Someone had to bring it up

Feel like discussing other things with your YEStalk friends? Speak your mind in our off-topic YEStalk section.
ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Someone had to bring it up

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:24 am

so it may as well be me.

What did you think of the first debate?

I thought that Kerry looked prepared, polished and professional and that W looked distracted and petulant.

For kicks and giggles go to the Debate Message Board on AOL,,,some of the posts (about both sides) are hilarious!!
Theres a time, and the time is now, and it's right for me,
Theres a word, and word is love, and it's right for me. [:yes]

Gary
Charter Member

I really tried to watch and get through it, but.............

Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:08 pm

there was just sooooooo much nonsense. They both tried so hard to be the extreme opposite of each other. The best one was Kerry saying that Bush didn't spend one nickel on Cops and Firefighters, then Bush said that they spent 3.1 billion on cops and firefighters. That's a pretty big discrepancy. How do you know whom to believe?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com :o ffice :o ffice" /><o :p ></o :p >

<o :p ></o :p >

I don't think any Presidential candidate really has the people as their priority. <o :p ></o :p >

<o :p ></o :p >

Some history..................When the authors of the constitution gathered in Philadelphia (after the first government failed), they devised the government into 3 separate, but NOT equal branches. Yes, there were many checks and balances written into the system, but they were not devised as equal. The legislative branch was set up to create policy, based on the constituents that elected them into office. The judicial branch was to enforce policy and argue discrepancy. The administrative branch (the president) was simply that.... administrative. The president was not supposed to be the leader of the world, not to be the figurehead by which the country was led. The president was just there to get things, that the legislative branch enacted, done.

tardistraveler

Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:47 pm

I felt that Kerry was on the offensive and had Bush's number. Kerry came across as well-prepared, well-spoken, professional, and knowledgeable. Bush hemmed and hawed, seemed almost flabbergasted by some of the points Kerry was making, fumbled around with his notes, etc. He did NOT come across as someone who was a decisive President.

My son was cracking up practically every time Bush spoke (he's only 13) - was amazed at how little substance was in his remarks.

I'm sure the Bush supporters among us will have an entirely different take on the debates.

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:29 pm

It is amazing the diverse opinions of the people who all watch the same thing isn't it? I was up until 2am reading the posts on the AfterDebate message boards and I had to wonder if they had watched the same debate I had. LOL

Roan's Lady

Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:41 pm

If it wasn't so painful for me to watch Dubya, it would have been high comedy. Unfortunately, however, this "comedian" will likely be in the White House for four more years. I would hold his performance up as an example of how NOT to present oneself in a way which commands respect and inspires admiration. I could barely understand his arguments and the points he was trying to make as he repeated himself ad nauseum in lame attempts to discredit Kerry. His body language defied the message in his "strong" words. His fidgety behavior was irritating, he had the look of someone caught in a lie, and overall, he appeared uncomfortable and quite lacking in confidence. For the life of me, I don't understand why he thinks our involvement in Iraq is so central to the fight against terrorism. What has it accomplished? Nothing. And what hate, alienation, and violence has it generated? Immeasurable amounts. I'm constantly in disbelief that this misguided individual is the leader of our nation. I can't wait to hear, among other domestic issues, what his justification is for making my non-English speaking students score higher on standardized language tests than he likely would. Outrageous. :mad:
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

YesJodi
Veteran Member

Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:26 am

AMEN!!! It would have been funny, if not so scary. He looked like Alfred E. Nueman from MAD magazine. He was baffled and couldn't think of any good arguments for his war and his foreign policies exept "mixed messages" constantly. I loved Kerry's statement "It's one thing to be certain, but it's another to be certain about the wrong thing"

I also don't understand how he puts attacking Iraq and 9/11 together. And to call it "rebuilding" is just a joke so far. We are still fighting. Yeah, now there are terrorists over there, but they weren't there until we showed up with our barrels and weapons of mass destruction.

I could go on, but all I know is that he is as unconvincing as ever, that Bush.

yesireebob

Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:35 am

The best comment I ran across describing Bush's facial expression while Kerry was speaking was that of a dog when it first sees itself in a mirror; kind of curious, kind of confused, maybe it'll attack... LOL!! Yes, folks this is the leader of the free world.

Actually, I work next door to the recorder's office, and I voted the day of the debate. I was not even going to watch the debate, figuring with all the rules laid down, both candidates would just give speeches. Absolutely nothing in this world could possibly make me decide to vote for Bush, anyway. Not that I think Kerry is all that great, he was not my first choice (that was Leiberman), but he isn't Bush and that's all the credentials he needs in my book.

But when I got home from work, my teenage son was watching the debate, and said, hey mom c'mere and watch this, Bush is getting his butt kicked! And my son was on the fence, candidate-wise. Even my mom, a long-time Republican and a big Bush supporter, said that Bush did get his butt kicked and that she was so sick at his poor performance she could not watch the whole thing.

The next two debates should interesting, this first one was supposed to have been Bush's strongest. He might just be the best thing that happened to Kerry!

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:08 am

"W" cannot debate, he can read, recite a few slogans that generally get predicted cheering from his hand picked audiences so when he is in a forum like the debates he doesn't know what to do with the 2 minute, non-soundbites of time...he obviously doesn't listen to anyone but his "Yes-men" sorry Jon and company.....even with all the rules applied he still stunk and during the ONE debate he was suppose to best at......
On "Imus In The Morning" radio/tv show they were saying the Bush camp was telling "W" that Kerry was as good as Marcus Tullius Cicero at debate and that they had to tell "W" WHO that was and no Cicero was not coaching Kerry......lol

Tomorrow night my NC "homeboy" will be going up against VP Cheney-who has been practicing SINCE the middle of August...think he's "nervous"???
Wonder if Haliburton is going to be "mentioned"....lol
They better bring a defib.......This one will look like Darth "VP" Vader against Luke Skywalker......"May The Force Be With You".... John
Change We Must.....

CLEAR!!! zap!!......

And Friday, back to the big boys or Gurly Men.........the "domestic issues" debate!!!??? What will "W" defend here....?
Time for "magic"....."W"......domestic??? lol lol lol.....
We won't even TRY to form collalitions under "W"s watch for securing peace or going to war while protecting other nations as well as our own but we will send other nations a record of number of jobs while spending a record number of billions of dollars we don't have....it IS ok to change courses, act on new info..."W" reminds me a stubborn old man that gets lost driving and won't use a map or stop and ask for directions...just keeps on going the "W"rong "W"ay

John/John are NOT perfect, no one will be but geez...we need someone who can read "maps" and understand "directions" and CHANGE where prudent.......
Hopefully the general voting public will "Get It" soon......

"W"on't Get Fooled Again.......
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:17 am

I can't wait till the next debate either.

Did ya see that it looks like my state of Ohio, with 20 electoral votes is the hot state right now. From what I read, that's one reason the Vice-Pres. debate was picked to be in Columbus,,,the Reps are trying to swing the Ohio swing voters their way.

The latest polls, since the debate have Bush ahead in Ohio, by a small margin. I DON'T know where they get these ppl they poll!!! I have talked to a lot of ppl, one's that voted for Bush last time, undecidedes, Inds. , and they have all told me they are voting for Kerry now. We can only hope.

My boss's husband, a puter dude with a good job in Pittsburgh, just lost his job,,,they've sent it overseas. It sickens me.

Gary
Charter Member

"just lost his job,,,they've sent it overseas. It sickens me. "

Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:53 pm

I share your illness. Unfortunately, there are too many people in other countries whose standards of living are far below ours here in the US. There are many people out there willing to do the same job for far less money.

This has affecting almost every industry you can think of. Those who pay the bills will always seek out ways to reduce cost and maximize profit. The 10 million dollar per year CEOs have to appease the stock holders. We live in a capitalist global age and capitalist global economy. Corporations are also global. For better of for worse, this is the way it is. I don't see how a change in administration can slove this problem.

YesJodi
Veteran Member

Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:34 pm

It won't change unless we keep harping on it in this country, and if Kerry can give some tax advantages to compannies who DON'T go overseas for staffing, it might be a beginning. Look at Delaware, they don't tax the businesses and there are sooooo many that have major offices there now. Maybe we should study what Delaware does to draw corporations.

Loved your comments guys, so true, why can't more people see it? But than again, why can't more people get Yes? :cool:

My Mom is an indi and she was undecided until the debate as well, now she is Kerry all the way. After witnessing the leader of the free world on his own, without his catchy phrase sound bites and written speeches, it was a wake up call for alot of people. I'm looking forward to watching again.

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:15 am

Just to play Devil's Advocate here: sending those jobs overseas is probably allowing MANY people in countries like India, Phillipines, etc, to actually feed their families. Without work they're in WAY more trouble than any of us in North America, since welfare is pretty much nonexistent in a lot of poorer nations.
Is that not true? ;)
I guess it comes back to this one thing: it's us or them, sadly... and I'm not speaking as someone who is in FAVOR or shipping jobs overseas, but as I said, someone will suffer either way, unfortunately.

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:25 pm

VP Debate Thumbnail:

If it were NOT apparant to who the "Organ Grinder" is and who is "The Chimp" in THIS administration just watch a replay of the VP Debate.....

Cheney hardly "acknowledged" he was there as a VP with an incumbent Pres he was to promote, defend, justify......who's pulling who's strings.???.....
I think we know.....
Like Edwards said, "Having a long resume does not mean there's a long history of good judgement" either......or something close to that....

This Friday's debate and a "Town Hall" Meeting setting discussing "Domestic" Issues should be interesting.......

Sitting Senators are also easy prey for other politicians since they have voting records that have to be defended, justified.....Things change, they evolve and progress, new information becomes available, IT's OK to "CHANGE"....ask the folks from the TITANIC if they wish the Captain would have "CHANGED" Courses, he HAD information that he should have.....
Who thinks they're "King of The World" and doesn't need to change......anyway...
I think that's why former Governors are more successful at running for Pres, we'll see, we'll see.....only the stronge survive....

AND today, I had a student here at school, who happens to be a Bush supporter, tell me he thinks that the Bush camp is sitting on info about Osama Bin Laden whereabouts and will try to bring him in about election time.....and that's OK with him.....IF that were to be true.......and people think that's alright....we are in big big trouble......

And the organ grinder player on....
Hotel California

tardistraveler

Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:43 pm

I saw the VP debate last night - Cheney IS much more articulate than Bush, and held his own against Edwards. Edwards did well too - acknowledged he doesn't have such a long political history as Cheney - but his youthful enthusiasm was refreshing and engaging.

Can't wait for the next Presidential debate - "W" doesn't stand a chance on domestic issues.

Roan's Lady

Who Needs Sleeping Pills When You've Got CHENEY??

Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:19 pm

I saw the debate too, and dour-faced Cheney did slightly better than I expected. There are going to be a lot of Bush supporters thinking, "phew, at least he did ok". Hooray.
I liked Edwards well enough - he came off confident, knowledgable and bless him, ENTHUSIASTIC - imagine that??
He's not hard on the eyes, either. Nice smile.
;)
I think there should be a new slogan in the Kerry/Edwards camp: CHANGE WE MUST. Do you think Jon would go along with that?

hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

N2yes
Starship Trooper

B vs. J and D vs. J

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:59 am

While I particularly admire George's stand on terrorism, he has mishandled the war terribly. I won't bash him, but the man is not capable in the slightest, of intellectual debate. I would have to whole-heartedly disagree with Trev's assertion that to have gone to Yale ( or whatever example he cited ), he has to be smart in a sense. Horsefeathers! GW went to school back when money could get you wherever you wanted to be ( not much has changed, eh? ) not to mention stateside assignments to keep you from serving in Vietnam. He is a man of conviction ( DUI some years ago ), I'll give him that, but his goofy little pouty looks were a definite turn-off. We turned in a surplus back into a deficit, that point is irrefutably true. Not good for generations to come. He is responsible no matter how the pundits try to twist things. He looked strong on his convictions, but believe me, that's not enough to remain in the oval office. Sure, we don't necessarily need an Einstein in office, but I'm not to sure I like the idea of the shifty-eyed ( but highly intelligent ) Cheney pulling the strings behind the curtains.

Kerry looked and sounded presidential, period! Immediate response profile with a significant amount of substance to back it up. Middle America seems to be the focus and that can never be a bad thing. Nothing more need to be said, IMHO.

Now, as for the Cheney Vs. Edwards debate, well, I'd have to say it was really close to being a draw. Two very intelligent men hitting the issues and at times, drawing blood in the process. Edwards rightfully dogged Cheney all night about Iraq and Cheney rightfully illuminated Edwards' poor senatorial participation. Who looks worse as a result? Your call, but for me, Edwards won it by a hair by being persistent and sticking to REAL down-to-earth topics. Cheney did not help himself by appearing to be an old toad cemented to a toadstool ( flat affect ). He did, however, have a commanding mastery of many facts which was quite impressive. But hey, when he was former Sec. Of Defense, I knew the guy had the brains. I just can't trust his intentions to be quite honest. This was a much closer contest all the way around.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:19 am

I didn't get to see the VP debate, I wasn't feeling well and went to bed at 6:30, got the low down on it from a friend this morning. Reading your posts about it was enlightening also.

I got the shock of my life this evening when my hubby told me that he's voting for "W". He said he doesn't like Kerry's congressional voting record. I told him that Kerry's voting record pales in comparision to the 1054 troops that have died in Iraq. I also told him that he'd better watch out, if the Dept. of Homeland Security "decides" that bikers are a terrorist threat that WE'RE IN TROUBLE. (sarcasm is my finest point you know!)

BTW, I read in the latest Newsweek that the Dept of Homeland Security had to admit that the information and intelligence they had on Cat Stevens was so old and "soft" (as they put it), that it looks like the government will have to issue an apology to him.

yesireebob

Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:41 am

Cheney did NOT have a good command of the facts, he lied. In fact, he DID say that there were ties between Iraq and 9/11. Remember him saying that that Mohamed Atta, one of the hijackers on 9/11, met with an Iraqi official in Prague?? In fact he DID meet Edwards before the debate. As for the Halliburton thing, the website that he said would have the facts to rebut Edward's charges did not. In fact, he gave the wrong website, and the owner of that website immediately directed the address to an anti-Bush site!! LOL! See factcheck.com. But I read that the right website, factcheck.org, did not have the facts, either. Ewards charged that while Cheney was CEO, Halliburton did business with sworn enemies of the United States, and paid millions of dollars in fines for providing false financial information. All factcheck.org rebuts is a different charge, that Cheney collected $2million from Halliburton as vice president. But even that is not right, because Cheney actually collected a bunch of money as vice president-elect, including nearly $1.5 million on Jan. 18, 2001, two days before his inauguration. Aside for these deceits and more, I thought Cheney came off as petulant and disrespectful. He refused to answer a few questions, and when the moderator addressed AIDS in African-American women, he said he did not know of those figures. He didn't seem to care much either. The only thing I DO give him credit for is standing up for the rights of his gay daughter and not refuting Edward's comments that Bush is making this a divisive issue. Glad to know that Darth Vader has a heart! Cheney looked and acted a lot smarter and self-possessed than Bush because he IS. Bush comes across as having a lot of conviction, because he DOES. The problem is, for all his conviction, Bush is stupid. And for all Cheney's smarts, he is evil ... Not that Kerry/Edwards is the team of my dreams. Too bad the best candidates do not win the primaries. Why aren't we debating McCain vs. Leiberman?? How about a ticket with McCain AND Leiberman??

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:55 pm

Never met Edwards, never associated 9/11 to Iraq.....I know "they" think Americans are dumb but dumber than "them"...
I'm trying not to name names...lol

"May The FARCE Be With You".........lol

Flash from the Past or It'll NEVER happen or Can't Happen...
How about a ticket with:
Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King........
Hotel California

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:17 am

yesireebob wrote:Cheney did NOT have a good command of the facts, he lied. In fact, he DID say that there were ties between Iraq and 9/11. Remember him saying that that Mohamed Atta, one of the hijackers on 9/11, met with an Iraqi official in Prague?? In fact he DID meet Edwards before the debate. As for the Halliburton thing, the website that he said would have the facts to rebut Edward's charges did not. In fact, he gave the wrong website, and the owner of that website immediately directed the address to an anti-Bush site!! LOL! See factcheck.com. But I read that the right website, factcheck.org, did not have the facts, either. Ewards charged that while Cheney was CEO, Halliburton did business with sworn enemies of the United States, and paid millions of dollars in fines for providing false financial information. All factcheck.org rebuts is a different charge, that Cheney collected $2million from Halliburton as vice president. But even that is not right, because Cheney actually collected a bunch of money as vice president-elect, including nearly $1.5 million on Jan. 18, 2001, two days before his inauguration. Aside for these deceits and more, I thought Cheney came off as petulant and disrespectful. He refused to answer a few questions, and when the moderator addressed AIDS in African-American women, he said he did not know of those figures. He didn't seem to care much either. The only thing I DO give him credit for is standing up for the rights of his gay daughter and not refuting Edward's comments that Bush is making this a divisive issue. Glad to know that Darth Vader has a heart! Cheney looked and acted a lot smarter and self-possessed than Bush because he IS. Bush comes across as having a lot of conviction, because he DOES. The problem is, for all his conviction, Bush is stupid. And for all Cheney's smarts, he is evil ... Not that Kerry/Edwards is the team of my dreams. Too bad the best candidates do not win the primaries. Why aren't we debating McCain vs. Leiberman?? How about a ticket with McCain AND Leiberman??

Talk to my husband, would ya? We had a "discussion" when I came home from work and he told me that he's voting for Bush, because he feels he "owes" it to the Rep. party for saving his job. In the meantime, he and his coworkers ignore all the other facts about this administration. It's very frustrating. I agree that Kerry/Edwards aren't my dream team either. I really wish Hillary had run. The fact of the matter is that I'm afraid of what another 4 yrs. under Bush will result in, I don't have that fear of Kerry. I hate to use the slogan,,,but change IS what we need.

I LOVE MY COUNTRY,
BUT I FEAR MY GOVERNMENT

N2yes
Starship Trooper

NO question...

Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:42 am

that Cheney lied, however, he didn't lie about everything. Like him or not, the man is a shrewd politician. He possesses a sharp analytical mind and is more than capable of successfully debating the keenest of opponents. My concern is that I believe that he uses that mind for purposes other than the public good. Haliburton is but one of many examples. GW tends to ride on his convictions ( sometimes right, sometimes wrong ) as well as pandering to the designs of big money. Simply put, neither man is environmentally friendly, the war in Iraq has been fought with ignorance and the debt is beyond all reason. Time to vacate the premises.

While I don't particularly care for the fact that both Kerry and Edwards have near-deplorable senate attendance and voting records, I find that they are the better men for this job based primarily on their mutual receptivity to the voices of the world community. Does this mean we require global approval for the defense of the nation? I think not! However, I do not believe that time will prove this administration right in their zeal for righting perceived wrongs. The entire world cannot be wrong and inversely, nor can we be right about everything. Remember Allende in Chile? Sorry to say, but even Castro came to us to help him overhtrow the ruthless dictator Batista and we turned him down. He did not seek Moscow's aid first. Iran's revolutionary government came about primarily as a result of the brutal repression of dissent seen under the Shah, a virtual tyrant we supported. Was that that replaced him better? Well, we know that's a joke, but it should have told us to be careful with whom we sleep with.

I think it's time to show a less arrogant face but still wield the big stick! It can be done and will be if we use our heads. Be sure to vote in November!
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:30 pm

I'm very interested in all of the opinions that I'm reading here.... and Yesmam, I guess there's always a surprise around the corner when you least expect it! Had your husband already said he would vote Democrat?

One thought, somewhat out of 'thin air', but which crosses my mind a fair bit when all of the knives come out in reference to Bush and his party, is this: what else should we know about Kerry and Edwards?? I DON'T normally buy the theory that the media has a 'liberal bias' (or at least I haven't noticed much until recently, LOL), but it's incredible how much they're reporting on Bush's past history, while we only know a scant few facts about Kerry (Vietnam service, "flip-flopping" voting record :p ) and virtually NOTHING about Edwards! Could genuinely be that there's not much to report about, but I still have this feeling they're getting a free ride of sorts from the press.
Of course, I'm in Canada, not the U.S., where the anti-Bush sentiment is far stronger, so maybe they figure no one up here cares much about Kerry and Edwards other than the fact they're running against the Republicans. :p Has there been a lot more background info coming out on the Democrat candidates down there in the US, though?

Stoutman
Charter Member

Is there a puke face icon???

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:32 am

I have actaully voted this week on an absentee ballot(going off to fFlorida next week) and I must say I truly dislike both candidiates. It was really hard to pinch my nose away from the stink stench that has permeated the air. It was a real Hobson`s choice; an incompetent incumbent vs. a wishy washy spineless senator. Im not saying who I voted for here, but it was who I felt was the lesser of two evils. For m It`s so sad we are getting so much mediocity in politics nowadays, no sttrike that!!! We are not even getting mediocrity nowadays, but just plain turgidity!!! I was almost inclined not to vote at all.
But I voted for the Herman Munster lookalike, John Kerry,only inpart because Im disturbed by Bush`s bungling of this war. I almost expect Kerry to shake his hands in excitement and affect that dopey look that Herman had whenever he got excited.......

Stoutman
Charter Member

Ooopsss

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:34 am

Well, I guees I was wrong when I said I wouldnt let loose who I voted for. Everyone phuques up now and again..

yesireebob

Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:27 am

You didn't phuque up -- better Herman Munster than Alfred E. Newman with his vampire "grandpa" Cheney sidekick...

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:10 am

I'm going with Kerry too. I can't say that I'm crazy about the guy,,,but Dubya scares the s**t out of me. I've talked to a lot of ppl who told me that they are seriously thinking of moving out of the country if he is reelected. Canada and Mexico appear to be the most popular places at the moment. I'd prefer Austrailia myself, it's about as far as I could get.

It looks like hubby has changed his mind,,,,he got a letter from the United Steel Workers Union,,,after he read it he told me it looks like he's going to vote for Kerry. We had quite the blow up on Friday, I told him all my fears about what is likely to happen if Bush is reelected,,fears for my daughters future, womens rights, the war, his job/overtime, all of it. I don't know if that had anything to do with his decision, but I'm glad he's changed his mind.