Time for a much-needed Sabbatical

Feel like discussing other things with your YEStalk friends? Speak your mind in our off-topic YEStalk section.
Dr_Yes

Time for a much-needed Sabbatical

Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Dear YesTALKers,

This is a quick note to say “Goodbye for now!” as I am signing off YesTALK for the foreseeable future. There’s no rancour about it; no feeling of exasperation with anyone; and definitely no sense of me taking my ball home. It’s simply the case that I am burned out here and in my personal life, and need to get away to take a fresh look at where I’m going and what I am doing.

I plan to sign off at the end of December. 2008 will have to be a year of change for me I fear, or else I worry about what I might do – go mad probably. In my simplistic way, I see it that I have a bit of a battle going on between Good Dave and Bad Dave. The latter isn’t ‘evil’ bad, but he is everything about me I've grown to despise: he’s lazy, overweight, eats junk food, won’t exercise, watches crap TV, sees the glass as half-empty, blames all his woes on everything/everyone else and lets people kick him round like a rag doll rather than say stop, wait a minute. He’s very much in the ascendancy these days and I must do something to change this. And maybe I need time and space for that to work.

I'll be around for a few days yet. But just wanted to let people know.

I wish each and every one of you a GREAT Christmas and propserous New Year and sincerely hope when I return it'll be to find out the details of Yes's forthcoming World Tour!!! :D .

Peace and love to all,

Dave.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

Roan's Lady

Re: Time for a much-needed Sabbatical

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:42 pm

Dave,
I understand the need and desire to change, and I hope very much that you get yourself to a place that gives you contentment. I will miss your refreshingly honest and unpoliticized take on things (especially things Yes) - you're a rarity in that way, and this site and others have been made all the better because it. All the best to you in the new year - be well - and I truly hope that our paths cross in some way down the road.
Most sincerely,
Amy
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

guilddigger
Starship Trooper

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:40 pm

Recognizing one's bad habits is not difficult.
Accepting that a change has to be made is difficult.
Actually taking the step towards change is uncommon.
Best of luck to you, Dave!
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges

Dr_Yes

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:23 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:Dave,
I understand the need and desire to change, and I hope very much that you get yourself to a place that gives you contentment. I will miss your refreshingly honest and unpoliticized take on things (especially things Yes) - you're a rarity in that way, and this site and others have been made all the better because it. All the best to you in the new year - be well - and I truly hope that our paths cross in some way down the road.
Most sincerely,
Amy
Hey Amy,

Thanks so much for saying these kind words. You're one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of bumping into on any board - honest - and I sincerely hope I'll be around to bump into you again sometime next year.

Until then. Be well. Merry [please insert December religious festivity of your choice here] and best wishes to you and yours for the future.

Dave.

Dr_Yes

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:33 pm

guilddigger wrote:Recognizing one's bad habits is not difficult.
Accepting that a change has to be made is difficult.
Actually taking the step towards change is uncommon.
Best of luck to you, Dave!
Hi Guild,

What an inspirational way of putting it - thanks!

I've laboured long and hard over this, and oft lamented the fact that my life plays out like an unwelcome groundhog day.

Here's to some success in 2008 (takes deep breath....)

Until then, keep playing that guitar!!!!

Take care my friend,

Dave.

tardistraveler

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:30 pm

Here's hoping 2008 is a GOOD year for you, and that any changes are steps in the RIGHT direction for you . . . we're all here for you when you return . . . :)

Dr_Yes

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:39 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Here's hoping 2008 is a GOOD year for you, and that any changes are steps in the RIGHT direction for you . . . we're all here for you when you return . . . :)
Hey thanks Diane,

You're an angel. I'm touched. It's going to be a bumpy ride I think, but I am steeling myself for it. And having support from everyone is a greater tonic than I realised.

I hope 2008 is great for you and yours too.

Dave.

N2yes
Starship Trooper

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:37 pm

Doc, if this be an irreversible decision, then so be it. I have to say that your contributions here number more than you realize and your input will be sorely missed. I can only hope that all turns out well and any aspirations you have for the future materialize in a manner to your liking. You have played an integral part in helping this community expand and it will not be the same without you. Perhaps, you can tell I'm trying to talk you out of abandoning the site ( not your desire to reflect and bring about change if the need compels you ).
Most of this I haven't divulged to you, but you're a good man and I think all who know you here would agree. If you must, you must, but please know you will be missed.
Chris
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

Tomfoolery

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:27 pm

Hi, Dave (if I may call you that - we haven't exchanged too many posts over the past few years, but I DO enjoy yours)...

I fully understand the need to make changes in one's life... I myself made some drastic changes almost 2 years ago (20 months ago, to be precise) in order to improve myself and my future. Yes, it was difficult, and yes, it DID provide some challenges that I'd not had to face in the past, but it was well worth it and as a result, I feel my life is now headed in a positive direction. I hope you have the same results in your venture. My best to you, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and here's to changes that you feel are best for you! I'll raise a glass to you... and you can do it.

Dean
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"

Kalingzeye

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:41 am

Do what you gotta do, Dave! :p I've always been a firm believer that everything will work itself out in the end, especially if you strive to do what you think is right. And I definitely think that's what you're doing- as long as you stay true to yourself and what you really need, you will have no regrets. And we'll always be here for support, if you ever need to talk! Best of luck to you, in whatever you decide to do this coming year~ And a Merry Christmas / Happy New Year as well!!!! :o
Hope you can return soon!

Thoughtbecontact
Veteran Member

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:21 am

You know I'll always be around for you, Dave. Working on oneself is always a good endeavor.

In the spirit of what Amy said, yours is one of the most refreshing voices I have found on these forums. You always speak your mind, no matter what. That's a quality to be admired. Now put that in your book entitled, "Things that are Good about Me."

You will succeed.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH

Dr_Yes

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:54 pm

N2yes wrote:Doc, if this be an irreversible decision, then so be it. I have to say that your contributions here number more than you realize and your input will be sorely missed. I can only hope that all turns out well and any aspirations you have for the future materialize in a manner to your liking. You have played an integral part in helping this community expand and it will not be the same without you. Perhaps, you can tell I'm trying to talk you out of abandoning the site ( not your desire to reflect and bring about change if the need compels you ).
Most of this I haven't divulged to you, but you're a good man and I think all who know you here would agree. If you must, you must, but please know you will be missed.
Chris
Hey Chris,

Thanks for your kind support. I've only ever considered myself a bit-part player round here. I wonder if my perceived aloofness and open grumpiness make me a pain in the butt to many, but it's not been my intention - honest!

Anyway, no one's got rid of me yet. I won't be abandoning the site forever. I just really need time to break the cycle, re-evaluate things, sort my health (physical and mental) and find something to cheer about again. I've dallied with some dark, dark thoughts about the meaning of life and whether ti's worth going on, and now I am resolved to sort things out - hopefully.

Dave.

Dr_Yes

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:04 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:Hi, Dave (if I may call you that - we haven't exchanged too many posts over the past few years, but I DO enjoy yours)...

I fully understand the need to make changes in one's life... I myself made some drastic changes almost 2 years ago (20 months ago, to be precise) in order to improve myself and my future. Yes, it was difficult, and yes, it DID provide some challenges that I'd not had to face in the past, but it was well worth it and as a result, I feel my life is now headed in a positive direction. I hope you have the same results in your venture. My best to you, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and here's to changes that you feel are best for you! I'll raise a glass to you... and you can do it.

Dean
Hi Dean,

Of course you can call me Dave! Again, I fear I've been too aloof at times. It wasn't the plan.

I appreciate what you say about making your own changes and that it had a positive impact on you.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours. And I'll raise a glass to all those round here and elsewhere I hope I can consider as friends as I take a leap into the unknown.

Dave.

Dr_Yes

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:06 pm

Kalingzeye wrote:Do what you gotta do, Dave! :p I've always been a firm believer that everything will work itself out in the end, especially if you strive to do what you think is right. And I definitely think that's what you're doing- as long as you stay true to yourself and what you really need, you will have no regrets. And we'll always be here for support, if you ever need to talk! Best of luck to you, in whatever you decide to do this coming year~ And a Merry Christmas / Happy New Year as well!!!! :o
Hope you can return soon!
Thank you Kalingzeye,

Again, apologies on my part for not having really got to know you very well. I've sort of floated around the edges of YEsTALK for a quite a while, but it's no excuse.

Merry Xmas and a prosperous New Year to you and yours too!!

Dave.

Dr_Yes

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:09 pm

Thoughtbecontact wrote:You know I'll always be around for you, Dave. Working on oneself is always a good endeavor.

In the spirit of what Amy said, yours is one of the most refreshing voices I have found on these forums. You always speak your mind, no matter what. That's a quality to be admired. Now put that in your book entitled, "Things that are Good about Me."

You will succeed.
Hey Arlene!

You are a rock - and I am sure you know that. Your advice, wisdom, experience and care are cherished a lot by me. I certainly hope you will be around - although I am sure my babbling emails must get boring for you at times! I haven't replied to your latest email (work constrints) but I intend to as soon as I can.

Love and respect, tbc. And Merry Christmas!

Dave.

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:04 pm

God, sounds like me....
I split USA for 3 months to go to Spain.
Getting into rut. Done much.
Changes call the course".

I have changed habits on homefront, too.

I hope my weekends are more productive, as all I have during week is productive work, earning a living. At end of day, I can't work on my bliss projects, too tired from weekday work...
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Dr_Yes

Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:12 pm

Time to say goodbye!

Happy New Year everyone - I hope 2008 is brilliant for one and all.

D.

Roan's Lady

Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:16 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:Time to say goodbye!

Happy New Year everyone - I hope 2008 is brilliant for one and all.

D.
And for you too, Dave. Take good care!
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

Tomfoolery

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:03 am

Same back atcha, Dave... hope you can see your way clear to coming back to us soon. As my life has changed (and continues to change) I enjoyed sharing some of those positive changes with people here... and I KNOW there are more to come in 2008. I'm VERY hopeful for this year, and I have goals now... more than I've had in a long time. I can only pray that you get to a better place in your own head during this time, and I have a feeling you will. Change can be VERY VERY good, and positive change needs to be embraced and encouraged... we're all on your side, Dude!
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"