Vacation Investigation!

Feel like discussing other things with your YEStalk friends? Speak your mind in our off-topic YEStalk section.
Roan's Lady

Vacation Investigation!

Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:13 pm

I was talking to hubby about vacations today, as we have a week at the end of August that we can use. Traditionally, we go to the shore here in New Jersey, as it is close and befitting of a summer destination. Alan was sort of lukewarm on the idea, as we have been going for many years, and he is fair-skinned and has to slather himself with SPF 45 a few times a day, as long as we are out in the sun and in the ocean. (Fortunately, our son does not have this problem - he inherited his mother's more olive complexion. :) ) So we are now considering some alternatives. Perhaps camping. Or maybe a trip to a cool city (other than NY, DC, and Boston - places we've been to many times).
Can anyone suggest a good spot for a week, or share some experiences about favorite vacation destinations! :D

hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

Ed Schaum

Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:35 pm

My favorite place in the world is the Adirondacks. Check out Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake, or Lake Placid if you've got the bux.

We're trying out a new place in a few weeks, looks promising:
http://www.lakejoseph.com

N2yes
Starship Trooper

Vacation? What's That?

Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:58 pm

Ed's referrence to the Adirondacks brings to memory a funny story when we first moved to New England. We were in Shelburne, VT. and had elected to have breakfast at the motel were were staying. The waitress, an obvious old-timer sort of gal, was working with us and I inquired about the mountain range across Lake Champlain and she rather blandly looked over and said, "Oh, those are the adinorax." Kinda says something about the quality of the establishment we were in doesn't it?

Myself, I prefer 2 weeks whenever I can get 'em back-to-back, to explore the wilds of Nova Scotia. It really is so glorious. Taking the CAT over there is but one of thousands of niceities one can enjoy in doing so. If this is not possible, then it's off to the 'pearl' of the south, Hatteras National Seashore in North Carolina. Still plenty of uninhabited beaches to discover along with real waves in which to body-surf.

Still, ultimately, if I had my way, I would travel to Alaska to see Denali and to hang out with the caribou for a bit. No grizzlies mind you, there just too damn big and well, hungry usually.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

Squire*Fan725
Starship Trooper

Aaah, camping...

Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:11 am

As long as I can remember, I've always loved camping. during my childhood, my family would always go up to Gananoque in Ontairo.

The most recent place I been to was in Barryville, at Kittatinny (sp??)Campgrounds, near Port Jervis, NY.

Now I'm lucky if I even get to go to the woods in Cheesquake Park!!

Then, there were the trips to the Shore and the beach house "The X" used to rent for a bout a week...They were fun, but there were also some drawbacks...

This summer, I plan on vacationing for a few hours in Holmdel, at the PNC, with my favorite band and a handful of fans!! :D ;) [:yes]
[CENTER][:f3] "I guess I'm bigger than I used to be!" - Chris Squire, 1-7-06, Vintage Vinyl.[:f1][/CENTER]

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Vacation

Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:52 am

Italy! I've never been there. So Amy, you'll have to go and share your experince with us! I can live the experience through you until I can go. How selfish of me!

Roan's Lady

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:16 pm

I'm practically drooling, reading about all of these great-sounding places...
We have been camping in the Adirondacks ("Adinorax" - classic! Sounds like Dr. Seuss - lol!) but only once, and there is a place I'd like to get to again, for sure. I checked out lakejoseph.com, what a gorgeous place! Thanks for sharing that link, Ed. :) Jodi, I actually have been to Italy - years ago, in college. My boyfriend at the time, who was done with college, had business there, so he took me. We also went to France. It was great, but I decidedly did not have the mentality to appreciate it fully. Europe is definitely a place I'd like to return to.
Looks like one day this weekend, I may be "vacationing" solo to Bradley Beach - exit 100B off the Garden State Parkway. Hey, it'll be great! And of course, Dahni, I'll be at the same vacation spot as you on August 27th! :D
~moon safari

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:30 am

I'll be visiting my sister who lives in California during the last week of July. I'm really looking forward to this trip because for the past ten years I've only been able to see her at family funerals. She lives about an hour from LA in Valencia. I was in California a number of years ago and got to see the new Getty Museum. WOW! We just didn't have enough time to see the whole place because we arrived a little too late in the evening. I also enjoyed the wineries in Temecula. I loved Seal Beach and the friends I met who live there. I'll definately make a trip back to the Getty. Do you have any suggestions as to some other areas of interest? I'm not interested in the typical touristy places. I don't care about the "Holllywood Star" stuff. I thank you in advance!

Chris2210

Italy!

Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:58 pm

I was hoping to go back to Italy this Summer for a good stretch but that may not happen now whilst we wrangle with an insurance company over building repairs. It's a long story and I'm convinced they have no case for refusal to pay out but Christine will not go away until she's certain the cost of repairs (a lot of cash!) will be covered. In the meantime I have to look back wistfully on the photos of Venice and Treviso (where we stayed the last couple of times we visited).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Italy!

Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:03 pm

Chris, I do hope you and your lady can go to Italy. I've been wanting to for so many years. I'll get there soon. Thanks for sharing the photos, they're beautiful! If I had only one place to pick in Europe, it would be Italy. More pictures would be welcomed. :) Also, you could include some of your favorite places. I'll live vicariously through your travels to this beautiful land.

guilddigger
Starship Trooper

Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:29 pm

lovely pics chris! italy really is a beautiful country. did you ever go up north to lake garda? i was there for a week in the spring of -92 and it is absolutely breathtaking! i hope i will be able to go back there sometime. the drive from milan south to genuva is also spectacular. all those bridges...
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges

Silent_wings

Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:40 pm

Cool things to do in CA

LA museum of art
http://www.lacma.org/
The page museum
http://www.tarpits.org/
La bera Tar pits smell but cool
Armand Hammer museum
http://www.hammer.ucla.edu/
Descanso gardens
http://www.descanso.com/index.cfm
very cool

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:50 am

Thank you Silent Wings for the links. These look like some great places to see. :D

Stoutman
Charter Member

Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:03 am

Usually, my wife and I will vacation around Atlantic City and other points among the Jersey shore. Like you, Wild westie, I like Caifornia myself. I have been out to L.A. and San Diego. I found san Diego to be avery nice city and the weather is perfect forme; Temps in the 60`s and 70`s. None of that horrible, NYC humiddity we get here.
Another place Im enamored of is Vegas. Yes, Ilike to gamble, even though I always lose my money in thse places. Bu it`s a challenge, to make something out of nothing, or in my case, to make nothing out of something. There are otheractivities to do out there in Sin City. You can never get bored and that`s one place I would return to in a drop of a hat.
My better half has plans for us to go to Disney world.Im not looking forward to that at all,but since she has not been well for some years, it`s the first real vacation we will have together, so I owe it to her....Who knows, maybe Ill enjoy it. I hope my wallet can stand it...

YesJodi
Veteran Member

Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:12 pm

I'll be at the Jersey Shore almost all summer Amy, so if you change your mind and head my way, let me know! I'll be in Sea Isle, Stone Harbor, Wildwood Crest, Cape May and N. Wildwood.

As for other ideas, the Poconos are fun and not too expensive, you can get a cabin on Lake Wallenpaupeck and canoe, swim, horseback ride, hike, etc.

I will be going to LA in September to visit my agent friend again, it's soooo much fun! But I won't have the kids, so I can really live the life out there for a few days.

Roan's Lady

Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:31 pm

YesJodi wrote:I'll be at the Jersey Shore almost all summer Amy, so if you change your mind and head my way, let me know! I'll be in Sea Isle, Stone Harbor, Wildwood Crest, Cape May and N. Wildwood.
Well, we've decided on two places for this summer after looking at our budget - tight this year due to some unforeseen expenses! One is Lake George - just hubby and I for the weekend at the end of July - wah wah ]
~moon safari

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:05 am

[quote="Stoutman"]Usually, my wife and I will vacation around Atlantic City and other points among the Jersey shore. Like you, Wild westie, I like Caifornia myself. I have been out to L.A. and San Diego. I found san Diego to be avery nice city and the weather is perfect forme]
Mr. Stoutman,
I do hope your better half will get better soon. I went to Vegas a few years ago. I'm not a gambler, but I enjoyed the shows, the food and especially all of those lights. I can't wait to get to California. I have my tickets in hand. We'll have to suffer through some Disney Land and other Hollywood tourish stuff because my youngest sister will be going with me.
After this year, we all need some fun. And damn, we're going to have some! :D

Kissdthsky
Charter Member

Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:03 pm

wild_westie wrote:I'll be visiting my sister who lives in California during the last week of July. I'm really looking forward to this trip because for the past ten years I've only been able to see her at family funerals. She lives about an hour from LA in Valencia. I was in California a number of years ago and got to see the new Getty Museum. WOW! We just didn't have enough time to see the whole place because we arrived a little too late in the evening. I also enjoyed the wineries in Temecula. I loved Seal Beach and the friends I met who live there. I'll definately make a trip back to the Getty. Do you have any suggestions as to some other areas of interest? I'm not interested in the typical touristy places. I don't care about the "Holllywood Star" stuff. I thank you in advance!
if you have the time, take a drive up to Santa Barbara. it's absolutely gorgeous. also, if you have the time...keep driving and go up to Solvang (it's about 40 min. north of SB) - it's a quaint Dutch village - lots of shops, bakeries, etc.

and if you REALLY have the time...keep driving north and go to the Hearst Castle (about an hour north of SB...btw, SB is 1 1/2 hours of LA). It's phenomenal!!!
Kissd
"when stars collide like you and i...." (Elton John/The One)

"Today the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it." (Anne O'Hare McCormick, foreign correspondent for the New York Times"

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:50 am

Kissdthsky wrote:if you have the time, take a drive up to Santa Barbara. it's absolutely gorgeous. also, if you have the time...keep driving and go up to Solvang (it's about 40 min. north of SB) - it's a quaint Dutch village - lots of shops, bakeries, etc.

and if you REALLY have the time...keep driving north and go to the Hearst Castle (about an hour north of SB...btw, SB is 1 1/2 hours of LA). It's phenomenal!!!

Thank you for the information. Tell us, if you will, about your trip to London. Did you have a good time? I would love to read about it.

sound_chaser

Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:07 pm

My favourite holiday destination, is Corralejo (pronounced Correlekko.), which is on the Canarian island of Fuerteventura. When you first leave the airport for the resort, you think you’ve made a big mistake, because the surrounding area is quite barren, and is mainly made up of rocks and extinct volcanoes. Almost imperceptibly, as you near the town, you become surrounded by sand until you are engulfed in the sand dunes. To your right, you can see a beautiful turquoise sea and you can also make out the island of Lanzarote. The sand is brilliant white and it is blown over from the Sahara desert. The town itself is really cool and mainly laid back as it is a very popular area with surfers. I found a couple of great music bars and have many great memories of this lovely town. Being close to Africa, you can imagine the temperature can be very warm, but my wife and I are both sun loving beach bums, so it’s our ideal destination. In a few years time, when the kids are all grown up and the mortgage is paid off, we plan to spend an entire summer over there.

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:24 pm

Amy:
See if Alan would mind if I tagged along.....I haven't been on a true vacation in years and I pick up after myself too, you wouldn't even notice I was there......lol

OK:
My suggestion is probably for some future time and definitely after Italy...

South Nevada: Low Down
Vegas-shows,food,sights-no place like it
Desert-Valley of Fire, Red Rocks Park, both an hours drive from Vegas
Grand Canyon/Hoover Dam-wonders of the world, both easy to reach from Vegas
Parumph, NV-The Chicken Ranch, 90 miles from Vegas, legal and I have a "menu"

North Nevada:High
Lake Tahoe-shows, food, sight, hiking, alpine smell (like Jon)
Ghost Towns
Wally's Spa-natural hot springs, hot tubs, restaurant, vineyard

I can be your "guide".....
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

Kissdthsky
Charter Member

trip to London

Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:31 pm

wild_westie wrote:Thank you for the information. Tell us, if you will, about your trip to London. Did you have a good time? I would love to read about it.
i had a fabulous time! although the trip was for business, i managed to get to a couple of parties (HotHouse Music and Abbey Road Annual BBQ) so that was a lot of fun. I've made a lot of friends over there the past few years so it's always a pleasure to hang out with them.

i went to see "Jerry Springer, The Opera"...ohmylord!!! as my boss aptly put it, "it's extremely vile....but funny". i'm not sure it would go over as well here in the States - the censors here would rip it to shreds.

while i was there (and just a few blocks from where i stay), all the streets in Covent Garden and Picadilly Circus were blocked off for the Formula 1 car race; the Queen dedicated the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain in Hyde Park and Prince William ran in a charity race. pretty festive all the way around!

:angel:
:dazzler1:
Kissd

"Today the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it." (Anne O'Hare McCormick, foreign correspondent for the New York Times"

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:11 pm

Sounds like fun! I'm leaving for California Saturday. :D

Roan's Lady

Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:16 pm

This weekend, we were away at Lake George, NY and had a wonderful time!
We did some sailing, hiking, sightseeing (we spent a good portion of Saturday at Fort Ticonderoga, which was quite interesting), and "lounging around"...
It's a beautiful place; we'll definitely go back.
We're thinking of taking the train to Montreal for a long weekend sometime in the fall...if anyone has been there and has any suggestions for must-see-and-do activities, let me know! :)
~moon safari

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:56 am

I had the most wonderful time visiting my sister in California. I went with my youngest sister. It was a week with the girls and we had a blast. The highlight of the trip was riding roller coasters at Magic Mountain. This is the next best thing to skydiving. I was a kid in that amusement park. 16 roller coasters!
I'm hooked! I've only ridden a few coasters in my life. This experience has now certified me as a coaster enthusiast! :D We road X at night in the front. WOW, what a rush! I can't wait to go back. My sister and I share so much in common and have the same wacky sense of humour. I just love her. Not knowing, we both chose the same ringtone on our mobiles. We're only 14 months apart and people mistake us for twins. I feel blessed that we're very close. We've been through so much in our life.

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:49 am

BTW. I'm going to move to California as soon as I can land a job there. I love it! :D

Roan's Lady

Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Jodi, glad you had a great time in CA with your sisters - welcome back! :D
I've only been there once, years ago - I must have been 18 or so, with my parents. San Francisco was our first stop, and from there we drove down to San Diego. Stand-out places were Carmel, Big Sur, La Jolla, San Luis Obispo. Just beautiful! I had my first cup of coffee on that trip, and it started me on the road to habitual use. Guess I could have developed worse habits there! ;) I'd love to go back and explore more, now that I'm older and wiser. :)
~moon safari

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:43 am

Roan's Lady wrote:Jodi, glad you had a great time in CA with your sisters - welcome back! :D
I've only been there once, years ago - I must have been 18 or so, with my parents. San Francisco was our first stop, and from there we drove down to San Diego. Stand-out places were Carmel, Big Sur, La Jolla, San Luis Obispo. Just beautiful! I had my first cup of coffee on that trip, and it started me on the road to habitual use. Guess I could have developed worse habits there! ]

Thanks Amy! Wow, your picture! You're one hot babe!
San Fransisco is a great city. BTW, I love California so much that we're making plans to move there. The details are on the "What's Going on in Your Life" thread. :D

Kissdthsky
Charter Member

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:49 am

wild_westie wrote:Thanks Amy! Wow, your picture! You're one hot babe!
San Fransisco is a great city. BTW, I love California so much that we're making plans to move there. The details are on the "What's Going on in Your Life" thread. :D
So glad you had such a great time while here. Magic Mountain is about 1/2 hour from my house; I was just there in June when my niece and her hubby were out for a visit. Personally, I don't do roller coasters anymore....I went on a couple of rides but none of the big coasters. They absolutely love them and went on every single one. Not sure which was their favorite - they loved them all!! =D

You're going to move out here? I'll read the post in the other thread for details. I'm glad you love it out here - someone has to. LOL. Personally, if it weren't for my career choice, I'd move back east in (to use the cliche) a NY Second! Oh well....someday.

:angel:
:dazzler1:
Kissd

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:12 am

[quote="Kissdthsky"]So glad you had such a great time while here. Magic Mountain is about 1/2 hour from my house]
Thank you for your post Kissdthsky. I've never been to NYC. But, I bet I would love to live there as well. I prefer to live in large cities or at least close by. I can't tell you how exciting those coasters were. I rode all the big ones! Since I love to skydive, and don't get the opportunity that often, coasters are the next best thing. My sister doesn't do the big coasters. I laughed while my two sisters were riding the old school rides. I could see most of the riders getting sick. You don't have time to get sick on a coaster.
But those old rides are too long and I get tremendously sick on those. I hope you get back to NYC one day!

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:22 am

NYC is great...I worked for "The Donald" from 1980-84 at Grand Hyatt New York on 42nd Street/Park Ave. Ivana was the day to day person we dealth with but Mr Trump and his dad Fred would drop in often...
The plays, concerts, food, sites and variety of everthing LIFE has to offer is right there....can you tell "I MISS NY"....

and I lived 3 blocks from the Hudson River "upstate" (not really the REAL upstate) in the small town of Peekskill...."Almost Famous" for 4 things I recall..
1.The tv program "Facts Of Life" is set there, if you ever watch it you will note they mention "Peekskill" at least once a show,
2.& 3. Both Mel Gibson and Pee Wee Herman (Paul Reubens) were born there-no they weren't "twins separated at birth"..Mel's family moved to Australia when he was 9 yrs old or so...PeeWee moved to his "PlayHouse" and then almost to the "Big House"......
4. The mayor while I lived there was George Pataki-now the NY Gov...and YES he dined at my house twice I recall at the then "30Somethings" dinner parties-WE were famous for fine "southern cusine"...lol and he was there to mingle with voters of course.....We actually went door to door Christmas Caroling once with the "mayor" in tow.....Fa LaLaLaLa La LaLaLa....
wild_westie wrote:Thank you for your post Kissdthsky. I've never been to NYC. But, I bet I would love to live there as well. I prefer to live in large cities or at least close by.
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California