Interview with Benoit David

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

happytheman
Charter Member

Interview with Benoit David

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRffqvs5VQw
I'm impressed with this guy, I might get tickets after all.

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Re: Interview with Benoit David

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:13 am

That was a great interview. He seems very nice and very gracious. It's interesting how everything came together. I have a good feeling about him. I'm glad I'm going to the show this Saturday.
Ascend and Create!

happytheman
Charter Member

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:49 am

topographic_drama1980 wrote:That was a great interview. He seems very nice and very gracious. It's interesting how everything came together. I have a good feeling about him. I'm glad I'm going to the show this Saturday.
Richmond is closer for me on the 19th. Enjoy the show!

qman
Charter Member

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:30 pm

I love Jon Anderson but if you watch the video interview with Benoit David you can't help but like the guy. It's all good and Jon will be back when he is better. :) Most likely................ :rolleyes:
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:23 pm

I'll just keep beating this tired old horse until somebody with YES has the balls to talk about everything!!

DB is a wonderful standin, mimic, understudy, etc etc..You can't blame him from accepting the "offer" to tour with the other members, etc It has to beat replacing boat seat cushion fabric as he said he was doing in some interview I saw, etc etc. BUT....
WHAT in the (blanK) do the others think they're doing to the group of us Yes fans that want JON to be involved in any "decisions" of the group YES??

Jon was out promoting the 40th Anny Tour on Vh1 with a contest for the fans, he was putting together a group of youngsters from the Rock School to open and perhaps close that tour, thus exposing YES to all generations now and for the future, etc and he gets deathly ILL and under doctors orders, he has to take some time off, etc etc..Soooo the others come across DB and decide they can forgo and bypass JON for a quick payday, thinking that most of the YES fans of today are so hard up for a YES fix that they'll buy into disrespecting Jon and the name of YES by just announcing DB is taking over until Jon returns?? It's totally unacceptable to me and many others like me...

They needed DB as much as he needed them but he should have had the BALLS to say he wanted a private meeting with JON that would have hopefully served to involve Jon in the coaching and developing DB into the Yes fold for now and future times after Jon is gone....IF they would have done this, Jon could've been involved with this process, even had interviews with the two of them talking about YES in the past and future..IF they would've done this most EVERYBODY would have been happy instead of just Chris Squire and the other current YES members and their die hard fans...

Just having us go "cold turkey" with a nice, talented Jon clone doesn't cut it.

I'm hoping Jon never performs with this group again and just does his solo work after he hopefully recovers...
A nice short tour with Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman would blow this current group off the musical map in terms of excitement, etc.....

DB has alot to learn about how to respect the YES name...listening to the current owners of the name "YES" is not the route to follow.....
You follow the spiritual leader....with your heart...

qman wrote:I love Jon Anderson but if you watch the video interview with Benoit David you can't help but like the guy. It's all good and Jon will be back when he is better. :) Most likely................ :rolleyes:
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

Kalingzeye

Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Sure he's a nice, likable guy... that doesn't mean I have to like him as a performer or with YES, though... :|

I have to agree with most of what you said, tribute, I still feel very badly about this. I just feel like... YES, as an entity, deserves better than a canceled anniversary tour, an insult to Jon, and a last-minute replacement. But oh well, the guys are gonna do what they wanna do... I just hope YES can survive this.

I'm just really pissed right now, at a lot of things, not just this. But damn, if that "new song" has any implications as to whether or not this whole go-it-alone-without-Jon thing was a good idea, then damn, it's just sad. I still hold out hope for YES after this tour is over, but as much as the YES guys have a right to choose when and with whom they want to tour, I and other fans have the right to think it's a dumb move. Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they do, and if I don't it doesn't make me a "bad" fan.

...I think I need to go punch some pillows...

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:52 pm

What about Crack the Sky
perigee3

bondegezou

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:10 pm

tribute1969 wrote:They needed DB as much as he needed them but he should have had the BALLS to say he wanted a private meeting with JON that would have hopefully served to involve Jon in the coaching and developing DB into the Yes fold for now and future times after Jon is gone....IF they would have done this, Jon could've been involved with this process, even had interviews with the two of them talking about YES in the past and future..IF they would've done this most EVERYBODY would have been happy instead of just Chris Squire and the other current YES members and their die hard fans...
Leaving aside the internal band politics, it has become apparent that Jon Anderson's ill health would have precluded any meaningful "coaching and developing" role..

Henry

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:16 pm

Kalingzeye wrote:Sure he's a nice, likable guy... that doesn't mean I have to like him as a performer or with YES, though... :|

I have to agree with most of what you said, tribute, I still feel very badly about this. I just feel like... YES, as an entity, deserves better than a canceled anniversary tour, an insult to Jon, and a last-minute replacement. But oh well, the guys are gonna do what they wanna do... I just hope YES can survive this.

I'm just really pissed right now, at a lot of things, not just this. But damn, if that "new song" has any implications as to whether or not this whole go-it-alone-without-Jon thing was a good idea, then damn, it's just sad. I still hold out hope for YES after this tour is over, but as much as the YES guys have a right to choose when and with whom they want to tour, I and other fans have the right to think it's a dumb move. Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they do, and if I don't it doesn't make me a "bad" fan.

...I think I need to go punch some pillows...
You can vent to me(but dont punch me) I'm just as pissed about it!

It's ok to be mad at Yes

but they do have a history of turning these kinds of things around.
Unless deathly Ill, Jon Anderson isn't going away that easily.

Plenty of people on both sides of this argument

it makes me wonder though if they think Recording at this point is "risky"
and they are better, regardless of who's singing, to just go play the Classics.
I still think there are a few more songs to be writ

NumberNine

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:32 pm

well he is a very and nice kind of a guy. but he does not fit the rest of the group 'cause they are really bad guys. rock'n'rollers! I've heard that the one guy even smokes and the other guy has even tryed drugs :D There's also one guy in the band who would go on the road touring if his mother was ill :eek:

I think THIS band is a bad place to hang around for a young, brave, talented and nice guy like Benoit. :D ;)

This man is so talanted he has a fine fine voice. I think he should make music with guys that play not such a dirty guitar as Mr. Howe and eat more healthy than mr. squire ;) I also doubt that the young mr. wakeman is not much better than is father. so i would keep away from him and the other guys if i where Benoit. :D

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:09 am

I hope Jon has sense enough to never perform with them again....
They act like a bunch of pirates during a mutiny..arrrgh
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California