No one wants to talk baseball??

Feel like discussing other things with your YEStalk friends? Speak your mind in our off-topic YEStalk section.
psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

No one wants to talk baseball??

Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:39 am

Geeez, it's pretty sad when a Canadian is the first to bring it up. :p All I can say is: congratulations Yankees 2004, you have just filled the spot of "biggest chokers in American pro sport history"! ;)
I didn't get to see the 7th and deciding game unfortunately, but I saw several of the previous ones throughout the series, and WOW, what drama!!

Gary
Charter Member

I'm Stunned !!!

Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:14 pm

As a Yankee fan (for just about....ever), I am amazed at the turn of event, and then the outcome.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com :o ffice :o ffice" /><o :p ></o :p >

<o :p ></o :p >

This series will go down in history as one of the greatest moments in sports. Only 2 teams have come from a 3 game deficit to win 4 straight and take a championship. It has never been done in Baseball or Basketball, only in Hockey.<o :p ></o :p >

And......since this occurred during a series that involved 2 teams with the longest enduring rivalry, with the losing team being the all-mighty Yankees, it makes it even more important.<o :p ></o :p >

Just a side note......I work for a pretty big company, and I frequent another board dedicated to motorcycling. There has been minimal to no mention of the baseball season and playoffs. I guess the "national pastime" is not as rooted in our society as it once was.<o :p ></o :p >

Squire*Fan725
Starship Trooper

It was all a sham!!

Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:55 pm

I have just about lost all respect for Baseball, and the Yankees in general.

They had the ALCS in the fuckin' bag!! But, due to greediness, they blew it...They could've (should've!!) swept the Bosox in Game 4, but then they'd be losing out on millions of dollars, like they don't make enough goddamn money anyway!!

So what that tells me is that's all they cared about in the first place, THE MONEY, and not winning the Pennant, or getting to the World Series. They deserved to lose, the fucking assholes... :mad:

And this is coming from one very pissed off Yankee fan.

Here's hoping whoever wins Game 7 of the NLCS tonight clobbers the Bosox to a bloody pulp in the World Series!!!!
[CENTER][:f3] "I guess I'm bigger than I used to be!" - Chris Squire, 1-7-06, Vintage Vinyl.[:f1][/CENTER]

Gary
Charter Member

Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:19 pm

What a kick in the pants it would be for the Yankees to see Boston and Houston in the World Series. Boston, their life-long rival and that piss-ant Clemons and his little shadow Petit.

I'm still pissed off at that whole Clemons thing. I wonder if ever gave back all of the gifts, including the car, he got for his "retirement".

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, when he's entered into the hall of fame, he better not choose to go in as a Yankee (like they all do).

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:27 pm

Gotta love those "Yankee" YANKEE fans......
Now how do you really feel about it ????...........lol

Seriously, I enjoy hearing folks from the north "express" yourselves....
Don't you wish Bush and Kerry would talk that way at the debates, etc...
Refreshing.......
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

Squire*Fan725
Starship Trooper

Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:52 pm

What pisses me off is the fact that The Yanks could've won this, but chose to stretch out the ALCS a bit, and it blew up in their faces...Whatever the reason, whether it was money or bad playing...They just blew it.

Oh well, there's always next year.

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:30 pm

Love it when yankee girls talk dirty......
Squire*Fan725 wrote:...They just blew it.

The answer my friend is blowing in the........
Hotel California

Gary
Charter Member

Yup !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:00 pm

Squire*Fan725 wrote:What pisses me off is the fact that The Yanks could've won this, but chose to stretch out the ALCS a bit, and it blew up in their faces...Whatever the reason, whether it was money or bad playing...They just blew it.

They Just Simply Blew It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Roan's Lady

Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:28 am

And it's ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR games, you're OUT!!
At the OLE BALL GAME!

What the...???

From now on, I'm root, root, rooting for this kid, thank you very much!!

hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

Tomfoolery

Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:00 am

I'll bet that's his first Rookie Card, Amy! You root for him, and when he makes it to the top in WHATEVER he chooses to make it in, he'll wave at the camera and say "Thanks, Mom!"

Ahh, yet another way I differ from so many of my friends on this board.. they're mostly liberals and Democrats, I'm conservative and tend to lean more towards the Republicans; they're Yankees fans, while I'm a BOSTON RED SOX FAN!!! I root for 2 teams in Baseball.. the Red Sox and WHATEVER team is playing against the Yankees! :icon_appr

Seriously... the Yankees are an amazing ball club. They play outstanding baseball and it's not a fluke that they've got as many pennants and Series' as they have. Ok, I'm a BoSox fan, and I'm GLAD they've taken the pennant (it's even sweeter that they've taken it from New York), BUT the BoSox played some amazing ball over the last 4 games, broke several records, and generally played their hearts out. They did VERY well, and I'm proud of 'em. I've been a BoSox fan since I was a 5 year old munchkin and my grandmother and grandfather took me to my first ball game at Fenway Park, and I've believed in them for all these years... it's time they believed in themselves, and it seems they're starting to.

It's also time for the Curse of the Bambino to be broken.

And don't get me started on that Prima Donna, arrogant, obnoxious, traitorous turncoat Clemens. I didn't like him when he pitched for Boston (he was amazing on the mound, he's just an absolute idiot); I liked him less when he was with the Yankees; I think his "coming out of retirement" to play for Houston was thumbing his nose at everyone that ever gave him the chance to set foot on a mound. I wonder if his head would qualify as a "floater", as it's so full of his own hot air!!!!!!!!! :mad: :spank :icon_disa :icon_ded

When my older sons were little, the first phrase they were taught was "BOO YANKEES! YAY RED SOX!!!!" :D
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"

Tomfoolery

Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:03 am

Tomfoolery wrote:
And don't get me started on that Prima Donna, arrogant, obnoxious, traitorous turncoat Clemens.

Hey, I even alphabetized most of my adjectives! How about that? And it was completely unintentional! :jestera:

Roan's Lady

Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:23 am

Tomfoolery wrote:Hey, I even alphabetized most of my adjectives! How about that? And it was completely unintentional! :jestera:
Not only that, but you twice engaged in the practice of alliteration, which was just legalized in Virginia. Well done, sir!!

And might I add....LET'S GO CARDINALS!! :D

Baseball Fever!!!
~moon safari

Squire*Fan725
Starship Trooper

BOOOOOOOO RED SOX!!!!

Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:56 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAAY CARDINALS!!!!

As for the so-called "Curse", there's no such thing...It's all about pitching, hitting, and the over all playing in the outfield.

But, then again.......The World Series hasn't even started yet, so ANYTHING can happen!! Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!

Kissdthsky
Charter Member

Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:27 am

[quote="Tomfoolery"]I'll bet that's his first Rookie Card, Amy! You root for him, and when he makes it to the top in WHATEVER he chooses to make it in, he'll wave at the camera and say "Thanks, Mom!"

Ahh, yet another way I differ from so many of my friends on this board.. they're mostly liberals and Democrats, I'm conservative and tend to lean more towards the Republicans]

well, even though i'm originally from NY....i was definitely for the Red Sox!!! I'm with Dean - i'll cheer for anyone that plays the Yankees. The Yankees USED to be a great ball club....but nothing they do, or have done in years. is for the love of the game. They have turned GREED into a whole new term.

I was THRILLED when they lost. Couldn't happen to a better team, in my opinion!!

Of course, i do find it rather ironic that it will most likely be a Massachusetts/Texas world series in this election year.......<g>

:angel:
:dazzler1:
Kissd
"when stars collide like you and i...." (Elton John/The One)

"Today the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it." (Anne O'Hare McCormick, foreign correspondent for the New York Times"

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:50 am

Despite all, I'm still not selling MY 1964 Topps, Micky Mantle baseball card...I used to have the whole 1964 starting Yankees team including pitchers Whitey Ford and Jim Bouton but they probably ended up in my bicycle spokes...could have paid for a college education had I held on to them all.........I liked the Red Sox too, kinda like enjoying both Yes and ELP back in the day........Beatles/Stones, etc fun stuff.......
Hotel California

Tomfoolery

Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:01 am

Kissdthsky wrote:
Of course, i do find it rather ironic that it will most likely be a Massachusetts/Texas world series in this election year.......<G>

Well, in THIS race, I'll root for Massachusetts over Texas..... . ;)

Kissdthsky
Charter Member

Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:53 am

[quote="Tomfoolery"]Well, in THIS race, I'll root for Massachusetts over Texas..... . ]

gee, Dean....Texas lost....won't be going to the World Series. wonder if that's some sort of premonition....<eg>

sorry...just could NOT resist.

Kissd
"when stars collide like you and i...." (Elton John/The One)

"Today the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it." (Anne O'Hare McCormick, foreign correspondent for the New York Times"

Tomfoolery

Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:44 pm

Kissdthsky wrote:gee, Dean....Texas lost....won't be going to the World Series. wonder if that's some sort of premonition....<EG>

sorry...just could NOT resist.

yeah, well..... we'll see in a couple of weeks, I guess... :)

On another note, BOSTON WON LAST NIGHT!! 11 to 9 ... both teams played a sloppy game, but apparently St. Louis was a bit sloppier.........

Roan's Lady

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:21 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:... both teams played a sloppy game, but apparently St. Louis was a bit sloppier.........
Them's fightin' words!!
~moon safari

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Nantucket

Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:50 am

Go Boston...
Had some great clams in Cambridge
and Nantucket too...good enough to
root root for the Beantown Home Team for me...
Hotel California

Tomfoolery

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:35 am

Final score, game two... 6-2, Red Sox.... GO RED SOX!!!

a fan's sign that was caught by the camera has already become a catch phrase in my house.. it was a drawing of a cat's face and the caption read "Here, birdy, birdy, birdy!!"

Every time my cat comes home, I look for red Cardinal feathers hanging from his mouth....... :D :D :D

Squire*Fan725
Starship Trooper

Go ahead, rub it in...

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:45 pm

And why give me a nice papercut and pour lemon juice on it while yer at it?!? :mad: :eek: :p

Roan's Lady

Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:10 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:Final score, game two... 6-2, Red Sox.... GO RED SOX!!!

a fan's sign that was caught by the camera has already become a catch phrase in my house.. it was a drawing of a cat's face and the caption read "Here, birdy, birdy, birdy!!"

Every time my cat comes home, I look for red Cardinal feathers hanging from his mouth....... :D :D :D
It ain't over 'til it's over...and 'til the fat lady sings. Neither of which have happened yet. So NYAH!! :p
~moon safari

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Pink Arch

Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:00 am

So when are they making that St Louis Arch pink???
Maybe that would help the Cards.........
Hotel California

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:31 am

LOL.... if the Sox win game 3, how many people do you think will suffer short-term memory loss and say "aww, they're up 3-0... the Cards are DONE!" ;)
I must say that, despite 'local boy' Larry Walker being on the Cards, I'm rooting for the Sox. NO fans should have to suffer for 85 years without a championship!! Although I do hope St. Louis makes it interesting too.... a nice, hard-fought six or seven game series would be fine by me. :p

Gary
Charter Member

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk................

Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:06 pm

Throughout baseball history, there have always been Yankee "haters". When one particular team hold 25% of all championships of a sports history, the team should be held up high and honored for it's incredible accomplishments.

Say what you will, but the Yankees have been playing baseball and conducting business the exact same way that other teams have been doing. Yes they have a high payroll, but many teams have a high payroll. Over and over again, I keep hearing this "reason" for hating the Yankees. "The best team money could buy"..........ALL TEAMS ARE THE BEST THAT THEIR MONEY COULD BUY! If other teams could afford more, don't you think that they'd spend more??? The Yankees happen to play ball in the largest city in the world. Let's not forget...............sports is entertainment, and entertainment is designed to sell soap, cars, and other products. Since the Yankees reach more of an audience, they sell more products. Since they sell more products, the receive higher revenue. Since they receive higher revenue, they can attract the more expensive players. If Boston was a bigger city, their revenue would be higher and they're payroll would be higher.

Some has to be the best, someone has to be the most expensive. If not the Yankees, then the next team would hold these titles. And if not that team, then the next.

Believe you me, I think it's totally out of hand. I remember my father taking me and 3 of my friends to ball games all of the time. I could never do that now. Between parking, tickets, food, and souveniers, it's a $250 day. But you now something......it's not the teams fault, it's the fans fault for putting up with it.

Tomfoolery

Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:51 am

Well, game 3 is now over.. Red Sox, 3-1 over St. Louis.

"Here, birdy birdy birdy!"

I'm loving this!

khalpin
Starship Trooper

Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:42 am

Gary wrote: Some has to be the best, someone has to be the most expensive. If not the Yankees, then the next team would hold these titles. And if not that team, then the next......it's not the teams fault, it's the fans fault for putting up with it.
Sure those Yankees fans should be ashamed of themselves for putting up with all those salaries they pay by watching their team on Cablevision.

Just like the New York Rangers, but there's a difference between the two.....who can guess what it is?

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:36 am

The Yankees actually make the playoffs now and again?? :p

Gary
Charter Member

Why is it that only Yankee fans should be ashamed???

Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:48 pm

khalpin wrote:Sure those Yankees fans should be ashamed of themselves for putting up with all those salaries they pay by watching their team on Cablevision.

Just like the New York Rangers, but there's a difference between the two.....who can guess what it is?

According to Forbes Magazine, of the 50 highest paid athletes, the majority (14) are basketball players. There are only 2 Yankee players on the list, which includes Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Randy Johnson, Mike Piazza, and Jason Giambi.

Should Cubs fans, Giants fans, and Met fans also be ashamed?

If you noticed.......all of the highly paid team athletes play in large cities with big markets. They have lots of commercials during games, which generate large TV revenues. Since it's the athletes, not the owners, that fans tune in to watch, shouldn't they be getting a peice of it?

By the way......Tiger Woods is the highest paid athlete in the world in 2004. Boo and Hiss to all those golf fans!