The Gates of Delirium !!!Rediscovering RElayer

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

Coffee_&_Cigarettes
Veteran Member

The Gates of Delirium !!!Rediscovering RElayer

Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:44 am

I rediscovered Relayer today, I was driving back home and nothing was worth listening on the radio so I searched in the car for some cd and there it was...i don´t really know what happened, Gates of Delirium just made me rearch some sort of trance state, I felt my spirit awakening, I felt more alive than ever!The thing is that i did not have much appreciation for this album until now...I had a few issues with Moraz playing for Iam a hardcore Wakeman fan, but somehow my ears and my soul got in tune with Moraz mystical keyboard playing.
Gates is not just a song it´s a spiritual journey, it´s a door or a stairway to get in tune with the universe!Maybe i´m getting too New Age here but or maybe i just found something that has a strong effect on my soul and is meaningfully beautiful.
A rush of memories flashed in my mind, old friends, meaningful places, the best things that ever happened to me, I remembered how good it made me feel the first time I played Close to the Edge , the first gig with my band, my first love, the lazy afternoons listening to music...
All these things made me realize that YES is a milestone in my life, it´s like B.Y.(Before YES) and A.Y.(After YES).
To be Over is just, just...just...can´t think of a word to describe it...it´s amazing the way this album was conceived, it´s just pure harmony, pure perfection if there´s a Heaven or a Nirvana or Valhalla then this is the music playing there!
Yes flame burning more than ever!
Nothing will overcome the power of this band, not even a crap rap version for Owner!

the greenman
Veteran Member

Re: The Gates of Delirium !!!Rediscovering RElayer

Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:22 am

it's an awesome album... Gates, the track I'd always liked but never loved until a couple of years back - I'd always 'appreciated' it, but never felt able to be totally into it. Now I think it's a master work.

Great live version of it from '75 on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHr3LxfjpfI

Coffee_&_Cigarettes
Veteran Member

Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:43 pm

the greenman wrote:it's an awesome album... Gates, the track I'd always liked but never loved until a couple of years back - I'd always 'appreciated' it, but never felt able to be totally into it. Now I think it's a master work.

Great live version of it from '75 on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHr3LxfjpfI

Absolutely Marvelous!!!!!
I got hipnotized by Howe´s guitar playing, too bad the video isn´t complete,still, its great to be able to see what their concerts look like.
Gates changes people!

the greenman
Veteran Member

Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Coffee_&_Cigarettes wrote:Absolutely Marvelous!!!!!
I got hipnotized by Howe´s guitar playing, too bad the video isn´t complete,still, its great to be able to see what their concerts look like.
Gates changes people!
Hehe, yes sure does! I realise that the clip is a promo for a dvd of the whole concert, which features Moraz.. there's another clip of him playing CTTE, which the poster things he slaughters (as in doesnt play well). I think it's ok; different.. Each different yesmember brings something 'fresh' to the party!

I had the chance to get up close to Howe at an Asia gig last year & could really watch his technique - tremendous economy. & he doesnt 'force it' - he's kind of 'behind' the music, plays it in a kind of understated & very controlled (but relaxed!) way.

CourtoftheCrimsonKeith

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:34 am

Coffee_&_Cigarettes wrote:Yes flame burning more than ever!
Thats a beautiful feeling. Theres something very special about falling in love with a yes album for the first time. It's something a lot of us here have experienced more than once. Really glad you got so into it. I feel the same way about this album. Wherever Jon is, I'm sure he would love to hear that after all these years people can still get off on this amazing music. Keep on keeping on dude, and don't ever forget how you feel about this album right now.

happytheman
Charter Member

Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:22 am

Coffee_&_Cigarettes wrote:Absolutely Marvelous!!!!!
Gates changes people!
Here is all of part 1 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2213225554
Enjoy!

Coffee_&_Cigarettes
Veteran Member

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:45 pm

happytheman wrote:Here is all of part 1 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2213225554
Enjoy!

They sure know how to make an entrance!
Jon had this strange look in his eyes, like he´s totally absorbed by the music, fierce.
There is definitely a amazing chemistry between Jon, Squire, Howe, Alan and Moraz...I love Wakeman but at this point: Hats off to Moraz!
I don´t think Moraz ruined CTTE, he just made his own interpretation which to my ears sounds great!

happytheman
Charter Member

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:48 pm

Coffee_&_Cigarettes wrote: I don´t think Moraz ruined CTTE, he just made his own interpretation which to my ears sounds great!
I was just listening to the most recent offering on BigO where Yes performs most of Relayer (King Biscuit Flower Hour) and found Moraz's version of Close to The Edge quite enjoyable. I have a boot of him torturing the song. He simply added his "flair" nothing wrong with that.
I also was listening to a 71 boot (also from BigO) where Steve does a hatchet job of Astral Traveller but a wonderful version of Everyday. In fact it's easy to see where his solo in Yours is no Disgrace came from after listening to this version.
Every new addition to Yes added there "interpretation" of the song to the mix.
In the most recent interview I read with Steve he mentioned that they were trying to go back and stick to the "album" version of each individual song. It's easy to see where he was dead on with the "In the Present" tour as far as Astral Traveller, coz he nailed it when I saw them, dead on note for note.

thehallway
Charter Member

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Moraz has been vastly under-rated and under-appreciated over the years. I still think Wakeman is better overall, but Patrick's touch he adds to the likes of Gates and Sound chaser work very well in my opinion, and he plays fabulously in concert. It's interesting to analyse the stylistic differences between the Yes keyboardists, and how each bring they're own unique flair to the tunes they play on. Tony Kaye for example, who rarely used anything other than his hammond organ and piano, managed to add just what was needed to the overall sound (although it apparently wasn't enough for Jon, who organised the employment of Rick). And Wakeman's unique "15 keyboard" showcases impressed on even more flamboyant terms. But I think Moraz did a great job of filling a Wakeman-shaped gap in Yes's music, and should be remembered fondly for his work.

BTW, Relayer is definately in my top 3 Yes albums.
[8]

the greenman
Veteran Member

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:39 pm

i never had the opportunity to hear Moraz live, but i would have liked to - he's a very distinctive player with a unique style.

& i didnt think that version of CTTE was bad, just different. Fresh interpretations bring new perspectives, which can bring insight.

Just like hearing different orchestras play the classics, or actors a well known play.

thehallway
Charter Member

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:16 pm

Excellent, my 100th post!

Not a particularly large number compared to some of you guys who are in the thousands but oh well.
[8]

the greenman
Veteran Member

Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:39 pm

thehallway wrote:Excellent, my 100th post!

Not a particularly large number compared to some of you guys who are in the thousands but oh well.
Congratulations Hallway! You'll soon catch me up - been a bit bz of late - not too much time for posting!

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Mon May 11, 2009 9:51 pm

This is my absolute favorite Yessong. It sums up everything that's so great about them: the playing the vocals, the sheer complexity (especially the battle sequence, holy shit!!!), the power, the virtuosity in everyone. I love this song and will never tire of it. It's power and beauty, especially with the "Soon" section can bring tears to your eyes. It's that beautiful. Steve's best guitar playing overall in a single piece of music is right here. Patrick Moraz gave some of the best synth sounds on this song, also on the other 2 songs on the album.
Ascend and Create!

Dr_Yes

Tue May 12, 2009 11:13 am

topographic_drama1980 wrote:This is my absolute favorite Yessong. It sums up everything that's so great about them: the playing the vocals, the sheer complexity (especially the battle sequence, holy shit!!!), the power, the virtuosity in everyone. I love this song and will never tire of it. It's power and beauty, especially with the "Soon" section can bring tears to your eyes. It's that beautiful. Steve's best guitar playing overall in a single piece of music is right here. Patrick Moraz gave some of the best synth sounds on this song, also on the other 2 songs on the album.
Well said mate. This song is timeless - something Yes music acheieves at its best. The power and passion, and the sheer musical brilliance is breathtaking (especially live). Funnily enough I popped this on last night too and was taken back to a truly wonderful place. Oh to have seen it in 74-76. Sigh ....

More and more, I think Relayer is THE Yes album.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

tardistraveler

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:01 pm

I saw Gates performed 9 times during Moraz's stint with the band. It is a total mind-f*ck live!

I "rediscovered" Relayer on a recent road trip with my son. He wasn't familiar with it, so I put it on, and reached that "zone" that C&C described . . . it is an AWESOME piece of music, and I was struck by the fact that it likely would NOT have been made without Moraz - had he never joined the band, there would be no Relayer, at least not the Relayer we know and love.

So, I'm very grateful for what Moraz brought to the band . . . I personally would have liked to hear more, but it was not to be.