Jon and Rick Disappointed

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

tardistraveler

Re: Jon and Rick Disappointed

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:41 pm

happytheman wrote:You are being rather "generous" don't you think? When they performed it on the first leg of the tour, I rolled my eyes when Chris launched into it. The couple of boots I've heard since then showed me that it didn't get any better with time!
Apparently there is to be a version with Hackett?? anyone heard this version?

Well, I did use the "rolleyes" smilie in my comment . . .

It was pretty lame, IMO. Might work better as the collaboration with Hackett, but I haven't heard much along those lines recently.

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:56 pm

thehallway wrote:Will Benoit and Oliver be doing any writing? Or do you think they should leave it to the older trio? I havn't heard any of their stuff from previous respective bands but it would be interesting to see them tackle the progressive genre (that is, if the band decide to write progressive songs at all!).

Has anyone heard the 'Aliens are only us from the future' song? What was that like? (from your singular hearing)

You should check out the band Mystery. Excellent prog band with Benoit on lead vocals.

As for the song, it wasn't played at the show I went to, but I was able to check it out on YouTube. It was okay, but not that great, although I do applaud the band for actually doing something different.
Ascend and Create!

TaterMouse
Charter Member

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi folks. Just checking in.

Just wanted to mention that from the way I've been reading things, despite a few words I've come across, I'd say Rick would be perfectly happy calling the band Yes if Jon and Oliver were in it. I think he is simply magnifying the point by showing that two "members" are missing. But he did apparently recommend Oliver and I think his real hurt is for Jon.

Just thinking out loud...
"So back it up to a biscuit there Eric!!"
~N2Yes

coalescestudionyc
Veteran Member

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:21 pm

TaterMouse wrote:Hi folks. Just checking in.

Just wanted to mention that from the way I've been reading things, despite a few words I've come across, I'd say Rick would be perfectly happy calling the band Yes if Jon and Oliver were in it. I think he is simply magnifying the point by showing that two "members" are missing. But he did apparently recommend Oliver and I think his real hurt is for Jon.

Just thinking out loud...
Pretty well sums it up.

Michael

Yessong
Charter Member

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:16 am

coalescestudionyc wrote:Pretty well sums it up.

Michael

X 2....

Chris2210

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:44 pm

TaterMouse wrote:Hi folks. Just checking in.

I'd say Rick would be perfectly happy calling the band Yes if Jon and Oliver were in it. I think he is simply magnifying the point by showing that two "members" are missing. But he did apparently recommend Oliver and I think his real hurt is for Jon.
Nontheless I think this is rather strange. After all this is an implicit criticism of his own son - you can't have it both ways. My reading of this is that he's happy that there are 'stand-ins' but not so pleased at the thought of being permanently replaced.

In an ideal world I would naturally prefer to see the acknowledged classic line-up. But this isn't an ideal world and the situation we find ourselves in now has been brought about as much by the actions [or inactivity] of the absent members as it is by those out on tour.

The old cake or eat conundrum. It's just the way the gateau crumbles...
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

thehallway
Charter Member

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:18 pm

From the 'Yes-where are they now' site:

Rick Wakeman, Trevor Rabin plus...
On the 6 Feb edition of his Planet Rock radio show, a listener sent in a question asking Wakeman about the possibility of he and Rabin "re-uniting to play Yes material again." Wakeman responded:

<SMALL>Just last week, a discussion took place between myself, Trevor and a couple of other ex-members of Yes who will remain nameless [...] about doing just that, about doing an album, and I think the odds are extremely high that it will happen this year. Trevor, I love Trevor to bits [...] I've always wanted to do an album with him [...] This will tick a big box for me.</SMALL>

Commenting on Yesfans.com, Sherwood has explicitly ruled out his and Kaye's involvement. There has been considerable online speculation that Anderson is involved: while this seems very plausible given the collaborations reported immediately above and below, it should be pointed out that there has been no confirmation of this.
[8]

tardistraveler

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:53 pm

Yes, I've been hearing this as well - smacks of "YesWest" and "ABWH" days . . . perhaps there will be a REUnion at some point . . . ;)

thesage
Veteran Member

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:26 am

I read this on Henry's site as well- I also posted last year suggesting ( tongue firmly in cheek) that Rick, Trevor and Jon should get together and record as an alternative Yes, a la ABWH. Well it seems this may in deed happen. I think its safe to assume that Jon Anderson is one of the other exYes men Rick refers to- but who might the others be? Given there are bass and drum positions open and Yes have only ever had Squire on bass- although both Levin and Berline did superb jobs in ABWH- if you want a Squire clone and good vocalist at that- I suggest that Jon Camp formerly of Renaissance who based his style on Squire- and acknowledges him as the main influence- plus he used a Rickenbacker, would be a make a great addition (although he is involved in the Renaissance off-shoot Renaissant project with 2 other members of Renaissance) Sherwood and Kaye have apparently already indicated they are not involved- Bruford has stated he is retired- given some of his comments about Trevor in the Yesstories book I doubt anything other than a to die for jazz project would entice him out of retirement-the other Yes men are Moraz- hardly a drummer and would he play 2nd fiddle to Rick, doubt it. Eddie Jobson- Keys for a brief minute and back with UKZ and related projects, Peter Banks? a second guitarist? possibly but necessary? then we get into associated players- ie session players- So if they do write and record I wonder who they will use and what they will record?

thesage
Veteran Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:08 am

I completely forgot that Yes did indeed have another bass player- one Trevor Horn who played bass on Run through the Light!! So we could see Anderson Rabin Wakeman Horn- ARWH- how does that sound?

thehallway
Charter Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:43 pm

thesage wrote:I completely forgot that Yes did indeed have another bass player- one Trevor Horn who played bass on Run through the Light!! So we could see Anderson Rabin Wakeman Horn- ARWH- how does that sound?
What about drumming duties?
[8]

coalescestudionyc
Veteran Member

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:37 pm

thesage wrote:I completely forgot that Yes did indeed have another bass player- one Trevor Horn who played bass on Run through the Light!! So we could see Anderson Rabin Wakeman Horn- ARWH- how does that sound?

I don't think Jon would go for that, given that Trevor Horn is a link to the Drama era.

Michael