Yessong of the month - Perpetual Change

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

the greenman
Veteran Member

Yessong of the month - Perpetual Change

Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 pm

I know we're supposed to do this weekly, but we dont! & it's my birthday month, so how about we celebrate that (those of us who arent at Hampton Court - sniff) (but it'll be raining in a minute..) with a discussion about this little gem.

& what a corker it is.. How it's theme was to embody the ever changing nature of Yes & it's member - kind of prophetic & yet such a powerful song... from those scorching opening chords, thunderous drum beats (from old Bruffy - but AW does it proud..).

What do people think?

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Re: Yessong of the month - Perpetual Change

Fri May 01, 2009 10:29 pm

The Yessongs version is really great , also the Yes Album version, HOB version is not good imho
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

happytheman
Charter Member

Sun May 03, 2009 7:41 pm

What a gem this song is. The Yes Album offered so many classics that stayed in the set list for quite some time.
Steve shines on this one for sure, but you've got to love the Yessongs version where Bill gets a chance to "spread out".
Jon offers some great lyrics to the mix to top it off. Recently found a boot that showed the band in their glory circa 71 playing this song.
Great selection for "song of the month".

thehallway
Charter Member

Thu May 14, 2009 7:34 pm

This was one of the first yes songs I learnt on the piano; found it quite tricky at the time! As you said, the live and extended versions are often even more delightful, my favourite part is that synthy bridge that seamlessly merges back into the chorus. I wouldn't say it was as good as the other two 9-minuters on the album though.
[8]

yesireebob

Fri May 15, 2009 4:29 pm

Years ago when my son had a high-school garage band, I was playing this song and one of my son's band members said, that sounds really great but they could never do that live. So, I whipped out Yessongs and played the live version. The look on his face, priceless...

yesireebob

Fri May 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Haha, just as I finished the above post, the live version from HOB came up on my ITunes shuffle ...

tardistraveler

Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:41 pm

yesireebob wrote:Years ago when my son had a high-school garage band, I was playing this song and one of my son's band members said, that sounds really great but they could never do that live. So, I whipped out Yessongs and played the live version. The look on his face, priceless...

That's a fantastic story!

And to me, the beauty of Yes is that they COULD do it live! Heck, it was usually BETTER live! The Yessongs versions of all the TYA cuts are my favorite ones . . . :D

And how prophetic this song was, in terms of Yes itself . . .