NEW "CIRCA:HQ"CD Released today !!

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

Billy Sherwood HQ

NEW "CIRCA:HQ"CD Released today !!

Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:24 pm

Hello Friends

The new CD "CIRCA: HQ" has been officially released today and available "only at" our on line store www.circahq.com. The new CD features Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Jimmy Haun and Jay Schellen. 65 minutes of new CIRCA: Music !!

There will be audio samples of the tracks "If It's Not Too Late" and " False Start" will be loaded up soon here as well as our www.myspace.com/circahq page.

Thanks for the support !!

Cheers, Billy

TaterMouse
Charter Member

Re: NEW "CIRCA:HQ"CD Released today !!

Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Where do I buy it? Nevermind, just read your post. Count me in.
"So back it up to a biscuit there Eric!!"
~N2Yes

yesireebob

Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Moved this to the main forum, as it was previoulsy agreed that Circa is more "Yes" than than "alternate tune."

the greenman
Veteran Member

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Looking forward to it! It's had good pre-press, & I'm hoping it'll be excitingly proggy!

Dr_Yes

Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Woo Hoo! Looking forward to getting this soon.

Nice one Billy and the guys. The mixing didn't take too long then? ;)
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

Billy Sherwood HQ

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:04 pm

yesireebob wrote:Moved this to the main forum, as it was previoulsy agreed that Circa is more "Yes" than than "alternate tune."

Honored and it's greatly appreciated, I didn't want to offend anyone who may have thought otherwise.

Hope you like the new CIRCA: music !!

Billy Sherwood HQ

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:08 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:Woo Hoo! Looking forward to getting this soon.

Nice one Billy and the guys. The mixing didn't take too long then? ;)

Thanks !!

The whole record took about 6 months to produce. With the benefit of playing live gigs we discovered what we really we're. That tends to happen when you play live, you see what works and how it works. That said this new record is much more about "one man one part", of course there are additional elements to the music but the general vibe was to make it so it can be played live and represent the raw "CIRCA:ness" of it all... We are now playing 3 tracks from it in this upcoming tour of Italy and to me it sounds just like the record. The mixing took the same time mixing always does... a few days per track to get things in order and completed.

Billy Sherwood HQ

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:09 pm

the greenman wrote:Looking forward to it! It's had good pre-press, & I'm hoping it'll be excitingly proggy!

Let me know if you still want to drop by a rehearsal... we just moved into the big room.

the greenman
Veteran Member

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:01 pm

I'd love to! But as I'm in the Uk, & yr in LA I can't see it happening!! Set up a web cam in one corner, then we can all join in!!! Never mind the quality ( mind u some sound on these cams is awesome- look at the boots of In The Prsent or Zep at the o2 last year..
Go on, go on- u know it makes sense!! :D :D

Billy Sherwood HQ

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:10 am

the greenman wrote:I'd love to! But as I'm in the Uk, & yr in LA I can't see it happening!! Set up a web cam in one corner, then we can all join in!!! Never mind the quality ( mind u some sound on these cams is awesome- look at the boots of In The Prsent or Zep at the o2 last year..
Go on, go on- u know it makes sense!! :D :D

Sorry about that I meant that to go out to greenslade... my bad :D He is in Cali and we spoke of the rehearsals... opps !!!

the greenman
Veteran Member

Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Billy Sherwood HQ wrote:Sorry about that I meant that to go out to greenslade... my bad :D He is in Cali and we spoke of the rehearsals... opps !!!
Ha ha, no worries! i booked the flights anyway! (in my dreams..) tee hee. FINALLY got myspace to deliver - & just heard em for the very first time. Sounding good, Billy boy! The Band is really finding its voice, & Jay just slots in their just like I thought he would... The man is awesome.. Heck, you're all awesome!

I'm just going to change my bass strings so I can thump along in my amateurish way! ;)

Billy Sherwood HQ

Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:12 pm

the greenman wrote:Ha ha, no worries! i booked the flights anyway! (in my dreams..) tee hee. FINALLY got myspace to deliver - & just heard em for the very first time. Sounding good, Billy boy! The Band is really finding its voice, & Jay just slots in their just like I thought he would... The man is awesome.. Heck, you're all awesome!

I'm just going to change my bass strings so I can thump along in my amateurish way! ;)

Glad you are digging it !! Speaking of bass strings I broke an a string on my kubicki yesterday at rehearsals... That's the first time I've ever "broken" a string, and a roto sound no less. I guess it's all the notes flying around hehe...

Dr_Yes

Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:52 pm

Billy Sherwood HQ wrote:Thanks !!

The whole record took about 6 months to produce. With the benefit of playing live gigs we discovered what we really we're. That tends to happen when you play live, you see what works and how it works. That said this new record is much more about "one man one part", of course there are additional elements to the music but the general vibe was to make it so it can be played live and represent the raw "CIRCA:ness" of it all... We are now playing 3 tracks from it in this upcoming tour of Italy and to me it sounds just like the record. The mixing took the same time mixing always does... a few days per track to get things in order and completed.
Cool. I love getting insight on how the 'pros' work it out and put it together. Normally by the time I've switched on my 16-track home studio, logged 'new project', found the right guide amp sound, selected the trk for recording and tested the level, I've forgotten what it was I was interested in recording! ;) . No seriously, I am constantly amazed by those who can take the kernel of a good idea, lick, riff, melody, lyric, drum beat and turn it into finished material. I am a good imitator - hence why I did the Howe/Rabin role in a Yes tribute for a few years - but writing and recording new music seems to be beyond me.

But anyway, I've just ordered my copy of the album and I'm really looking forward to it.

Our new band 'Monkey Funch' is just getting going - maybe I'll finally get a chance to commit something of me to CD and let the world rip it to bits - ha ha - if only the critics knew just how bloody tough it is to hang all this stuff together.

On a separate note (but linked to production) Billy, what do you think of Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree? I find his production values on a par with anyone's. Do you dig the Tree and any of his side projects? I just paid for the download of Insurgentes (Wilson's latest solo cut) and its fneffin brilliant - as is Bass Communion - Ghosts on Magnetic Tape.

Just wondered.

Dave.

PS. Take care buddy. Wish I could see you in Italy but with three young kids and the credit crunch blah blah blah - maybe when you tour the UK!
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

thesage
Veteran Member

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:34 pm

Hey Billy, What about swinging downunder for a few shows? There are heaps of yes fans who are starved for decent prog!- 5 yes shows in 2003 the first in more than 30 years suggests we are a much neglected bunch down here!

Billy Sherwood HQ

Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:27 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:Cool. I love getting insight on how the 'pros' work it out and put it together. Normally by the time I've switched on my 16-track home studio, logged 'new project', found the right guide amp sound, selected the trk for recording and tested the level, I've forgotten what it was I was interested in recording! ;) . No seriously, I am constantly amazed by those who can take the kernel of a good idea, lick, riff, melody, lyric, drum beat and turn it into finished material. I am a good imitator - hence why I did the Howe/Rabin role in a Yes tribute for a few years - but writing and recording new music seems to be beyond me.

But anyway, I've just ordered my copy of the album and I'm really looking forward to it.

Our new band 'Monkey Funch' is just getting going - maybe I'll finally get a chance to commit something of me to CD and let the world rip it to bits - ha ha - if only the critics knew just how bloody tough it is to hang all this stuff together.

On a separate note (but linked to production) Billy, what do you think of Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree? I find his production values on a par with anyone's. Do you dig the Tree and any of his side projects? I just paid for the download of Insurgentes (Wilson's latest solo cut) and its fneffin brilliant - as is Bass Communion - Ghosts on Magnetic Tape.

Just wondered.

Dave.

PS. Take care buddy. Wish I could see you in Italy but with three young kids and the credit crunch blah blah blah - maybe when you tour the UK!

Fortuneatly having my own studio in my house and having all inputs, drums, basses , gtr amps etc... keys always plugged in and ready to roll it makes for the techy stuff not to be in the way of the creative. If I get an idea I can get to the idea rather then plugging stuff in and as u mentioned forgetting it.

I have heard the tree stuff and i dig it, I heard a sample of the SW project and dig it too... that said i don't really listen to alot of music in my off hours, I work on it so often that I prfer to dive into a pc game Image

Hope fully this italy tour will spark the interest of other promotors here there and everywhere and we will do it again near you. Stay tuned !! Thanks for the support for CIRCA: greatly appreciated on this end !!

Billy Sherwood HQ

Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:28 pm

thesage wrote:Hey Billy, What about swinging downunder for a few shows? There are heaps of yes fans who are starved for decent prog!- 5 yes shows in 2003 the first in more than 30 years suggests we are a much neglected bunch down here!

I would love to get down there... we shall see if we can make it happen !!

Billy Sherwood HQ

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:39 pm

Hello Friends !!

Well as is rock n roll... the Italy tour has been canceled.

On a positive note there are pics/slideshow from the rehearsals for said tour now posted at our myspace page...http://www.myspace.com/circahq.
Come have a look :D

the greenman
Veteran Member

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:27 pm

well, we're all bummed for you that the 'tour' got binned. I guess you'd have enjoyed hanging around in Italy @ this time of year..

But I hope you all enjoyed rehearsing together - certainly looks like it & I'm sure you'll be out on the road playing this wonderful music live again soon.

Maybe instead you'd spend some time talking to us about the new CD, about your inspiration for it & how you created some of the great bass sounds on it..?

Stay cool, Billy!