YesFan "mocks" Jon, the "Lead Singer"...

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

YesFan "mocks" Jon, the "Lead Singer"...

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Here's fun read.....Kota, go get your pillows, you're going to need them to punch on....lol

Re: It's okay to like..."DIS" this Yes?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YES it is....or isn't...

No Jon, No YES
No Robert Plant, No Led Zep
No Jim Morrison, No The Doors
No Mick Jagger, No Rolling Stones..
etc, etc.....

ALL of these groups can and should tour and play the music
they have been playing for years BUT they should not call themselves by their original name... if the lead singer is not included, ESPECIALLY when that lead singer wants to be included, eventually...no matter who "owns" the name legally... Using a "stand up impressionist" as a lead singer isn't enough to entice me to get a cheap, quick Yes (or Led Zep if they go ahead before Robert is ready) music fix..
I just never saw YES as a band to party by even with Jon...

I can wait "forever" if need be....too many other great bands out now to let a deluted YES lower the bar of what my expectations and memories are from a real YES concert experience........and I just cannot support those that "dissed" and manhandled Jon out of this tour..there is NO loyality with this group ...

Hopefully Jon will never have to play with the group again and can be happy and financially secure going solo and maybe playing a few "one offs" with former members like he did with Rick last year....Jon really does not need them like they need him.....I think it should be over as we knew it....

Party On Wayne, Party On Garth....
It's Yes World, It's Yes World

I would have waited forever - For you to return into my life
I would have waited forever - I would have given you everything I had
I would have waited forever - There's no question, no question at all

So true in the prize, would you wait for me?
All because you got burned, so you took what you needed.
Some will always turn away, say it's reason enough;
It's another game of exploration.
Something calls at reverse and it comes to you;
Experience everything as it comes true.

So - It will be then
Change - It will happen
See - That we feel it
All - Is completed.

Don't you want the world to stop short of giving?
Anytime of night or day, the magic things you love.
Everybody hurts when you shout, when you walk away;
Talk about it according to you.

I would have waited forever - To give you everything I had
I would have waited forever - There's no question about it at all

So in between the perfect flame of you, this love will never let you down.
Just take it as it comes, for everything will come around.

You put your hand up: stop the flow of where you're going to;
It's another game called exploration.
How we imagine everything that we think we're going through;
It's another reason to make the break.
Everyone will move with you now to the riverside;
Experience everything, but don't let the land slide...

I would have waited forever - To give you everything I had
I would have waited forever - No question in my body and soul
Forever...

Re: It's okay to like..."DIS" this Yes?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope, I'm just a devoted YES fan since 1972 with a great deal of "loyality is important" traits mixed in and I am from Raleigh too!
Saw Led Zep perform their first two albums in 1970 at Dorton Livestock Arena on a school and church night...lol while in high school..
I don't plan on seeing "Led Zep" minus Robert Plant either....
I'd be happy to see "Page/Jones/Bonham" with Ann Wilson on vocals, etc...I AM a purist when it comes to names.....

YES, I could wait forever or even never to see the real group "YES"...again.....I have "Wonderful, Wonderful" (as Jon often says during concerts) YES concert memories to last ME a lifetime....I am at peace with that...Just not with the way
Jon was treated....That "loyality" trait rearing it's head...

Remember, Jon was the one "screwing in that light bulb" for the promotion of the 40th Anny Tour last summer on Vh1, etc as he usually does, He's the one that was promoting YES music to all generations thru his involvement with the performers of at Rock School, some of which were to tour with the real YES on that tour..He is the one that gets the YES name out there through his involvement with such promotions like the "Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp" series...and he IS the one behind the concept and song writing for the majority of the YES catalog. Some "lead singers" do not write but a small portion, if any, of the songs they perform..I live in Nashville now so I know what I'm talking about...lol
Jon is not only the "lead singer" but he is the heart and soul of the group YES.....he mimics no one....

Now as Jon is in and out of hospitals, following doctor's order to recover physically before he performs again, fighting for his life... we see the others not really involve him with this tour since they "own" the name YES legally.....I am sure Jon, being a "lead singer" has more than enough ego to spare BUT this whole thing was handled so badly you can only assume it was done on purpose to oust Jon from the YES group....It's like telling a spouse you want a divorce and are leaving via an email or note left on the pillow......MORE could have been done IF they really were concerned about anything but some quick money and appeasing certain YES music addicts....

Talk about being screwed and not even enjoying it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanerx
So, if they called themselves "No", you would go hear the music and enjoy it?

"Eventually" - exactly when is that? 2009, 2010, ... never?

"cheap, quick, Yes fix" - well it's never cheap - and it sure hasn't been quick - oh, and by the way, none of us can wait forever.

I guess you think all lead singers should be able to hold their bands hostage - are you a lead singer, by any chance? Have you heard the one about how many lead singers it takes to change a lightbulb? (Just one - he holds the bulb up and waits for the world to revolve around him)

Hotel California

NumberNine

Re: YesFan "mocks" Jon, the "Lead Singer"...

Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:25 pm

there are two questions.

1. is it ok/possible to make yesmusic without jon?
2. is it ok how they carry on these days without jon?

Yes it is possible but it should be hearted. I have heard a lot of love in the playing between rick, alan, steve and chris in the past and it was wonderful. i

absolutely NOT. I absolutely agree that this is like jon was beeing forced to this divorce. That is not ok and i'm not a fan of this "present" band. They owe the name "yes" but just on paper. This tour to me happens under a sky full of unlucky stars.

I wonder that there is no statement of Jon. But it is quite clever to keep silent while everyone sees that he is not treated fair by his (ex)bandmembers.

Roan's Lady

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Nolan,

Realize I'm taking no sides here. But as long as you believe the following:

"BUT this whole thing was handled so badly you can only assume it was done on purpose to oust Jon from the YES group."

then it only stands to reason that you're going to have a strong opinion against this formation of "Yes" - and that strong opinion is naturally manifested all over your post.

My question to you is: How can you be sure of the intent of the other band members where Jon is concerned?
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:22 pm

I am never "sure" about anything...lol

I realize I just have too big of a kindhearted, soft heart to stand by and not say or do anything from what appears to be a big injustice to ALL of us...

I am sure everyone involved is guilty of some mishandling of this situation and I don't have any "behind the scenes" info to base fact on..I'm just expressing my instincts about a situation that
"If it looks like a pig and smells like a pig, then it must be a pig" Sooey!

Nothing scientific, just a gut feeling about the intent.....or at least the lack of concern for an ailing bandmate...I don't imagine this would be a morale booster for Jon...I actually hope, if and when he recovers, we get something from him like ABW&H...Let Chris and BD carry on in their direction, let Jon go his...

And the really SAD and disappointing thing is, it would have been easy to have handled this where everyone looked like they were truly concerned about the past, present and future of YES, Jon and the YES fans like myself.......This was Just too blunt for me....That's why I never wanted to get into music beyond the "fan" status...I know lots of artists and employees in the music industry and they are mostly miserable....I enjoy music for the fun, joy and inspiration of it...so I just decided to post feelings and impressions that many many folks are thinking but just haven't had the time or interest in expressing these thoughts...

Roan's Lady wrote:Nolan,

Realize I'm taking no sides here. But as long as you believe the following:

"BUT this whole thing was handled so badly you can only assume it was done on purpose to oust Jon from the YES group."

then it only stands to reason that you're going to have a strong opinion against this formation of "Yes" - and that strong opinion is naturally manifested all over your post.

My question to you is: How can you be sure of the intent of the other band members where Jon is concerned?
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California

Kalingzeye

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:29 pm

LOL... *punches things*
Welp... yep....
Gotta agree with all that... :rolleyes:
It's so frustrating...

NumberNine

Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:14 pm

tribute1969 wrote:I don't imagine this would be a morale booster for Jon...I actually hope, if and when he recovers, we get something from him like ABW&H...Let Chris and BD carry on in their direction, let Jon go his...
Well i understand what you feel but i think that is a little bit too black and white. that would minimize it to the squire/anderson-ting, which is not the case actually. to "kick out" the base is as wrong as to kick out the voice. and doing the one thing makes doing the other thing not better at all.

But what i really think is that there is a lot of bad blood i guess. The recent Interview of mr. squire was a shame. He was so enthusiastic about the band and the situation. he even spoke of a future in recording with the current lineup. shame on chris for that interview. that was a punch into the face of jon and into the hearts of a lot of Yesfans.

Whats wrong in the band?

1. Jon is sick and the band got on tour without him.
2. Jon obviously does not like that, as he was saying on the net in a blog.
3. Chris seems the force carrying on without jon and does interviews how good everything is and tells that it must be a mistake or something weird that jon stated what he did in the net. he says he is sorry about jon beeing not able to stay with yes (this time hahaha) and while beeing so sorry and sad about it he talks about future projects with the current line up - hääää ???? what is that?
4. the other band members do not let us know what they think.

Chris2210

Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:57 pm

tribute1969 wrote:I am never "sure" about anything...lol

I realize I just have too big of a kindhearted, soft heart to stand by and not say or do anything from what appears to be a big injustice to ALL of us...
No - to express an opinion on something you acknowledge you know nothing about is not kindhearted - it's solipsistic. It's also very negative - more from the spleen than the heart.

I can't see what the point is in reproducing the exchange you have here from another forum - do you have the permission of the original posters? [Who you don't acknowledge]. That's a great lecture on respect.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

NumberNine

Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:15 am

dear chris, what you do is a roundabout the form, missing out the content.

Roan's Lady

Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:26 am

Chris2210 wrote:No - to express an opinion on something you acknowledge you know nothing about is not kindhearted - it's solipsistic. It's also very negative - more from the spleen than the heart.

I can't see what the point is in reproducing the exchange you have here from another forum - do you have the permission of the original posters? [Who you don't acknowledge]. That's a great lecture on respect.
I had to look up "solipsistic". Good word.

If there's one thing you can count on, it's the "solipsistic" nature of many Yes fans. ;)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:52 am

I know Jons not happy, but behind the music. As long as some one is out there playing the music. Im 50, and the people of my youth are getting old and dying off, as I will some day, I am at the age where life stops giving, as much as it takes away. If a group of 19 year olds was all there was to see play yes music ( maybe not perfect, I would be saying, hell to the yes, sing). I beleive the members of yes have created music that will live forever. But no matter what, it is hard to have to pass on the flame to others.
perigee3

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:59 am

never been hip on pulling what musicians do apart, I do that with electronics. I dont like to pull apart things that touch the soul, right wrong or poorly done it is the stuff of life.
perigee3

Relayer
Starship Trooper

Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:52 am

The guy who wrote this doesn't seem to be to sharp about what he writes anyhow, the part about him being willing to go see Page,Jones and Bonham with Ann Wilson, sorry fella,
Bonzo has been dead over 28 years now, God rest his soul.

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:08 pm

No, I still like the word GUT, not spleen...lol...
Gut Feeling, Gut reaction..Gut less, etc

And NO, he really didn't mock Jon directly, he was more or less mocking ME...lol
We've "agreed to disagree"...no problems...

Just feel like someone should present a simplistic, easy to understand, gut reaction view of what many Yesfans and YesTalkers are feeling but don't want to open themselves up to scrutiny, ridicule or being "dissed" by other Yes fans...mock away!

I don't worry about the opnions about me in these 'debates' and with the endless banter that goes on and has always gone on at both forums concerning who is the most clever about their postings, musing, opinions....Last time I checked, this wasn't a court, a spelling bee, etc...just a virtual town square with many jesters and village idiots...just like myself....trying to make sense of what's happening in "Yesworld"...

Jon may or may not care about any of this but again, my gut reaction is that something's just not right...some accountability to Jon and the fans with my perception should be out there....solipsistic or not....

and BTW- I do know more than you might think...
Until I get "offical" word, I wouldn't state these as facts..
That doesn't even matter anyway because this IS really about
feelings and perceptions.....Still Smelling That Pig....
"Cause I've Got Yes friends in low places"...lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/broo ... -4994.html

Chris2210 wrote:No - to express an opinion on something you acknowledge you know nothing about is not kindhearted - it's solipsistic. It's also very negative - more from the spleen than the heart.

Hotel California

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:22 pm

I'd also go see "Squire, Howe and White"...with Benoit David and Oliver Wakeman...just like I wish I could have seen "Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe"...I missed out on that one..... :(
There is just something special to me about the classic lineups and names YES and Led Zep. I enjoyed "Page and Plant" in '95 and '98 too....
Glad they didn't attempt to call it Led Zep... :cool:

Again, it's not an exact science..maybe these groups should put numbers after the original names and after each lineup change...lol
THIS tour would be something like YES #21 or so...lol
This would be Led Zep #2 I suppose...with JASON Bonham....lol
I have boots of Bonzos last couple of performances...Keith Moon's last performance as well.... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't want the burden of being the sharpest tool in the tool shed anyway...you get used too much..... ;)
Relayer wrote:The guy who wrote this doesn't seem to be to sharp about what he writes anyhow, the part about him being willing to go see Page,Jones and Bonham with Ann Wilson, sorry fella,
Bonzo has been dead over 28 years now, God rest his soul.
Hotel California

2Lizard4
Charter Member

Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:15 am

Dont sweat it tribute, Where I work when you do something dumb, Not saying you did, "there are NO dumb ideas" they let you know it, in no uncertain terms. But as grown ups we get over it, and become better for it. Too many times in life I have worked for people who never said an unkind word, and yet those where the same people who would lie and stab you behind there back. I say that I dont get into picking apart a band or what it does, but I also Know that dosent make me right, amybe I just dont have the mental facilty for being able to do that, which is fine, there are a lot of things Im not good at, but I do have opinions.
perigee3

Chris2210

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:28 am

tribute1969 wrote:I'd also go see "Squire, Howe and White"...with Benoit David and Oliver Wakeman...just like I wish I could have seen "Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe"...I missed out on that one..... :(
I'm quite surprised to hear you say that, given your earlier statements about how you feel. But in any case I'm glad we can disagree on some of these things without falling out.

My point of view is that 'fan speculation', far from being supportive of Jon may in fact have a detrimental effect on the long term prospects for his return to the band - which to spell it out is what I want in practical circumstances. If the divisions are stoked up by internet chatter it becomes potentially more difficult for the various members to show cohesiveness and reunite when the time becomes right. Friction is by all reports an ever-present with this band - we don't help matters by polarising opinions by praising some members and damning others.

So far as I can see if we want to see the band continue into the future, some activity now by a reduced line-up is better than none with an entirely uncertain future... Besides, they aren't in any case strictly speaking billing themselves as Yes [IMO a very considered compromise of trading on the name they 'own' whilst spelling out it's Howe, Squire White of Yes].
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

tardistraveler

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:34 pm

tribute1969 wrote:Again, it's not an exact science..maybe these groups should put numbers after the original names and after each lineup change...lol
THIS tour would be something like YES #21 or so...lol

Hmmm . . . by my count, this would be

Yes - Version 11.0 I think . . . ;)

Or something like that - this band has gone through WAY too many permutations. :p

Nolan's just expressing some things I think we're all feeling on some level. We're all worried about Jon's health, and wondering if we'll ever hear him perform live again, or record again - with or without the rest of Yes. We're all frustrated with the long-standing issues between Jon and Chris and wish they could work things out between them cleanly. We love the past music of Yes and it pains us that we may not hear it again with Jon at the helm. Stuff like that.

This music has been my soul for close to 40 years now, and I'm feeling this stuff too, and it hurts. And it's OK to express it.

I'm wishing excellent health to be restored to Jon, and hoping that any personal hostilities among the band members can cease.

NumberNine

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:19 am

If Chris wants to get a band on his own he should do so instead of using the nahme yes

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=MVymT10s1 ... re=related

instead of forcing a yestour he should do something on its own. That could be great with some yesmusicians on his side. But he instead uses and sells out the name of the band. playing the old songs with a new voice is not very creative at all.

the current line-up and situation is not wearth a 40-years-of-playing-celebration.

not at all!

Full Circle was too sooooooooon!

NumberNine

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:31 am

Shame on Chris! Shame on Chris!

Shame on Chris!

Roan's Lady

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:36 am

Those are two great, great songs.
Saying that his "Aliens" pales in comparison is understatement of the highest order.

tribute1969
Starship Trooper

Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:45 pm

"$quire, Howe and White"

"In The Pre$ent Tour" would've been acceptable
Hotel California