Rick Wakeman at Hampton Court - Six Wives

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

thehallway
Charter Member

Rick Wakeman at Hampton Court - Six Wives

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:45 pm

I saw Rick on Richard and Judy today (Fragile were on there too, briefly) and he revealed that he would be performing two shows at Hampton Court in London, to a limited audience of 5000 (I've got my tickets!)

Apparently, the gig is the first EVER where the Six Wives Of Henry VIII will be played in its entirety, at the location Wakeman originally wanted it. The show will be Tudor themed, with dancers, side film screens, and three new compositions. :icon_sbig

Anyone else going?
[8]

tardistraveler

Re: Rick Wakeman at Hampton Court - Six Wives

Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:38 pm

I hope there's a DVD of this!

Unfortunately, no way can I travel to see it . . . :(

coalescestudionyc
Veteran Member

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:18 am

thehallway wrote:I saw Rick on Richard and Judy today (Fragile were on there too, briefly) and he revealed that he would be performing two shows at Hampton Court in London, to a limited audience of 5000 (I've got my tickets!)

Apparently, the gig is the first EVER where the Six Wives Of Henry VIII will be played in its entirety, at the location Wakeman originally wanted it. The show will be Tudor themed, with dancers, side film screens, and three new compositions. :icon_sbig

Anyone else going?
I'll be there with you in spirit. Have a wonderful, wonderful time (you lucky so-and-so!!)

Michael

the greenman
Veteran Member

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:34 pm

I'm not sure I'm that into Rick's solo work to sit thro 2 1/2 hours of it. Sounds like it'll be a 'spectacular' tho, so it IS tempting..

There's a bunch of people from Yesfans going (http://www.yesfans.com) - look for the thread on the 2009 Global Gathering.

While you're over there, have a look out for 'bradders' - he's the keyboard player in seyes, who include 'gates' in their set - he might help you out!

But dont stay there too long! 'haste ye back' as they say over the border!

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:51 pm

I think I might have to go, shame he didn't play something with Fragile while they were there!!!

And his shows are more than just the music, he tells a lot of decent stories normally in between songs and there will be narration and goodness knows what too.

Well worth it.

the greenman
Veteran Member

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Brian Blessed has been announced as Narrator for the evening.. SO THAT WILL BE LOUD THEN!!

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Blimey! He won't need the PA.

What an impressive choice.

thehallway
Charter Member

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Brian Blessed? Wowzer! Really can't wait now. :D

I'm gonna try and get Rick's autograph after the show, or who knows maybe even a photo.
[8]

shedend
Veteran Member

Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:57 pm

I have my tickets for the 2nd !! :D
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
[CENTER]YES TOR [/CENTER]
[CENTER]"Yes Tor is situated two-and-a-half miles from Okehampton, Devon in England. On a clear day, from the top, you can see far away places with strange sounding names." [/CENTER]

Wakemaniac

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:28 am

Hampton Court here I come!!!!! :) :D
Caroline [:yes]songs

shedend
Veteran Member

Sun May 03, 2009 8:27 pm

This was Wakeman at is very outrageous best, everything was over the top !!

The main part of the programme the six wives was Rick as his best. Backed by the Europa Orchestra and the English Chamber Choir and not forgetting the English Rock Assemble.Brian Blessed was outrageous..Gordons Alive !!

The first part was the "Acoustic Strawbs" Not really the right place for them, Steve Howe would have been better.

Just one major complaint is that nearly all the official merchandise was sold in the first half hour and there wasn't a programme to be had anywhere
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
[CENTER]YES TOR [/CENTER]
[CENTER]"Yes Tor is situated two-and-a-half miles from Okehampton, Devon in England. On a clear day, from the top, you can see far away places with strange sounding names." [/CENTER]

the greenman
Veteran Member

Mon May 04, 2009 8:47 am

thanks for the brief update, Mr Shed! Sounds like a fab time was to be had. Sadly, I had other commitments that weekend. Still there's always the DVD... Say, where in West Sussex are you? We're almost neighbours - I'm only in the next County ('Ampshire)

thehallway
Charter Member

Mon May 04, 2009 8:02 pm

Fantastic gig! Rick was amazingly fabulous as expected and Blessed was hilarious. I recall Wakeman asking him to hurry up with his narration and get on with it, to which he said "We better get a move on, Rick wants to go home and watch Match of the day". The music was immense, and what a perfect setting.

...and there wasn't a programme to be had anywhere
I managed to get hold of a programme. They were £10 each though, bit of a rip off. It had features on all the performers (including my favourite percussionist Ray Cooper who seems to get his name on EVERYTHING!)
I agree about the Strawbs, they weren't really to Rick's standard.

I think I can be pretty certain I was the youngest person there. The fact that the queue for the toilets was longer than the queue for the bar says something about the average age of the audience!
[8]

coalescestudionyc
Veteran Member

Thu May 28, 2009 4:00 am

I just received my 2 CD set of the May 1st Six Wives concert and forgive me if my typing or grammar might seem to be off, but I'm writing this standing up. You see, I can't sit right now because these 2 CDs have just thoroughly kicked my ass!!

Rick is in such fine form, but what else would I expect? He said he's waited 36 years to do this concert, and his unbridled enthusiasm for the material and the venue is so clearly evident. Brian Blessed chews up the script with a Shatneresque verve. The band is incredibly tight, and the orchestra and choir just push this over the top. The recording is straight from the soundboard so a couple of things are a bit lost, but who cares? It's Six Wives in its entirety LIVE for the first time!!!

I officially cannot wait for the DVD release. But until then, these CDs will do quite well.

Michael

tardistraveler

Thu May 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Oh, I got the CD's of the 5/1 show too! They're fantastic!

This is a show I really wish I could have been at, but at least I have the CD's - the sound quality is just excellent, the narration hysterical at points, and Rick was spot on!

Looking forward to the DVD! :D

thehallway
Charter Member

Thu May 28, 2009 9:23 pm

I seem to remember while I was there that there were some people in ridiculous t-shirts claiming that they could record the show and give people the live recording (same as the cd you can buy now) 10 mins after the show. The price was enough to put me off, but I couldn't help but wonder if it was actually the recording from the night before. I could be wrong, but is it actually possible to record, mix and burn a cd in that time space??
[8]

coalescestudionyc
Veteran Member

Fri May 29, 2009 1:15 pm

thehallway wrote:I seem to remember while I was there that there were some people in ridiculous t-shirts claiming that they could record the show and give people the live recording (same as the cd you can buy now) 10 mins after the show. The price was enough to put me off, but I couldn't help but wonder if it was actually the recording from the night before. I could be wrong, but is it actually possible to record, mix and burn a cd in that time space??
I imagine it is, if all you're doing is taking it straight from the soundboard, warts and all, and not going in and editing out the throat-clearing and punching up some of the instruments that might have been mixed a bit too low. The jewel case inserts are pre-printed and it's just a matter of how many people are ahead of you that will determine how long you have to wait.

Michael

thehallway
Charter Member

Fri May 29, 2009 2:56 pm

It must sound shit then. That's impatience for you...
[8]

coalescestudionyc
Veteran Member

Fri May 29, 2009 5:48 pm

thehallway wrote:It must sound shit then. That's impatience for you...
Well, if the CDs that Tardistraveler and I received were the same ones being hawked that night, then I think we'd both be inclined to disagree with you. They sound terrific to me.

Michael

tardistraveler

Fri May 29, 2009 10:46 pm

coalescestudionyc wrote:Well, if the CDs that Tardistraveler and I received were the same ones being hawked that night, then I think we'd both be inclined to disagree with you. They sound terrific to me.

Michael

Yeah, I did the pre-order on the web site, and they claimed they could give it to you right after the show, or mail to an address. Since I unfortunately couldn't BE at the show, I opted for the mail . . . ;)

I thought the sound was great! There's probably a few spots where Rick is a little low in the mix, but for an "official bootleg", it's very good quality, and certainly beats any audience recordings hands down!

It was a little pricey - 20 pounds (sorry, I don't have the pound symbol on my keyboard), which charged to my credit card around $38 American. But well worth it, IMO.

thehallway
Charter Member

Sun May 31, 2009 9:22 pm

Oh, well I'm glad the quality is so good. I'm tempted to get the cds myself now, and of course the dvd.
[8]