Favorite holiday things

Feel like discussing other things with your YEStalk friends? Speak your mind in our off-topic YEStalk section.
yesireebob

Favorite holiday things

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:52 am

This has been a very bad year for me and my family, and I did not think I was going to be able to muster a whole lot of Christmas cheer. However, you do things you always do and pretty soon you start to feel pretty merry anyway. Here are some of the things that make me feel warm and fuzzy this time of year.

The Nutcracker, peformed by Ballet Arizona, accompanied by the Phoenix Symphony. Timeless classic with two of my favorite local artistic companies at the helm. Haven't missed this since about 1995. I go with my mom, and the last two years we have been bringing my neice, 9 this year. Love Tchaikovsky's music for this ballet. Favorite scenes, the dance of the snowflakes, and the dance of the sugar plum fairy. Pure magic.

It's a Wonderful Life, with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. My favorite holiday movie with a message that always resonates -- especially now in these hard economic times.

Finding that perfect gift for someone and anticipating their delight in receiving it.

Sending holiday cards to people you don't see very often and wish you could see more.

Jon Anderson's 3 Ships.

George Winston's December.

The smell of pine trees.

The spectacular Arizona sunsets, which come much earlier and more intensely this time of year. Vivid blues, purples, pinks, and luminous golds. If it were a painting, you would swear the painter was hallucinating.

Donating to charity with a grateful heart.

Everyone wishing to make amends because after all, it's Christmas. Or Chanuka. Or the Winter Solstice. Or Kwanza. Whatever, it's a always nice.

So, what brings you holiday cheer?

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Re: Favorite holiday things

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:19 pm

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LAva6lUIOWQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LAva6lUIOWQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W6IAY9bSP7s&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W6IAY9bSP7s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Roan's Lady

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:12 pm

Raindrops, roses. Whiskers, kittens.

Crackling logs in the fireplace. Bein' really cold, then gettin' really warm.

Stamping out a giant peace sign with my boots (on my feet) during the first significant snowstorm. I've been doing that every year since I was a kid.

SNOW DAYS!!!

Getting Christmas cards and being told "Merry Christmas". It matters not that I'm Jewish. :)

Clarice: "There's always tomorrow for dreams to come true."

Linus Van Pelt: "And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people."

My mother's store-bought latkes that she tries to pass off every year as being home-made. (We never let on what we know to be true. ;) )

Balsam Pine incense cones.

Me, too; Jon's 3 Ships.

Surprising my son with a Hanukkah gift he never expected.

Being healthy, not wealthy but getting by, and a little wiser, I think.

Happy and merry and joyful to all. :)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

Kalingzeye

Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:22 am

HELLS YES! Watching ALLLL those awesome old animations on TV! I geek out every time...
Aaaand of course, my all-time favorite holiday movie, A Christmas Story.
"YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!"
AND watching Christmas-themed America's Funniest Home Videos... cuz that's like... my favorite show, haha...... :D I'm such a nerd.

Of course... going w/ the family to get our tree... luckily our living room is high so we always get around a 12-footer... enourmous tree of epic awesome... we need a ladder to decorate it... :p

Jon's 3 Ships is up there, too... and Magnification, actually. I remember it first came out around winter time and my whole family decorated the tree while listening to it on repeat VERY loud... and ever since then it reminds me of Christmas. :o

I would say snow, but I guess global warming is going on or something, cuz we haven't had a decent snow in years back home in PA. When we used to get blizzards almost yearly when I was little!!! BLIZZARDS! :\ I wanna sled so bad... it's just NOT cold enough anymore!!!

The BEST BEST BEST part is getting to see all my family/friends when I get home... we have almost 20 people over my house every year for a huuuge Christmas dinner (best food EVER), and many of our friends & family come down around New Years-ish, too... I rarely get to see my uncles/family on my dad's side, so it's nice to see em at least once or twice a year... ♥

Oh.. Right. And shopping. GOD do I love shopping.
AAAAAnd my birthday the day before New Years Eve. Ahahaha...
I'm 21 this year. THAT'LL be exciting... NOT. :rolleyes:

And ya know... I'm not even Christan, but I loooove me some Christmas.
It has such a good moral, brings the family together, and religious or not, people are just more caring individuals around the holidays... I LOVE being told "Merry Christmas" and looove saying it right back. ♥

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:22 pm

The Christmas shopping I can do without. I really do not like shopping, so just give gift certificates..

Like the vids I posted, the increasingly not shown puppet animations of Rankin-Bass, like Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer are what puts me in Xmas mood.

The most interesint Xmas I had was like in '76 in Maui with decorations on a little palm tree and a whole freezer of flank steak brought over from the mainland.

OB1kenOB
Charter Member

Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:13 am

My favorite part of the holidays is a couple weeks after they are over, after the pre holiday anxiety, gets replaced by the post holiday depression, then one day the sun shines and things are just things again for a while.
However the last couple years it has been fun to watch Badder Santa with Billy Bob Thornton.
Life is funny
http://members.cox.net/kendrobertson/

"That which you are seeking is causing you to seek!"

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:10 pm

Favorite part of the holidays is when they are over and threads like this peter out...

the greenman
Veteran Member

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:20 pm

what? No mention of the bASSmaster's Swiss Choir album? Should be in here I think!

I often find, as Autumn comes around, I descend into a Jethro Tull mood, with a sprinkling of 'And Then There Were Three' which appeals to my festive spirit.

yesireebob

Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:16 pm

Jethro Tull released the Jethro Tull Christmas Album in 2003, and it is quite good. I forgot to mention that one.

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:31 pm

John Andersons 3 Ships, Nat King Cole Christmas (to play when decorating the tree), and Bing Crosby Christmas.

I wasn't really into the holiday this year. did a bang up job on decorating the outside of our house since it was painted in 08, but just gave the inside a little decorating. Did not cook one thing, no baking, and no candy making this year. Just kinda cruised thru this holiday season.
house christmas 2008 005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Theres a time, and the time is now, and it's right for me,
Theres a word, and word is love, and it's right for me. [:yes]

tardistraveler

Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:26 pm

Dang - how'd I miss this thread??

I enjoy those Rankin/Bass specials too . . . they remind me of childhood, and also of enjoying them with J.J. as he grew up.

Love the special movies, most of which have been mentioned here already. I can't watch "It's a Wonderful Life" without sobbing at the end when all the love and friendship outpour for George Bailey . . . beautiful and touching . . . :)

We went to see a midnight showing of "Bad Santa" this year - it's SOOOO bad, yet touching in its own weird way as you see such unlikely people find each other . . . the theater had its OWN "bad Santa" there - you could pose for a pic with him, and he "entertained" the crowd prior to the show with a strange rendition of the the song "Worst That Could Happen", which degenerated into a treatise about his "giant pecker" . . . :rolleyes:

And of course, "A Christmas Story" goes without saying . . . it's just wonderful, and brings laughs and smiles no matter HOW many times I see it. Another Christmas movie tradition at my house is "Elf" . . . J.J. and I watch marathons of it sometimes, and marvel at how well Will Ferrell captures the innocence of one who had been raised at the North Pole, and knew nothing of the ways of humanity . . . we love it . . .

This year I did put a tree up, and few decorations, and we enjoyed them, although the CAT wouldn't leave them alone!

A Christmas tradition that I miss here in Nashville is the Nativity scene in Centennial Park. When I was a kid we'd ride out every year and wander through it . . . beautiful ethereal music would be playing and it was very uplifting . . . it's long gone now, but lives on the web . . .

http://www.nashville.gov/Parthenon/Hist ... tivity.htm