And We Can Fly From Here

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

Radiojen

And We Can Fly From Here

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:50 pm

I have a live version of this song, but is there a a studio version that can be found??
Father love. Do you work? Do you work for mother?

khalpin
Starship Trooper

Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:25 pm

I don't think it was recorded in the studio. Otherwise it would've ended up on the Drama extended edition.

That's really just a guess, though.

perpetualchanger
Starship Trooper

Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:12 pm

A couple of years ago there was an mp3 floating around that sounded like a studio version of it. If that was indeed the studio version, it sounded better live.
Michele Hriciso
My personal site:
http://www.bikerbitchblog.com

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:56 pm

There is a studio version of it, but it's not Yes. It's actually the demo that the Buggles recorded for Yes to use for Drama. I think it sucks that the band didn't use it for the album, along with Go Through This. It features Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes (obviously) along with Chris Squire on bass and Bill Bruford (yes, Bill Bruford) on electronic drums. It's not that great of quality but it's still listenable. At the end of the song it seems as if there's another song starting up but it only lasts a very, very short time. I've heard a few live versions of it in different steps (maybe weird tape?) and the versions that I have heard were not too shabby, but unfortunately I do not a good quality version of it. If only the band could put out that live box set like they were originally supposed to 2 1/2 years ago. As far as I know both Drama-axed songs were supposed to be on it. Does anyone have an mp3 of a decent version of GTT and WCFFH?
Ascend and Create!

Terry Shea
Charter Member

Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:10 am

topographic_drama1980 wrote:There is a studio version of it, but it's not Yes. It's actually the demo that the Buggles recorded for Yes to use for Drama. I think it sucks that the band didn't use it for the album, along with Go Through This. It features Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes (obviously) along with Chris Squire on bass and Bill Bruford (yes, Bill Bruford) on electronic drums. It's not that great of quality but it's still listenable. At the end of the song it seems as if there's another song starting up but it only lasts a very, very short time. I've heard a few live versions of it in different steps (maybe weird tape?) and the versions that I have heard were not too shabby, but unfortunately I do not a good quality version of it. If only the band could put out that live box set like they were originally supposed to 2 1/2 years ago. As far as I know both Drama-axed songs were supposed to be on it. Does anyone have an mp3 of a decent version of GTT and WCFFH?
How did Bruford get involved? The timing of his involvement would seem rather odd.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:23 am

Terry Shea wrote:How did Bruford get involved? The timing of his involvement would seem rather odd.

The info I got was from the Close To The Edge book. It was at the time when the band was still rehearsing as a three piece and the Buggles were becoming involved and Squire wanted to do something with Bill Bruford. The Buggles were gonna work up a song for Yes to use and Chris hadn't worked with Bill for so long, so he wanted to play with Bill (for some strange reason). And so, there you have it.
Ascend and Create!

ANDERSONG

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:06 pm

I have both MP3's. The live and studio versions. I like them both and they are very different versions. The studio has some really nice sound- and Trevor's voice voice sounds better after being mixed. The live version is faster and the keyboard work is very cool. I have loved this song since I first heard it. It would have been great on the album.

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:19 am

If this song (and "Go Through This", to a lesser extent) had been on Drama, I might have rated it as the strongest Yes album ever, on an overall basis! It's a shame - the album is only 36 minutes, so they COULD'VE easily fit one more song on (and they could've cut "White Car" if they were a little lacking for space, as well).
As for Bruford playing on it, if that is true, then it's probably merely cuz Alan was still recovering from his broken ankle that he sustained in early 1980... interesting, though, because it means Squire was already talking with Horn and Downes BEFORE he started rehearsing some of the material with Howe and White! Conniving character, isn't he? ;)

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:11 am

If anyone has a copy of the Close To The Edge book, it's in there. It didn't say anything about Alan, but it could've been when he was recovering. Who knows?
Ascend and Create!

SOUTHSIDEGUY
Veteran Member

Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:17 am

"Conniving" may be to strong a word.....how about "MASTERMINED"? :)

Chris, is the one who ownes the name "YES"

Can't blame a producer for being a producer.... :icon_wink