Chris' best bass idea

Want to talk about or review a YES album?
This is the place.
flowering
Veteran Member

Chris' best bass idea

Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:04 pm

What is the most beautiful bass-line or bass moment or bass whatever Chris ever did?
I think its heart of the sunrise after the intro
or some moments from magnification ...

style0

Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:53 pm

Fish Out Of Water, first note to last.
Ben Franklin discovered it, but it took Bob Moog to find it's proper use.

guilddigger
Starship Trooper

Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:13 pm

'on the silent wings of freedom'.
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges

happytheman
Charter Member

Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:12 pm

I'm with you on this one Flowering intro to Heart of the Sunrise

Independently Whole
Veteran Member

Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:48 am

The part that goes with "Speak to me of summer, long winters longer...".

The Ancient
Charter Member

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:25 pm

Onward was a great Chris moment. Tempus Fugit is great and I like it when he works it into the WhiteFish solo. You know, Roundabout has a killer Chris part to it... I have to agree with the others who say Fish Out of Water and Heart of the Sunrise. When Chris plays, I listen.

Dr_Yes

Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:42 pm

I just love the mad ascending bass line that accompanies Steve in the opening section of Close to the Edge - very demonic, very slick and technical, without needing to appear flashy.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

EricBliss12345
Starship Trooper

His work on Drama

Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:35 pm

Most everything Chris did on Drama I feel is his best work. He and Alan as a rhythm section on that album were just unbeatable. From those crazy runs in the mid-section of Machine Messiah, to his minimalist stompy notes on Does It Really Happen to the king of all Squire basslines, Tempus Fugit, Drama belongs to Chris.

Heart Of The Sunrise is also one of his most memorable bass moments.

guilddigger
Starship Trooper

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:37 pm

scraping that rose wallpaper off his rickenbacker! :)
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges

Vaguson
Veteran Member

Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:31 pm

Amen, Eric! I was hoping someone would mention Drama! Hello?! Does It Really Happen is one of the best riffs Chris ever wrote! HOTS, of course...and Parallels is rockin', too...
In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:35 pm

While most of the bass work on the Drama album, Heart Of The Sunrise, Parallels and Mind Drive are some of his best work, I can never, ever shy away from my all-time favorite Chris Squire bass moment, the Yessongs version of The Fish!!! It just blows me away every time I hear it. It just kicks ass!!!!
Ascend and Create!

khalpin
Starship Trooper

Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:39 am

Gates of Delirium. Towards the end of the Battle section. You kind of have to listen for it, but it's almost like a lead guitar line played on bass. So awesome. I'm singing it over and over in my head. Doesn't really translate too well into the written word, so I'm afraid I can't describe it all that well.

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:16 pm

SILENT WINGS opening
FISH (listen to Wembley)

relayer4u
Starship Trooper

Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:57 am

I believe he still has more to give us, so I can only think that buying the Rickenbacker was his best bass moment, so far!

[:yes]
Ray C. [:f3]

"This to just remind you, All is meant to be."

Evonce

Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:57 pm

- Pretty much everything he plays in "Does It Really Happen"

- "Heart of the Sunrise": again, whole song

- The opening and closing sections of "Siberian Khatru"

IWas Sam

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:23 pm

khalpin wrote:Gates of Delirium. Towards the end of the Battle section. You kind of have to listen for it, but it's almost like a lead guitar line played on bass. So awesome. I'm singing it over and over in my head. Doesn't really translate too well into the written word, so I'm afraid I can't describe it all that well.

You're right - great work on Gates and Sound Chaser as well.

BassBoy

Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:40 am

IWas Sam wrote:You're right - great work on Gates and Sound Chaser as well.

i LOVE Sound Chaser. i love it so much that i have 3 requests for it at different sites.

topographic_drama1980 wrote:I can never, ever shy away from my all-time favorite Chris Squire bass moment, the Yessongs version of The Fish!!! It just blows me away every time I hear it. It just kicks ass!!!!

YEAH! i love that as well. it is definetly one of the best Fishy moments of all time.
i know i stole my avatar, but i love that pic so much.
CHRIS SQUIRE RULES! [:f2] [:f1] [:f3] [}:)]

N2yes
Starship Trooper

Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:48 am

There are so many, but without committing yet, I'd have to congratulate Eric for bringing DRAMA to the forefront as well. The lion was exceedingly untamed on that effort! Hmm...that would, of course, go for Mr. White's efforts as well....that is if one were to exclude RELAYER which in all fairness, cannot righteously be done.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

Uncle Norm

REPLY: Chris' best bass idea

Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:28 pm

• Cooking up a Rick 4001 + Marshall Amp + Rotosounds to get that tone!
  • Incorporating Taurus Bass Pedals into both Live and Studio
  • All of Fragile, CTTE, Topographic, Relayer, and Fish Out of Water are pretty much perfection... He established himself as one of the great counterpoint writers in music -- the J.S. Bach of the Bass.
  • Close To The Edge
  • Intro Bass Pedals to "And You And I" Live/Yessongs version.
  • The Gates of Delirium
  • Sound Chaser
  • Tempus Fugit
  • Arriving UFO (!)
  • Live sound on the 1978 Tormato Tour...
And finally, there is a very quiet and sparse part in the beginning of side 2 of Topographic (The Remembering) where he plays a very gentle synchopated line that repeats... This is the first time the Bass enters duing the Verse section -- simply beautiful in it's approach as an ensemble player.

Tip of The Day:

The first King Crimson LP really made an impact on Genesis as well as YES. The opening riff & Bass Line from "Heart of The Sunrise" was basically ripped from King Crimnson's "Schizoid Man". At first Squire was worried that people might think it was too close an impersonation, but no one seemed to mind... King Crimson (probably then bassist Greg Lake) snagged the idea for "Schizoid Man" from the Mission Impossible TV Theme... And so it goes...

NB

Sidewinder_6

Re: Chris' best bass idea

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:01 am

1. The mid point of Foot Prints starting at 2:08 Awesome!

2. 5:18-5:30 on Homeworld (Right after Jon sings Hate destroys the soul of anyone who tries to teach it)

child-of-the-light
Veteran Member

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:19 am

I think one if his best works is Turn of the Century. It's just perfect.

But you have to love those Chris Squire solos like Amazing Grace and New World Symphony. That guy is a genius when it comes to arranging music, so I'm really looking foward to his upcoming christmas album.
Ride the tides of faith

squirtacious

Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:02 am

Thanks, thanks alot. I was going to go to bed, now I have to play a YES record first. Really it's ok I got a new tube amp.
?

ksdb

Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:26 am

Am new to the forum, but thought this was a cool discussion. You guys mentioned a lot of great -- and obvious -- choices. Have a been big fan of CS for a longtime. Sometimes it's the little things that really add great moments to Yes's songs. One early example is on Astral Traveler. First, he does the great counterpoint during the bridge and the part I really like is the ascending line just before the reprise at the end. Also, I like the uptempo section in Long Distance Runaround.

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:42 am

Ya know..I've avoided this thread for a long time because I think its about impossible to answer. I certinly agree with past posters that the things they all mentioned are highlights.....
Tempus Fugit-Silent Wings Of Freedom-Sound Chaser .....
I am still way too conflicted on this to answer honestly
lots of things on the Ladder too
what about Close To The Edge
Yeah I'll just shut the hell up now or this will go on forever.......
I like the Rickenbacker Idea...or just...his Idea to begin playin Bass in the first place! Chris is absolutely the best and I agree he could still do his best work in the future. he's so damn cool too! its like he's not even trying.
hats off to tony levin and geddy lee for some superb bass work but they ain't got nothin on ol fishy!

john mccleary
Veteran Member

Fri May 02, 2008 1:42 am

Long distance runaround. ;)

Squire*Fan725
Starship Trooper

Sat May 10, 2008 7:16 pm

topographic_drama1980 wrote:While most of the bass work on the Drama album, Heart Of The Sunrise, Parallels and Mind Drive are some of his best work, I can never, ever shy away from my all-time favorite Chris Squire bass moment, the Yessongs version of The Fish!!! It just blows me away every time I hear it. It just kicks ass!!!!

HELL YES!!

Let's see now...MY fave Squire basslines:

The intro to Survival
The intro to Beyond and Before
Heart of the Sunrise, after the intro
The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)
Most of Close to the Edge
Yessongs Fish
The solo on Ritual
Soundchaser towards the end (man, just how fast is he playin' that thing?!)
Fish Out of Water
Onward
Silent Wings
Tempus Fugit....

etc. etc. etc.

I could go on, but I think you get my point...
[CENTER][:f3] "I guess I'm bigger than I used to be!" - Chris Squire, 1-7-06, Vintage Vinyl.[:f1][/CENTER]

Coffee_&_Cigarettes
Veteran Member

Mon May 12, 2008 9:28 pm

I love the bass lines on Roundabout, and also the bass responses to Steve Howe´s Guitar on "Long Distance Runaround" are amazing lines!
I perceive Long Distance as a dialog between the Guitar and Bass.
Before Steve kicks in with the solo theme on the guitar of "the solid time of Change" and Jon goes "Da da" , seconds before that Chris does a simple yet brilliant bass line, i can´t describe it.
its just him running from the higher notes to the lower onesm...kind of sliding through the fretboard.
On "total Mass Retain" theres a part where Chris goes kind of Funky creating a interesting time signature and harmony.Just Brilliant stuff...The Man is God!

Chris2210

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:05 am

I remember just a few years ago listening to the live version of Gates on Yesshows and it suddenly striking me what a dazzlingly, dizzyingly fantastic job Chris and Alan were doing in terms of rhythm on that. Maybe easy to overlook behind the crazy, brilliant, flashy duelling going on between Howe and Moraz. But it really wouldn't work without that fabulous underpinning - and it's far from straightforward.

Other favourites people have already mentioned are the opening section to OtSWoF and the extraordinary sublety and restraint on all the Going for the One material (I used to almost dismiss Parallels, but as an exercise in rhyhmic punctuation, it's an extraordinary piece of music). But I'll just point out a particular moment from Magnification (the song) - there's the moment toward the end where Howe is playing rhythm and Chris just tops it off with a 'lead' bass figure that's just genius. Some people talk about the guys in Yes having huge egos, but for me it's the willingness (actually, it's more obviously enthusiasm to share centre stage and create a synergy of perfect complement between the virtuoso musicians. Chris needs to be able to be an exceptional bass player to hold his place in such company; and the others have to know it.

It's one of the principal things which makes Yes such a wonderful band.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

lonotes

Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:01 pm

flowering wrote:What is the most beautiful bass-line or bass moment or bass whatever Chris ever did?
I think its heart of the sunrise after the intro
or some moments from magnification ...

There's a lot of discussion about all sorts of bass lines and references to songs in this thread so I think I will approach this from a different angle.

Chris' best bass work I think happens within the context of Yes. Of course I like the bass lines on "Hold out your hand" and other material as well. But no musician is an island. There are moments within all Yes songs where each player has to give and take within the group. Is this difficult for a lead bassist? Not really if you realize the music is the focus rather than yourself. So I love to listen to the interplay between the parts and how each part compliments the others. This is what makes Yes the greatest band in the past quarter century. Not only do they blend well they do it with such a great artistic flair that I just want to quit playing bass. Not that that's ever going to happen; I just like listening to great artists do their thing and be humbled in the listening. Theres a one second riff at 6:12 or 6:13 in "To Be Over" that always catches my ear. It's not much but its perfectly placed. I never miss it even if I am doing other things as well as playing that song.
lonotes

syntfyd

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:25 am

I like the very end of AWAKEN when Chris plays those 5 same notes....slow.