No one wants to talk baseball??

Feel like discussing other things with your YEStalk friends? Speak your mind in our off-topic YEStalk section.
Roan's Lady

Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:30 pm

Gary wrote: If you noticed.......all of the highly paid team athletes play in large cities with big markets. They have lots of commercials during games, which generate large TV revenues. Since it's the athletes, not the owners, that fans tune in to watch, shouldn't they be getting a peice of it?

By the way......Tiger Woods is the highest paid athlete in the world in 2004. Boo and Hiss to all those golf fans!
Well, I'm ashamed of myself !!
I'm a teacher and I make (are you sitting down?) five figures!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe I should look for a job in New York City and run commercials between my televised classes. :rolleyes: Uh, yeah.

Anyway, back to baseball.
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

Gary
Charter Member

Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:55 pm

"I'm a teacher and I make (are you sitting down?) five figures!! :eek: :eek: :eek: "

Oh yeah........Well, I have a doctorate degree and I make 6 figures..........

I can make a square, a circle, a rectangle, a triangle, an oval, and even a figure 8. I can even do this standing up or sitting down.
I agree, these salaries are pretty incredible, but, like it or not, they generate the revenue in order to command such high figures. Same reason that Ray Ramano gets $2 million per episode. He puts asses in seats in front of the television so they can be sold something.

Roan's Lady

Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:01 pm

Gary wrote:"I'm a teacher and I make (are you sitting down?) five figures!! :eek: :eek: :eek: "

I can make a square, a circle, a rectangle, a triangle, an oval, and even a figure 8. I can even do this standing up or sitting down.
I agree, these salaries are pretty incredible, but, like it or not, they generate the revenue in order to command such high figures. Same reason that Ray Ramano gets $2 million per episode. He puts asses in seats in front of the television so they can be sold something.

Umm...right. I was being sarcastic, Gary. You thought I was bragging?? LOL. Please. Five figures is paltry, for what I do. I'm sure I speak not only for myself here.

I know why the players and the actors get the money they do. It's just not quite fair, whether they sell or not.
Believe me, I know about the power of the almighty dollar.
~moon safari

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:35 pm

I just think RL has a FINE Figure myself......
If you don't enjoy the fact folks get insane salaries just say no...I do
I have basically stopped watching network tv, never listen to commerical radio and have not paid to go to a professional sporting event in 20 years so I'm NOT to blame and live very guilt free to what's happening out there...
and guess what, I keep myself very amused with other activites that are non-status quo........
Enjoy The Lunar Eclipse tonight with some great music, food and beverage and with someone special near or afar....
Now, THAT's entertainment.......

Gary wrote:"I'm a teacher and I make (are you sitting down?) five figures!! :eek: :eek: :eek: "

WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

Squire*Fan725
Starship Trooper

Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:47 am

HOLY SHITE!! THE RED SOX SWEPT THE CARDINALS!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tomfoolery

Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:13 am

HERE, birdy birdy birdy!!!!!

The curse is BROKEN!!! BROKEN!!!! There's celebrations EVERYWHERE by Red Sox Fans!
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"

Gary
Charter Member

Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:32 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:
Umm...right. I was being sarcastic, Gary. You thought I was bragging?? LOL. Please. Five figures is paltry, for what I do. I'm sure I speak not only for myself here.

I know why the players and the actors get the money they do. It's just not quite fair, whether they sell or not.
Believe me, I know about the power of the almighty dollar.

Amy, please accept my apologies. I knew you were being sarcastic and believe me, I didn't think you were bragging at all, I was just trying to be funny with the figure (shape) thing. There was absolutely no disrespect intended and I am so sorry that I came across that way.

And, I do agree that the ratio of compensation to the meaningfulness of the job is completely out of wack. I read of a teacher who had a take-home salary of $1,200 and still had to purchase supplies on his own in order to keep the kids interested and make his lessons relevent. Insane. I think everyone agrees with this, but, ask these same people to pay a little more in taxes and you get a whole different opinion (but, this is a whole new thread).

"Hey Babe Ruth, how does it feel making more money than the President?" "Feels great, I had a better year than the President".

Squire*Fan725
Starship Trooper

Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:32 pm

Gary wrote: "Hey Babe Ruth, how does it feel making more money than the President?" "Feels great, I had a better year than the President".

Good one, Gary!!

YANKEES in 2005!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary
Charter Member

Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:55 pm

tribute1969 wrote:I just think RL has a FINE Figure myself......
If you don't enjoy the fact folks get insane salaries just say no...I do
I have basically stopped watching network tv, never listen to commerical radio and have not paid to go to a professional sporting event in 20 years so I'm NOT to blame and live very guilt free to what's happening out there...
and guess what, I keep myself very amused with other activites that are non-status quo........
Enjoy The Lunar Eclipse tonight with some great music, food and beverage and with someone special near or afar....
Now, THAT's entertainment.......

I wish I could do what you're doing, but with kids, it's quite difficult.

My daughter wanted to go to a Met game in the worst way last year. She was 9 at the time. How could I say no. Not only that, how could I not make it a great day for her. I got the best seats available so she was right there in the action. We had the $3.75 hotdogs and the $3 sodas. She got a program and a banner. She smiled the whole day and all the rest of the day. To see her that happy was worth every penny!

Kissdthsky
Charter Member

Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:46 am

woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!! GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

couldn't happen to a more deserving team!!! ya gotta love stories like theirs....after 86 years.....

Congrats to all you New Englanders....Bostonians....Red Sox fans!!

:angel:
:dazzler1:
Kissd
"when stars collide like you and i...." (Elton John/The One)

"Today the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it." (Anne O'Hare McCormick, foreign correspondent for the New York Times"

Stoutman
Charter Member

It`s nothing to get upset about.

Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:42 am

Trevor, if I`d have known you were abaseball fan, I would have talked to you sooner about this.
First off, Im a huge Yankee fan,but I dont understand it whem people actually take it to heart when their own hometeam loses. It`s just a friggin game.
Im glad the Sox won it all because they were more deserving. They were hungry and determined. The Yankees got compalcent, arrogant, and sloppy. Iguess you can get complacent whe you have won 6 pennants in the last eight years. But either way, they choked big time and deserved to lose.
Unlike most Yankee fans, Im happy for the Sox and their fans. Many Yankee fans take winning for granted and expect it. So yes, it would have been nice to add a 27th pennant, but it was great baseball and nothing lasts forever, especially the Yankees reign on top.
One man I was working with was pratcially in tears. I told him; `Look, Derek Jeter, A-Rod dont give a shit about you. You still have to get up in the morning, work and pay off your bills.` I wish I had your attitude, Chris', he says to me in tears.
But that`s why Im not affected by this because these guys can buy and sell all of us. Its hard to get upset about millionare athlethes.
I agree with Amy. Its disgusting that these guys get paid so much while people in noble professions such as teachers, or EMT`s get paid shit. I was an EMt for alittle while so I can tell you firsthand you make shit, especailly for saving people`s lives.. But as long as people continue to go out to the ballparks in droves and pay these exhorbitant prices for tickets, the situation will never change.

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

OFF

Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:50 am

I think THESE folks agree with you.....
Kissdthsky wrote:woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!! GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

couldn't happen to a more deserving team!!! ya gotta love stories like theirs....after 86 years.....

Congrats to all you New Englanders....Bostonians....Red Sox fans!!

:angel:
:dazzler1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

Roan's Lady

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:04 am

OK, I'm an NY fan, but that sign is HILARIOUS!!

Very, very good... :D
~moon safari