Does anyone else like Budgie?

This forum is by no means meant to replace the Alternate Tunes forum but rather is designed to highlight the music of those earlier days when it all started and whose influence can still be heard today. Feel free to start your own thread heralding these ground-breakers and Earth-shakers.
topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Does anyone else like Budgie?

Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:50 am

Budgie, the Welsh power trio formed in the late 60's as Six Ton Budgie and then later changed to Budgie, is a band I've really getting into the past few years. I heard their most famous song, "Breadfan," a few times before on a friend's satellite radio and I knew it sounded somewhat familiar, having known that Metallica covered the song back in 1989-90 and really liked it, even though it sounds a bit different. Another plus for me was some of the album covers of theirs, which were done by none other than Roger Dean. I was able to acquire the album NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON A FRIEND, which has "Breadfan" on it and the whole album was very enjoyable, even with the two little quasi-psychedelic acoustic songs ("Riding My Nightmare" and "You Know I'll Always Love You'"). Great album, even though it cost a bit much ($21.99). Burke Shelley has one hell of a high voice, sort of a cross between Geddy Lee and Jon Anderson, and he also a great bass player, too. I started looking for more of their music and found that most of it is all rather expensive, considering them all being imports. I was able to download some of their songs, with the intent of eventually buying the actual albums, and found a lot of varied material, going between blistering metal, straight-ahead rock, folk, prog, psychedelia, blues, and the tiniest bit of AOR, along with a little sense of humor. One song I really love of theirs is "I Turned To Stone," off of their 1981 album NIGHTFLIGHT, which is another album I own. I think it's one of the best songs ever, as a matter of fact. This band, like a lot of other bands, has had its share of line-up changes with bassist-singer Burke Shelley being the only constant member for its 40+ years. What are all your thoughts, if any, about this awesome band?
Ascend and Create!

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Re: Does anyone else like Budgie?

Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:52 am

One thing I found out is that Budgie were actually a big influence on Metallica and Soundgarden, which is definitely a good thing.
Ascend and Create!

tardistraveler

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Well, you've piqued my interest here . . . I'll have to look out for their music. I had heard of them before, but haven't HEARD them . . .

thehallway
Charter Member

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:05 pm

:rolleyes: same. I've seen the album cover which has (what looks like) a giant budgie on the front being controlled by a man. I always thought it looked very Dean.
[8]

N2yes
Starship Trooper

Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:38 am

Sorry to say that I have yet to hear them. But then, I have quite a bit of catching up to do.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"