Stepping Down

Feel like discussing other things with your YEStalk friends? Speak your mind in our off-topic YEStalk section.
Roan's Lady

Stepping Down

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:50 pm

Hi everyone, I wanted to make you all aware of a decision I made recently. Some of you already know, and some of you might have deduced, based on the fact that my name is in green instead of blue :) - I have decided to step down as one of the admins here. My decision was based on the fact that I honestly don't feel much of a Yes fan anymore - enough to warrant seeing them in concert this summer, yes - but not enough to warrant being partly in charge of a website dedicated to them. As some of you know, it takes a certain dedication to the cause to be a big part of running a website, and if the "cause" is to spur interest and encourage discussion, (and in fact, be pretty heavily involved oneself in that discussion) about a band - I think an admin of the site has got to be a fairly big fan of that band. And that's just not where I'm at in regard to Yes anymore. A lot of my feelings (and often, posts) are based on more of a lack of interest in, and indeed, a cynicism and frustration toward Yes, and while certainly a member of a site can come from that position, I don't think it's in the best interest of the "mission" of the site for an admin to be of that mindset. Of course, Yestalk will be in the most capable hands of Chris, aka N2yes - and I think that with him at the helm, the other moderators, and this membership as a whole, Yestalk will continue to thrive. I'll still be around as well, and although I won't be threatening anyone with a ban, I might now and then still act like a big shot who's never wrong. But you can now holler back at me with unbridled passion. ;)

Thanks to everyone for making this place a great place to run - you made it easy. I hope you continue to consider Yestalk a good place to hang your hat every now and then. :)

~Amy
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

Dr_Yes

Re: Stepping Down

Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Hey Amy,

I understand your decision and am sympathetic with your current feelings where Yes is concerned. That said, it's going to be a great loss to YesTALK and as a fellow moderator (yep, I know that may surprise a few people) I can honestly say many of us appreciate the work you've put in round here.

But things move on; people change. I've changed. I don't feel the same way about Yes as I did and that feeling has been there for a while. So (and without wanting to steal your thunder) I think maybe the time's come for me to throw in the towel, hand back the keys, pick up the P45 or whatever it is we do in this situation and politely request N2 or someone remove me from the mods list. I'd appreciate it is they could. Thanks.

And Amy! No doubt we'll still converse, either here or at AGP. And as one door closes ...

Take care Amy. I hope the ankle's (?) less painful today than it was a few days ago. Take care - healing hugs, prayers etc.

Dave 'Dr Yes' over and out.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

tardistraveler

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:15 pm

I guess I look at these sites a little differently than some . . . what brought us TO these sites was our love for Yes, but what keeps us here is our love for each other . . . I enjoy hanging with others that share a lot of my musical passions, and those include many bands other than Yes . . .

While I certainly respect your decision to hang it up as an administrator, I hope you come around on all these fan sites and commune with those of us who call you friend . . . :)

And yes, take care of that ankle, and keep us posted about that too!

Roan's Lady

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:34 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:Hey Amy,

I understand your decision and am sympathetic with your current feelings where Yes is concerned. That said, it's going to be a great loss to YesTALK and as a fellow moderator (yep, I know that may surprise a few people) I can honestly say many of us appreciate the work you've put in round here.

But things move on; people change. I've changed. I don't feel the same way about Yes as I did and that feeling has been there for a while. So (and without wanting to steal your thunder) I think maybe the time's come for me to throw in the towel, hand back the keys, pick up the P45 or whatever it is we do in this situation and politely request N2 or someone remove me from the mods list. I'd appreciate it is they could. Thanks.

And Amy! No doubt we'll still converse, either here or at AGP. And as one door closes ...

Dave, I'm very glad to hear you say this, as the thought of not conversing with you in the future is a sad one. I will most definitely be around here and AGP, and am glad you will be, too. And thank you, too - for being a great part of this place, someone who, as a moderator, I always knew to be a smart and steady presence.
Dr_Yes wrote: Take care Amy. I hope the ankle's (?) less painful today than it was a few days ago. Take care - healing hugs, prayers etc.

Dave 'Dr Yes' over and out.
My ankle is wrapped up so extensively right now, in prep for the surgery on Thursday, that I'm feeling no pain, thankfully. My other foot still hurts, but is getting better.
I hope you are doing well these days, Dave. Hugs back to you! :)
tardistraveler wrote:I guess I look at these sites a little differently than some . . . what brought us TO these sites was our love for Yes, but what keeps us here is our love for each other . . . I enjoy hanging with others that share a lot of my musical passions, and those include many bands other than Yes . . .

While I certainly respect your decision to hang it up as an administrator, I hope you come around on all these fan sites and commune with those of us who call you friend . . . :)

And yes, take care of that ankle, and keep us posted about that too!
Will do, Diane, and thanks!
I fully intend to continue coming around and participating in the sites where I've been active lately - there are many friendships I've forged that I don't want to fall by the wayside, and interesting discussions to be had. I'm not about to give that up! Looking forward to seeing you "in town", Diane. :)
~moon safari

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:59 am

Well not a big Surprise really-I could see by some of your posts of late that you were getting pretty frustrated by the band-
I can certinly understand that, as far as being an administrator goes
Yeah it's a busy thing and requires pretty much daily attention even when things are moving sort of slow-and when things are moving sort of slow it's frustrating.I think Dianne(1 n or 2?) hit the nail on the head tho-we came here because of Yes and we stay here because of of each other-I think you'll find just being a know it all poster to be a lot more fun than being an administrator.I love throwing out all this crazy shit now that I could never feel comfortable doing as an administrator-and As a valuble part of this wierd little community-you still shape the way things run around here anyway so -from my perspective I'm Glad for You.I found the administartive handle to be quite daunting at times-and there were times I just didn't or don't feel like coming around-and thats a freedom that keeps it interesting -
Whats goin on with yer ankle/foot? hope that surgery doesn't mess ya up -and watch out for that feeling no pain thing-man that feeling no pain wrecked about 3 years of my life-not to mention my stomach and kidneys
hang in there Amy
funny thing about Yes
they are my favorite band and I love them
I am 40 and they are 40 it really is amazing that they are still around and have been playing music since i was born! I could never do that on the level that they do -even the level they are doing it now and I studied Classical Piano-Cello and Violin from 3rd Grade till 9th grade and I have played guitar since I was 10 and have been drumming for more than 10 years-Apart from all the Yes Drama (pun intended) the body of Work Yes has is truly amazing and Its really nice to have such a volume of diverse music to choose from and still have it loosely sound like YES(whatever that means today) I mean Zeppelin The Who The Beatles Etc.EtcEtc.
not many other musicians have been around with all the highs and lows that Yes has Had and still the old solgiers trudge on and plan a Tour 40 years after their conception-And I've no doubt that most of those shows will sound pretty damn Good
there also is something about Yes Fans /Yes People that is really amazing and those Wierdos(like me) keep me as interested as the wierdos in the band
so...are you still a forum op? just not an administrator?
whats the deal there?
anyway I hope you hang around-or come back soon
Regards
Chris

Roan's Lady

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:00 am

yesman90125 wrote:Well not a big Surprise really-I could see by some of your posts of late that you were getting pretty frustrated by the band-
I can certinly understand that, as far as being an administrator goes
Yeah it's a busy thing and requires pretty much daily attention even when things are moving sort of slow-and when things are moving sort of slow it's frustrating.I think Dianne(1 n or 2?) hit the nail on the head tho-we came here because of Yes and we stay here because of of each other-I think you'll find just being a know it all poster to be a lot more fun than being an administrator.I love throwing out all this crazy shit now that I could never feel comfortable doing as an administrator-and As a valuble part of this wierd little community-you still shape the way things run around here anyway so -from my perspective I'm Glad for You.I found the administartive handle to be quite daunting at times-and there were times I just didn't or don't feel like coming around-and thats a freedom that keeps it interesting -
Whats goin on with yer ankle/foot? hope that surgery doesn't mess ya up -and watch out for that feeling no pain thing-man that feeling no pain wrecked about 3 years of my life-not to mention my stomach and kidneys
hang in there Amy
funny thing about Yes
they are my favorite band and I love them
I am 40 and they are 40 it really is amazing that they are still around and have been playing music since i was born! I could never do that on the level that they do -even the level they are doing it now and I studied Classical Piano-Cello and Violin from 3rd Grade till 9th grade and I have played guitar since I was 10 and have been drumming for more than 10 years-Apart from all the Yes Drama (pun intended) the body of Work Yes has is truly amazing and Its really nice to have such a volume of diverse music to choose from and still have it loosely sound like YES(whatever that means today) I mean Zeppelin The Who The Beatles Etc.EtcEtc.
not many other musicians have been around with all the highs and lows that Yes has Had and still the old solgiers trudge on and plan a Tour 40 years after their conception-And I've no doubt that most of those shows will sound pretty damn Good
there also is something about Yes Fans /Yes People that is really amazing and those Wierdos(like me) keep me as interested as the wierdos in the band
so...are you still a forum op? just not an administrator?
whats the deal there?
anyway I hope you hang around-or come back soon
Regards
Chris
Hey Chris,
Thanks for your comments, especially the nice ones in my direction. :)
Well, I know of and love a lot of bands, but none of their music has trumped what I consider the very best of Yes music. Not even close.
Yes was a powerhouse like none other, and was once huge in my life, offering me hope, positivity, freedom of spirit, unbridled joy. How often does a thing like Yes come into a life? I don't think too terribly often. But these days, the interest I have in them has waned - I haven't found much to celebrate in the way of new Yes music for many years, and to me, if a band isn't putting out new music that I really dig, my interest is only of their past. While the memories are wonderful, memories alone are not enough to sustain me as the die-hard fan I once was. I'd like to see them over the summer, because this could very well be their last go-round, and hey, they may put on a great show. And I tend to like Yes fans, as they are often of a similar mindset to me, so hanging around them won't be so bad - at a show or here. :) I think we agree on this!

I see that I'm listed as the forumop of Other Skylines - I neglected to change that - it was an oversight. I'll have that taken care of. One unique thing about Yestalk is that it rarely needs moderation - so in a way, I think that nothing much will change. ;)
Regarding my ankle and foot - I missed the bottom step of our staircase running last Wednesday night and managed to severely sprain my left foot and break my right ankle, upon landing. Fun stuff... :rolleyes:
~moon safari

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:17 pm

yeah the very best of yes music-thatys what i mean
i know many members that dont like anything that came out after topographic oceans and only consider follow up work to be just ok
yet they are very active in many yes forums based on the yes album through topographic oceans -just goes ta show ya nbever can tell

that just blows about your foot-i did that once leaped out of the front door took 3 steps at a time and hit the last one wrong and spun my foot sideways- the worst part about it was that my wife and I were having an argument when I flew out the front door and as I was laying on the ground she just said see what you get-and I had to drive myself to the hospital using my left foot because she was soo mad(i don't remember anymore what it was about)
yeah I can see the frustration about Yes in some ways-maybe the concert will re-energize you
I know that output since Going for the one(apart from perhaps the ladder)
has more than a little frustrated me(although mag has grown on me)
so yeah It was hard for me to be on about Yes every day as an administrator
beyond that I just didn't feel very well and sitting by the computer for an hour everyday looking through posts was tiring and uninspiring for me
I obviously am back lately but certinly that could turn on a dime
I like that
so if I dont check in here for a couple of weeks or something or if I decide to lurk for a few months and just pop short comments in Its pretty cool that way too.
and if nothing interesting is going on in my life or in Yes' life or in the world then I dont have much to say
right now all those things are clicking so I'm here
but Pain is allways an issue for me
so some time I may spend 2 weeks in a dark room with no human contact except to throw me some scraps of food and some morphine
thats just the way it goes with my life -Gladly not lately but that could come back anytime
Pain is a huge obstacle and a formadable enemy to normal living.

Roan's Lady

Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:09 pm

Take good care of yourself, Chris.
~moon safari

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:30 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:Take good care of yourself, Chris.
Oh Yeah-You too!
hey BTW how many posts does one have to put up to go from starship trooper to "JUST ME" i kinda like that
life is good now for me hopefully it will stay that way,I'm having an excellent run right now and have become very active in my personal life and with my family these days I even have time to come here pretty often and annoy people with my politics.

Ed1909
Starship Trooper

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:38 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:Hey Chris,
But these days, the interest I have in them has waned - I haven't found much to celebrate in the way of new Yes music for many years, and to me, if a band isn't putting out new music that I really dig, my interest is only of their past. While the memories are wonderful, memories alone are not enough to sustain me as the die-hard fan I once was.

I guess that's how I've been lately too. And I suppose there's been quite a few like me who used to post daily, and who now just dip in here every so often just to "touch base". I never thought since I discovered Yes that other bands would be more of a priority for me, but one in particular has been, and with mere rumours of another Yes studio album (and by God I hope they do one and it's brilliant), a greatest hits (again!) tour which has no confirmed European dates, doesn't excite me. Sure, if some UK dates were announced, I'd be there, and I'd revel in the majesty of Yes live. But I need a killer album - they've been close with The Ladder and Magnification, but the hunt for the "hit single" of both of those albums has been futile and to the detriment to the album as a whole.

Anyway Amy, you've done a fine job here (ditto DocYes). Yesfans is clearly the number 1 forum for fans of the band in terms of numbers. But this place is much less complicated and cluttered. I'm sure you'll still be contributing much more often than I do!
High vibration go on...

Roan's Lady

Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:43 am

Ed1909 wrote:I guess that's how I've been lately too. And I suppose there's been quite a few like me who used to post daily, and who now just dip in here every so often just to "touch base". I never thought since I discovered Yes that other bands would be more of a priority for me, but one in particular has been, and with mere rumours of another Yes studio album (and by God I hope they do one and it's brilliant), a greatest hits (again!) tour which has no confirmed European dates, doesn't excite me. Sure, if some UK dates were announced, I'd be there, and I'd revel in the majesty of Yes live. But I need a killer album - they've been close with The Ladder and Magnification, but the hunt for the "hit single" of both of those albums has been futile and to the detriment to the album as a whole.

Anyway Amy, you've done a fine job here (ditto DocYes). Yesfans is clearly the number 1 forum for fans of the band in terms of numbers. But this place is much less complicated and cluttered. I'm sure you'll still be contributing much more often than I do!
Hey Ed, what's the other particular band that you're very into these days?
Thanks for your compliment; it was always a pleasure to do what I did here in an admin capacity. I'm glad you felt I did okay. I sure hope to see you again soon. :)
~moon safari

Roan's Lady

Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:45 am

yesman90125 wrote: hey BTW how many posts does one have to put up to go from starship trooper to "JUST ME" i kinda like that
I changed it to "Just Me" just before I "demoted" myself. An admin can change that title. If you want something different, ask N2 - perhaps he'll change it for you. :)
~moon safari

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:14 pm

nahh its ok as is-I'd be curios what Ed's into too musicly-allways on the hunt for new music Porcupine Tree and Ozric Tentacles have me wayyy hooked

tardistraveler

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:15 pm

Amy, how is your ankle healing? Did you have the surgery? My apologies if you've already posted the status on another thread . . . :)

Hopefully you'll be good as new by the Yes shows this summer!

This place has always been special to me . . . as a mod on Yesfans it's nice to have somewhere to go where I don't HAVE to take on that role, and the atmosphere here is always relaxed, with good camaraderie!

I DO miss those chat nights though . . . Yesfans chat gets TOO big and it's hard to follow, so I rarely go there . . . WE always had a great time here "initiating" people . . . ;)

We'll have to see what the future holds for all our sites . . .

As far as Yes goes, I have always been a fan of their music, and will always be, whether they make any more new music or not. And it's still fun turning people on to Yes who may not be familiar with them.

To me, the joy of these sites isn't that we just discuss Yes, but that we take that one point we have in common and see if we have other commonalities as well. And I've really found that we do . . . it's been great getting to know you all here as individuals . . .

Love to you all today!

Ed1909
Starship Trooper

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:39 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:Hey Ed, what's the other particular band that you're very into these days?
I've become something of a mega Mostly Autumn fan (and not just because of the aesthetic appeal of lead vocalist Heather Findlay ;) ). Not as "proggy" as Yes, but a lot of emotionally charged and powerful music.
Well worth investigating.
High vibration go on...

tardistraveler

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:09 pm

Ed1909 wrote:I've become something of a mega Mostly Autumn fan (and not just because of the aesthetic appeal of lead vocalist Heather Findlay ;) ). Not as "proggy" as Yes, but a lot of emotionally charged and powerful music.
Well worth investigating.
I like Mostly Autumn as well and have some of their CD's . . . :)

Check out the "What New Bands Have You Discovered" thread that I started in Alternate Tunes . . . your statement here inspired it . . . ;)