"Mantyhose", Anyone?

Feel like discussing other things with your YEStalk friends? Speak your mind in our off-topic YEStalk section.
tardistraveler

"Mantyhose", Anyone?

Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:27 am

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28527841?gt1=43001

So, if you're a guy, would you wear them?

If you're a woman, would you WANT a guy to wear them?

Let your voice be heard on this critical topic! ;)

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Re: "Mantyhose", Anyone?

Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:28 am

My husband wouldn't be caught dead in them.
Theres a time, and the time is now, and it's right for me,
Theres a word, and word is love, and it's right for me. [:yes]

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Wasn't there a movie about that....
Robin Hood, Men In Tights??
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

the greenman
Veteran Member

Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:59 pm

I've heard Builders on site often wear 'hose' under their jeans in the colder months as a layer of insulation.. work a bit like old fashioned long johns, I guess!

& given it was -8 here last night I'd be tempted if I had to work outdoors for any length of time! (he says, having just come in from a spot of 'logging')

Dr_Yes

Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:03 pm

And for the man who likes to explore the softer side of life:

http://gizmodo.com/5092694/man-bra-keep ... s-in-check
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:10 am

My brother-in-law has man boobs. :icon_ded

tardistraveler

Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:10 pm

tribute1969 wrote:Wasn't there a movie about that....
Robin Hood, Men In Tights??

Somehow when you call them "tights", it just doesn't sound as bad . . . ;)

But this . . . :rolleyes:

Chris2210

Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:41 pm

I'm more a stockings person myself.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

Tomfoolery

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:52 am

Ummm... I don't think so. Shoot, I don't even like SOCKS (but I wear them because #1) it's winter and #2) my job insists on it as part of the dress code.
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"

tardistraveler

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:16 pm

It gets worse . . .

Someone on another site just posted THIS link . . .

http://www.manties.net/

Shudder . . .

yesireebob

Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:56 am

Hey, didn't Chris wear mantyhose on tour a couple of times? With big furry boots?
:D

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:06 am

He was just trying to show off his "Stimulus Package"...
yesireebob wrote:Hey, didn't Chris wear mantyhose on tour a couple of times? With big furry boots?
:D
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

tardistraveler

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:27 pm

tribute1969 wrote:He was just trying to show off his "Stimulus Package"...

And succeeded, as I recall . . . :rolleyes:

yesireebob

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:23 pm

LOL!!!

the greenman
Veteran Member

Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:41 pm

tardistraveler wrote:And succeeded, as I recall . . . :rolleyes:
Now, now girls, younds like you need a cold shower! :icon_snow

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:06 pm

tardistraveler wrote:It gets worse . . .

Someone on another site just posted THIS link . . .

http://www.manties.net/

Shudder . . .

My mind is officially blown Diane. Did ya see the ruffles?

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:07 pm

tardistraveler wrote:And succeeded, as I recall . . . :rolleyes:
Absolutely.

tardistraveler

Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:29 am

ImstillYesmam wrote:My mind is officially blown Diane. Did ya see the ruffles?

Yes, and I just kept trying to imagine them on someone, and shuddering . . .

Chris2210

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:47 am

Ever wonder why our society likes to stress gender difference?

It's worth thinking about.

yesireebob

Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:42 pm

To a large extent, to identify and perpetuate the roles expected to be played by men and women based on their outward appearance, regardless of inner orientation. It is interesting that our notion of what constitutes effeminate clothing has become so cut and dried. A couple hundred years ago, men wearing powdered and ornately styled wigs, garters, silk hose and high heels, were considered the embodiment of masculine high-style. Women of the same era wore ensembles that disguised any semblance of shape from the waist down, yet exposed their breasts to an extent that would be considered shocking even now. The question of what is considered sexually attractive, and to whom, changes over time, as do the taboos.

I adore the ballet, which to me is music incarnate. A big part of the enjoyment is watching men AND women in tights using their bodies as instruments of musical expression. They are both atheletes and artists. Yet, I find many men are quick to dismiss ballet as an effeminate art form. You have no idea how hard it is to find a date for a ballet! However, it is a rather effective screening mechanism, because a man who would shun such a stunning art form because it threatens his sexual identity is not a man for me.

Chris2210

Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:16 pm

I was in a pub the other night [gosh, there's a shock] and there were a group of three women. These women had short haircuts, wore no makeup and were dressed in baggy Tshirts, jeans and trainers.

In other words precisely in the way that would be seen as exclusively masculine dress up until at least the fifties. I don't think it raised any eyebrows - it almost certainly wouldn't have occured to anyone to think these were 'transvestites'. But not just clothing, but gender itself is a cultural thing - and as you've pointed out, an ever-shifting one at that.

Now I certainly don't think there is anything at all wrong with women dressing like that [the hedonist in me might be a little disappointed], but what's the significance?

Well you can point to it and say that it is symptomatic of women's emergent equality, but I wonder is it entirely positive? The trivial matter of taste and attraction aside, is it actually women to some degree expressing equality with men by 'aping' masculinity? Is the 'ladette' phenomenon another rather disturbing aspect of this - women showing they are the 'equal' of men by emulating the 'male' excesses?

And if we look at the thing from the other side - men who show feminine characteristics are regarded as showing themselves to be 'weak' and inferior - nancies. Women behaving like men in business and in the street - are they 'buying into' the cultural image of masculine supremacy? [I'm playing devil's advocate here, because I don't think any behaviours should be the sole preserve of one sex].

I do genuinely believe that true equality will only come if the 'feminine' attributes are prized as highly [personally I'd be inclined to go for more highly] than the traditional 'male' characteristics.

So much in terms of gender is total junk, but women do themselves no favours by swapping one set of stereotypical behaviours for another. Just as men do themselves dreadful harm by denying anything that might alarm the consensus of a culture that promotes machismo at all costs.

Male gender variants are scorned, derided and mocked because they undermine the superiority of masculine traits - they are in short 'splitters'.

O' course some of us do look a bit funny in dresses too... ;)

yesireebob

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:05 am

I have often pondered the fact that girls, from babyhood, are adorned with pretty pink clothes, frills and ribbons, and taught that being pretty is a good thing. Then, when they grow up, they are punished for expressing their femininity by being deemed either silly and stupid or as brazen hussies. Thus, one cannot win in the traditionally masculine business world. Wear a suit, and one is deemed too man-ish. Wear something pretty, one is deemed as not very bright. Wear something womanly, one is deemed as too sexual.

Surprisingly, women are some of the worst offenders in such categorizations. It's sort of an appearance equity thing; you can be either pretty or smart but you don't get to be both. I hear professional women sneer that attractive successful colleagues must have gotten where they are on their backs or based on their looks alone. While it is true enough that being attractive may open the door more readily, once in the room one will succeed or fail on their own merits.

With men, the twist is that if they find a woman attractive, they lose sight of the woman as a real, feeling person with real abilities. Early in my career I remember a man telling me I was much too pretty to be a lawyer. To which I responded that he was far too ugly to say something that stupid. Didn't go over real well, but he did get the point.

A movie that express this phenomenon rather well is Erin Brocovich, who raised eyebrows with her manner of dress but proved to be the smartest of all. I loved her comment about the lawyer wearing two left shoes, both of them ugly. And, Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blond, the movie made rather a good point.

tardistraveler

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:33 pm

My point in starting this thread was just to be silly, but everyone's making some excellent points here about gender stereotypes and roles.

I too, love the ballet, and appreciate the human form as it's displayed in tights onstage, by both genders. And what's considered "appropriate" for a particular gender has certainly changed through the years, and will continue to do so. And I'm always happy to see stereotypes broken down.

I sit here at my desk in a sweater and slacks, wearing black aerobics shoes that would be considered "unisex". When I was in high school, I couldn't wear slacks and a sweater to school . . . sweater and a SKIRT was ok, but not slacks. And women didn't wear athletic-type shoes except for canvas tennis shoes during the summer. So I for one am glad to see THOSE old rules go away.

And I don't understand why it's so unacceptable for men to wear a dress or skirt. They can be very comfortable, and there were times in history when such loose clothing was more common among men (Togas, anyone? Kilts?).

And as for what people wear UNDER their clothes, well, that's certainly their choice. ;)

Tomfoolery

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Or, what some people DON'T wear under their clothes.... *grin* :eek: ;)

tardistraveler

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:45 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:Or, what some people DON'T wear under their clothes.... *grin* :eek: ;)

True 'dat . . . ;)

yesireebob

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:01 am

I was actually doing a little research on feminine attire and what it means, and ran across this article.

http://achristianhome.org/WelcomehomeMe ... odesty.htm

Now, [disclaimer coming] understand that I am by no means trying to say anything negative about Christianity or Christians. This surely does not represent how the majority of Christians think. But this woman's comments about offending God by not dressing true to one's gender, wearing dresses to remind herself that her husband wears the the pants in the family, and how her husband treats her more tenderly when she wears a dress is all quite, well, revealing, regarding the cultural role of feminine attire.

tardistraveler

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 pm

In the early days of TV, it was considered scandalous for a woman to wear pants . . . Lucille Ball had to fight for her character to be allowed to wear them . . . Mary Tyler Moore did as well, in her role as Laura Petrie on "The Dick VanDyke Show" . . . their rationale was that women WERE wearing them, and no woman was going to get dressed up to clean house, etc. - they'd wear pants.

I'm glad times have changed. ;)

yesireebob

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:44 pm

Yes, remember June Cleaver, cleaning house and cooking in dresses, heels, and pearls. LOL. Katherine Hepburn was famously trousered, but she certainly was the exception. A far more interesting piece of cinema is Garbo playing Queen Christina, in which she dresses as a man and flirts with another woman. I am pretty sure it's a pre-code film, and nothing like that was portrayed again for many a year.

It is interesting to note that about the time that women started wear traditionally male clothing as a matter of course, men's clothes became more feminized. Think of Robert Plant and others circa late 60's, long flowing hair, very tight pants, and flowery little crop-tops. Yet I don't think anyone ever questioned Plant's masculinity. Others simply defied categorization along lines of gender or sexuality, think Bowie.

yesireebob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:11 am

It just occurred to me that up until the 8th grade, girls HAD to wear dresses. We were not allowed to wear pants to school. And I'm talking about Los Angeles public schools, not any sort of private or religious school. They started out have a "Pants Day" for the girls, but jeans were not permitted. I am guessing they were deemed too masculine, since boys were allowed to wear jeans. That rule applied when pants were formally allowed for girls, but it was widely ignored and most girls just wore jeans. By the time I got to high school, there was no dress code at all. Jeans, cut-offs, halter tops were common. I once got sent home for not wearing shoes, they said it was an insurance issue, so I took to keeping a pair in my locker in case I was called on it.

Nowadays, there are definite dress codes in public schools again. For girls, there are rules about the width of tank top straps, length of skirt, no belly shirts. Some schools are even going back to uniforms. Of course the phenomena of little girls dressing like Britney Spears on a club night is a whole 'nother issue...

Tomfoolery

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:02 pm

yesireebob wrote:... Of course the phenomena of little girls dressing like Britney Spears on a club night is a whole 'nother issue...

Well.... not "little girls", and DEFINITELY not like Britney, but there ain't nothin' wrong with a woman dressin' like a uniformed schoolgirl on a "special occasion"...

Capital punishment, anyone? the board of education needs to meet the seat of learning!!!!!!!!!!! :spank :eek: :smileysex