Yessong of the week - "We Agree" from Magnification

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

Tomfoolery

Yessong of the week - "We Agree" from Magnification

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:53 pm

"We Agree" from Magnification.

I'm at work right now and somewhat busy, so I don't have time to go into it in depth. I picked this one because when I heard it on the day the CD was released, it just REALLY affected me ... the lyrics seemed almost prophetic, considering the circumstances surrounding the time frame it hit the stands. Also, it was one that Yes dedicated to an engine company, and Yes offered it as a download if you donated to help the victims of 9/11.

It's an incredible song, but I'll leave the opening statements about it to ya'll and I'll weigh in when I have more time to dedicate to a post... :)
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"

the greenman
Veteran Member

Re: Yessong of the week - "We Agree" from Magnification

Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:"We Agree" from Magnification.

I'm at work right now and somewhat busy, so I don't have time to go into it in depth. I picked this one because when I heard it on the day the CD was released, it just REALLY affected me ... the lyrics seemed almost prophetic, considering the circumstances surrounding the time frame it hit the stands. Also, it was one that Yes dedicated to an engine company, and Yes offered it as a download if you donated to help the victims of 9/11.

It's an incredible song, but I'll leave the opening statements about it to ya'll and I'll weigh in when I have more time to dedicate to a post... :)
An Engine Company? do you mean like a Fire Engine? If so, I think I remember that there was an NYC Fire Truck which it's crew named 'The Ladder' after a certain album. A photo of it sticks in the mind, complete with Dean-esque script. (was it Ladder 941? Dont know, sounds familiar..) I think Chris may have visited the crew too, after the dreaded events.

as to the song.. i'll go have as listen & comment later!

CourtoftheCrimsonKeith

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:06 pm

I think I saw in a newspaper once that the entire group visited a firehouse in Staten Island that named their rig "Close to the Edge'

Tomfoolery

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Well, I guess I couldn't generate any interest with this pick - unfortunate, but hey, it happens.

Who's got the next Yessong of the Week?

the greenman
Veteran Member

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:52 pm

we ain't finished with you yet, Tommo! It seems to take about 2 weeks to get comments out on this site (slow bunch that we are!!) & speaking personally, I seem to have mislaid my copy of Mag. & it aint uploaded onto my iplayer.. I wanted to give it a little listen (oh, ok a BIG listen) before saying any more.

Right now all I can remember is the spanish guitar opening. Wonder if Greenglade can play that?

the greenman
Veteran Member

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:54 pm

if like me you cant find your copy of Mag. or maybe you havent got it, you can listen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_83T08W47Cc

check it out & post wisely!

yesireebob

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:56 am

Sorry Tom, I have been working overtime and have had no time for an in-depth analysis. But it's a great pick that illustrates very well the more somber side of Magnificaiton and resonates uncannily with the events of 9/11. Again, I love Mag, it's a stellar disc that deserved so much more attention and credit when it was released.

the greenman
Veteran Member

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:35 pm

Lets (re) start with the words..

Answers never clear again
This turning of the page
This turn look away
There I took a left turning
Before I came of age
I agreed to let it out
I agreed to let it go
I agreed to turn around
I agreed to turn my face away

Danger is the most important
Fear you’ll ever know
The transporting of refugees
The silent night is cold
And all the time
We looked around
As we were never told
But we agreed to let it out
We agreed to let it go
We agreed to turn our backs
We agreed to turn our face away, away

Thousands to the million
Sisters, grandmothers and more
It’s not the feast we throw away
It’s the way we close the door
Their silence deafens every sound
We try just to ignore
To waste their future freedom
We’ll regret forever more

I believe in
I believe in
These are the days that we will talk about
I believe in
I believe in
One understanding what is real
If we are one
Then we are refugees
We are the prisoners of our own design
If we are one
Seen through the eyes of a child
We will perpetuate this song of love
If we are one
If we are one
We will perpetuate this song
Perpetuate this song of love

Now we build the bridges
That we walk upon together
At the last count many lonely souls
The sadness always kills
Each breaking point is waiting
For the promise to fulfill
When we agree to turn the page
When we agree to help them free
When we agree to let it out
When we agree to let it shine
When we agree to let it run
When we agree to let it change our lives

I believe in, our lives
I believe in, our lives
These are the days we will talk about
When we are one
Seen through the eyes of child
When we are one
Seen through the eyes of child
Song of love
Yeah, yeah, perpetuate this song of love
Seeing through the eyes of child
Seeing through the eyes of child

d'you know? part of my problem is I just cant make up my mind about this track (this album, indeed..) I want to like it (it's by Yes, fergodssake!). & it has some interesting interplay between the rock side of the band and the orchestra, but it justn't set my soul on fire like other - earlier - Yes (including some of Yeswest).

The whole 'mag' thing should have been more than the sum of it's parts but to me it disappoints! Sorry, just telling how I see it! Feel free to disagree!

M [:idr]

Dr_Yes

Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:42 pm

No argument here. I really don't much like Mag. Never did. BIG disapoointment when I first heard it.

There was a time when I played ITPO over and over but even that's no proved to be a stayer.

:-(
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

happytheman
Charter Member

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:31 am

Tomfoolery wrote:Well, I guess I couldn't generate any interest with this pick - unfortunate, but hey, it happens.

Who's got the next Yessong of the Week?
Was there ever a "list" complied for this "part 2" of Yessong of the Week?
I'll throw one out this evening before I head out of town for a few days.

Chris2210

Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:49 pm

Missed this one whilst I was away. The song is just a whisker below my top three on this album, which still makes it a great track. It is uncharacteristically sombre and direct for Yes and it's the only instance of admonishment I can think of from Anderson's lyrics. But it's pointedness is all the more affecting for that. I always relate the 'rebuke' as eerily prescient of the almost inevitable way the events of 9/11 solicited a response of retribution from the western powers [well actually the US with Britain in tow], when the only way to heal a wound is to salve it.

Even now the G20 summit will discuss ways of repairing our broken system to solve the problems of our chaotic economics whilst largely ignoring the catastrophic effects that parasitic activity will have on some regions in the thrid world. We can pour billions into our fiscal stimlus packages, billions into our wars in Asia and the Middle East whilst standing idly by whilst towns in Africa who no longer have a market for the copper mining we encouraged FACE THE VERY REAL AND IMMINENT THREAT OF STARVATION. We agree to turn our face away...

Some fantastic musicianship from Steve in particular as well on this - I wouldn't be surprised to find this is principally a Howe track - it has his fingerprints all over it.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:25 pm

I am definitely with Chris on most of this one. These lyrics are no "sound painting"; to say that these lyrics resonate with my own feelings about our Western society would be a massive understatement. Sometimes when I look at my five year old, her innocence and the way that she is growing to learn about the world around her it makes me very sad. She is learning that the Big Bad Wolf is more than just a character in a story. How will she feel about our generation in 30 years time when she realises that our collective selfishness made the Big Bad Wolf look like a saint?

Fantastic song but one I find hard to think about because it genuinely seems to look into our generation's soul and hold up a mirror to it.

However, in terms of admonishment I think Jon does have a little bit of form. . . "You're first I'm last. You're thirst I'm asked to justify. Killing our last heaven beast."

Chris2210

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:05 pm

I knew you were going to mention that Simon. But of course you're right. Bugger. ;)

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:50 am

Chris2210 wrote:I knew you were going to mention that Simon. But of course you're right. Bugger. ;)
"Predictable" is my middle name :) . Oddly when I first read that line I thought what is he talking about because obviously I saw that one straight away . . . but I haven't thought of any others yet so it's still a good point!

Chris2210

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:33 pm

fragilesi wrote:"Predictable" is my middle name :) . Oddly when I first read that line I thought what is he talking about because obviously I saw that one straight away . . . but I haven't thought of any others yet so it's still a good point!
Yeah I meant to say only one of two instances i can th

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Their chief weapons...

Tomfoolery

Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:51 pm

Chris2210 wrote:... It is uncharacteristically sombre and direct for Yes ... I always relate the 'rebuke' as eerily prescient of the almost inevitable way the events of 9/11 solicited a response of retribution from the western powers [well actually the US with Britain in tow], when the only way to heal a wound is to salve it.

Some fantastic musicianship from Steve in particular as well on this - I wouldn't be surprised to find this is principally a Howe track - it has his fingerprints all over it.

Chris, I like your take on it. As per the norm, you're charactistically eloquent and remarkably insightful....

That being said, it's the almost prophetic nature of this tune that grabs me first... knowing it was written and recorded before 9/11 brings it into the outskirts of the realm of soothsaying. The lyrics bring a chill to my bones even to this day....

I didn't think of it as "principally a Howe track", as you put it, Chris, but after reading your comments, I can definitely see that.....