House of Blues, Myrtle Beach, SC (12-6-2008)

Summer 2008 tour talk, Yes concert reviews and other concert
discussions are here.
Gary M. Thomas
Veteran Member

House of Blues, Myrtle Beach, SC (12-6-2008)

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:44 am

I have been kinda hesitant to post any personal review of this concert, due to my "mixed feelings" about the show.. but, here it goes:

First of all, let me say that the show was enjoyable. (Especially due to the fact that I was standing only about 6 feet away from the stage.) The House of Blues in North Myrtle Beach holds about 2,200 people, and they'd reportedly only sold a little over 700 tickets. It was by no means a sell-out concert. There were a number of songs which had been dropped from the original set list (Soon, Parallels & Heart of theSunrise</ST1 :p to name a few), I suspect... due to the demanding vocals of these tunes.

Jon Anderson was GREATLY missed. His supreme vocals are, IMHO, what gives Yes their amazing sound, and gives the music a quality which can never, never be duplicated. I've said it before, and I maintain my belief that Jon Anderson is the essential heart of YES. Without him, there simply is no YES.
<O :p
Okay, I will say that Benoit David did a nice job on lead vocals. He's definitely not Jon Anderson but, as a "temporary understudy" for the undisputed vocal Master, he sincerely passed the test. Although the tunes certainly did not have the unique Anderson quaility ... they were passable, and he hit the notes with few problems. I gotta give Benoit David credit.
Oliver Wakeman, while not having nearly the amount of keyboard mastery or stage presence his Dad possesses, was able to give a fine performance that night. I noticed that a number of his parts were not performed exactly the way Rick recorded them.... and a few keyboards' soundswere not the same as the original recordings (one example would be the synthesizer lead on "And You and I", which sounded kinda thin.) But overall, he was a suitable fill-in for Wakeman Senior.<O :p
Steve Howe... what can one say other thanWOW... hewas simply amazing. It was a real treat to be able to watch this him performing live once again. Some of the intricate guitar parts, which sound so complex on the recordings, were performed quite easily by Steve as he literally flew up and down the guitar. A true musical genius.
Chris Squire was a real "Showman" of the stage. He exuded tremendous stage presence (especially during "The Fish") Musically, he was unstoppable. A supremely talented bassist and vocalist, he was the most animated of all the band members. If you are able to attend this tour, I'd say you should definitely try to position yourself directly in front of Chris Squire.... I know that you'll enjoy his performance immensely.(I certainly did)<O :p
Alan White.. While I’ve always considered him to be a top-notch drummer… that evening, he was a Powerhouse. Never missed a beat, powerful, strong and 100% right-on with him tempos. He kept those complicated YesSongs in perfect timing, and performed an awesome drum solo during “Astral Traveller.” Excellent performance !

One really cool thing was that I was able to shake hands with Chris Squire and Alan White prior to the show. I was standing outside of the House of Blues Restaurant (which is directly across the courtyard from the HOB Concert Hall)... and suddenly, there they were walking out of the restaurant. That was a real delight for me. :D

So, as others have mentioned in their reviews, I had mixed feelings about the show. But, overall, I had a good time at the concert. Would've been 1000 times better if Jon and Rick had been there. ;)

.... <O :p
"Oh closely guided plan, awaken in our hearts"

Dr_Yes

Re: House of Blues, Myrtle Beach, SC (12-6-2008)

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:14 pm

Gary M. Thomas wrote:I have been kinda hesitant to post any personal review of this concert, due to my "mixed feelings" about the show.. but, here it goes:

First of all, let me say that the show was enjoyable. (Especially due to the fact that I was standing only about 6 feet away from the stage.) The House of Blues in North Myrtle Beach holds about 2,200 people, and they'd reportedly only sold a little over 700 tickets. It was by no means a sell-out concert. There were a number of songs which had been dropped from the original set list (Soon, Parallels & Heart of theSunrise</ST1 :p to name a few), I suspect... due to the demanding vocals of these tunes.

Jon Anderson was GREATLY missed. His supreme vocals are, IMHO, what gives Yes their amazing sound, and gives the music a quality which can never, never be duplicated. I've said it before, and I maintain my belief that Jon Anderson is the essential heart of YES. Without him, there simply is no YES.
Okay, I will say that Benoit David did a nice job on lead vocals. He's definitely not Jon Anderson but, as a "temporary understudy" for the undisputed vocal Master, he sincerely passed the test. Although the tunes certainly did not have the unique Anderson quaility ... they were passable, and he hit the notes with few problems. I gotta give Benoit David credit.
Oliver Wakeman, while not having nearly the amount of keyboard mastery or stage presence his Dad possesses, was able to give a fine performance that night. I noticed that a number of his parts were not performed exactly the way Rick recorded them.... and a few keyboards' soundswere not the same as the original recordings (one example would be the synthesizer lead on "And You and I", which sounded kinda thin.) But overall, he was a suitable fill-in for Wakeman Senior.<O :p
Steve Howe... what can one say other thanWOW... hewas simply amazing. It was a real treat to be able to watch this him performing live once again. Some of the intricate guitar parts, which sound so complex on the recordings, were performed quite easily by Steve as he literally flew up and down the guitar. A true musical genius.
Chris Squire was a real "Showman" of the stage. He exuded tremendous stage presence (especially during "The Fish") Musically, he was unstoppable. A supremely talented bassist and vocalist, he was the most animated of all the band members. If you are able to attend this tour, I'd say you should definitely try to position yourself directly in front of Chris Squire.... I know that you'll enjoy his performance immensely.(I certainly did)<O :p
Alan White.. While I’ve always considered him to be a top-notch drummer… that evening, he was a Powerhouse. Never missed a beat, powerful, strong and 100% right-on with him tempos. He kept those complicated YesSongs in perfect timing, and performed an awesome drum solo during “Astral Traveller.” Excellent performance !

One really cool thing was that I was able to shake hands with Chris Squire and Alan White prior to the show. I was standing outside of the House of Blues Restaurant (which is directly across the courtyard from the HOB Concert Hall)... and suddenly, there they were walking out of the restaurant. That was a real delight for me. :D

So, as others have mentioned in their reviews, I had mixed feelings about the show. But, overall, I had a good time at the concert. Would've been 1000 times better if Jon and Rick had been there. ;)

.... <O :p

Thanks for the honest appraisal Gary. Your review mirrors some others I've read and like you, I am missing the influence of Jon in the mix. I've been scathing of Yes' attempt to put on a tour without JA and Rick/Tony/Geoff/Patrick on board and what you say only adds to my general concerns I guess. I appreciate the good points but somehow there seems to be something 'missing' - and I don't just mean Jon's physical presence.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post.

Dave.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

Chris2210

Re: House of Blues, Myrtle Beach, SC (12-6-2008)

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks Gary - that seems a very honest and balanced review and I suppose given that, one can draw one's own conclusions... I like that - I don't think you get a better prespective. Thanks for sharing.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.