The New Wave of Prog- recommendations for fellow Yestalkers

Musical and related discussions about other bands.
the greenman
Veteran Member

The New Wave of Prog- recommendations for fellow Yestalkers

Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:31 pm

We started to get into this discussion elsewhere, so I thought I'd start a thread here. There's so much great new Prog about as we move into 2009 that I thought a 'guide for the perplexed' might be handy! So let me kick it off, some may not be 'new' new but it might remind a few folks of what's out there! Feel free to pitch in people!

Mystery- 'beneath the veil', featuring our own 'adopted son' & JA understudy Benoit David singing as himself. If you haven't digged what he's doing the HSW don't let that put you off- this is a really fine prog album. Check it out!

Big Big Train 'the Difference Machine' - an excellent new disc from Bournemouth, England (that's pronounced Born-muth, Alan, just to remind you! Featuring input from parts of Spock's Beard this is an old school prog album with plenty of mellotron sounds and a big landscape of themes. Available on iTunes or direct from the band, from whom you can also get their re-reorder 'english boy wonders' which is also worth a listen.

Frost* - Experiments in Mass Appeal. What a great band. Also out of the good old UK, this one follows on from Milliontown, but takes the band in new directions so don't expect Milliontown 2. Some say it's heavier, darker more brooding, but it combines that with great tunes too, like 'dear dead days'. Released just before Xmas, it was a great end to 2008!

That's enought from me for now! Others?

sound_chaser

Re: The New Wave of Prog- recommendations for fellow Yestalkers

Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:21 pm

I'm afraid, speaking for myself, I'm totally out of touch with modern prog and probably my most recent prog related album is Marillion's Misplaced Childhood (if you don't count Radiohead, that is.). I have heard several songs by the new breed, but I have found what I have heard to be quite derivative of what went before, so as far as prog goes, I do live in the past. I am looking forward to checking out Big Big Train though, as they come from my neck of the woods.

the greenman
Veteran Member

Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:02 pm

I think that's where bands like Frost* et al, start to come into their own, as they're moving beyond the 'derivative' into something that's familiar for sure, but energetic & novel.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I first heard frost* - I thought - this is what I've been waiting 20+ years for!!

yesireebob

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:37 pm

Prog never really went away. Over the years we have had the Flower Kings, the Tangent, Spock's Beard, Glass Hammer, Izz, the Reasoning, Pure Reason Revolution, Canon, many others. And that's just in the vein of what I think of as "classic-style" prog, as compared to prog-metal, alt-prog, or many other "progressions" that defy category. I will definitely have to check out BBT and Frost.

Here is a band I just discovered, Unitopia, from Australia. I read the duo review of their CD, "The Garden" on DPRP and was intrigued enough to buy it. I am really impresssed. It's a two-disc work, with two epic-length songs, one on each disc. Their style incorporates the very best of the Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, the Tangent, Genesis, the original Marillion, with maybe a touch of Muse here and there. If you like any of these bands, you will love this work. The title track, a 22-minute opus, is sublime.

Here's a link to the DPRP review:

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200901.php#unitopia

yesireebob

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:05 pm

Here's a great duo review of Big Big Train, The Difference Machine:

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200752.php#bigbigtrain

And Frost, Experiments in Mass Appeal

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200854.php#frost

Both highly recommended, and now on my list of CD's to get!

Thanks, Greenman! BTW, curious what you think of the reviews.

the greenman
Veteran Member

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:39 pm

yeh, good reviews I think (only time to quickly scan them) - I'll post some more on 'em when I have time to read them more carefully! I think the involvement of 'The Reverend' Rob Aubrey with The Difference Machine shows (he's produced some of Wetton's solo material and also the Wetton/Downes ICON project). That and the input from the Spock's Guys (their keyboard player Ryo Okamoto plays with John Payne in GPS) has helped enormously. & the guys are on a roll.

The re-work of English Boy Wonders is pretty good too.

So much music so little time!

Relayer
Starship Trooper

Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:53 am

Oceansize-I don't know if ths can be called Progressive, but I think they are. Frames
and Everyone into Position, check them out at MySpace.

Roan's Lady

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:04 am

[font=&quot]I think the fact that I've been a Yes and Genesis fan for so long has predisposed me to favor bands (consciously and otherwise) which draw at least some of their influence from these T-Rexes of the prog world. The following are bands that I like very, very much. Do some exploration if you like and see what you think of them:<o></o>
[/font] [font=&quot]<o></o>
[/font] [font=&quot]Ritual - from Sweden, and tidily fitting into the "symph-prog" category (nodding a bit to Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull) with largely-present Swedish folk influences. I was a fan of theirs before seeing them for the first time at last year’s RoSfest, but seeing that performance was a turning point. They were phenomenal live, and impressed me incredibly. Their most recent (The Hemulic Voluntary Band) and their first album (self-titled) are my favorites.<o></o>
[/font] [font=&quot]<o></o>
[/font] Moon Safari - also from Sweden - catchy, bright, and upbeat music, extremely well-performed keyboards and vocal harmonies in particular. I think none of these lads are over 30 - an interesting, unlikely mix of proggy Yes-ish stylings, the Beach Boys, even a bit of Bruce Springsteen - and it works. My favorite of the two albums they've released is their most recent, Blomljud, which translates into "sound of flowers". Fitting. Echolyn - an American band whose early albums (Suffocating the Bloom and As The World) have been hailed as prog "must-haves" and I'd agree - beautiful, rich, complex music and thoughtful themes with well-crafted lyrics - classically inspired, yet also very earthy. Their keyboardist Chris Buzby is in my opinion a brilliant composer/player and terribly underrated. Their latest releases don't quite have this spark, but I'll always have an ear out for what these guys do - their musicianship is tremendous.<o></o> <o></o>
Oblivion Sun - Stan Whitaker and Frank Wyatt (ex-Happy the Man) and company deliver what I'd consider a classic prog sound with Frank's saxophone lending this band a jazzy feel.<o>

</o>
Kino - a short-lived band whose personnel hails from It Bites, Arena, and Marillion - they released only one album to rave reviews, entitled Picture. It's been described as a more driving, heavier "rock/prog" feel. Great hooks, great melodies, John Beck's keyboards are a definite highlight.<o></o> I'm hoping one day, this lineup gets together again and records something new.<o></o> <o></o> Morglbl - this French band is a masterful and tight blend of prog/fusion, with guitar work reminiscent of Steve Vai. Very upbeat and great fun to watch - I saw them last year at NEARfest, where they were a hit.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CAmy%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CAmy%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CAmy%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w :D oNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w :D ontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w :D ontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w :D ontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w :D ontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format :o ther; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> Some that were mentioned by Linda I also like quite a lot, notably Spock's Beard (though I prefer the Neal Morse period) and Izz, whose live show is fantastic. <o></o> <o></o> <o></o> By the way, an aside to those who might be quick to label Dream Theater a "prog" band" - in the holiday issue of Guitar Player, John Petrucci states "We're absolutely a hard rock metal band”, making no mention of prog - now he would know, wouldn't he? :D <o></o>
[font=&quot]<o></o>[/font]
[font=&quot]<o></o>[/font]
[font=&quot]<o>
</o>
[/font]
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

yesireebob

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:22 am

[quote="Roan's Lady"]
Kino - a short-lived band whose personnel hails from It Bites, Arena, and Marillion - they released only one album to rave reviews, entitled Picture. It's been described as a more driving, heavier "rock/prog" feel. Great hooks, great melodies, John Beck's keyboards are a definite highlight [quote]

Kino also included drummer Chris Maitland, formerly of Porcupine Tree. A very fine CD and I, too, would love to seem them reconvene!

As for Dream Theater, they are prog-metal or maybe symphonic metal, arguably the only branch of prog that is getting any attention these days. It's prog on steroids. A lot of bands just hate the prog label because it brands them as uncool and dinosaurish with younger metal or alternative fans. Dream Theater definitely courts the metal heads. They recently toured with Opeth, Three, and Beyond the Buried and Me, they have also toured with Megadeath. But, they also toured with Yes. Steve Howe once played with them, and they do incredible cover works. They have covered everyone from the Dixie Dregs to Elton John, and even covered the entirety of Master of Puppets by Metallica. They are an infinitely diverse and talented band. Symphony X is in the same vein, but DT is quirkier and much more interesting. Speaking of Three, that is one amazing band. I saw them open for Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater, and was blown away. I have two of their albums, the most recent being Wake Pig. Their music ranges from Queen-like theatricality to intricate flamenco guitar work.

A couple of years ago, the local paper had a great music critic and he once did a feature called "New Age of Prog Rock." He proposed Porcupine Tree as the new Pink Floyd, The Mars Volta as the new King Crimson, and Dream Theater as the new Yes. New as in a modern take, amped up and, well, progressed. As a huge fan of all these bands, I found the parallels very apt.

yesireebob

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:31 am

BTW Amy, do check out Unitopia, I think you would really like them. The title track of The Garden has been compared to Supper's Ready, and it's not too off the mark.

Roan's Lady

Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:35 pm

yesireebob wrote:BTW Amy, do check out Unitopia, I think you would really like them. The title track of The Garden has been compared to Supper's Ready, and it's not too off the mark.
Gosh, I've never heard of any song being compared to "Supper's Ready"...that certainly sounds intriguing. Thanks for the info, Linda! :)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

UnionLover

Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:28 pm

Three rec's here: first a band featuring old friends of mine: prog rock and thrash metal mixed in, maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but good drumming and odd arrangments: www.myspace.com/eravulgaris

Second: Andromeda, from Sweden: very complex drumming, great vocals,superb bass, and strange lead guitar...good keyboards too, and not too heavy.... www.andromedaonline.com

Third: Enslaved...a northern metal band from Haugesund....Isa,Ruun,Vertebrae, and Monumension are all very proggy like Hawkwind.... www.enslaved.no

Any Yes fan who likes the heavier elements of Drama and Talk etc will surely find these bands interesting!