Europe this spring/Guitarist vagabonding

Feel like discussing other things with your YEStalk friends? Speak your mind in our off-topic YEStalk section.
Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Europe this spring/Guitarist vagabonding

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Fiddlin' w/ the idea of going to Europe again this spring, with my guitar.
Since I was about 16, I always fantasized about being a true wandering minstrel. Read Ed Buryn's Vagabonding and was listening to a lot of early Genesis, ELP, Renaissance-era music, etc.

Lived in Europe for 12 years later on in life, so i got to live out my fantasy somewhat..

Back then, Thought I would backpack in England when I graduated from h.s. Go to Dorking and Surrey and find the Genesis dudes and play guitar with them and write a new Wind and Wuthering..Pretty naive I was.

Imagined playing Howe solo pieces in a Amsterdam or some German village...

Might be looking for travel partners/fellow musicans/guitarists for this trip

As the economy s*cks and I don't see much fun, I'd rather forgoe the miscellaneous big $$ expenses of living in L.A. and just take a Blackberry or some type of PDA and make my office mobile. No laptop, too heavy...

So, before I am 44 I can be a minstral like in Ye Days of Olde....

Imagine myself camping outside an English village, awakening to bird song, with Shakespearean poems in my head, then have a tea in a local pub before going the village square and playing "Greensleaves" and "The Ancient"....then a pretty blond Englishwomen would come up and give buy me lunch......

Anyway, don't see any use in spending so much in LA , especially summer, when I could be on the road w/backpack and guitar.....

I have extensive travel experience in Europe, but never the "minstral way"

If I decide to do this I will be looking for hardy fellow travellers/minstrals/guitarists/musicians
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Dr_Yes

Re: Europe this spring/Guitarist vagabonding

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:35 pm

Greenglade's Frog wrote:Fiddlin' w/ the idea of going to Europe again this spring, with my guitar.
Since I was about 16, I always fantasized about being a true wandering minstral. Read Ed Buryn's Vagabonding and was listening to a lot of early Genesis, ELP, Renaissance-era music, etc.

Lived in Europe for 12 years later on in life, so i got to live out my fantasy somewhat..

Back then, Thought I would backpack in England when I graduated from h.s. Go to Dorking and Surrey and find the Genesis dudes and play guitar with them and write a new Wind and Wuthering..Pretty naive I was.

Imagined playing Howe solo pieces in a Amsterdam or some German village...

Might be looking for travel partners/fellow musicans/guitarists for this trip

As the economy s*cks and I don't see much fun, I'd rather forgoe the miscellaneous big $$ expenses of living in L.A. and just take a Blackberry or some type of PDA and make my office mobile. No laptop, too heavy...

So, before I am 44 I can be a minstral like in Ye Days of Olde....

Imagine myself camping outside an English village, awakening to bird song, with Shakespearean poems in my head, then have a tea in a local pub before going the village square and playing "Greensleaves" and "The Ancient"....then a pretty blond Englishwomen would come up and give buy me lunch......

Anyway, don't see any use in spending so much in LA , especially summer, when I could be on the road w/backpack and guitar.....

I have extensive travel experience in Europe, but never the "minstral way"

If I decide to do this I will be looking for hardy fellow travellers/minstrals/guitarists/musicians

Hey GF, that's a wonderfully idyllic picture of England mate. However, be warned the Police are prone to move buskers on if they don't hold the requisite traders'/performers' licences to busk in quaint rural villages. Only messing with you - it'll probably be a great experience - just remember England/UK isn't such a wonderful place at the moment and the recession is biting hard here too. And Europe's not faring much better. Good luck and if you're in Devon - drop me a line!
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:Hey GF, that's a wonderfully idyllic picture of England mate. However, be warned the Police are prone to move buskers on if they don't hold the requisite traders'/performers' licences to busk in quaint rural villages. Only messing with you - it'll probably be a great experience - just remember England/UK isn't such a wonderful place at the moment and the recession is biting hard here too. And Europe's not faring much better. Good luck and if you're in Devon - drop me a line!

Thanks Dr Yes.
Yeah, I know about permits, but have busked in Prague and Plaka District in Athens in '94, and there was no problem. Don't know about UK rules...

Hey, people might need a cheap form of entertainment in those quaint villages, a few pounds sterling for "Mood for a Day" under an umbrella :)

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:30 pm

Dude, just listened to your cover of Wonderous Stories

www.myspace.com/60tonangel

Who was the singer?

Now that would be ideal for busking.

Dr_Yes

Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:51 pm

Greenglade's Frog wrote:Dude, just listened to your cover of Wonderous Stories

www.myspace.com/60tonangel

Who was the singer?

Now that would be ideal for busking.
The singer was a friend who kind of stepped into the breach when we couldn't find a guy to do it. She's now gone into the light operatic thespian side of things, but she's still singing.

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:31 am

gee, I wish I could shed responsibilty and just take off. THO EVEN WHEN i HIT 65 I hope I am still able to give my time to those less fortunate
perigee3

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:15 am

Dr_Yes wrote:The singer was a friend who kind of stepped into the breach when we couldn't find a guy to do it. She's now gone into the light operatic thespian side of things, but she's still singing.

Great voice.

Have you ever done busking?

Wonder if it be better just acoustic or with some type of small battery-powered amp.

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:35 pm

Decided against the amp. Actually, I'd rather just go completely unplugged.

Dr_Yes

Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:41 pm

Greenglade's Frog wrote:Great voice.

Have you ever done busking?

Wonder if it be better just acoustic or with some type of small battery-powered amp.
Deffo the small amp route for you I think. Most buskers I see in the regional cities where I tend to go opt for them. I've done some busking (eg Sidmouth FOlk Festival http://www.sidmouthfolkweek.co.uk/) but I mainly do/did small gigs and band projects. The Yes tribute thing lasted a good 2/3 years and since then I've gone a bit quieter music wise.

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:Deffo the small amp route for you I think. Most buskers I see in the regional cities where I tend to go opt for them. I've done some busking (eg Sidmouth FOlk Festival http://www.sidmouthfolkweek.co.uk/) but I mainly do/did small gigs and band projects. The Yes tribute thing lasted a good 2/3 years and since then I've gone a bit quieter music wise.

I dunno. I can't see myself lugging a little cube around Europe.

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:41 am

I think i may do this still, around May...lighten the load with just smaller backpack, laptop, and my new guitar ...[} :) ]

a destination would be any country with a ban on peacocks and squirrels.....and where people still remember mood for a day and the ancient hhahah

the greenman
Veteran Member

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:Hey GF, that's a wonderfully idyllic picture of England mate. However, be warned the Police are prone to move buskers on if they don't hold the requisite traders'/performers' licences to busk in quaint rural villages. Only messing with you - it'll probably be a great experience - just remember England/UK isn't such a wonderful place at the moment and the recession is biting hard here too. And Europe's not faring much better.
The good Doctor is right - England's a lot less of a rural idyll than it used to be! much more control, restriction & more CCTVs than just about any place!

If you really ARE planning on relying on earnings made busking, rather than funding it up front & just playing for the hell of it, little picturesque villages will have to be avoided (they're dormitories these days - you'll starve!) & you'll have to venture into the bigger towns & cities. There's some quite nice ones - especially the Cathedral cities, but put a list together & the Doctor & I will advise you!

& ad hoc camping is discouraged, or you may find PC Plod sticking his boot into your tent & slapping you in Clink for a night at Her Majesty's Pleasure for trespass, as reported by your friendly neighbourhood landowner.

Rule Brittania (& this is where it grabs ya..)

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:44 pm

Oh well, had to edit that post

Last two times in teh sceptered isle, I was hassled. Once I was detained for 2 hours for not having a return ticket, other time I was screamed at for asking where the smoking area was in teh airport..........

the greenman
Veteran Member

Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:12 pm

Greenglade's Frog wrote:Oh well, had to edit that post

Last two times in teh sceptered isle, I was hassled. Once I was detained for 2 hours for not having a return ticket, other time I was screamed at for asking where the smoking area was in teh airport..........

ooohh no return ticket?? they wouldnt like that! No wonder you got a reception committee!

But only twice you were hassled, I'd say that's a good result!

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:44 pm

I spend more time online talkin about this than actually preparing...

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Oh man, i feel the burden of this little project of mine....polishing up my repertoire but don't often feel like practising, it is the claustrophobic feeling of sitting and concentrating, when i just wanna play and run(from the Brit cops Euro cops, whatever, when they tell me to move along and ask me for "buskers' license".................

oh well, pressure of perfectionism, i feel 2 Howe solo pieces, Horizon's, a few Bach preludes, etc. is good enough.........dont wanna put ona whole concert need some fellow guitarists to fill out the show.... :(

Trying to get my old guitar partner to go along on this trip , man, tantalizing him with visions of ladies from far off lands who will be enchanted by our music and buy us beers on the gypsy road as minstrels in the gallery of hitchhikers European roadhouse...."Let me bring you songs from the woods"[} :) ] [:idr]

now I am going to be carrying around a $1,000+ guitar with me.......what if it gets mildew in the fields? :rolleyes:

thinking of learning to sing some Moody Blues, Simon Garfunkel, Oasis, Genesis tunes......as supplement to instrumental repertoire.... :eek: :o :)

Shit, what money are u going to use , Greenglade?--aside to myself

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:36 am

Just shut up and play but you MUST send pics of the nude beaches, with or without a Yessongs prop...no self portraits please, I can't afford the theraphy

Good Luck, you can do it and hopefully your friend will go with you to watch the doors and windows when needed....
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:03 pm

tribute1969 wrote:Just shut up and play but you MUST send pics of the nude beaches, with or without a Yessongs prop...no self portraits please, I can't afford the theraphy

Good Luck, you can do it and hopefully your friend will go with you to watch the doors and windows when needed....

Lined up a free flat in Prague from a friend for this summer, just have to pay utilities, $50 and Czech Crown is going way down against dollar.....

Actually wanna head down to mediterranean

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:40 am

im tinking of thinking about myself and doing what I want, and what is not going to help my fellow man. Im such a prude
perigee3

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 am

Maybe, I'll buy a harley, and wear harley underwear, that will make me cool, and give me a sense of purpose
perigee3

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Working on the mid part of "Classical Gas".

Glad I bought this $1,000.00 flamenco guitar made in Madrid from Gcenter for $580.00. This guitar is so good my fingers dont know how to react, like the are going what the "hell this is too easy....

Dont know bout this europe trip, how i am going to do it or which month,

the greenman
Veteran Member

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:43 pm

You might find more of the vibe you're looking for here - http://www.larmertreefestival.co.uk - 15th-19th July

I saw this & thought of you!

"Imagine.. being back in the most beautifully idyllic Victorian gardens deep in the heart of the remote Cranbourne Chase this summer.. Listening to music from around the globe with peacocks roaming freely in a magical and intimate atmosphere..."

Seriously, it's a nice calm intimate festival, they say over 80 artists this year, including Jools Holland with Dave Edmunds (famous rockabilly type quitarist), & Richard Thompson (the guitarists guitarist!) + 150 free workshops, carnival, hot showers & award winning toilets. Oh yes, every mod con!

Check it out!

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:51 pm

the greenman wrote:You might find more of the vibe you're looking for here - www.larmertreefestival.co.uk - 15th-19th July

I saw this & thought of you!

"Imagine.. being back in the most beautifully idyllic Victorian gardens deep in the heart of the remote Cranbourne Chase this summer.. Listening to music from around the globe with peacocks roaming freely in a magical and intimate atmosphere..."

Seriously, it's a nice calm intimate festival, they say over 80 artists this year, including Jools Holland with Dave Edmunds (famous rockabilly type quitarist), & Richard Thompson (the guitarists guitarist!) + 150 free workshops, carnival, hot showers & award winning toilets. Oh yes, every mod con!

Check it out!

Thanks Greenman

hahahahhahah

"peacocks roaming freely in a magical and intimate atmosphere"?

How 'bout "American lunatic w/shotgun and guitar roaming freely with a hunter's intentions"?

the greenman
Veteran Member

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:47 pm

Greenglade's Frog wrote:Thanks Greenman

hahahahhahah

"peacocks roaming freely in a magical and intimate atmosphere"?

How 'bout "American lunatic w/shotgun and guitar roaming freely with a hunter's intentions"?
hmm, might kind of spoil the vibe!! hahaha!

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:27 pm

more and more this trip doesnt make sense ,but who knows , maybe delay until summer. The friend that I wanted to go busk with will probably go to South America instead, so that's not gonna happen.

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:50 pm

actually am getting some musical action by working on a version of "Sweet Ride" theme song from film of same name. My friend is producing a documentary on Hollywood and Surfing" using Big Wednesday film as base....so as side project he wants to re-record the theme song with this young singer with great voice...

We rehearsed this for possible studio date, I play the theme riff on Strat and do little embellishing jams...

Other than that, I have no idea, even though spring has sprung and is springing, what I will do.. but I dont want to hang around LA beaches this summer when I could be enjoying the summer in Europe vagabonding adventuring around.....

Haven't practices guitar much or my classical repertoire.....but maybe just take the rust off a few Howe Hackett pieces etc..........

Wonder if i will just buy a ticket to UK or Europe in July...

going in June to Hawaii for my mother's funeral...

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:43 pm

Planned funerals?
Guess it's good to be organized.....
Hopefully the funeral will be a celebration of her life
and a family/friend reunion of sorts....

No Gram Parsons action....
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:31 pm

tribute1969 wrote:Planned funerals?
Guess it's good to be organized.....
Hopefully the funeral will be a celebration of her life
and a family/friend reunion of sorts....

No Gram Parsons action....

No she died 2 years ago, we are doing the Neptune Society-type thing.....

Haven't played guitar in weeks

Thought I might try to sing on my trip, maybe a Moody Blue acoustic tribute....

Maybe the guitar can double as a "prop" while chatting up Euro-babes at impromptu beach barbecues, Cal Moon Doggie flavor.... Beach Blanket Bingo...

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Mon May 18, 2009 7:48 pm

Umm, haven't yet got this planned...haven't played guitar in a month.... :confused:
Might go to Canada next month for a bit, sans guitar...