Self Expression or Irreconciliable Differences?

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

N2yes
Starship Trooper

Self Expression or Irreconciliable Differences?

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:37 am

Yes, we know how old the 'boys' are and how hard they tour, but jesus crisp, what is this inability to get off the ground when you're already established and certainly have the connections necessary to do so...or do they? Are Chris and Jon still at musical odds and is Rick, who said he'd never leave YES again, destined for recitals? Alan seemed ready to go with WHITE which suddenly turned rather black. Is the musical atmosphere innundating them with so many negative ions that they can't clear a cosmic path or are they really comfortable with where they are? Such protracted periods of limbo leave the mind to wander aimlessly and without purpose, one flounders. Is this where YES is? Floundering on the beaches of the uncreative? Steve can continue to release solo efforts until the cows come home but it will still just be cowpatties until they once again converge for a musical endeavor. I say get it together boys and forget the current musical climate and do what you do best....create and break ground!! Lord knows the stagnancy we are subjected to via the radio waves yearns for more YES to give it the color it so deserves. C'mon guys, yeah or nay. Your fanbase believes in you and needs you to guide us down that exploratory path once more.

What say you?
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

A new band

Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:21 am

Agree.

Tsongas was ok, but more of the same songs?!

I don't think they should release another dvd doing the same old tunes, often water-down versions of past glory. How many versions of YIND do I have now on video?

They've in some ways become a bit like a Vegas lounge act.

Will Steve just turn up his guitar?

What they could do: A new concept album, in the spirit of the old days, but reaching for new sounds and patterns. Possibly about the coming "WWIII".....some more not-too-heavily-veiled political comments in the lyrics.....or perhaps delving into the new alien-human hybrids we will have to confront around 2012.....

There's always hope for the younger generation, who could do something creative, form a new type of prog rock band...
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Roan's Lady

Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:22 pm

Cowpatties - lol, N2.

I stopped buying Yes compilations years ago. I only own four versions of "And You and I", and only two on DVD. Can you believe it? :rolleyes:
Re-re-re and rereleases of the same material, whether in audio or video form simply tied up with a different colored bow leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as its purpose is clearly only to capitalize on their previous successes. This of course gives me nothing new, and as a pervasive business practice of theirs, borders on insulting. Enough already. Perhaps I'm not a die-hard, who'll just toss their money toward whatever Yes throws their way, morsels as they are.
It's been almost five years since Magnification was released. There are no signs that they are either currently working together on new material or have plans to do so. If this writing on the wall isn't legible, I don't know what is.
Much as I would love Yes to regroup and wow us with something phenomenal, I don't see it happening. Inside them as individuals, there may exist a creative spark or two. They just don't seem to be terribly interested in each other as a group, which is unfortunate.

hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:34 pm

I've started playing them backwards......and faster... ;)
Sounds like Dream Theater with Alvin The Chipmunk singing lead... :rolleyes:

Cow Patties? meaning......
Sh*t or G*t Off The C*n..... :rolleyes:
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

Relayer
Starship Trooper

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:17 am

It has been quite a while since the current line-up has been together for the sake of creating some thing new, perhaps it was just my wishfull thinking that
anything would come of the last few tours, for one I thought that the momentum would have carried the band right back into the studio, guess not.
At the moment it looks like the best chance for any future Yes is indeed in the rear view mirror, if the band reads this, please prove me wrong, I don't think anyone would mind.

shedend
Veteran Member

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:12 pm

[quote="tribute1969"]I've started playing them backwards......and faster... ]

Nearly fell off my chair laughing at the thought. It would be good to see some new stuff from the band. It's a shame that all we seem to see on Yesworld is this cancelled that cancelled. :mad: Lets hope there is one last epic in them and that they have the good health and energy to do another world tour (with orchestra because I thought the Mag tour was one of the best I have seen)

My daughters just finished watching the film school of rock and she said that the character played by Jet Black gave the keyboard player a copy of Fragile to listen to and said that this will blow away your classics! [:yes]

Dave
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
[CENTER]YES TOR [/CENTER]
[CENTER]"Yes Tor is situated two-and-a-half miles from Okehampton, Devon in England. On a clear day, from the top, you can see far away places with strange sounding names." [/CENTER]

coalescestudionyc
Veteran Member

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:39 am

shedend wrote:Nearly fell off my chair laughing at the thought. It would be good to see some new stuff from the band. It's a shame that all we seem to see on Yesworld is this cancelled that cancelled. :mad: Lets hope there is one last epic in them and that they have the good health and energy to do another world tour (with orchestra because I thought the Mag tour was one of the best I have seen)

My daughters just finished watching the film school of rock and she said that the character played by Jet Black gave the keyboard player a copy of Fragile to listen to and said that this will blow away your classics! [:yes]

Dave
Jet Black? Did Jet Li and Jack Black have a child together?

Michael

happytheman
Charter Member

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:14 am

Relayer wrote:It has been quite a while since the current line-up has been together for the sake of creating some thing new, perhaps it was just my wishfull thinking that
anything would come of the last few tours, for one I thought that the momentum would have carried the band right back into the studio, guess not.
At the moment it looks like the best chance for any future Yes is indeed in the rear view mirror, if the band reads this, please prove me wrong, I don't think anyone would mind.
I guess asking for another "Close to the Edge" tour where they spent "hours by candlelight" writing the guts of Tales was too much to expect during the Mag tour or the 35th anniversary tour. Yes is simply too lazy to spend the amount of time it would take to "spark" another classic. It is too convient for Jon or Steve to have 100% control in writing their own material and then releasing it. The idea of everyone sitting together in a room writing (when did that last happen? during the Ladder sessions? how long ago was that? 1998?)does not seam possible at this point. But like you Relayer it would be fine by me if they were to surprise me

Roan's Lady

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:20 pm

happytheman wrote: Yes is simply too lazy to spend the amount of time it would take to "spark" another classic.
Don't know that they are "lazy". I believe that they are quite a bit far apart geographically, and furthermore, they don't seem to have the INTEREST in collaborating.
And furthermore...they, well...may not have it IN them to write another "classic".
~moon safari

coalescestudionyc
Veteran Member

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:59 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:Don't know that they are "lazy". I believe that they are quite a bit far apart geographically, and furthermore, they don't seem to have the INTEREST in collaborating.
And furthermore...they, well...may not have it IN them to write another "classic".
That's a depressing--but seemingly accurate--assessment. Unfortunately, they've done nothing together to dispel that impression. Hopefully, they'll get together and make their own White Album and shut us all up.

But it's not looking like that's happening any time soon.

Michael

happytheman
Charter Member

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:40 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:Don't know that they are "lazy". I believe that they are quite a bit far apart geographically, and furthermore, they don't seem to have the INTEREST in collaborating.
I guess what I mean by "lazy" is they simply don't have the "energy" to hammer out a song. The song writing that came about through the Fragile Close to the Edge years was nothing short of amazing. But there was a lot of energy in the room. Everybody contributing to the total package. Some of Yes's recent output has simply been Jon's song brought in and "added to" or Steve's song brought in and added to. guess had Steve, Alan, Chris and Geoff had pulled off the "More Drama" tour there could have been a chance for something. But even that fell through. At least you had good musicians who had not worked together for a number of years, playing songs that have not had the chance to be "overplayed" Tempus Fugit, and Machine Messiah still sound fresh to this day!

Seryn
Charter Member

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:33 am

I'm unbelievably defensive of the members of Yes - some would call me neurotic. I revere them like people in the east do people as they get older - I just think they get sharper and wiser. Physically, limitations may slow them down. Howe seems more subdued on the guitar, but then again, when you see him behind the scenes, he's really quite different and full of spirit. Maybe he's just sick of the crowd? :confused: Alan White...he's still the same. Look at him in Yessongs, look at him in Tsongas...he's smiling and beating the drums to death. Squire seems to be having more fun than ever. Anderson...definitely has discovered himself and is happy with what he's found, if one can tell anything by the way he acts. Wakeman...less pompous, but still hot.

So, I guess I'm saying...they still have it in them. Magnification was a challenge for them, I think, because working with a 45 person symphony was taxing! But think about The Ladder. Maybe you'll disagree with me, but I think Homeworld/The Ladder and several of the songs on that album recalled Tales and Fragile. Howe was unleashed. And its not too late for that to happen again. Bruce Fairburn might not be there to mentor the group, but other inspirations come about. I thought after Open Your Eyes that nothing good would ever come again (sorry if you like the album, I think its ok, but it was not the epitomy of Yes)...yet, hail The Ladder. So, if you ask me, its just a matter of how "soon, oh soon the light" comes.
Seryn [:idr]
"Like leaves we touch" -Yes
"When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius. Lift up thy head!" -Blake
"Sound the Flute! Now its mute!" Blake/adapted to music by members of Yes

Roan's Lady

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:43 am

Serynn wrote:I'm unbelievably defensive of the members of Yes - some would call me neurotic. I revere them like people in the east do people as they get older - I just think they get sharper and wiser. Physically, limitations may slow them down. Howe seems more subdued on the guitar, but then again, when you see him behind the scenes, he's really quite different and full of spirit. Maybe he's just sick of the crowd? :confused: Alan White...he's still the same. Look at him in Yessongs, look at him in Tsongas...he's smiling and beating the drums to death. Squire seems to be having more fun than ever. Anderson...definitely has discovered himself and is happy with what he's found, if one can tell anything by the way he acts. Wakeman...less pompous, but still hot.

So, I guess I'm saying...they still have it in them. Magnification was a challenge for them, I think, because working with a 45 person symphony was taxing! But think about The Ladder. Maybe you'll disagree with me, but I think Homeworld/The Ladder and several of the songs on that album recalled Tales and Fragile. Howe was unleashed. And its not too late for that to happen again. Bruce Fairburn might not be there to mentor the group, but other inspirations come about. I thought after Open Your Eyes that nothing good would ever come again (sorry if you like the album, I think its ok, but it was not the epitomy of Yes)...yet, hail The Ladder. So, if you ask me, its just a matter of how "soon, oh soon the light" comes.

Would that it come soon, oh soon...

Hi, Serynn, nice to see you, I remember reading you ages ago, before I joined here, in this site's infancy. You truly are an original. Welcome back - hope you stay awhile. :)

~moon safari

Relayer
Starship Trooper

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:06 pm

Self expression wise, I think Yes at were at thier groundbreaking best with Bill Bruford behind the drums which led to irreconcilable differences, from a commercial success stance I think Yes were at the top of thier commercial success with Trevor Rabin, which also led to irreconcilable differences, I find this ironic.

Seryn
Charter Member

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:25 pm

Relayer wrote:Self expression wise, I think Yes at were at thier groundbreaking best with Bill Bruford behind the drums which led to irreconcilable differences, from a commercial success stance I think Yes were at the top of thier commercial success with Trevor Rabin, which also led to irreconcilable differences, I find this ironic.

Bill Bruford...aey , I think he's fantastic, but his style, had he stayed with Yes, probably would have limited the band. Unless I'm wrong...but he seems to stick into the the jazz percussion a lot. But White seems loose enough with his style to allow the many different things that have been produced by the band.

Commerical success...will that ever come again? I mean, I don't even hope for that because it seems so unimportant with Yes. I mean, the best art, unfortunately and criminally, is usually discovered after the artist is capable of appreciating it anymore, ya know?! Yes may stand with Mozart one day, but I don't think they should worry about commercial success right now]
"When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius. Lift up thy head!" -Blake

happytheman
Charter Member

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am

Serynn wrote:Bill Bruford...aey , I think he's fantastic, but his style, had he stayed with Yes, probably would have limited the band. Unless I'm wrong...but he seems to stick into the the jazz percussion a lot. [|)]
With all due respect to Mr. White, (I too agree that in the long run Alan was an excellent choice for Yes) but let's look at what Bruford did after leaving Yes for "greener pastures". Larks' Tonguess in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, USA (Live Album) and Red. I would argue that Bill hardly "limited" King Crimson. If anything he was a catalyst to help further King Crimson not only artistically but commercially as well. What "might" have happend had Bill hung out for the "candlelight sessions" for Tales is anyones guess. But I would contend that if he couldn't see himself "sloughing around the world" playing the Close to the Edge material he would be he would have been bored to tears with the Tales sessions!

jackaranda
Veteran Member

They'll be back

Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:47 am

Yes will return in 2007 in some capacity, I believe. What I would hope for is a sort of Union type tour and a new release to compliment that. Whether or not that happens.......who knows?
~ So if you choose to realize
All existence is a dream
This perfect resume to you from me ~

Jack [}:)]

Seryn
Charter Member

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:59 am

happytheman wrote:With all due respect to Mr. White, (I too agree that in the long run Alan was an excellent choice for Yes) but let's look at what Bruford did after leaving Yes for "greener pastures". Larks' Tonguess in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, USA (Live Album) and Red. I would argue that Bill hardly "limited" King Crimson. If anything he was a catalyst to help further King Crimson not only artistically but commercially as well. What "might" have happend had Bill hung out for the "candlelight sessions" for Tales is anyones guess. But I would contend that if he couldn't see himself "sloughing around the world" playing the Close to the Edge material he would be he would have been bored to tears with the Tales sessions!

King Crimson is not a band that I have gotten to listen to enough to judge Bruford through that. Now you've gotten my curiousity piqued. Yay, something to download!

2007!!!!

longwalker90125

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:07 pm

i just have to believe that their differences are not irreconciliable, that they will bridge the distances between them, that they do indeed have the creative spark within them, that they will write again and tour again. i just have to believe it. to not believe it? that would be too much to bear... though it would be tolerable, maybe, if we replay each album judiciously, savoring each moment of glory... and if we yesfans could somehow get together more often to celebrate their vision... but i just have to believe!
Make me believe again...

Roan's Lady

Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:52 am

longwalker90125 wrote:i just have to believe that their differences are not irreconciliable, that they will bridge the distances between them, that they do indeed have the creative spark within them, that they will write again and tour again. i just have to believe it. to not believe it? that would be too much to bear... though it would be tolerable, maybe, if we replay each album judiciously, savoring each moment of glory... and if we yesfans could somehow get together more often to celebrate their vision... but i just have to believe!

He is here! :)
~moon safari

Genevive

Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:06 am

I guess there are probably several reasons why we haven't seen a new album in a few years. If we do get another one, I hope Jon lays off the touchy-feely lyrics. Those get a bit tiresome to me when they dominate an album, and I felt they did on Magnification. I like Mag, but I skip over more tracks than I listen to.

It seems like they guys are happy right now doing their own thing. I plan on seeing Howe solo this month, and I'm really looking forward to it. As much as I have seen Yes tour these past few years, it will be nice to see them on a singular basis again. They get to express themselves in ways they don't get to when touring together.

I don't know if we'll get another Yes album, but if nothing else, I'm sure we'd get a farewell tour... and maybe they would mix up the setlist for that one.

Roan's Lady

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:07 am

Genevive wrote:I guess there are probably several reasons why we haven't seen a new album in a few years. If we do get another one, I hope Jon lays off the touchy-feely lyrics. Those get a bit tiresome to me when they dominate an album, and I felt they did on Magnification. I like Mag, but I skip over more tracks than I listen to.

It seems like they guys are happy right now doing their own thing. I plan on seeing Howe solo this month, and I'm really looking forward to it. As much as I have seen Yes tour these past few years, it will be nice to see them on a singular basis again. They get to express themselves in ways they don't get to when touring together.

I don't know if we'll get another Yes album, but if nothing else, I'm sure we'd get a farewell tour... and maybe they would mix up the setlist for that one.
Hear hear! And I hope we get that farewell tour.
Gen, are you the Gen from AGP?

~moon safari

Genevive

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:09 am

Hi Roan! Yep, I be the same. I registered here a long time ago, and wanted to visit again to see what's going on!

Roan's Lady

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:28 am

Genevive wrote:Hi Roan! Yep, I be the same. I registered here a long time ago, and wanted to visit again to see what's going on!

Well it's very nice to see you here, Gen, welcome again! Hope you enjoy what's going on and come back and visit more often. :)

~moon safari

bondegezou

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:28 pm

Genevive wrote:It seems like they guys are happy right now doing their own thing. I plan on seeing Howe solo this month, and I'm really looking forward to it. As much as I have seen Yes tour these past few years, it will be nice to see them on a singular basis again. They get to express themselves in ways they don't get to when touring together.
I think the guys are doing their own thing at the moment because Anderson made it clear that he didn't want to do Yes in 2006. The others all seem to have been keen to re-group this year.

Henry

bondegezou

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:29 pm

N2yes wrote:Yes, we know how old the 'boys' are and how hard they tour, but jesus crisp, what is this inability to get off the ground when you're already established and certainly have the connections necessary to do so...or do they? Are Chris and Jon still at musical odds
I think Chris and Jon are still at odds, but I don't think they're just about the music!

Henry

Smatt

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:07 pm

bondegezou wrote:I think Chris and Jon are still at odds, but I don't think they're just about the music!

Henry

It seems a bit mroe than that Henry.... There are many issues surrounding things as usual. it simply can't bbe taken as simply personal, musical, or business realated. I also don't think it's stricly between any 2 members either. It always seems to be prtrayed that way though.. But it simply isn't the case.

Yes, will come back togther when and if they really want to.....
Signed,

"Dreamer easy in the chair that really fits you"

Matt

yes_angel
Veteran Member

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:13 pm

:confused:
bondegezou wrote:I think Chris and Jon are still at odds, but I don't think they're just about the music!

Henry
:confused: I often wonder that,,,,,,,a wait and see game

tardistraveler

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:24 pm

I remember Chris and Jon shaking hands and smiling towards the end of the 2004 Chicago show (5/5? - Smatt YOU were there) . . . I was hoping it was genuine and not just for show . . .

I'm sure that whenever people are so close together - music-making, touring - it's bound to take its toll on the relationships. I hope they can all appreciate the good things about each other and come back together at some point.