When do you spend money?

Feel like discussing other things with your YEStalk friends? Speak your mind in our off-topic YEStalk section.
YesFan01
Active Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:26 am
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs

When do you spend money?

Post: # 107206Post YesFan01
Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:47 pm

How do you spend your money? Not your bills etc. but your "spend"....do you buy when you're depressed? When you're happy? Or when you feel you deserve something? I'm generally not a big spender, I like to get some new clothes each season, but I bargain hunt, I hate to spend a lot of money when I can find it cheaper somewhere else! I spend on flowers in the summer too.....can't have enough! Love to see them everywhere and I love to water them in the morning. How about anybody else?

User avatar
Dr_Yes
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2001 5:00 pm

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107207Post Dr_Yes
Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:11 pm

I have a stupidly large mortgage and a young family so spending money on non-essential items is something of a rarity.

That said, I do like to buy CDs, books and DVDs when I can justify it and have recently bought a few Gong albums, some Porcupine Tree stuff and The Short Stories of Saki (HH Munro).

I tend to fall into the "I need to cheer myself up so I'll buy something" category.

Other major purchases are for the house: new fence to keep young children safe from the stream that runs along the back of our home; washing machine, after ours died. That kind of thing.

I occasionally get envious of people jetting off to the Bahamas or other sunny climes and think that maybe we'll get a week away on a campsite in Dorset, but in the main we're happy. And that's priceless.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

yesman90125
Starship Trooper
Posts: 2764
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:00 pm

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107208Post yesman90125
Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:33 pm

Pretty much the same Deal Cd's Books DVD's
clothes a couple of times a year
Presents on birthdays
I don't Spend out of guilt or depression or anything
if something new comes out that I'm really into I get it
I have tended to order things online more and more
hardware and things I need for the house I get at Home Depot or Walmart pretty much
being that I work with tools
thats Probably my biggest expense
I'm not much of a bargain hunter I try to get the best of things when I do get them
I spose not buying things often makes me a conservative spender

User avatar
tardistraveler
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Nashville, TN, USA.

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107209Post tardistraveler
Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:37 pm

I probably tend to spend more when I'm happy and excited . . . :D

When I'm depressed, nothing seems like the right thing, and I hate to shop.

sound_chaser
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: The Light Side.

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107222Post sound_chaser
Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:56 pm

Having had five children, there's never been much spare money around, but I do like to treat myself to a couple of CD's a month, as well as my Mojo magazine, of which I have a full set. Four of them have now left the nest and the youngest will hopefully be off to university later this year, so even now the cash situation is a bit easier, we're not ones to splash out a lot: although we have just booked a holiday without children to Fuerteventura in a few weeks, so I'm really looking forward to that.

sound_chaser
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: The Light Side.

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107223Post sound_chaser
Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:04 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:maybe we'll get a week away on a campsite in Dorset, but in the main we're happy. And that's priceless.




You can't beat Dorset, I've lived there all my life…well almost anyway. I’ve always lived in the lovely old seaside town of Christchurch, but when I was growing up, it was in the county of Hampshire. At some point years ago, there were boundary changes and so Christchurch was moved into Dorset, where it’s been ever since. Which parts of Dorset do you like especially?

User avatar
Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:00 pm
Location: California, on the Edge of the Continent

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107237Post Greenglade's Frog
Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:37 pm

Major purchases for me monthly are : Junk food at local mini-mart, like Cheetos and Cornuts, Pepsi or Coke, Snapple ice tea, Fritos.
Then, of course, about 2 cartons of cigs per month.

Then gas, maybe $45 a month. Don't drive much.

Food: I cook a lot of beans and peas. Huumus is sort of expensive. Tortillas, pasta , rice, milk, grapenuts, bread.


All the movies I want to see I can download legally from numerous sites because they are public domain or trashy sleazy films or I get bootleg concert films or download stuff from Youtube , burn it to DVD. I have my entertainment bases completely covered. I know a lot of sites where I can download rare old rock and progressive for free. All second hand store type LP's uploaded from collectors.

I go to my library booksale. Lots of donations, so I get cheap VHS tapes of really cool collectors films, expensive foreign language books, etc. for very low price. Like $1 for VHS...

I don't buy clothes often. I rarely go to bars.

I spend like $4 a week at Starbucks..

I buy Zantac a lot.

Sometimes I buy a cheap bottle of vodka or some Bud Lite...

Library rents DVDs for$1 a week.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

User avatar
Dr_Yes
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2001 5:00 pm

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107249Post Dr_Yes
Thu May 01, 2008 8:26 am

sound_chaser wrote:You can't beat Dorset, I've lived there all my life…well almost anyway. I’ve always lived in the lovely old seaside town of Christchurch, but when I was growing up, it was in the county of Hampshire. At some point years ago, there were boundary changes and so Christchurch was moved into Dorset, where it’s been ever since. Which parts of Dorset do you like especially?


I live just across the county border in Ottery St Mary in Devon and as the kids are young we can't travel too far in a single trip. Also, I don't much enjoy towing a caravan and prefer little jaunts. Hence we tend to focus on Bridport, Dorchester, Weymouth, Poole, and I also quite like Sherbourne. There's a good balance in terms of attractions - the kids love that marine world place in Weymouth (I think), we also like Monkey World, the Tank Museum (not been for a while), Yeovilton (next door but in striking range) and National Trust/Englidh Heritage castle sites. Bournemouth is also good for a shopping/mooching type day and we hope to visit that swimming theme park near Poole - can't remember its name. I don't think I've ever been to Christchurch. Is there much/anything there for kids (young 7, 5 and 3)?

Dave.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

sound_chaser
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: The Light Side.

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107254Post sound_chaser
Thu May 01, 2008 3:55 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:I live just across the county border in Ottery St Mary in Devon and as the kids are young we can't travel too far in a single trip. Also, I don't much enjoy towing a caravan and prefer little jaunts. Hence we tend to focus on Bridport, Dorchester, Weymouth, Poole, and I also quite like Sherbourne. There's a good balance in terms of attractions - the kids love that marine world place in Weymouth (I think), we also like Monkey World, the Tank Museum (not been for a while), Yeovilton (next door but in striking range) and National Trust/Englidh Heritage castle sites. Bournemouth is also good for a shopping/mooching type day and we hope to visit that swimming theme park near Poole - can't remember its name. I don't think I've ever been to Christchurch. Is there much/anything there for kids (young 7, 5 and 3)?

Dave.


Yes, absolutely loads for kids to do. We’re very close to Bournemouth, which is a great place to visit as you know. There are plenty of beaches and coastline to enjoy for miles in both directions from Christchurch. Also, the New Forest is right on our doorstep and when my kids were younger, they used to love going there: particularly to a small place called Bolderwood, which has a deer sanctuary. Close at hand is the Alice In Wonderland adventure park, which is a lot of fun: my daughter Katy once spent a summer season there playing the Alice character.

About a half hour drive from us is Moors Valley country park and it’s just a great place to take the kids for a day. If you fancy going a bit further a field, then Paultons Park and Marwell are both within easy distance for a day out. You can also easily get to Lymington for the Isle of Wight ferry to spend a day trip over there: well worth it if you’ve never been.

We used to go to Devon a lot for our holidays, particularly to Sandy Bay in Exmouth. I also have a friend who lives in Torquay, so I know that quite well as well. We also used to take the kids to marine world in Weymouth, Monkey World and the tank museum: small world isn’t it? Christchurch is very much geared towards its tourism, so if you want to know about a good caravan park, let me know.

User avatar
Kalingzeye
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:50 am

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107255Post Kalingzeye
Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm

I'm totally a compulsive buyer & shopaholic... I won't buy anything for a couple months and then all of a sudden I'll see a bunch of things I want and go crazy. Usually it's to make me feel better or reward myself. I usually buy online nowadays, random stores or Ebay... & I usually go for cheap or Sale items, tho- they're always best! And then I don't feel so bad about buying em, haha. Usually I buy clothes, purses, and the like. Sometimes YESstuff. Like I just went nuts like.. this semester. Bought a new jacket last month, a sweater before that, and two purses. All from Ebay. :D But now I'll probably go on a dry spell till July or something. (I hope! Cuz then I get home to my fellow shopaholic little sister and it's hard to resist, hahaha...)

User avatar
Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:00 pm
Location: California, on the Edge of the Continent

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107266Post Greenglade's Frog
Thu May 01, 2008 10:10 pm

I stopped wasting money on purses a year ago.

Today I sort of wasted $3.50 on a caffe latte at SB's. Real expe. if you do it several times a week.

Even buying vegetables, which used to be a good value is skyrocketed. Green bell peppers for $1.69 each? Rip. Tomatoes are like $5 a pound. Beans remain cheap at like 69cents. Lunch meat, you can get deals, but better to buy a whole chicken. Celery for over a $1? Avocados for $2? Block of crappy generic cheddar for $5?

Reall good thing is that entertainment is cheaper! All the stuff I want I can get off Internet, which means older rare stuff that no one bothers copyright on anymore...I can make a complete video also off youtube downloads...

Beer is cheaper now than 5 years ago. Everyone is carb conscious now. You can get a case for like $10 at Rite Aid, then you have to buy new jeans because your waist size climbs to 38.

Cigs are cheaper. $32 a carton. Used to be almost $40..
Clothes, who needs clothes. Wear sandals, shop at Mervyns.
Haircuts? $20. Better just let hair grow.
Razors? Just let beard grow.
Soap- good deal on Irish Spring 6pack bar soap.

Bars: my friend waits until 11 PM. No need to buy drinks for chixxx that are already buzzed.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

User avatar
Dr_Yes
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2001 5:00 pm

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107270Post Dr_Yes
Fri May 02, 2008 11:53 am

sound_chaser wrote:Yes, absolutely loads for kids to do. We’re very close to Bournemouth, which is a great place to visit as you know. There are plenty of beaches and coastline to enjoy for miles in both directions from Christchurch. Also, the New Forest is right on our doorstep and when my kids were younger, they used to love going there: particularly to a small place called Bolderwood, which has a deer sanctuary. Close at hand is the Alice In Wonderland adventure park, which is a lot of fun: my daughter Katy once spent a summer season there playing the Alice character.

About a half hour drive from us is Moors Valley country park and it’s just a great place to take the kids for a day. If you fancy going a bit further a field, then Paultons Park and Marwell are both within easy distance for a day out. You can also easily get to Lymington for the Isle of Wight ferry to spend a day trip over there: well worth it if you’ve never been.

We used to go to Devon a lot for our holidays, particularly to Sandy Bay in Exmouth. I also have a friend who lives in Torquay, so I know that quite well as well. We also used to take the kids to marine world in Weymouth, Monkey World and the tank museum: small world isn’t it? Christchurch is very much geared towards its tourism, so if you want to know about a good caravan park, let me know.


Hey that's great, thanks sound chaser!
As you say, it's a small world! Do you ever get to the Cheese and Grain at Frome? Would be nice to catch up with you there (or alternatively Mr Kyps in Poole), say heelpo and buy you a pint sometime, maybe.

Thanks for the offer of advice too. We've endured a number of cruddy caravan parks over the years (as well as some super ones). Local knowledge would be most welcome. I'll PM you when we get closer to the date if that's okay? My five-year old daughter would love an Alice in Wonderland theme park. Looks like there's plenty of scope all round in fact.

Cheers

Dave.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

happytheman
Charter Member
Posts: 870
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: .

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107271Post happytheman
Fri May 02, 2008 2:13 pm

Greenglade's Frog wrote:
Then gas, maybe $45 a month. Don't drive much.


I wish! With gas over 3.60 a gallon (I know you folks in Europe have paid that for decades but it's quite a shock to me). I run through 60+ dollars a week!

User avatar
Dr_Yes
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2001 5:00 pm

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107272Post Dr_Yes
Fri May 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Actually we're getting closer to £5 ($10) a gallon now. My fuel bill - and I am very low usage (>4,000 miles per annum) - has climbed from £40 to over £60 ($120) a month in under two years. My wife's bill is double that. And I only use my car to get to work - to pay the higher taxes I'm being charged under Brown's government. Fuel tax alone is around what 80p in every £1 or something ludricrous like that and still you can't find a decent bus, train or other alternative where I am after 6pm.

So consider yourselves lucky!

And the government - useless tossers to a one - are changing car tax from next year making it EVEN more expensive to use a motor vehicle. Cars registered after 2001 (even basic non- gas guzzlers) could go up from £200 to over £400 we're warned.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

User avatar
tardistraveler
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Nashville, TN, USA.

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107273Post tardistraveler
Fri May 02, 2008 5:02 pm

It's next to impossible to do anything here using public transport, so I've been hit pretty hard by the gas prices rising . . . $100-$120 per week, unfortunately.

Food costs are rising too because the trucking costs are increasing . . . many things have doubled in price over the last year.

It's going to take some rethinking, for sure. . .

YesFan01
Active Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:26 am
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107276Post YesFan01
Sat May 03, 2008 1:46 am

tardistraveler wrote:It's next to impossible to do anything here using public transport, so I've been hit pretty hard by the gas prices rising . . . $100-$120 per week, unfortunately.

Food costs are rising too because the trucking costs are increasing . . . many things have doubled in price over the last year.

It's going to take some rethinking, for sure. . .


So very true....my husband owns a trucking company and the diesel fuel here is thru the roof! We have been operating for the last month at close to cost, and even at a loss....diesel is $4.60 a gallon, and just for your info, it costs $1,500.00 dollars to fuel an 18 wheeler now, and they only get 5.3 mpg...you do the math.....the shippers have been very reluctant to raise the rates to the trucking companies, but so many trucks have refused to haul at a loss, that they are starting to raise the rates, hence EVERYTHING in a store will go up......the industry doesn't predict that the diesel will go down, so that means that everything will go up - we see that the produce is now thru the roof at the stores....this is due to most of the country's produce is currently coming up either out of FL to the northeast states and that's a long haul for the truck, so the rates to the trucks are slowly coming up; plus the rest of the produce is coming out of Gloucester City Ports in NJ from ships; and that is being trucked to the midwest and southwest - again, long hauls, more fuel, more money. I don't know the reason, but I like to blame Bush since I hate him anyway. :cool:

yesireebob
Posts: 2131
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:14 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107279Post yesireebob
Sat May 03, 2008 3:12 am

I am lucky that I can work at home three days a week, that saves a TON of money on driving expenses, not to mention the aggravation of all the traffic and perpetual road construction. Of course, I do help out my son with a tank of gas here and there, so there goes my savings!

When it comes to spending, I am very bad when it comes to music and books. If I happen to stray into a book or music store, I never leave empty handed. I don't actually go out shopping much, but Amazon is always a handy distraction/temptation. In fact, I was reviewing a credit card statement earlier today and every other charge was Amazon. Not a lot on each charge, but all those bargains sure do add up! : (

I also tend to spend money on traveling, I love to get out of Dodge for a while. Alas, the cost of gas is certainly taking it's toll on those "cheap" flights. Another area is which the internet allows me to spend more money than I should without ever leavin home! If fact, if I just got rid of the internet, I would probably save a lot of money!!

But then no YesTalk. Hey at least THAT doesn't cost! Well, unless you figure the cost of flying to remote concert locations to see shows with fellow YT'rs... Chicago, anyone?

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107297Post ImstillYesmam
Sun May 04, 2008 5:12 am

I'm not a big spender, most of the cash goes to pay bills, buy the usual groceries, gasoline, necessities. I like to go to flea mkts./garage sales etc. so I don't usually spend a lot for those type of things.

What I do spend on is my daughter, I am a complete sucker when it comes to her and will spend more money on her then I really should.
Theres a time, and the time is now, and it's right for me,
Theres a word, and word is love, and it's right for me. [:yes]

sound_chaser
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: The Light Side.

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107306Post sound_chaser
Sun May 04, 2008 9:40 am

Dr_Yes wrote:Hey that's great, thanks sound chaser!
As you say, it's a small world! Do you ever get to the Cheese and Grain at Frome? Would be nice to catch up with you there (or alternatively Mr Kyps in Poole), say heelpo and buy you a pint sometime, maybe.

Thanks for the offer of advice too. We've endured a number of cruddy caravan parks over the years (as well as some super ones). Local knowledge would be most welcome. I'll PM you when we get closer to the date if that's okay? My five-year old daughter would love an Alice in Wonderland theme park. Looks like there's plenty of scope all round in fact.

Cheers

Dave.


The Cheese & Grain no, but Mr. Kyps Yes. I work only about five minutes drive from Kyps, so I sometimes get dropped off there after work and get a lift home from a friend who I meet there. There is now a similar venue in Christchurch, which my son Justin has recently begun band promoting bands at. It's called the Thomas Tripp Late And Live. I’ve been helping him find a few bands and we’ve so far found some pretty good tribute bands that don’t get to Kyps. I’m also doing the odd playlist for pre-gig music, so that’s a lot of fun. Feel free to pm and it would be nice to meet up for a pint.

I was thinking about booking seYes, but I see they're at Kyps on September 14th. It's a Sunday, so if you feel like meeting up, I definitely plan on going. The gig guide says they are playing in Tavistock on the Saturday, so that may be closer to you. I've seen Fragile a couple of times, so it will be intereting to check this lot out.

User avatar
Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:00 pm
Location: California, on the Edge of the Continent

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107337Post Greenglade's Frog
Mon May 05, 2008 12:40 am

Booze, sort of a waste of money to spend on. I am glad I do not have a pet or kid to feed now.

I have too much music to justify buying more. Lots of dusty CDs sitting around. I like obscure stuff, so I can go on internet and get it.

Junk food is pretty much a waste. Tootpaste is a good deal. Floss , soap,...

Travel: gotta always save for a trip to Europe every 2 years. Otherwise life gets dull.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

yesman90125
Starship Trooper
Posts: 2764
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:00 pm

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107338Post yesman90125
Mon May 05, 2008 1:27 am

ImstillYesmam wrote:I'm not a big spender, most of the cash goes to pay bills, buy the usual groceries, gasoline, necessities. I like to go to flea mkts./garage sales etc. so I don't usually spend a lot for those type of things.

What I do spend on is my daughter, I am a complete sucker when it comes to her and will spend more money on her then I really should.

My kids suck me in on a pretty consistant basis too
they're almost all adults and they cost me more than I ever spend on myself
Splurged this weekend
Went Bowling ,Played Frisbee Golf and Out to eat a couple of times
and saw "Iron Man" on the big screen
all of course with my 20 something entourage.

yesireebob
Posts: 2131
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:14 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107375Post yesireebob
Mon May 05, 2008 11:05 pm

Yes, even adult kids never stop being a money-pit! I help my son out with gas, groceries when his budget will allow no sustenance other than Top Ramen, and I pay his tuition and books when he is in school. And I pay our travel expenses when we travel together. Oh, and I used my tax refund to start an IRA for him. But investing in son's future is important to me, and well I guess I, too, am a sucker when it comes to my kid. However, he did spring for tickets to a comedy club for Mother's Day, and he assures me that one day he'll stick me in a really nice old folk's home. ; )

User avatar
Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:00 pm
Location: California, on the Edge of the Continent

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107380Post Greenglade's Frog
Mon May 05, 2008 11:23 pm

A good way to save money is to shop for food at an American drug store like Rite Aid or Long's. They often have deals. I got a ton of canned food and tea for $11.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

OB1kenOB
Charter Member
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: .
Contact:

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107382Post OB1kenOB
Mon May 05, 2008 11:49 pm

When I get it!
http://members.cox.net/kendrobertson/



"That which you are seeking is causing you to seek!"

User avatar
tardistraveler
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Nashville, TN, USA.

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107393Post tardistraveler
Tue May 06, 2008 2:21 am

yesireebob wrote:Yes, even adult kids never stop being a money-pit! I help my son out with gas, groceries when his budget will allow no sustenance other than Top Ramen, and I pay his tuition and books when he is in school. And I pay our travel expenses when we travel together. Oh, and I used my tax refund to start an IRA for him. But investing in son's future is important to me, and well I guess I, too, am a sucker when it comes to my kid. However, he did spring for tickets to a comedy club for Mother's Day, and he assures me that one day he'll stick me in a really nice old folk's home. ; )


We'll have to start an "old folks home" for Yes people! ;) Yes commune, with nurses! :p

You're a good mom starting that IRA!

Unfortunately, my tax refund was pretty much spent by the time it arrived last Friday . . . J.J. needed some new clothes for a school function . . . jacket/slacks/tie . . . and new shoes too since his old ones were falling apart . . . some medical stuff too . . . dentist and prescriptions . . . that just about did it in . . .

Fortunately, I'll get the medical expenses back from my flexible benefits account, so I'll get to spend it again! This time it will be for more medical, since I'm taking J.J. back to the scoliosis clinic first week in June . . . then I'll file flex, get it back AGAIN, and hopefully get my Yes tix then!

yesman90125
Starship Trooper
Posts: 2764
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:00 pm

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107395Post yesman90125
Tue May 06, 2008 2:47 am

tardistraveler wrote:We'll have to start an "old folks home" for Yes people! ;) Yes commune, with nurses! :p

You're a good mom starting that IRA!

Unfortunately, my tax refund was pretty much spent by the time it arrived last Friday . . . J.J. needed some new clothes for a school function . . . jacket/slacks/tie . . . and new shoes too since his old ones were falling apart . . . some medical stuff too . . . dentist and prescriptions . . . that just about did it in . . .

Fortunately, I'll get the medical expenses back from my flexible benefits account, so I'll get to spend it again! This time it will be for more medical, since I'm taking J.J. back to the scoliosis clinic first week in June . . . then I'll file flex, get it back AGAIN, and hopefully get my Yes tix then!

yup kids is a big expense
my son James has scoliosis too
not real bad though
he was doing triple back flips this weekend out on the Frisbee Golf course
so I guess it cant bother him that much I treat us both to the chiropractor pretty regularly
I'm sure my kids will be glad to have me and my wife put up in an old folks home but we're very young parents-so maybe they won't get a chance
I'd hate to have my oldest decide my fate
he'd dump me off on the nearest curbside and empty my bank account
before I knew what was going on.
my younger 2 would probably take care of us.
i have filed an extention on my taxes because they are so darn complicated.
I doubt I will be gettig a refund
that was the 80's
I allways pay in
I don't like to give them extra
I consider that an interest free loan to the government.
so
we take the hit
but I have accountants Srutinize and itemize down to the last penny
I dont think I'll have a house or any money if any of the lefty's get their way
I'll have to become a tax dodger like Wesly Snipes and all the Politicians

yesman90125
Starship Trooper
Posts: 2764
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:00 pm

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107396Post yesman90125
Tue May 06, 2008 2:56 am

I know what I wanna Waste money on next
Ima get me a gen-u-wine dilithium crystal
Image

User avatar
tardistraveler
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Nashville, TN, USA.

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107399Post tardistraveler
Tue May 06, 2008 2:56 pm

yesman90125 wrote:yup kids is a big expense
my son James has scoliosis too



My son has a pretty severe lumbar curve . . . there's a chiropractor in Stillwater, MN who specializes in its treatment, and he's made some excellent progress with J.J.!

And doesn't that dilithium crystal look suspiciously like quartz? I'd be wary . . . don't think you're getting the REAL thing there! ;)

User avatar
Dr_Yes
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2001 5:00 pm

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107401Post Dr_Yes
Tue May 06, 2008 5:45 pm

sound_chaser wrote:The Cheese & Grain no, but Mr. Kyps Yes. I work only about five minutes drive from Kyps, so I sometimes get dropped off there after work and get a lift home from a friend who I meet there. There is now a similar venue in Christchurch, which my son Justin has recently begun band promoting bands at. It's called the Thomas Tripp Late And Live. I’ve been helping him find a few bands and we’ve so far found some pretty good tribute bands that don’t get to Kyps. I’m also doing the odd playlist for pre-gig music, so that’s a lot of fun. Feel free to pm and it would be nice to meet up for a pint.

I was thinking about booking seYes, but I see they're at Kyps on September 14th. It's a Sunday, so if you feel like meeting up, I definitely plan on going. The gig guide says they are playing in Tavistock on the Saturday, so that may be closer to you. I've seen Fragile a couple of times, so it will be intereting to check this lot out.



Cool! Sounds like a plan in the making. I am a big fan of seYes. I saw them in Bolton earlier this year for the first outing of The Gates of Delirium and was really impressed by how much they sound like classic 70s Yes. I am slap bang in the middle of both venues, but I've never been to Mr Kyps so that holds a stronger draw. The new venue sounds interesting. I am currently working in an acoustic duo doing covers and it seems there aren't so many venues around as there were when I was playing live about 7 years ago. So it's nice to hear of places opening up. Does the venue you mention have just one stage or does it cater to smaller acts in a bar type format? Shameless self-promotion I know but if I leave it to the other guy in the band we won't get anything moving!
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

User avatar
Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:00 pm
Location: California, on the Edge of the Continent

Re: When do you spend money?

Post: # 107403Post Greenglade's Frog
Tue May 06, 2008 5:49 pm

<TABLE class=MsoTableGrid style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: black 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: black 1pt solid; WIDTH: 159.6pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=213>65.00 Euro
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: black 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; WIDTH: 159.6pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=213>51.44 Brit pound
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: black 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; WIDTH: 159.6pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=213>$100.00 US Dollar<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com :o ffice :o ffice" /><o :p ></o :p >
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Not in Europe, I am afraid. :cool:
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Post Reply