Seven Ages Of Rock

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Seven Ages Of Rock

Mon May 28, 2007 9:05 pm

BBC program . . . A definitive landmark series.

[INDENT]http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/
[/INDENT]
Now, don't get me wrong, they can't mention all the bands and not everyone thinks Yes are as important as we do. But is it really the case that in their episode 2 they can lay the credit for "art rock" on Pink Floyd, the Velvet Underground. David Bowie, Roxy Music, and a bit of Genesis without even a mention of Yes? Seems strange to me.

Who wants a pound or dollar on their next edition of the program about punk starting with something like "Fed up of dinosaur rockers like Yes . . . "

:mad:

Overall this is worth watching I think but the BBC really have inferred that whole genres consisted of about three bands!

Dr_Yes

Tue May 29, 2007 9:11 am

fragilesi wrote:BBC program . . . A definitive landmark series.

[INDENT]http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/
[/INDENT]
Now, don't get me wrong, they can't mention all the bands and not everyone thinks Yes are as important as we do. But is it really the case that in their episode 2 they can lay the credit for "art rock" on Pink Floyd, the Velvet Underground. David Bowie, Roxy Music, and a bit of Genesis without even a mention of Yes? Seems strange to me.

Who wants a pound or dollar on their next edition of the program about punk starting with something like "Fed up of dinosaur rockers like Yes . . . "

:mad:

Overall this is worth watching I think but the BBC really have inferred that whole genres consisted of about three bands!

Hi Simon.

I feel your pain.

But let's face it: any documentary with that tw@t Charles Shaar Murray involved isn't going to be worth getting upset about. He's a mouthpiece for the NME and has always had the same axe to grind.

The BBC is a bunch of muppets who don't know anything. They go to people like Murray coz they don't know any better. He's the sort of tosser who you'd expect to be running the so-called Hall of Fame.

Don't let it bother you old boy.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

stinky britches

Tue May 29, 2007 5:34 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:The BBC is a bunch of muppets who don't know anything. They go to people like Murray coz they don't know any better
BBC TV gave up on contemporary music the day they foolishly appointed Janet Street-Porter as head of Yoof TV. The first thing she did was axe almost every live music show the BBC had (In Concert, Late Night In Concert, Sight & Sound, Rock Goes To College, The Old Grey Whistle Test, etc). What did these shows have in common? They all covered a wide spectrum of music, including prog.

The BBC's music output has never recovered from the short-term and short-sighted decisions Street-Porter took :mad:

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Tue May 29, 2007 7:52 pm

And you'd think the BBC'd be able to get it's act together....they avoided Yes because they are too pacifist
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Wed May 30, 2007 12:22 pm

Yes, I guess it was too much to expect much from them. Don't get me wrong the program is a decent enough watch and it was interesting to me to see some of the other issues they covered.

Just disappointing that they tend to give the impression that so few bands were doing this kind of stuff and adding theatre to the shows.

PS Greenglade, can we see the CD version of that picture please? :p

Chris2210

Wed May 30, 2007 1:29 pm

I agree that Charles Shaar Murray is a typical music journalist: More concerned with trend than music. He does concede that he made a total tit of himself with his damning assessment of Bowie's <i>Low</> album. But he'll cheerfully swerve having genuine opinions of his own as long as they don't look bad against the herd...

I'm just wondering what the other four 'ages' are going to be after they've covered punk? Are they going to devote whole episodes to the execrable new romantics? I can see an hour on Brit Pop and maybe a finale on the current band scene, but what else?

As for Yes being written out of the history books, it's depressingly par for the course. When will our lads be due their just reassessment?
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

Ed1909
Starship Trooper

Thu May 31, 2007 11:10 pm

Chris2210 wrote:I'm just wondering what the other four 'ages' are going to be after they've covered punk?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/
High vibration go on...

Chris2210

Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:50 pm

Aah, I see. Overlapping, intersecting, subdivided <i>Ages</i> of Rock.

S'pose "Seven Genres of Rock" just wouldn't have the same ring to it would it? Speaking of rings, where did I put that Trades Descriptions number? ;-)
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:07 pm

fragilesi wrote:Yes, I guess it was too much to expect much from them. Don't get me wrong the program is a decent enough watch and it was interesting to me to see some of the other issues they covered.

Just disappointing that they tend to give the impression that so few bands were doing this kind of stuff and adding theatre to the shows.

PS Greenglade, can we see the CD version of that picture please? :p

Had to spank that chick on the butt 'cuz she took all my Yes albums after that shoot. Besides, she got suntain oil on the album cover....No, I did that with photoshop and ...sorry, can't get the big pic to load, even after resizing....but here's consolation....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:17 pm

Rad!! Figured it out. Yessongs beach girl here:
http://all-texts.com/yeschick5BIG.BMP
(rated PG)

N2yes
Starship Trooper

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:39 pm

Like so many true artists, be it music or canvas, talent of such magnitude seldom gets its due.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:28 pm

N2yes wrote:Like so many true artists, be it music or canvas, talent of such magnitude seldom gets its due.

Thanks, N2yes, I guess I am getting pretty good at Photoshop.

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:13 pm

You are truly a master :D .

I wonder if we should have a competition along the lines of most amusing / impressive use of a Yes album cover in a photograph?

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:34 pm

fragilesi wrote:You are truly a master :D .

I wonder if we should have a competition along the lines of most amusing / impressive use of a Yes album cover in a photograph?

Aim to please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.