas!

I love them all . . . :luv1:

As far as the retchingly wretched stuff . . . I concur with the Musak stuff and the endless succession of Christmas albums by artists that I don't listen to anyway because their music doesn't interest me . . . :rolleyes:

I used to work at a retail store that switched the Musak to the Christmas stuff right after Thanksgiving Day. At first it was a welcome respite from the REGULAR Musak, but after a while it got really bad . . . Arrrgh!

Mr. Stout
Veteran Member
Location: dividing time between Staten Island N.Y. and Freehold N.J.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:19 am

The xmas music is played constantly. It always has for years,but with the way things have been economically this year in the world(very scary!), I could understand the excessive playing of Xmas music. The simple message is to spread good cheer( agood message) and there are far worse things.
Oddly, I can no longer work up rants like I did a few years back and I`m not that cynical anymore, so I `m just going to post a link to my fave Xmas song of all time. I don`t mean to hijack the thread, but I`m in a good mood and it`s my little present ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOfXumI18A

tardistraveler

Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:46 pm

My son found a copy of THIS here at The Great Escape . . . :rolleyes:

http://www.bizarrerecords.com/galleries ... sXmas.html

tardistraveler

Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:12 pm

It came to me this morning . . .

ANYTHING by Amy Grant . . . shudder . . .

Especially "Tennessee Christmas" . . . :rolleyes:

Kalingzeye

Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:22 pm

I can take most songs, up to a point...
But "Do You Hear What I Hear?" makes me want to jump off the Golden Gate.
:eek: GAHHHHHH

happytheman
Charter Member

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:24 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Well . . .

I'm one who LOVES the demented. I brought my Dr. Demento Presents the Greatest Christmas Novelty CD of All Time to work today.

Yes, it does contain Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer, and Jingle Bells by the Singing Dogs . . . :rolleyes:

Also:

The Chipmunk Song - The Chipmunks
All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth - Spike Jones
The Twelve Gifts of Christmas - Allan Sherman
I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas -- Gayla Peevey
Nuttin' for Christmas - Stan Freberg
A Christmas Carol - Tom Lehrer
I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas - Yogi Yorgesson
Twelve Days of Christmas - Bob and Doug McKenzie
Gree Christmas - Stan Freberg
I'm a Christmas Tree - Wild Man Fisher w/Dr. Demento
I Saw Daddy Kissing Santa Claus - Kip Addotta
Santa Claus and His Old Lady - Cheech & Chong
Christmas at Ground Zero - Weird Al Yankovic
Christmas Dragnet - Stan Freberg

A few of these are more skit/stand-up routine than song, but it's a fair representation of the dementia that is available at Christmas!

I love them all . . . :luv1:

As far as the retchingly wretched stuff . . . I concur with the Musak stuff and the endless succession of Christmas albums by artists that I don't listen to anyway because their music doesn't interest me . . . :rolleyes:

I used to work at a retail store that switched the Musak to the Christmas stuff right after Thanksgiving Day. At first it was a welcome respite from the REGULAR Musak, but after a while it got really bad . . . Arrrgh!
I used to love when the Cheech and Chong song got played as well as the McKenzie song! A few years back a friend passed along a tape called Twisted Christmas that got regular airplay. For some reason this season (too busy) I never even found time to put on Jon's album. I think we have settled on a few Windham Hill Christmas related CD's that get regular rotation nowadays.
I didn't realize that Flo and Eddie did the Reindeer song. I've certainly heard it millions of times it seems.
My vote would most likely go to the barking dogs mentioned above as truly irritating.