Yes Music In Commercial

This is our general YEStalk area.
Drop in and say hi, and join or start a new Yes-related topic.

Moderator: N2yes

coalescestudionyc
Veteran Member

Yes Music In Commercial

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:52 am

I'm watching the Yankees/Angels game tonight and a commercial for a new Chase bank card comes on. And what music are they playing prominently in the background, you ask? Why, none other than "Your Move/All Good People!" And it's not like it's a small part or an excerpt in a montage of other songs. It's Yes all the way in a NATIONAL commercial. And so far, through seven innings, it's been on twice.

Nice to hear!

Michael

tardistraveler

Re: Yes Music In Commercial

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Perhaps it will inspire someone new to check out Yes . . . :cool:

thehallway
Charter Member

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Woo [:yes]
[8]

tardistraveler

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Funny - after reading this yesterday I'm in the car, with "Classic Rock" radio on. The DJ mentions seeing this commerical, and was inspired to play some Yes! Her choice was LDR/The Fish . . . you NEVER hear these on radio, at least, not around here!

thehallway
Charter Member

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:50 pm

Wow! Over here its all rap, hip-hop, dance, and whatever other new genres they've created.

They ought to play the whole of Tales on radio 1 one day. Imagine the hate-mail...
[8]

tardistraveler

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:34 pm

thehallway wrote:Wow! Over here its all rap, hip-hop, dance, and whatever other new genres they've created.

They ought to play the whole of Tales on radio 1 one day. Imagine the hate-mail...

Yeah - we used to have stations with "album rock" formats back in the 70's - you'd hear a whole side of Tales, or Thick as a Brick . . . stuff like that . . .

The closest we get now are the "Classic Rock" stations, that play all the non-disco things popular in the 70's/80's, so you get 3 Yes songs (Roundabout, Owner, and ISAGP), Genesis' pop hits, lots of southern rock, Stones, Led Zep, late 70's rock (Journey, Boston, et al), 80's hair metal. And then there's the "Metal" stations, that play things like Evanescence, Disturbed, and the occasional Nickleback . . . lol . . . and actually play some things like Zep and Hendrix too, but rarely any of the bands a true metalhead listens to . . .

Other than those, there's the station that plays anything - you might hear a country crossover song right after Nirvana, followed by Stayin' Alive - it's a true mix of stuff. There's the "alt rock" station that plays stuff like Coldplay and Barenaked Ladies. And then there's the "Top 40" type stations that just play what's popular, so mainly rap, hip-hop, whiny female ballads, and the occasional rock song.

There are non-rock stations too - lots of country, and "urban" formats that are mainly rap/hip-hop. Public radio here is mainly classical/news/talk format. And there's unfortunately stations that are JUST talk (usually politically conservative topics), or JUST sports (yawn).

But, nothing progressive. No station where I can listen to all the bands I like - both past and current.

Unless you go to satellite radio . . . but that's another story, and not in my budget right now . . . ;)

thehallway
Charter Member

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Internet stations are the closest we'll get. :(

I'm assuming you're familiar with Stellar Attraction?

http://www.stellar-attraction.com/
[8]

tardistraveler

Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:39 pm

Yes, I'm familiar with Stellar Attraction, and other Internet radio stations, but unfortunately, I can't get THOSE in the car, which is where I do most of my radio listening.

This morning was the "play anything " station, which is the only one that doesn't feature an annoying morning show . . . :rolleyes: Then my son put in a mix CD he had created.

thehallway
Charter Member

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:14 pm

I want one of those things that allows you to plug an iPod into your car. Trouble is you need a passenger to choose the songs for you :o
[8]

yesireebob

Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:14 pm

thehallway wrote:I want one of those things that allows you to plug an iPod into your car. Trouble is you need a passenger to choose the songs for you :o
Not if you just set it on shuffle. That makes it seem like your perfect radio station, no commercials and whatever comes up next, you are going to like it. You can also create playlists or set it to play everything you have by a particular band. It's surpisingly versatile in a car. My Honda came mp3 ready, has a connection in the glove box and you can control it using the stereo dial. My old truck has an after-market stereo that does the same thing, just had to get the connection installed in the glove box. You can also get one of those gizmos that uses unused air space on the local radio dial.

BTW, I saw that Chase commercial last night. Even though I read about it here, it still caught me totally by surprise to hear Your Move on TV!

tardistraveler

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:45 am

An iPod connection would be nice - I don't have one yet, but J.J. does, and he's got most everything loaded into it!

thehallway
Charter Member

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:43 pm

The trouble with the shuffle setting on my iPod is that concept where you shake the device to change the song. Its great normally, but if its fixed into your car, it changes song every time your turn a corner!
In a suburban area this lets you hear about 10 seconds of each song LOL
[8]

tardistraveler

Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:25 pm

iPods change songs if you shake them?

yesireebob

Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:14 pm

My iPod doesn't change the song on shuffle if you shake it? You have to forward to the next song, either on the device itself or off stereo in car if hooked up. Is that a new feature? Sure doesn't sound like a good one, especially if you are using it to work out or travel about.

thehallway
Charter Member

Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:02 pm

It is fairly new yeah, but its temperamental and as you say, not particularly useful (I'm sure it requires more energy than pressing a button as well). Its more of a novelty though; something you do over and over again when you get it because it impresses you, until you get bored and never use it again.
[8]

Chris2210

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:50 pm

I've never used the shake feature on mine - I do play-lists for the car for longer journeys.

What really annoys me is that I've got a stereo in the car with an MP3 connection in the glove-box, but it's literally that - MP3. The software/bluetooth features are co-written my Microsoft so it appears AAC files [which is the default, superior format in iPods] are deliberately not supported. I can still play my music via an FM transmitter, but the quality isn't as good as a direct link. I'd also be able to control it via the dashboard or even with voice commands if Bill Gates crew weren't curmudgeonly enough to prevent the most ubiquitous music player out there to be supported. Wonder why that is?
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

Chris2210

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:57 pm

On the subject of YesMusic on TV - one of the weather slots over here [I'm not sure if it's local or national - one of the main terrestrial channels in any case] is using a short musical passage from That, That Is as the introductory music.

Strange to hear it in that context and it took me a little while to work out exactly what it was from - I was thinking ABWH initially.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

thehallway
Charter Member

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:02 pm

A few months ago, the Barclays bank advert had the theme from The Big Country in the background. It took me ages to work out where I had originally heard it, which was of course in the Yes cover "No opportunity neccesary, no experience needed" where I still don't understand why it was randomly inserted...
[8]