XYZ (ex -Yes Zeppelin) Mind Drive

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

the greenman
Veteran Member

XYZ (ex -Yes Zeppelin) Mind Drive

Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Thought people might enjoy hearing this which I just turned up on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKhcwwNeoKI&NR=1

There's no question in my mind it's Page (tho one poster says he thinks it's Rabin). As a Zep fan too, that is most definately Page's guitar style/sound. No question...

There's a couple of other XYZ pieces out there too, so enjoy!

Best wishes to you

Coffee_&_Cigarettes
Veteran Member

Re: XYZ (ex -Yes Zeppelin) Mind Drive

Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:22 pm

the greenman wrote:Thought people might enjoy hearing this which I just turned up on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKhcwwNeoKI&NR=1

There's no question in my mind it's Page (tho one poster says he thinks it's Rabin). As a Zep fan too, that is most definately Page's guitar style/sound. No question...

There's a couple of other XYZ pieces out there too, so enjoy!

Best wishes to you

Sounds great!
The beginning of the song reminds me a bit of ELP´s Tarkus album, the epic rock feel that is.
Definitely page-eske riffs on this song, but i have my doubts if it is in fact Page.Some guitar parts point to what he done in kashmir and on the Zeppelin "Presence" album, but the guitar tone doesn´t feel like page´s and by the time the song reaches 6:29min the guitar solo enters but its too raw and obvious to be jimmy page.The sound is also filled with some kind of low-fi chorus effect/pehaps reverb+chorus more like a Alex Lifeson sound but with a raw riffing.
The bass also doesn´t sound like something Squire would do – that is my personal opinion – he´s usually more creative than that.

the greenman
Veteran Member

Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:41 pm

you have to remember Page wasnt at his best at this period.. & I think Squire described the sessions as 'very stoney' - lets leave it at that!!

thehallway
Charter Member

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:18 pm

It's a shame this project didn't last longer. Apparently something to do with Plant still mourning for John Bonham prevented any progress from happening. Great link though, two of my three favourite bands playing together!
[8]

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Mon May 04, 2009 10:35 pm

I have a few of the songs from this period including this one. They're good, but not too great. I did like the early version of Can You Imagine. I thought it was cool.

Another thing I saw on YouTube recently, was the actual recording of Yes doing We Can Fly From Here from the Drama or pre-Drama sessions. It must have been another demo or something. Why was that not added on to the album?!!

As for the XYZ project, they didn't need Robert Plant. I think they would've been fine enough as a trio, IMO. At least as a one-off project, it would have been interesting.
Ascend and Create!

the greenman
Veteran Member

Mon May 04, 2009 11:35 pm

I think 'we can fly from here' is on the Drama remasters, isnt it - still pretty raw. Had the band in that format recorded another album, I'm sure they'd have polished it some more. Wasnt it one of the first things the 'drama' line up did together?

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Mon May 11, 2009 9:42 pm

"We Can Fly From Here" was the first song the band rehearsed with Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes. They apparently recorded two versions of the song. One was a demo that surprisingly had Bill Bruford on drums. There wasn't much guitar on there, it was kind of dominated by keyboards. The other one sounded like a full-on recorded version that could've ended up on Drama. There's only a trio version of "Go Through This" on the remastered version. If both songs would have been put on the album it would have been better than it is now.
Ascend and Create!

tardistraveler

Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:20 pm

Wonder why they didn't put "We Can Fly from Here" on Drama? I really like it.

I've got some demos from the XYZ sessions - need to find and play again - I haven't heard them in a while.

the greenman
Veteran Member

Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:13 am

there's a couple of Iv's from the 'achilles last stand' site about XYZ, one with White, the other with Squire here:

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/reference/index.php?m=int34

JPJ is on record saying he didnt know anything about it & thought the press made it up..

Clearly not.