The U.S. Presidential Election

Feel like discussing other things with your YEStalk friends? Speak your mind in our off-topic YEStalk section.
Roan's Lady

The U.S. Presidential Election

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:11 am

It won't be long until a new cap'n is at the helm. What's everyone thinking about?
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

happytheman
Charter Member

Re: The U.S. Presidential Election

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:16 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:It won't be long until a new cap'n is at the helm. What's everyone thinking about?
Revolution

Dr_Yes

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:26 pm

I just want it (the election) to be over. I don't know if the UK media has been as obsessed as this time round. Says a lot really.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:03 pm

I'm thinking about a long winters nap

tardistraveler

Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:05 pm

I'll just be glad when it's OVER . . . :rolleyes:

Kalingzeye

Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:33 pm

tardistraveler wrote:I'll just be glad when it's OVER . . . :rolleyes:
Yeah, ditto... x_x

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:29 am

Yes I am tired of this election too, but this time we almost need the time to bring out the truth, I follow the news everyday, from many sources. I can remember that I was takin in by the things Obama had to say towards the first of the year, but after a lot of research, I find that he scares the hell out of me. I know that the media has never done a worse job then they have done lately. Thats why I have spent time on why each canidate has voted the why they did, and not just that they voted for, or against. I also rely a lot on audio of what each canidate has actually said over time, and it blows me away what the media is able to get away with as for as going to the point of Lying. Even My sister, who lives in SAn fransisco, who has never voted for a republicain, says she will not vote for Obama, because what he and nancy polosie and harry reed and the likes will be able to do, can cause grave damage. My vote will not go for Mcain, as much as it will go against Obama. Even if Mcain gets elected, I dont know if he will solve our problems, and if he is, I can expect that the media will do nothing but paint him as the devil every day, but I can not live with the amount of damage that Obama can create. I am a middle class person, but I can deal with my destiny. I dont want people, who have sacrificed and worked hard, to have there fruits of there labor takin from them, and givin to those who havent. I have know, too MANY people who have gone from nothing, a penny to their name, to sucsesfull people who create jobs for others. I also know that I have never worked for some one who wasnt self motivated. This is AMERICA, where you have the right and freedom to become succsesful. My God I have seen people as dumb as a stump, proudly make their own way. PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN CHOICES, and for those who get just caught off gaurd, yes we should help. I have never had a child, why, because I have never until now ( now that Iam old) I have never been in a relationship stable enough, that I would feel right to bring a life into this world, if I had then maybe I would have become a burdon to every one else, and possible have had a child that would have not have what they would deserve to be a giving happy, untroubled member of society. I beleve to many people only, or think of themselves first. Its seems to me, we use to help each other more, help each other, and support each other more. I can remember having to take on more hours at work, just to make sure that the charities we donate too would not miss a payment, while our own family thightened our belt. To think that Government will solve everything, when it seems that Government has screwed everything else they have done, is beyound me. I have lived all over this country, and traveled around the world, and it scares me to become anything more like them. America has done things wrong, and made mistakes, but I can find no equal, maybe the only equal I will find, is if we colapse, as many other super powers thruogh out history have when ignorent people have been allowed to take them down.
perigee3

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:40 am

I can not believe the over whelming amount of people who have such a lack of knowledge of either candidate,
or just go by what the media tells them to be the truth. Its like some one watching ER,
or scrubs, and then thinking they have the knowledge to give medical advice, or choose the best medical procedure.
This really bothers me during this election, because there is so much more at stake.
It worries me to see what acorn is doing, or even Rock the vote, or "vote or die".
I can just see allot of voter promotion pitches and organizations who are getting hoards of people to vote,
who will not take the time to research the candidates more, if at all before they vote. I sure am glad, that at least for now,
pilots still have to go to school and study flying before they let them fly me in a plane.
Having people who have nada as for as any education on this election to decide who best to fly this airplane called America,
I guess I'll just have to accept.
perigee3

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:55 am

I had a friend who I had known for 25 years live with my wife of ten years, that I met on a Yes chat line. He was, is a very smart man, but he expected others to do things, and create oportunities for him. After 8 months of living with us, he would not take jobs that where open to him, even though it would mean helping my wife and I when we where stuggiling, he was holding out for a job that he felt was up to his status, even when I had taking jobs stoking ware houses, just so I could provide for my family or my self and not become another burden on other families in America. My freind even stayed on welfare as long as he could even tho he could have gotten a job sooner, who pays for that, you and I. One day my wife, who worked, went to college, and raised 2 kids, before I met her, left a note on his door, asking for rent to help out. His reply was beyound belief, and when I got to the part that he called my wife a slut (to which I read no farther) he was out of our hose that same day. This from a college educated man.
perigee3

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:02 am

Final note tonight, I dont think very well of any one in politics right now. I would love to see some one with conviction and self sacrifice take office at all levels of government.
perigee3

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:41 pm

2Lizard4 wrote:Final note tonight, I dont think very well of any one in politics right now. I would love to see some one with conviction and self sacrifice take office at all levels of government.
I think a person having a desire to be in politics makes them automaticly disqualified for leadership.

john mccleary
Veteran Member

Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:56 am

I want it to be over to ;) [:yes] .

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:03 pm

I totally agree, I want it to be over. iTs a bummer to think that I am voting against some one, and not for some one. You know, really, this country belongs to US, not a party, and not the media.
perigee3

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:32 pm

2Lizard4 wrote:I totally agree, I want it to be over. iTs a bummer to think that I am voting against some one, and not for some one. You know, really, this country belongs to US, not a party, and not the media.

I'm in the same boat. I dont want to get too involved in this topic here. but sadly my vote is not For anyone either, it's simply a vote of stronger disatisfaction with the alternative candidate.
I'm sure everyone here allready knows what I think about the rest.
The media circus surrounding all of this has been a tragic nightmare.
It's shamefull!!

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:59 pm

welcome to my nightmare, I think your gonna like it, I think you,ll feel right at home.
perigee3

Terry Shea
Charter Member

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:25 am

I'm afraid we're going to soon be known as The Communist States of Obama.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:15 am

Terry Shea wrote:I'm afraid we're going to soon be known as The Communist States of Obama.
"The Peoples Republic Of America" ?

Kalingzeye

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:01 am

Have to say I agree with a lot of what you've said, 2L4 and Chris...
I'm sure you know how I voted, as well...
At this point, both good and bad things will happen, no matter who wins, and either way a lot of people are going to be angry. It's just a matter of whom.

One thing I will say about this particular election is the complete travesty of how the media has handled it... it's just horrible. And quite honestly, I think the voting age should be raised, cuz I deal with soooo many ignorant and jaded college kids on a daily basis, who don't know what the meaning of research or 'two sides to every argument'. They just assume they are right, don't understand the other side of any issues, complain like it's their fucking job, and horribly insult anyone who has a different opinion. I just have to keep my mouth fucking shut in class because if they found out in their political rantings that I was actually right-of-center, god knows what they would say. I have to sit there and listen to their ignorance and horrible horrible stereotypes until I'm on the verge of screaming, but I know if I said anything I would be immidiately labeled, and I don't want anyone to treat me or think of me differently. And I certainly don't want teachers to see me badly and have that possibly effect that relationship and/or my grades. It wouldn't be good that's for sure. And that's a damn shame. There's so much bullshit preaching out here about tolerance and acceptance, but it's just fucking fake. They practice tolerance, for sure, but only if you have the same opinions as them. And the media circus, all it's twisted slander, on BOTH sides, is really not helping. It's just disgusting. The perpetuation of this idea that if someone has different political views than you, it makes them a bad person... I really respect Obama for mentioning that in one of the debates, because it's very true, and one of the worst, most divisive things in our country today. Something's gotta happen with that, or we could really end up in another civil war.

...wow, I guess I had that one pent up, haha.... sorry bout that?

Roan's Lady

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:06 pm

Kalingzeye wrote:Have to say I agree with a lot of what you've said, 2L4 and Chris...
At this point, both good and bad things will happen, no matter who wins, and either way a lot of people are going to be angry. It's just a matter of whom.

One thing I will say about this particular election is the complete travesty of how the media has handled it... it's just horrible. And quite honestly, I think the voting age should be raised, cuz I deal with soooo many ignorant and jaded college kids on a daily basis, who don't know what the meaning of research or 'two sides to every argument'. They just assume they are right, don't understand the other side of any issues, complain like it's their fucking job, and horribly insult anyone who has a different opinion. I just have to keep my mouth fucking shut in class because if they found out in their political rantings that I was actually right-of-center, god knows what they would say. I have to sit there and listen to their ignorance and horrible horrible stereotypes until I'm on the verge of screaming, but I know if I said anything I would be immidiately labeled, and I don't want anyone to treat me or think of me differently. And I certainly don't want teachers to see me badly and have that possibly effect that relationship and/or my grades. It wouldn't be good that's for sure. And that's a damn shame. There's so much bullshit preaching out here about tolerance and acceptance, but it's just fucking fake. They practice tolerance, for sure, but only if you have the same opinions as them. And the media circus, all it's twisted slander, on BOTH sides, is really not helping. It's just disgusting. The perpetuation of this idea that if someone has different political views than you, it makes them a bad person... I really respect Obama for mentioning that in one of the debates, because it's very true, and one of the worst, most divisive things in our country today. Something's gotta happen with that, or we could really end up in another civil war.

Don't be sorry, Kota. Your words are refreshingly honest. I'm glad you are able to see through the haze. Hang in there. :)

I think what's below (Palin gets pranked) should be another indicator that the McCain/Palin ticket is something to be avoided:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eGRHUht ... re=related

Bizarre - it's like a bad dream! A nightmare, should McCain win on Tuesday.
~moon safari

Terry Shea
Charter Member

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Kalingzeye wrote:Have to say I agree with a lot of what you've said, 2L4 and Chris...

I hate to say this, and I completely understand the predicament you're in, but not speaking up is a big part of the problem. When both the media and faculties of the schools themselves try steering the students in a certain direction politically, what else are they going to believe? It's brainwashing, pure and simple, but most of the students don't even realize it. They believe the media and their teachers are going to tell them the truth 100% of the time and they don't know any better.

This game is nothing new. When I was 17 I wanted to join The Communist Party. Ha! I didn't even really know what communism was. I was just brainwashed into thinking that a move in that direction would represent "change" and everything would be "fair and equitable". Wrong! There's nothing fair and equitable about being lazy and uneducated but having the fruit of the labor of others to fall back on. I didn't begin to realize that until I'd worked for several years though. And don't even get me started about how many "facts" I learned in school I later learned were not true at all.

Another big problem is that it seems most people (but especially younger people) don't pay enough attention to what's being said but rather to how it's being said. I swear Obama could say he's going to kill every American and he'd still win the election because he speaks very eloquently and has a very professional, well polished delivery. Meanwhile, McCain could say he's going to eliminate taxes completely and he'd still lose the election because he looks like an old man with a bloated, lopsided face and doesn't hide his emotions well when his opponent is making a point.

But I digress. The point is, if they don't hear your voice, the voice of truth and reason, whose voice will they hear? I was like you when I was younger (except for the part about wanting to join The Communist Party). I was afraid to speak up (and I was a terrible debater). And I'm extremely shy too. But I decided I couldn't hold back anymore and now I say exactly what I feel and believe, and I believe that I'm a much better person now for doing so. If other students ridicule you for your beliefs, political or otherwise, then they weren't your friends in the first place and must be extremely shallow people. You can't worry about what people might say to you if you speak up. If they don't like you because you express a well grounded belief, that's their loss. But you might be surprised how many people actually support you and respect you for standing up for what you believe is right. And if any of your teachers give you a hard time for expressing a political view, then they're clearly out of line. Call Sean Hannity and he'll go to bat for you, or you can always send them to me and let me deal with them! :)

Cheers!
My music myspace page:

Terry Shea
Charter Member

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:01 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:Don't be sorry, Kota. Your words are refreshingly honest. I'm glad you are able to see through the haze. Hang in there. :)

I think what's below (Palin gets pranked) should be another indicator that the McCain/Palin ticket is something to be avoided:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eGRHUht ... re=related

Bizarre - it's like a bad dream! A nightmare, should McCain win on Tuesday.
Actually Amy, she seemed to handle herself very well. Meanwhile, Obama would like us to believe that he's been "punked" by the likes of Jeremiah Wright and William Ayers (among others) for years. And this is in real life we're talking about, not a stupid prank phone call.

Yeah he didn't know Jeremiah Wright is an unamerican racist pig or that William Ayers is an admitted terrorist and communist sympathizer. In fact they were serving together on these educational committees to attempt to ram their communist agenda down the throats of the school children! Yeah, he got duped all right!

And you're afraid of a stupid prank phone call?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/07/obama.ayers/
http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/?p=64
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/10/04/g ... ove-along/
http://www.zombietime.com/prairie_fire/
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/obama-ayer ... evolution/
My music myspace page:

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:40 pm

Kota, I'm not sure what the answer is. Friends and I have been talking about this new kind of Predjudice, the predjuduce of "Wrong thinking"
as if these political arguments were a mathmatical equation.
only insumuch as one can determine the exact value of PI. It seems today that if your not exceited about Obama you get labelled all kinds of things. You have heard all my argumnents, and they havn't changed much.
Only that I decided they were not likely wanted in this forum. So, my rants are just going on somewhere else.
The clearer the picture becomes the more I worry about peoples reasoning. Both in terms of this Obama Phenomenon and the Palin Phenomenon.
I was kiding back in May when I said all Obama was doing was saying he wasn't george Bush and that he was representative of Change- but 5 month later he's a few days from being president still saying those exact words and chastising those that are not comfortable with his socialistic tendencies. McCain is not much better. Both Candidates claim to have the anwers without presenting them. But where they both go horribly wrong is in the thought that what we all seem to need is futrher supervision and centralized control from our government.
Somehow missing the fact that allowing them (democrat and republican) so much control in the first place is why we are in so much trouble.
While the candidates fight over which one represents change .
They simply prove to be both incompetent and cluless.

Your frustration with the Media and Pop-culture (or popular fiction) is well founded and is the root of many of the inabilities people have sorting out the truth.

if you want to really blow your mind:
go watch the Nixon /Kennedy Debates and the Reagan /Carter Debates
(on youtube)
then compare them to the Obama/ McCain debates
if that doesn't make you sick nothing will

I never thought I'd long for leaders like Richard Nixon and Jimmy Carter

and I believe I never appreciated Ronald Reagan nearly enough

so on tuesday I might just swing the hammer for Bob Barr or reluctatly for McCain as the more semi-compitant idiot.

What is hapening here is simple; we are making the shift from a people that has a government to a government that has a people.

PS at the end of the day I still have wonder why we arn't now picking between Hillary Clinton and Ron Paul

Kalingzeye

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:55 pm

I know, Terry... in settings with fewer people, I always speak my mind- back home in PA, believe me, they know where I stand on things. But out here, in a classroom setting, they don't really want to discuss, they just want to gang up in their opinions. I know my closest friends would respect me, but for the most part, nobody would listen to me anyway. When they get going like they do, it's just a pack mentality of bashing, stereotyping, and complaining that I'd just rather not even get involved in. There might be a few who agree with me, but still. The people I have class with, whether I agree with them politically or not, are my future peers, coworkers, and even employers when we all get out into the industry, and it's not worth risking alienating those opportunities with a nasty political confrontation. Cuz I would rip them to shreds. And they would just freak out- 'ridicule' would be a nice way to put what they would probably say to me, just out of a gag reflex of never being publicly disagreed with... It's unfortunate, but out here in San Francisco (make that California in general), it's just not worth it to speak my mind...

Kalingzeye

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:12 pm

I don't know what the prank call thing is supposed to prove... it only exists to try and make Palin look bad, which I don't really find respectable in any way. She handled it okay enough, but I don't think it's a valid way to judge their campaign... It's just a dirty trick, to me. Doesn't prove much other than the guy on the other end of the conversation is an idiot and a coward. What's his point? I just don't appreciate "tactics" like that, I guess. For anyone. I respect a good, knowledgeable debate a lot more than a prank. >_>

Yeah, good points, Chris... I should check out those debates sometime... I don't really want to get into political arguments here, but rather just talk about the general state of our political culture... which is pretty messed up, if you ask me. All this black-and-white politics is really tainting our future generations who have grown up not knowing anything else... also I'm not a fan of the idea of big government, but it looks like we might be getting a scary dose of that in years to come. "We are making the shift from a people that has a government to a government that has a people." is a pretty accurate description... :\

But so much of this is just going to be determined by the historical nature of politics... it comes and goes in waves... it'll swing very conservative for a while, then it'll swing very liberal for a while... according to history, Obama should win this election, just because we've had 8 years of a pretty conservative leader. It's only natural. I'm still going to vote for what I believe, but generally, and publicly, things are always in flux. It's just kind of our way of trying to balance things out... this will only work out well if the winning ticket manages to hold the country together long enough to get to the next flux in political leaning, but if something really disastrous happens there's no telling whether or not this country will last another 4 or 8 years. It's kind of a game of chance, in that sense...

Roan's Lady

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:31 pm

Terry Shea wrote:Actually Amy, she seemed to handle herself very well. Meanwhile, Obama would like us to believe that he's been "punked" by the likes of Jeremiah Wright and William Ayers (among others) for years. And this is in real life we're talking about, not a stupid prank phone call.

Yeah he didn't know Jeremiah Wright is an unamerican racist pig or that William Ayers is an admitted terrorist and communist sympathizer. In fact they were serving together on these educational committees to attempt to ram their communist agenda down the throats of the school children! Yeah, he got duped all right!

And you're afraid of a stupid prank phone call?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/07/obama.ayers/
http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/?p=64
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/10/04/g ... ove-along/
http://www.zombietime.com/prairie_fire/
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/obama-ayer ... evolution/
I'm not afraid of it, I'm disgusted with it. The handling of that call by Palin and her staff demonstrates their complete ineptitude, in allowing that call to go on for almost six minutes. What in the world were they thinking? To me, their (and especially Palin's) lack of thinking speaks volumes. Sleazy, tasteless tactics or not, Palin and any politician needs to know how to deflect them - and if they don't, it's simply a very poor reflection on them. We're not going to the voting booths to elect comedians from Canada.
Terry, in response to my talk of Palin, you can slap up all the links you want to articles that support your anti-Obama sentiments, it doesn't impress me, nor does it have anything to do with the frustrating idiocy that Sarah Palin puts forth - and the idea that she could become President is something I simply can't stomach. To me, whatever Obama's true associations and allegiances were/are with Ayers and Wright (which I suspect neither you nor I know the complete truth about) are overshadowed by what I see as the potential for this country to change for the better under Obama's leadership, as opposed to that of McCain and (shudder) Palin.
~moon safari

Kalingzeye

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:40 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:I'm not afraid of it, I'm disgusted with it. The handling of that call by Palin and her staff demonstrates their complete ineptitude, in allowing that call to go on for almost six minutes. What in the world were they thinking? To me, their (and especially Palin's) lack of thinking speaks volumes. Sleazy, tasteless tactics or not, Palin and any politician needs to know how to deflect them - and if they don't, it's simply a very poor reflection on them. We're not going to the voting booths to elect comedians from Canada.
Terry, in response to my talk of Palin, you can slap up all the links you want to articles that support your anti-Obama sentiments, it doesn't impress me, nor does it have anything to do with the frustrating idiocy that Sarah Palin puts forth - and the idea that she could become President is something I simply can't stomach. To me, whatever Obama's true associations and allegiances were/are with Ayers and Wright (which I suspect neither you nor I know the complete truth about) are overshadowed by what I see as the potential for this country to change for the better under Obama's leadership, as opposed to that of McCain and (shudder) Palin.
You have a lot of good points... I don't know how that phone call went on for so long... that, I have no answer for. And I do think it's bad of them to have not cut it off, so that was definitely a mistake. And there are things I like about Obama, the biggest of which is that the rest of the world likes him. Overwhelmingly more than McCain. I don't know why, I guess he's just different, cuz I'd assume the rest of the world isn't 100% versed in our politics and national issues. I just don't agree with most of his policies. But I hope whatever the outcome on Tuesday, it works out for the best for our people, our country, and the world. I think both candidates have their pluses and negatives, it's just a matter of perspective...

Terry Shea
Charter Member

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:46 pm

Kalingzeye wrote:I know, Terry... in settings with fewer people, I always speak my mind- back home in PA, believe me, they know where I stand on things. But out here, in a classroom setting, they don't really want to discuss, they just want to gang up in their opinions. I know my closest friends would respect me, but for the most part, nobody would listen to me anyway. When they get going like they do, it's just a pack mentality of bashing, stereotyping, and complaining that I'd just rather not even get involved in. There might be a few who agree with me, but still. The people I have class with, whether I agree with them politically or not, are my future peers, coworkers, and even employers when we all get out into the industry, and it's not worth risking alienating those opportunities with a nasty political confrontation. Cuz I would rip them to shreds. And they would just freak out- 'ridicule' would be a nice way to put what they would probably say to me, just out of a gag reflex of never being publicly disagreed with... It's unfortunate, but out here in San Francisco (make that California in general), it's just not worth it to speak my mind...
San Francisco? Oh, I'm sorry. That's gotta be the toughest city in the world for a conservative to get a fair shake. You have my sympathies and my prayers are with you.
My music myspace page:

Kalingzeye

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:00 pm

Terry Shea wrote:San Francisco? Oh, I'm sorry. That's gotta be the toughest city in the world for a conservative to get a fair shake. You have my sympathies and my prayers are with you.
LOL yeah, pretty much. And I'm not even that conservative, I'm much closer to 'moderate' than a hardcore Republican, but anyone with a different opinion out here gets immediately labeled and pushed into one group. And I'm sure it'd be just as bad for a more liberal person to walk into... Texas or something and start calling people out. Apparently a recent poll showed 22% of Texans think Obama is Muslim? That's the same type of ignorance I get out here in SF. Just crazy shit I don't know how people come to believe. If I could, I'd just throw a whole bunch of southerners into CA and a whole bunch of San Franciscans into the south and let them learn first-hand a thing or two about respect and tolerance. :cool:

Terry Shea
Charter Member

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:24 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:I'm not afraid of it, I'm disgusted with it. The handling of that call by Palin and her staff demonstrates their complete ineptitude, in allowing that call to go on for almost six minutes. What in the world were they thinking? To me, their (and especially Palin's) lack of thinking speaks volumes. Sleazy, tasteless tactics or not, Palin and any politician needs to know how to deflect them - and if they don't, it's simply a very poor reflection on them. We're not going to the voting booths to elect comedians from Canada.
Amy, please refrain from the insults. Sarah Palin is not an idiot. She was the victim of a disgusting, mean, devious and underhanded trick, which proved absolutely nothing. What was she supposed to do? Why wouldn't she believe that the call was real from the outset? And it sounds to me that as the call went on she was probably questioning in her own mind if this guy was for real or not, but what's she going to do at that point? Be rude and end the call? What if she was wrong? And I don't know what the government of Quebec or Canada has to say about unauthorized taping of phone calls, but I seriously doubt this is legal. Why do you embrace such meanness?

Now, I'd really like to know which one(s) of Obama's policies you think are going to create change for the better. Is it how he says he's going to cut taxes for 95% of Americans while providing health care for an additional 47 million Americans? The numbers don't add up! He's going to be taxing businesses heavily which will put many small businesses out of business. It will send many larger corporations overseas. He's going to tax oil companies heavily which will raise fuel prices dramatically! These policies will lead to drastically higher unemployment and inflation, and will no doubt bring each to levels not seen since the Jimmy Carter era.

And most of what he's calling tax cuts are actually not tax cuts at all! Tax rates are not going to be slashed. The so called tax cuts are going to be paid mostly in the form of rebates and refunds which are actually expenditures. Once again, where is all this money going to come from? He's going to give a large portion of these rebates to the 38% of American households who currently do not pay any taxes. Worse yet, it's estimated by the Tax Policy Center that his policies will ensure that this figure will increase to 48% of American households who do not pay any taxes. How's that for fairness? Almost half of American households won't pay any taxes! And once again, where is all the money for these expenditures going to come from? These rebates are not going to be applied evenly and are geared heavily towards, guess who, those who pay no taxes whatsoever! It will benefit those making under $30,000 a year and those making between 75,000 and $200,000 a year. Those making between $30,000 and $75,000 a year (most of the middle class) will not see any tax reduction and may well see tax increases!

Here's an interesting link that takes a revealing look at Obama's tax plan will affect small businesses:
http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/10/ ... ncrea.html

Here's another:
http://www.heritage.org/research/taxes/bg2203.cfm
My music myspace page:

Terry Shea
Charter Member

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:57 pm

And if you consider Sarah Palin to be an "idiot" because of this prank, how do you rationalize Joe Biden constantly putting his foot in his mouth with comments such as this?

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened."

FYI, the stock market crashed in 1929, 3 years before FDR was elected president and long before tv was around.
My music myspace page: