Your First Time!

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

frankh
Veteran Member

Look at this thread!Just look at it!!

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:36 am

You're all wonderful people!

lol

Ah, but you are!

There was a great local college radio station(still is really, but it's no longer anywhere near as "great"...)that played the durnedest things at all hours, every hour of every day...

...and I was hearing portions of Yessongs on it and being wowed fairly regularly without even knowing who's music I was hearing...

(This really is true!)

Both the live and the studio Yours Is No Disgrace came to my ears before I could ascribe the name of the artist or artists to it.At that time(as now)I had a mental list of music I needed to explore further, and the people behind this music were foremost there.

Starship Trooper, too.I know the Wurm segment from Yessongs impacted me before I knew who Yes were.

This was one approach the band made toward me.The other was of course top 40 radio.In 1971, being the budding anal retentive obsessive compulsive that I was(now fullblown), I kept track of the top 10 list a nearby AM radio station provided every Friday night, and recorded these on paper for the full year.

Your Move peaked at #4.A not unpleasant little ditty, but did I make the connection between that and this other music a couple of years later on FM radio?

Not until in the spring of 1973 when I purchased The Yes Album.Agree entirely with the person who proclaimed that this is perhaps the finest introduction to Yes music that exists.People have mentioned what they consider to be the band's "mission statement", and my personal feeling is that this is it.The Yes Album.Still a favorite.

In 2000 Jon introduced Starship Trooper with a recitation:

"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember

The setting up of other roads, to travel on in old accustomed ways.

I still remember the talks by the water

the proud sons and daughters who knew the knowledge of the land,

and spoke to me in sweet accustomed ways."

An old familiar tingle went up and down my spine as I recalled those days when I first heard these words, and the associated music.That Steve Howe guitar line shimmering.

Nothing has ever more pleasantly startled me than when I first spun The Yes Album and discovered that THESE were the guys who were behind the song Yours Is No Disgrace; when I first discovered the entirety and the enormity of Starship Trooper, when I first heard I've Seen All Good People/a.Your Move b.All Good People in association with this other music, when I first heard (The)Clap(later played The Clap and Mood For A Day for my dad who swore it was two guitarists.I quit trying to persuade him he was wrong in the interest of avoiding argument), when I first heard A Venture, and the piece de resistance, Perpetual Change, which I had NEVER heard before...

Stunned.

Altered person.

And at the record store, there was more of this music...

(I had owned Fragile due to Roundabout...and the dimly hinted at other material on the album a full six months before, but an inadequate exploration had been conducted, a condition which was about to be remedied.I can distinctly remember hearing, get this, these days are now long, long, LONG gone!South Side Of The Sky on AM radio sometime late in 1972...I was at a high school basketball game and up high in the bleachers with a transistor radio upon which I'm virtually certain was no FM dial)

...there was this green colored album, this oddly evocative bubble quality to the words upon the textured cover...

And.

When Close To The Edge came home with me two weeks later there in the spring of 1973, which was not coincidentally a beautiful spring, the fait accompli was complete.

There would be much Yesmusic in and around my vicinity for decades and decades to come.For months I listened to very little else, I had to digest the complexities and the nuances of these three albums down to the most minute detail.I had to memorize every instrumental line, every vocal and harmony, every single wonderfully colorful yet obtuse word of lyric.

And still there was more music from these people at the record store.Would you just look at this big, brown album!Three volumes!Look at the songs on it, it's got EVERYthing in there!

(And I had so seriously doubted that this band could pull this material off live)

Had to have Yessongs, too.Don't ask me what happened to my original vinyl Yessongs, it met an evil fate...

Or, actually you can ask me, lol - it's an amusing story, if a touch unsavory, for we were all doing what so many have accused us of doing in the 70's...

By the very end of the year, rumor had circulated that the band were breaking up, the uniquely talented drummer Bill Bruford having departed for more intellectually satisfying pastures with Robert Fripp in a recently reformed and soon to be more monstrous than ever Regal Red...

...and in what would not be the last such surprise(Yes themselves again a year or so later, again after a rumored breakup:Wakeman leaves, Yes is done, then suddenly Relayer appears on the shelves, Genesis all done after Peter Gabriel departs, then A Trick Of The Tail impacts), against all odds, the lovely deep last light of day sunset blue(or was it first light of day sunrise?)of Tales From Topographic Oceans would arrive before that year was out...

1973 was a most magical year.One which would forever change my listening habits, the way I viewed what was possible within the structures of music, what was possible...

Early in 1974 the entire family went down to Madison Square Garden to see Ringling Brothers/Barnum & Bailey Circus.My mother worked at the time for the County Sheriff's office.No insignificant traverse to The City for us, we get all the way there, right up to the box office at MSG before my mom discovers that she hadn't brought the tickets along(according to my father, this was IF she ever had them at all in the first place).So she's flashing her badge at various law enforcement personnel/security telling them, "I'm a Deputy Sherriff!"

Dad, horrified.

Yet, we got to see the circus after all.And upon departing, fate decreed that I would see the marquee advertising:

"Yes- Feb. 18/19"

I had never begged my parents for anything in my life.

Until that day.

This was the beginning of a beautiful relationship...

SoUtHsIdEoFtHeSkY
Veteran Member

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:33 pm

my mom bought me Hilights the very best of YES. I had asked her what roundabout sounded like because I herd someone talking about it, and she gave me the cd and said find out for yourself. I listened to it and found out that YES is the most amazing band ever. I have loved them ever since that day, and could not imagin a day without YES in it.
TBS-BH MURPHY'S LAW SP08 #1 "Maverick"
"Were we ever colder on that day a million miles away
It seemed from all of eternity" [}:)]

I <3 My Big Bro Andrew & My Big Sis Erin more than they will ever know!!!!!!:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jimj1s

Winter 1972

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:58 pm

My neighbor told me to "listen to these guys - it's real cool" and I had to use headphones. I was 14. The album was Fragile, and he wanted me to listen to a few seconds - I wouldn't take them off for the whole album. He gave it to me for Christmas along with Jethro Tull Passion Play, and I wore those two LPs out over the next year. I was solidly hooked on Yes. I tried to tell my "no nothing" older brother about it and he said "oh yeah - they have that hot keyboardist Rick Wakeman" - so he already knew!
There is nothing in the world like being hooked on YES music. It has been 34 years. I can't believe it! We have been so blessed.
For some reason, you're questioning why I always believe it gets better...
One difference between you & I: your heart is inside your head... - YES

movedfast

WHEN TO PLAY YES

Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:39 pm

Interesting, that line about saving Yes for special occassions. Over the years I've made about 30 compilation tapes of random music for the car. Anything and everything went on. But I wouldn't include any Yes because it was too "sacred" to listen to in the car. Must have the cans on at home and give it my full attention.
Now, I think I was wrong. Also, having a demanding job and being a husband and parent to young children means I don't have time to listen to albums all the way through uninterrupted ! And having a car with a CD means I can listen to just about any Yes album in the car at any time. I've been playing "Talk" all week and may carry on next week. Having been a grumpy old trooper, I got into The Rabin stuff late on. What a great album it is....
For you, and you and you..

frankh
Veteran Member

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:26 pm

There it is again, the "grumpy old trooper" line...

Even we alleged hardcore fans are still in the process of discovery...a decades long study, a lifetime's worth...

Which other band can boast of this?

And then the band themselves can, do and have come amongst us, dust off some old nugget and make it seem like new, like it was the first time you ever heard it, or the first time you ever "really" heard it...

I love this so much about Yes.

YesJodi
Veteran Member

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:32 am

I like the part about the "crafty cigarette" in the original post!

The first time I heard Yes was at the concert in 1977, or 1978, can't remember now. I was awestruck and hooked for life.

Ash

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:00 pm

Hi all,
Way back in the distant past, at Christmas 1972 to be precise, I received the 3-volume Lord of the Rings as my 'main' present, and my kid brother got the Narnia books in a box-set. By the end of January I'd read my present and started on his!
The third book in the Narnia series is The Voyage of the Dawn-Treader. At the end one of the heroes, Reepicheep the valiant mouse, sails off in his boat to the edge of the world, and is last seen for a moment at the crest of a waterfall before disappearing over the edge.

I was 13 at the time. I'd been listening to music for a couple of years by then, all Top 40 stuff, glam-rock mostly; I was a big T.Rex fan. I'd heard of Yes, some of my school friends were into them, but I'd never actually heard any of their music; they didn't make it onto Wonderful Radio 1 or Fabulous 208's daytime playlists.

In July of '73 my 14th birthday came along and I was given some money, enough to buy a record. Off I went one Saturday to a near-by town called Hinckley in the English Midlands to a now-long-defunct record shop called Russells.
It was like an Aladdin's cave; the front of the shop sold musical instruments and sheet music and in a little room down a dingy corridor was the record department. No windows, a low ceiling and racks and racks of albums, all in protective plastic covers. I browsed through the T.Rex stuff but I had all of those. Moving on throught the alphabet I came to 'Y'. At the front of the rack was an dark green album cover with what I recognised as the 'Yes Logo' on it and some weird lettering I couldn't make out at first. Taking the cover out of the plastic sleeve I opened it up, and to my astonished delight saw the scene I'd imagined from the end of Voyage of the Dawn-Treader! An endless waterfall cascading down from a plateau. Love at first sight!

That was the album I bought that day for the sum of £2.14. I played it repeatedly. The family record player had an autochanger fitted; if you left the arm up whatever was on the turntable played repeatedly. That was what happened with Close to the Edge. For months.
I used to take the album up to me bedroom at night, and open up the cover and prop it up on my dressing table so I could see it from my bed.

By this time Yessongs had been released and Topographic Oceans was on the horizon. Yessongs, being a triple album was a little too expensive for me at the time; I didn't buy that until the following year. I heard Topographic Oceans live before I heard the album: November 26th 1973 DeMontfort Hall, Leicester. The whole of Close to the Edge, then the whole of Topographic Oceans. An unbelievable experience! I have an audience recording of the next concert on the tour, at Sheffield. It was a magical time for music, in every way. A good time to be a teenager! We were all so much younger then!

All best wishes,
Ash
War Music, Peace Music, Love Music,
We move to it all..........

john mccleary
Veteran Member

Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:20 am

My older brother pulled his Rick out I listened to the Yes album I was 10. :)

PhillYes

Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:41 am

I had heard Yes as early as "Time and a Word"; I can remember hearing that song on the radio. I can remember later hearing "Your Move" and wondering about the band. The singer--boy or girl? But "Fragile" was the one that hooked me. Not "Roundabout"--but "Long Distance Runaround", was when I first became a fanatic. The way Steve and Rick doubled their lines, and the way Chris and Bill swung with it--plus Jon sailing away on top! Yeah.....[} :) ]

IGSXIII

Tue May 15, 2007 7:27 am

Hello,
I'm relatively new on these forums, so I figure this thread is a good place to jump right in. The first time I ever heard Yes was when I was a young teen (late 1990s). My father used to play their albums non stop on the stereo in his office. I never though much of the band, but in those days my taste in music was much less sophisticated than it is these days. I remember I had a couple of private guitar teachers back then who would pass my dad's stereo by and share their fond opinions of the band, but I never seemed to understand it. One day my father brought in Roundabout because he wanted me to figure out the intro. I think this sort of allowed me to 'lower my defenses' toward the group. Soon thereafter I took a liking to the Drama album, then the live albums Keys to Ascension and of course my favorite Yessongs. From there I got to enjoy discovering their entire catalog. So I guess the first time I heard them, I didn't think much of the group, but they quickly found a really large spot in my heart. Since then I have also seen them 6 times in concert live :) Wooha!

john mccleary
Veteran Member

Re: Your First Time!

Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:09 pm

I was 12.My older brother had a Rick.First heard Close to the Edge then the Yes album.Saw Going for the one tour soon after that. [:yes]

Coffee_&_Cigarettes
Veteran Member

Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:38 pm

It was May or April of 1999 when i bought "The Yes Album".I used to go to this Vinyl/Cd Store and the owner was a major Prog-rock fan, every thing i learned about 70´s rock is because of him.In the 70´s he used to be a Roadie for local rock bands and he´s a little bit crazy but cool.
One day i was in his store searching for something new to listen, he comes up to me and says:
- "Here, take it, don´t ask me why, just go home put your headphones, turn out the lights and enjoy the ride!"

"I´ve seen All Good People" Changed me...i know it sounds corny, but it´s the truth.
I Belive in the spiritual or transcendental power that music has on people.
It´s like being in love, no one needs to tell you that you´re in love, you just feel it in your soul.
[:yes] was something like that.
I felt a connection of mind, body and soul to that music, iven though i was into other rock bands, Yes seemed to provide me answers instead of questions and it didn´t require for you to dress in some way or to talk some slang or that kind of stuff teenagers do just to fit in.
Their music is infinite, breaks all barriers and makes you feel good with yourself and with everything.

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:57 pm

Yeah I had to go back through this thread and make sure I didn't allready answer it.
I was aware of Yes
from the Radio
All Good People,roundabout,Long Distance Runaround,Starship Trooper
and maybe a couple of others
I allready liked Yes before I really Got into them .
I had thought about getting Fragile a few times but never did when I was a kid..
My Brother was in Germany And he was Engaged to this Woman From England.
He came Back from Germany and she was supposed to follow.
after a few months
she called and said she wasn't coming.
so
My Brother went through his Albums and Picked out all of her albums that he didn't like and offered them to me.
(She Had Great Taste)
Among These ELP and Jethro Tull Other Popular Prog Bands of the Time
so I had the Records for awhile
My Brother Said "Oh Yes...I hate Yes..."
I said I''l Take It I like the songs from the Radio"
He Gave Me Yessongs and Close To The Edge and Yesterdays
I was Spellbound
I speant the next Year Listening To those 3 albums
and still enjoying the music Being Played on the radio
I was Drawing the Roger Dean Stuff al the time
and was Lost In Close to The Edge
It was magical
this would have been like 77-78-79
then "Tempus Fugit" was being shown on Video
on like The Midnight special and old shows like that on Late night TV
once I hit High School 90125 was released and YES was Huge all over again.
I had a buddy that had a ROOM full of records
and knowing that I was acollector
and a Yes Fan
He Gave Me Going For The One Topographic Oceans and Tormato
I was completely Blown Away By Awaken and The Revealing Science Of God
and I still Am
after having Heard Those Albums I finnaly bought Fragile and The Yes album
and then Big Generator Came Out and Songs like Final Eyes and Holy Lamb
and I'm Running
were Played
In between I had a chance to see 90125 live and 9012live
my interest in Yes Peaked when Union came out
I loved it
and I saw the show several times
then ABWH
I have loved Practically Everything Yes From The Day I played Close To The Edge
and there has been no period where I ever Doubted the ability and Prescence Of this band
I have learned my musical
and Life Philosiphy From them(not exclusively)
and it is GOOD

tardistraveler

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:56 pm

Greenglade's Frog wrote:The view of Catalina Island, 26 miles off the Calif. coast, was the "mountains come out of the sky, and they stand there."
My son used to think they were saying "MULLETS come out of the sky . . . " :jestera:

tardistraveler

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:58 pm

DocFederfeld wrote:And Tony Kaye played the keyboards during the famous "Thin White Duke"-Tour of Bowie in the mid 70's.
Ooh - I SAW that tour! :D

I was thrilled when I learned it was Tony Kaye on the keys!

tardistraveler

Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:33 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Let's see, my first time was in 1971 . . .

Oh, you mean my first YES show! lol

My first Yes show was quite by accident in August, 1972 - same tour as Nolan's but in Memphis - we went there becaue another concert HERE was cancelled, so a friend suggested the road trip, and there we were.

I was totally mesmerized, and fell in love for life! :D

I reread this thread today, and my description here could stand some elaboration . . .

I knew absolutely nothing of Yes until the summer of 1972, when Roundabout was released, and it got some airplay. I liked it, but didn't rush out and buy an album or anything.

My live show saga actually began in June of 72. We had tix to see the Allman Brothers at an outdoor arena, it began pouring rain, and the concert was postponed until the following week.

Concert junkies that we were, we were all looking for some other entertainment for the evening, when someone piped up "Yes is playing Memphis".

Yes? Oh yeah, that band that plays Roundabout . . .

Desperate for a concert fix, we all jumped into the car and drove like a bat out of Hell for Memphis - about 4 hours away. We pulled into the parking lot of Mid-South Coliseum right on the money, only to find . . .

. . . the parking lot was empty.

Checking with the ticket office . . . you guessed it . . . THIS show had also been postponed . . . I came to know later that it was because Bill had left the group, and they were hiring a new drummer . . . ;)

But in our state of mind at the time, we all decided that since we had come ALL this way to see the Yes show, then by God, we were going to SEE the Yes show! Even if it meant returning in August!

So, we bought tickets to the rescheduled show, and retired to Fridays at Overton Square to drown our sorrows in frozen daiquiris . . . ;)

Fast forward to August . . . we head down to the show AGAIN. Getting inside, I learn that none other than Alan White is the new drummer! HOW many times had I listened to "Live Peace in Toronto"! And now I would get to hear him LIVE! Way cool!

And I've still only heard Roundabout on the radio . . .

The opening act was The Eagles, back in their "Peaceful Easy Feeling" days . . . lol . . . a total mismatch . . . I had seen them open for Procol Harum earlier in the summer and although I liked their songs well enough on the radio, they exuded an arrogance on stage that really put me off. This performance was similar, and I was not impressed.

Then Yes took the stage, and nothing in this universe could have prepared me for what I experienced, and words can't possibly convey what I felt at that show, but I'll try . . .

Absolutely freaking mind-blowing . . . amazing . . .

Two things really stood out for me at the show . . .

One was the complexity of the music. You had all these guys playing all these amazing contrapuntal things all at the SAME TIME! I felt like it was a storm on stage . . . winds rushing this way and that, but all with a harmony amid the chaos. Jon was at the center, and seemed to command the storm, with perfect calm . . . the light show was incredible and enhanced the effect . . . you could tell that every one of these guys were total professionals and ranked among the greatest musicians ever, and they played, and played, each song more amazing than the next!

The other was their stage presence. In contrast to the Eagles, there was no arrogance at all. They seemed incredulous at the adulation they were receiving by the crowd. Jon's simple "Thank you" seemed heartfelt and sincere. You felt that they were just totally enjoying making the music, and loving that the crowd was enjoying it as well . . . there was a feedback between crowd and performer that magnified as the night went on . . .

At the end of the show I knew I had witnessed the epitome of all concerts, and that no other performers would ever touch me in the same way. It was a spiritual epiphany of sorts, and I knew I HAD to see them again!!!

Little did I know then that I'd still be able to see them all these many years later . . . :)

Returning to Nashville, it was a mad scramble to find every Yes album I could lay my hands on, but as wonderful as the studio versions were, nothing could compare with that LIVE experience I had just witnessed!

Then came Yessongs, and I played the heck out of it . . . would be one of my "desert island" discs (or two - lol) for sure!

Since then, Yes has always been a "must see" band, no matter what the lineup, the magic has always been there for me, and always will be.

Thank you Yes, for giving me this experience "all those many years ago"!

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Around '71 , I heard 'Roundabout while speeding on a dry sunbaked road , sunny day, overlooking the Pacific and Catalina Island. My sister was at the wheel and her hot kooky Polish-blood girlfriend was in the car.

We were ripping along in the Ford station wagon, towards the supermarket I think. Music was cool. Wind in our hair.

Then my friend went to the Tormato tour and came back raving about it and made a cassette copy of Yessongs for me.

I listened to it on headphones every day. I thought it was totally different and other-worldly...[} :) ]
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]