The Album you had the hardest Time on Finding

Want to talk about or review a YES album?
This is the place.
Coverall
Veteran Member

The Album you had the hardest Time on Finding

Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:56 am

I don´t know if it happened to you, but in the place I live in is really hard to find and buy music, I spend almost 6 years since I listened to Relayer to the day I finally bought it, some thing similar happened to me with Olias of Sunhillow, only that with that one I spended almost 10 years trying to find it.

Embarasing I know...
Greetings from the Third World...

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:08 am

It took me a while to find Olias as well, about 3 years. I saw it on amazon.com as an import but I knew it was available locally in America here. I was finally able to pick it up a year and a half ago when I went to NYC. I bought it at the Virgin Megastore.

I kept trying to find 9012Live-The Solos. I still can't find it anywhere and on amazon.com, it's too expensive for my taste.

Also, I kept trying to find Trevor Rabin's stuff with the South African rock band Rabbitt. On the One World music store website, http://www.oneworld.co.za they only have "The Hits" and that's all. There are two other albums with Trevor, "Boys Will Be Boys" and "A Croak And A Grunt In The Night" and they are unfortunately not available on CD at all, just LP, if you're lucky enough to find it. They have this thing where you can do a currency exchange but I have no clue how the hell it's done.

I remember seeing on the Rabbitt webpage on http://www.rock.co.za that the album "Boys Will Be Boys" was released here in America bak in 1975, but I've never been able to locate it. Oh well. Maybe somewhere down the road. It's strange to say this, but sometimes really great music is actually worth the wait.
Ascend and Create!

Coverall
Veteran Member

90125 Live - The Solos

Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:51 am

I have seen this album, in a local record store called "El Duende", but you are right, it is a little to expensive for everybody´s taste.

khalpin
Starship Trooper

Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:58 am

Things are a different now with the internet, but before that the hardest things I had finding....

Suspiria soundtrack
Steve Howe album
S.O.D.-Speak English or Die (I was about 15 years old, what can I say....)

Things I've had a hell of a time finding and still haven't found yet...
Pro-shot Tales from Topographic Oceans concert video
Pro-shot Lamb Lies Down On Broadway concert video

happytheman
Charter Member

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:41 am

Coverall, There are various internet sites offering a pretty wide range of obscure or should I say "not within the mainstream" music. My favorite is CDUniverse.com I have ordered dozen's of albums that you simply cannot find (in my area) in your local stores.

tardistraveler

Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:45 pm

khalpin wrote:Things are a different now with the internet, but before that the hardest things I had finding....

Suspiria soundtrack
Steve Howe album
S.O.D.-Speak English or Die (I was about 15 years old, what can I say....)

Things I've had a hell of a time finding and still haven't found yet...
Pro-shot Tales from Topographic Oceans concert video
Pro-shot Lamb Lies Down On Broadway concert video

Yeah, things ARE different with the internet - with a bit of searching, you can find most anything these days, either new or used.

Back in the days of vinyl, most everything was available here in Nashville right after its release. And I had a friend who worked for a record distributor - she actually got me Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth the day BEFORE its official release! :D

But, when I was first trying to convert my vinyl collection to CD, there were things I couldn't find. Fortunately, I ran into an old acquaintance who had opened a CD store, and could order everything available if he didn't stock it. That's how I got my Japanese imports of Olias and FOOW. And our musical tastes were very similar, so he'd tell me when new things were available, and order for me.

Coverall
Veteran Member

Guatemalan Prog Heads...

Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:59 pm

You are right, with the internet is a lot diferent, and it is better for you guys, you see, I live in Guatemala, and if, just if the online store has delivery aaaalllll the way to this little country, the price is well, just to much for me, so I have to order via the local music stores, and the catalogs they have, well, if you are looking for J. Lopez, C. Aguilera or B. Spears, you´ll find even the most extrange things, but in prog rock, well we are the Few, the Proud, the Guatemalan Prog Heads...

Vaguson
Veteran Member

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:07 pm

Talk is only 10-11 years old, and even the special edition is hard to find...I have the album, but man what a pain it'd be to get it now...NO online music store I've found/used sells it either! They sell like every other album except that one!
In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.

Coverall
Veteran Member

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:09 pm

I just got it two or three days ago, but a friend of mine gev it to me as a late christmas gift, I try to get out from him where did he get it but he just won´t tell.

tardistraveler

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:28 pm

Coverall wrote:You are right, with the internet is a lot diferent, and it is better for you guys, you see, I live in Guatemala, and if, just if the online store has delivery aaaalllll the way to this little country, the price is well, just to much for me, so I have to order via the local music stores, and the catalogs they have, well, if you are looking for J. Lopez, C. Aguilera or B. Spears, you´ll find even the most extrange things, but in prog rock, well we are the Few, the Proud, the Guatemalan Prog Heads...

Love this post! I'm proud to know a Guatemalan Prog Head! :D

If there's something in particular you're having trouble finding - post it here, maybe one of us could help you locate it . . . ;)

Coverall
Veteran Member

Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:15 pm

If there's something in particular you're having trouble finding - post it here, maybe one of us could help you locate it . . . ;) [/QUOTE]
Thank you, really, don´t mind if I do, but right now I´m filled up, qith albums (with the hollydays and all), so when I need something I´ll ask.
There is a saying here in Guatemala that it goes like this "Quien no Chilla no Mama" That who Does not Cry will not suck un the tit. :D

perpetualchanger
Starship Trooper

Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:29 am

Hardest to find - Olias, hands down. Now I have 2 copies: the one I imported from Europe, and a Japanese copy I acquired in a Jon Anderson package I bought from a fellow fan.

Easiest - The Ladder. You can find it for around $5 if you know where to look. Crying shame, because for the most part it's a damn good album.
Michele Hriciso
My personal site:
http://www.bikerbitchblog.com

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:14 am

perpetualchanger wrote:Easiest - The Ladder. You can find it for around $5 if you know where to look. Crying shame, because for the most part it's a damn good album.
Actually if you go to any of the FYE or TransWorld-owned stores (Strawberries, Coconuts, FYE, etc.) they have the older BEYOND issues of The Ladder on sale for $4.99, along with the old Magnification. It is quite a shame that these are in the "bargain bin."
Ascend and Create!

marco

Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:05 pm

"9012Live" was the hardest album to find for me. It took me some years to find the expensive Japanese import.

Radiojen

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:53 pm

Really Marco? I got that one back in 1985? I remember having a hard time finding Tormato. Then my stepdad found it at some record dealer for $20.

So Marco, you don't to be an Adam Ant fan, do you?
Father love. Do you work? Do you work for mother?

GProopdog2005

Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:28 pm

This is an old topic but:

It was literally impossible for me to find the albums "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe" and "Union" for the longest time.

I searched numerous stores, and they all had the same Yes albums, but not the ones I was looking for.

Finally, one day in a Mom and Pop CD store way out of town, I was able to finally find ABWH.

Still have yet to find "Union"

Tomfoolery

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:03 pm

Actually, I've had no problem finding whatever Yes music I was looking for. However, I spent over 10 years looking for a copy of Lou Reed's first solo album after he split from the Velvet Underground. Finally found it and paid handsomely for it (probably 15 years ago)... the guy wanted 21 bucks for it and I talked him down to 15. It's kinda beat.. some pops and scratches, but no skips. GREAT album.
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"

Tomfoolery

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:11 pm

Oh, by the way.. the reason I was looking for that album is because Rick played keys on it. Amazing the people he's played keys for...........

Coverall
Veteran Member

How does it sounds

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:11 am

It is intresting, to find out that Rick played with Lou Reed, how does it sound? is it good?
You may think I´m an ignorant Dean, but I have never heard Lou Reed...

Tomfoolery

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:20 pm

Coverall wrote:It is intresting, to find out that Rick played with Lou Reed, how does it sound? is it good?
You may think I´m an ignorant Dean, but I have never heard Lou Reed...

The album IS good, in a fairly straightforward rock kinda way. Heavy distortion is used liberally, and the hallucinogenic / narcotic influences are very prevalent.. he really carried over the sound of the Velvet Underground into that album. I haven't listened to it in a number of years, and it'll never see REGULAR rotation in my playlist, but when I'm in the mood for it, I'll put it on and really enjoy it. :)

I really enjoy Lou Reed's stuff in low doses... it can be kinda depressing, as he does seem to focus on the negative aspects of life in the city.. the drug abuse, death (natural and otherwise), crime, sexual perversity, etc etc.. but it's really well written and he definitely catches the grit and intensity that I feel belongs in rock and roll. Plus, life is NOT all sunbeams and rainbows. There's a significant amount of rain and cloudiness in it, and Lou Reed captures that aspect of life very well.

I guess you could say he and Jon are on complete polar opposite sides of the life prism. ;)

Coverall
Veteran Member

Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:03 pm

Thanks for the Hint Dean, I will take a look, or a listen into him, I think it is worth a try...

soul warrior
Veteran Member

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:08 am

my hard to find cd's were the solo works. olias, fish out of water. got imports for both of those (japan and germany). jons 3 ships was really hard to get. there is still one that eludes me and that is alan whites "ramshackled". a great cd! i have the vinyl but i'm not setup to listen to vinyl anymore. if anyone knows were i can get a reasonably priced copy of ramshackled i would love it! occassionally it shows up on ebay for about $100.00....ouch.

happytheman
Charter Member

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:19 pm

soul warrior wrote:my hard to find cd's were the solo works. olias, fish out of water. got imports for both of those (japan and germany). jons 3 ships was really hard to get. there is still one that eludes me and that is alan whites "ramshackled". a great cd! i have the vinyl but i'm not setup to listen to vinyl anymore. if anyone knows were i can get a reasonably priced copy of ramshackled i would love it! occassionally it shows up on ebay for about $100.00....ouch.
I remember buying all of the "Yes solo" albums in the cut out section when they were first released. (Obviously not heavy sellers in 1976). Somehow lent my copy of Fish out of Water and never have found a vinyl copy sense but on the lookout for it. CD Universe has all of the Yes solo albums except Alans. Reasonable price. The one album I had (and again lent it to someone at some party) was Jan Hammer's Like Children. Tremendous album. As far as I know it never was released on CD. So I still search used album shops for it.

perpetualchanger
Starship Trooper

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:59 am

I had to import Olias from Europe, and somehow I also wound up with a Japanese version.

I had a hell of a time finding, of all things, a replacement copy of 90125.

The least trouble I ever had finding a Yes album was The Ladder. I always saw millions of copies of it everywhere for $3 in the bargain bin. Shame, shame, because it's a pretty good album!
Michele Hriciso
My personal site:

perpetualchanger
Starship Trooper

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:03 am

perpetualchanger wrote:I had to import Olias from Europe, and somehow I also wound up with a Japanese version.
Scrolled up, found the answer to my somehow posted much closer to the date it actually happened. Gotta love YesTalk!
Michele Hriciso
My personal site:

happytheman
Charter Member

Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:05 pm

happytheman wrote:I remember buying all of the "Yes solo" albums in the cut out section when they were first released. (Obviously not heavy sellers in 1976). Somehow lent my copy of Fish out of Water and never have found a vinyl copy sense but on the lookout for it. CD Universe has all of the Yes solo albums except Alans. Reasonable price. The one album I had (and again lent it to someone at some party) was Jan Hammer's Like Children. Tremendous album. As far as I know it never was released on CD. So I still search used album shops for it.
I just found Chris's Fish out of water last week in "mint" condition for $1.00! However it had been so long since I had heard it, upon the first "revisiting" the music I scratched my head as far as "what's the big deal?" Maybe I saw something in it during that period in time. But for me Jon's "Olias" album was the best of the bunch, followed closely by Patricks "I". Then I would place Ricks "Criminal Record" next in line then it would be a toss up between Steve's Beginnings (which has some very bright moments), and Alans "Ramshackeled" and "Fish out of Water". It just seems to me that on side two of Fish, Squire goes on way too long with "Safe". And to think right after this he contributed his best effort ever with "Parrells" on the Going for the One album! Go figure.

relayer4u
Starship Trooper

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:48 am

happytheman wrote:I just found Chris's Fish out of water last week in "mint" condition for $1.00! However it had been so long since I had heard it, upon the first "revisiting" the music I scratched my head as far as "what's the big deal?" Maybe I saw something in it during that period in time. But for me Jon's "Olias" album was the best of the bunch, followed closely by Patricks "I". Then I would place Ricks "Criminal Record" next in line then it would be a toss up between Steve's Beginnings (which has some very bright moments), and Alans "Ramshackeled" and "Fish out of Water". It just seems to me that on side two of Fish, Squire goes on way too long with "Safe". And to think right after this he contributed his best effort ever with "Parrells" on the Going for the One album! Go figure.

That last line is a joke, right? His best effort ever?
Ray C. [:f3]

"This to just remind you, All is meant to be."

happytheman
Charter Member

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:49 pm

In terms of songwriting sure. Parallels is a rocking tune!

sojun

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:49 pm

90125 Live - Solos

It's the only one still missing from my collection.

Squire*Fan725
Starship Trooper

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:17 am

Both my Fish Out Of Water and Olias CDs...

I had a helluva time finding these, but as luck would have it, there was this music store that opened right down the street from my house, which seemed tp specialezed in Yes stuff...Sadly, the store is no longer there.
[CENTER][:f3] "I guess I'm bigger than I used to be!" - Chris Squire, 1-7-06, Vintage Vinyl.[:f1][/CENTER]