Who should Yes tour with?

Summer 2008 tour talk, Yes concert reviews and other concert
discussions are here.
topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Who should Yes tour with?

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:09 am

I don't remember if there was any discussion here about this, I dunno, maybe there was, but what if Yes had the opportunity to tour with another band? Who would be your picks? I know probably many of you are thinking that Yes doesn't a supporting act or to headline a show with someone else, but if they did do that, who would be your picks? Dream Theater already toured with them thius past fall. Porcupine Tree torued with them 2 years ago. Kansas toured with them on the Masterworks tour. My dream show would consist of a day-long festival with Yes, Dream Theater, Rush, and King Crimson. It'll never happen, but it's just a fantasy. There some bands/artists that I feel could be great options to tour with Yes, such as:

The Polyphonic Spree
Rush
Peter Gabriel
King Crimson
The Mars Volta
Marillion
Asia (with Geoff guesting with Yes and Steve guesting with Asia)
Steve Hackett (with Steve Howe playing with Hackett on some GTR stuff)
Primus

That's all I can think of at the moment. How about you guys?
Ascend and Create!

CoinsAndCrosses

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:29 am

topographic_drama1980 wrote:I don't remember if there was any discussion here about this, I dunno, maybe there was, but what if Yes had the opportunity to tour with another band? Who would be your picks? I know probably many of you are thinking that Yes doesn't a supporting act or to headline a show with someone else, but if they did do that, who would be your picks? Dream Theater already toured with them thius past fall. Porcupine Tree torued with them 2 years ago. Kansas toured with them on the Masterworks tour. My dream show would consist of a day-long festival with Yes, Dream Theater, Rush, and King Crimson. It'll never happen, but it's just a fantasy. There some bands/artists that I feel could be great options to tour with Yes, such as:

The Polyphonic Spree
Rush
Peter Gabriel
King Crimson
The Mars Volta
Marillion
Primus

I like the Moody Blues, Kansas (again), Polyphonic Spree would be absolutely insane (I can see them with Yes singing the chorus to Hearts right now - wild!). I'm not a fan of Mars Volta though, didn't one of these guys die recently?...chris
"Imperial battleship... stop the flow of time!" - The Emperor of the First Circle of the Universe -Starcrash (1979)

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:05 pm

Yeah, for The Mars Volta, long time friend and sound manipulator/keyboardist Jeremy Ward died of a drug overdose not too long after De-Loused In The Comatorium was recorded. The Moody Blues wouldn't be too bad of a choice. I would really love for them to tour with Rush, though. It would be the concert of a lifetime.
Ascend and Create!

ImstillYesmam
Veteran Member

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:25 am

I like the Rush and or Asia idea.
Theres a time, and the time is now, and it's right for me,
Theres a word, and word is love, and it's right for me. [:yes]

relayer4u
Starship Trooper

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:39 am

No opening acts please!

I prefer my Yes in 3+ hour installments......

:D
Ray C. [:f3]

"This to just remind you, All is meant to be."

Roan's Lady

Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:46 am

relayer4u wrote:No opening acts please!

Agreed!
But if they had to tour with someone, it should be these guys:

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/adventmusic/advent.html

Shameless husband-promotion.
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

The Ancient
Charter Member

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:33 pm

I strongly recommend them, Amy's husband or not - they are amazing. I listen to this disc weekly.

HAMMAR

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:39 pm

Genesis! old style with Gabriel and Hackett if possible, that would be really awesome!

HAMMAR

Roan's Lady

Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:03 pm

The Ancient wrote:I strongly recommend them, Amy's husband or not - they are amazing. I listen to this disc weekly.
Do you, Mike? I'm so glad to hear that, and will let Alan know. They're working on a lot of new music now, which is in my opinion, better than what is on their first CD (although that material is great) - and I really attempt to be unbiased.
Thanks for the the support! :D
~moon safari

Roan's Lady

Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:04 pm

HAMMAR wrote:Genesis! old style with Gabriel and Hackett if possible, that would be really awesome!

HAMMAR

I would take that too, in a hairless heartbeat.
~moon safari

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:54 am

The Ancient wrote:I strongly recommend them, Amy's husband or not - they are amazing. I listen to this disc weekly.
While I do not have their CD yet, I have listened to the sound samples before and what I heard from them, sounds very cool! I actually remember visiting the band's site quite a few years back, I think 4 or 5 years ago, by searching for prog-rock bands on Yahoo! And so I come to find the wife of one of the band members here on YesTalk, well I found you quite a while back when I first joined, but I didn't even know it until now. I'm not just saying this, Amy, but your husband's band sounds good. And would be cool if they joined Yes on tour.

By starting this thread, I wasn't saying that they should have an opening act, I was just saying what if the band had to tour with someone, who would you pick? I think Advent wouldn't be too bad of a choice. :D
Ascend and Create!

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:57 am

Um, uh, ok. After checking out the website I discovered the CD is no longer available. Argh! I think I missed out on some great music. Well, maybe one day...
Ascend and Create!

Gary
Charter Member

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:21 pm

relayer4u wrote:No opening acts please!

I agree 100%. I loved them in the round with no opening act!

BTW, I saw Bowie early this past summer with The Polyphonic Spree opening for hi (and joining him for the encore). Boy, that was truly weird.

relayer4u
Starship Trooper

Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:57 am

Fresh from the reliable site:

http://www.bondegezou.demon.co.uk/wh_now.htm

It appears that a joint tour with the Moody Blues is being planned for 2005. An earlier report from a fan suggested that Squire, Howe and White were eager to do an early summer tour of the US, followed by east Asian and Australian dates. A separate report said plans for a possible Australian leg in 2004 had been put back to mid-2005 and there are further rumours of south-east Asian dates at the same time. South America, south-east Asia and South Africa have all been mooted as possible tour destinations in the last year or so and thus may be possible desitnations when touring resumes.

[} :) ] I'm ready!!!
Ray C. [:f3]

"This to just remind you, All is meant to be."

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:14 am

relayer4u wrote:Fresh from the reliable site:

It appears that a joint tour with the Moody Blues is being planned for 2005. An earlier report from a fan suggested that Squire, Howe and White were eager to do an early summer tour of the US, followed by east Asian and Australian dates. A separate report said plans for a possible Australian leg in 2004 had been put back to mid-2005 and there are further rumours of south-east Asian dates at the same time. South America, south-east Asia and South Africa have all been mooted as possible tour destinations in the last year or so and thus may be possible desitnations when touring resumes.

[} :) ] I'm ready!!!
Yeah, I saw that recently. That would be something if Yes played in South Africa. I don't think they've ever played down there in their entire career. I think it would be a real magnificent treat if Trevor Rabin were to join them, at least just for the South African part of the tour, especially since Trevor is from there and he was one of the most popular figures in that country in the 70's, due to him being in the band Rabbitt, who were pretty much the South African version of The Beatles. I know Trevor's doing his movie scores and stuff like that and I know I'm probably only dreaming again, but wouldn't it be awesome? I wonder what our new member Steven would think of that.
Ascend and Create!

shedend
Veteran Member

Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:00 pm

If any one has to share the stage Emerson,Lake and Palmer would be my choice then King Crimson.

Dave

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:18 am

I don't really see Keith, Greg, and Carl getting together anytime soon. That would be awesome if they did, though. King Crimson would be a really nice choice too.
Ascend and Create!

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:59 am

I guess the moody blues, ELP, Jethro Tull or Alan Parsons

Maybe David Gilmore

I liked the porcupine tree thing though it didnt last very long

they have a relationship with all those people

I do like my Yes 3 hours no opening act though

same way I like my Rush

and my Genesis

and my Robert Plant

those are the only ones Ive seen do it(3hours no opener) (besides floyd
fat chance they will tour again.)

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:08 am

It appears that the band will not be touring in 2005. A joint US tour with the Moody Blues for Jun/Jul was under discussion; in a Dec 2004 interview, White said that Yes would go out on tour again in Jun and management appeared keen for the band to tour again soon. However, plans have been ditched, reportedly blocked by Anderson. Various comments by Anderson have indicated his reluctance to tour; for example, a Jan report quoted him as saying, on being asked about whether he or Yes would tour in 2005, "No, I've got work to do."

same site
new info

only 3 original moody blues left hmmm

http://www.moodyblues.co.uk/intro.htm

well i saw them last summer and they were still good I couldnt see anything

but I though this sounded like a good match up when ray originaly posted it

no tour I guess
maybe an album
and a roger dean movie

yeskat
Starship Trooper

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:25 pm

If Yes must tour with someone (I prefer they don't) Moody Blues would be great. Saw them a couple years ago and they did great.

Even though Jon says 'no more touring', he's been known to change his mind. So I'm still hoping for a tour this year anyway.

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:22 am

yeskat wrote:Even though Jon says 'no more touring', he's been known to change his mind. So I'm still hoping for a tour this year anyway.

That's one thing that Jon has been doing an awful lot of for the past several years, changing his mind. For some reason he just can't totally make up his mind about what he wants to do or anything. No offense, but I could care less about a tour. An album would be fine. It's been way too long and I'm afraid they'll end up losing more fans than they already have. They haven't lost me as a fan, obviously, but I'm a little confused and concerned with the state of the band.
Ascend and Create!

Roan's Lady

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:02 am

I'd much, much rather a Yes album than a Yes tour. I want to see what they've still got in the studio, not onstage. (That goes for concert DVDs as well. I don't need 'em.) Here's hoping for some new material.
~moon safari

yeskat
Starship Trooper

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:26 pm

At this point, ANYTHING new would be great. But if I were to choose, I would also prefer an album also! Although I love DVD's, I want something I can play in the car, etc. I'm also just hoping YES still exists...

N2yes
Starship Trooper

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:16 am

An album period!<------Well, exclamation point, rather!
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

yesbunny

re: who should tour with yes

Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:35 am

hmmm...let's think about this....hmm...no one ever....little solo tours of everyone...little steve, little rick....not even an option, why take away from what
we all go to hear? after all, who could ever warm up our band? besides themselves? :D

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:03 am

topographic_drama1980 wrote:I don't remember if there was any discussion here about this, I dunno, maybe there was, but what if Yes had the opportunity to tour with another band? Who would be your picks? I know probably many of you are thinking that Yes doesn't a supporting act or to headline a show with someone else, but if they did do that, who would be your picks? Dream Theater already toured with them thius past fall. Porcupine Tree torued with them 2 years ago. Kansas toured with them on the Masterworks tour. My dream show would consist of a day-long festival with Yes, Dream Theater, Rush, and King Crimson. It'll never happen, but it's just a fantasy. There some bands/artists that I feel could be great options to tour with Yes, such as:

The Polyphonic Spree
Rush
Peter Gabriel
King Crimson
The Mars Volta
Marillion
Primus

Primus. Boy, that would be weird. :eek: And let's have the South Park kids on stage too. :D

I'd prefer new music at this point. And I think new music will be produced before they tour again. I also prefer no opening act. But, if I'd have to choose - Moody Blues.

Thoughtbecontact
Veteran Member

Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:40 am

wild_westie wrote:Primus. Boy, that would be weird. :eek: And let's have the South Park kids on stage too. :D

I'd prefer new music at this point. And I think new music will be produced before they tour again. I also prefer no opening act. But, if I'd have to choose - Moody Blues.

NO, NO, NO. Not the Moodies. As much as I loved them in their day!!! I saw them twice when Moraz was with the band and I saw them last year. Oh my, what a disappointment! The sound was very, very thin. Hayward and Lodge can still sing, but that's about it. The girl they got to replace Thomas is an excellent flautist, but they are still a shadow of their former selves. Yes, even running out of gas as they were toward the end of the 2004 tour, is still heads and shoulders over these guys.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH

thesage
Veteran Member

Yes with Renaissance

Tue May 10, 2005 4:32 am

Now if Annie Haslam, Mick Dunford could somehow resurrect the 1970s classic line up of Renaissance- that would be a great double bill-

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Tue May 10, 2005 4:50 am

thesage wrote:Now if Annie Haslam, Mick Dunford could somehow resurrect the 1970s classic line up of Renaissance- that would be a great double bill-

You could also include John Wetton playing bass, as he did for a very brief time.
Ascend and Create!

Thoughtbecontact
Veteran Member

Tue May 17, 2005 1:54 am

topographic_drama1980 wrote:You could also include John Wetton playing bass, as he did for a very brief time.
John Wetton played bass for Renaissance? I did not know that. When?
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH