Next album (if there is one)

Want to talk about or review a YES album?
This is the place.
topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Next album (if there is one)

Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:48 am

What do you all think the next album, if there will be one, will sound like? I'm thinking it'll have a little more of a rock feel, kinda almost like Drama, which was started up by the same three men who are actually ready to go back into the studio, Steve, Chris, and Alan. Judging from the few bonus tracks on Drama of just those three playing (Go Through This and Song No. 4 (Satellite)) and the track Crossfire, from In A Word, they kinda meant to go into that direction anyway. I remember seeing an interview with Steve, saying that there will be strong elements of rock on the next album. If Trevor Horn is supposedly producing it, I'm sure it'll have a touch of 70's and 80's Yes with an obvious more modern feel. I just hope that if this will be the last album Yes ever makes, that they'll go out with a bang!

Your thoughts, please.
Ascend and Create!

Thoughtbecontact
Veteran Member

Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:13 pm

My feelings are pretty much the same as yours, except that I would like to add that I do believe that Chris will really come to the forefront in this release, if it does happen. Trevor Horn is a bassist--and that's going to give Chris a kick. IMHO, Drama is his strongest overall Yes work, so expect another one with Trevor in the producer's seat and Steve on guitar would have the same feel, but, as you are hinting, much edgier.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH

Roan's Lady

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:24 pm

I have no idea what the next album will be like, but my hope is that the keyboards are more in the forefront and the lyrical subject matter is a bit less, er...dippy in places.

hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:14 am

To be really honest, I'm hoping for a concept album. Yes has really ever done only one concept album and that was the excellent 1973 double album Tales From Topograhic Oceans. I'm not saying they should have a similar concept as that, but something completely. I really don't think age should be an issue with this band. I know how old the band members are, but you're really only as old as you feel. I'm pretty damn sure that Steve feels young again when he plays those blistering solos at the end of South Side Of The Sky, during the ending guitar/keyboard battle. I know this isn't 1972 or 1973 anymore, but who says it can't be like it? If Yes were to make one last album, I'd want it to be a conceptual piece.
Ascend and Create!

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:15 am

Not just a conceptual piece but a conceptual MASTERPIECE.
Ascend and Create!

N2yes
Starship Trooper

Trevor Horn's bass skills...

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:20 am

are not much, truth be known. Now, when producing, his ear for bass will likely be a boost for Chris as we have seen in the past ( I believe that's what you're inferring ).

TBC, you take great effort in concealing your 'contacts'. Apparently, you have access to just about everything going on with the band, so why not reveal what you know instead of hitting us with these sporadic little snippets here and there. Understand that pretty much anyone can go 'round saying they have the inside scoop on things. Delight us further, if you will, and lend some authenticity to your 'corrections' and 'insights'.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:53 am

I know Trevor's not the best bassist in the world, but he can sure as hell groove. :cool:
Ascend and Create!

Thoughtbecontact
Veteran Member

Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:03 pm

N2yes wrote:are not much, truth be known. Now, when producing, his ear for bass will likely be a boost for Chris as we have seen in the past ( I believe that's what you're inferring ).

TBC, you take great effort in concealing your 'contacts'. Apparently, you have access to just about everything going on with the band, so why not reveal what you know instead of hitting us with these sporadic little snippets here and there. Understand that pretty much anyone can go 'round saying they have the inside scoop on things. Delight us further, if you will, and lend some authenticity to your 'corrections' and 'insights'.
If you're implying that I'm talking out of the side of my mouth, or out of my rear end, for that matter, I'm not. I have a friend who is getting the same heat elsewhere on the Internet for saying the same things. No, I don't know everything thats going on with the band, but I do know some things. There's a lot of uncertainty right now, I will say that. But until something is actually published somewhere in the media, I'm not saying more. Deals need to be inked yet--and until then, they remain rumour--and I'm taking tht same stance in the forum that I moderate too.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH

tardistraveler

Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:07 pm

N2yes wrote:are not much, truth be known. Now, when producing, his ear for bass will likely be a boost for Chris as we have seen in the past ( I believe that's what you're inferring ).

Chris, I know a bit about TBC's contacts, and she's probably not at liberty to say anything specific about who they are. But, I'm sure she IS getting some inside info - what actually shakes out remains to be seen . . .

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:48 am

I check out Henry Potts' website http://www.bondegezou.demo.co.uk every now and again. I dunno where he gets all his info, but man, he gets it in detail, most of the time. Especially after Jon's Rockline show, the info was on that site almost immediately! :eek:
Ascend and Create!

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:49 am

Sorry about that bogus link. Here we go again...

http://www.bondegezou.demon.co.uk
Ascend and Create!

N2yes
Starship Trooper

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:20 am

Very good then. One can't be too careful these days. No offense intended. I will be absorbing every syllable of your posts in unbridled anticipation of what I hope will be good things to come.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

innerPact
Veteran Member

Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:12 pm

i like the idea of an edgier effort but more than Drama, i'd love the new album to follow in the footprints (pun intended) of the KTA studio releases. i just got a new PC with a kick-ass sound system and i just can't get enough of Mind Drive and, to a lesser degree, That, That Is. the lyrics might not be vintage yes/Jon but the energy and freshness of the sound is exhilerating.

i think a return to the Trooper-era sound is too retro and nostalga-act-ish while Ladder is too poppy and Mag should be left as a one-of-a-kind offering.

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:42 pm

innerPact wrote:Mag should be left as a one-of-a-kind offering.
Yeah, and hopefully not the LAST offering as well. I just don't feel that Magnification totally gets the credit it deserves. Sure, it does seem kinda retro in some place, but in my view it seems to be, overall, a very forward-looking effort. Please don't let Magnification be the last Yes studio album!!!
Ascend and Create!

Scaramouche
Location: Cose to the Edge of the Topographic Ocean, atop a Fragile Ladder.

Going out with a bang.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:03 pm

I along with all yes fans, wish a new album soon, but with Jon and Rick dithering around like a couple of lost kittens, it looks like new songs are not even in the pipeline yet...apart from the Roger Dean movie ones of course.

If we want their next and possibly their last album to be a mindblower, then we ought not to try and put too much pressure on them, and give them the time and space to get this masterwork off the ground.

Come on Jon, sort it out will ya!!! and Rick, sit at that piano and do some yes work.

Scaramouche xx
[:yes]

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:49 am

Hey, welcome to YesTalk, scaramouche. Wow, it seems as if we've been getting a lot of new guys/girls at this site. IMO, the more, the merrier.
Ascend and Create!

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:52 am

Like I said before, I'm patient enough to wait, but how much longer will it be. It's been too long since Yes released an album (2001). Hell, remember the huge gaps in between 90125 and BG (4 years) and also BG and Union, not counting the ABWH album (3 1/2 years)? Please, guys. Give us at least one last rocking album!!!!
Ascend and Create!

Thoughtbecontact
Veteran Member

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:05 am

topographic_drama1980 wrote:Like I said before, I'm patient enough to wait, but how much longer will it be. It's been too long since Yes released an album (2001). Hell, remember the huge gaps in between 90125 and BG (4 years) and also BG and Union, not counting the ABWH album (3 1/2 years)? Please, guys. Give us at least one last rocking album!!!!
Well, I think these guys have more than one album left in them--it depends on how long they all last, how long their collective health holds out. To me, that's the defining factor. What bothers me is the apparent discord, the apparent uncertainty of what is going to happen next. Heck, how long have we been waiting for Syn dates? Not that I'm as thrilled as some are regarding this project, but even that appears to be some of the same old, same old.

The thing is, there is a very loyal fan base waiting for a new work...and the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. They all know this.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:11 am

Patience is a virtue, my dear! All we can do is do what we've been doing for the last 3 years, be patient, while pulling our hair out at the same time. :jestera:
Ascend and Create!

jgshetz

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:40 pm

I find these lulls to be good times to explore rarely heard sections of my archives, or maybe not play Yes at all for awhile. Then, when I do play it again, it seems fresher.
I too hope that they have at least one more in them. The KTA studio tracks, the last inspired by the classic lineup, were headed in a good direction, I think. Rick's contributions stood out in my mind. He's missed on Magnification, as unique as that CD was.
I am also worried about the apparent disconnect of late, and hope it is just a byproduct of spending the better parts of the past 5 years on the road.
We all dread the day we see the news that the end has come (again).
For now, I'll try to be realistically optimistic, and take news of ongoing projects of all kinds as a positive sign.
I speak from some sort of protection of learning, even though I make it up as I go on

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:07 am

You know, I AM a big fan of the band (obviously, if I'm here ;) ) and I thought Magnification was an excellent album... but even with all that said, I hardly ever even think about whether or not Yes will put another disc out! And when I do, I'm certainly not 'pulling my hair out'. :p

I will say that the odds of them doing another new 'normal' studio album are pretty miniscule. The new stuff is going to be on things like this new Roger Dean DVD (so why is everyone whining about 'new songs' when they will have some for that project??) and compilations... I don't blame Yes when their last studio album probably sold less than 40,000 copies worldwide!!

Thoughtbecontact
Veteran Member

Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:43 am

topographic_drama1980 wrote:Patience is a virtue, my dear! All we can do is do what we've been doing for the last 3 years, be patient, while pulling our hair out at the same time. :jestera:
Me thinks you're bald by now!
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH

flowering
Veteran Member

Sun May 01, 2005 12:52 pm

Meanwhile i realy doubt that there will be another album :(

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sun May 01, 2005 3:14 pm

While trying not to sound too negative, I would be disappointed if Yes never made another album again, but if they don't then at least we all know they had quite an interesting history and a big headache (that's just being polite :) ) of a history at that. Some of the stuff that happened with the band, while at time very serious, seems rather Spinal Tap-ish, in a way. Like Jon said on his website, Spinal Tap was Yes, and every other band that was. And the music that Yes has made, no matter with which configuration throughout their 37-year history, will last forever.
Ascend and Create!

hennie552001
Charter Member

Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:33 pm

topographic_drama1980 wrote:What do you all think the next album, if there will be one, will sound like?
Your thoughts, please.
Have no idea, maybe they will take us all by surprise with something completely different! (Honestly, I hope not)

But what I most of all hope they do what they are really good at: making real Yes music, with accoustic and electric music blended the Yes-way:
Beautiful, melodic accoustic parts (NOT cheezy) and really ROCKING electric parts. Long songs, long instrumental parts, plenty of harmony singing.
And those deep, meaningless lyrics.

Is that so much to ask for??
and the flowering creativity of life, wove it's web ...

happytheman
Charter Member

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:55 pm

I can remember to this day being in a record store when the guy behind the counter announced to everyone in the store "Moraz is out Wakeman is in" (Mind you this was when a store full of people actually knew what he was talking about). As I continued to look through stacks of albums my mind could not help but think hmmmm where will Yes go after Gates? Where were they when Wakeman was last at the helm? To make a long story short the opening notes on Going for the One confirmed my greatest expectations that Wakemans return was a very GOOD thing. Fast forward a bunch of years, Igors out Brislin is in, Brislin is out Wakeman is in..... I have a very good feeling about this one. Go ahead and come up with all of the downsides of the "news" you have heard recently, for myself I choose to continue to hold out hope. What with Howe Squire and White "rocking out" this summer that only spells GOOD things ahead. I fully expect a very CREATIVE output from the band on their next album.

Vaguson
Veteran Member

Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:54 pm

Hope springs eternal...They may surprise us yet...Wakeman's made over a hundred solo albums, he can't be out of ideas YET.
In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.

flowering
Veteran Member

Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:12 pm

right now it seems to me as there will be no new album soon. if they want to make another album they would stick together for creating.

but white makes solo stuff. so does howe and anderson. the core of the band is even on tour with the buggles now.

no time to make a yes album it seems.

thrill

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:41 am

Trevor Horn to produce Yes? I'll believe it when I see it. They do need to work with a good producer again. I believe that in recent years Steve Howe has alot to say as far as the direction of the next studio cd. I'm afraid that may leave Rick by the wayside. Yes, they have made some great records together. But it is no secret the Steve was not happy with the production on ABWH which tended to highlight Rick, while Rick was unhappy with the final production of Keys To Ascention studio stuff which was heavy on the guitars. It would be nice to find some two capture both as they did in the old days. Actually, in my opinion, Chris Kimsey did that with ABWH-- but I doubt Steve would work with him again. At any rate, it would be a real shame if this line-up didn't hold together and record something after the last two brilliant tours which clearly proved to show the ultimate line-up. Hope they don't go back to the 80's rock sound--I don't necessarily think that if Geoff Downes came back on keyboards that they would return to that style or sound. They all have chaged and their styles have chaged. It would be exciting though. I do think they should only make another cd if they find a line-up and or a producer that gets them motivated and excited about new music. Steve howe seems to have no problem pumping out solo material--so it seems like he has an endless pool of ideas to draw from. I would like to hear new material that plays around his acoustic stylings--as was the case in the older years and that was revisited on Keys Studio stuff. That along with Wakeman's playing are two main ingrediants to Classic Yes material.

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Vangelis feel

Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:46 pm

I'd like to hear something more akin to Vangelis' album Heaven and Hell. Jon sang on this in one part "Long ago , so clear".
Of course, I wouldn't want the whole album to sound like this, but the overall theme would be reverberant synthesizers, banks of string sound and mellotrons maybe.
No lyrics referring to cell phones or relationship problems....
A few rock songs with souped-up guitar like "Parellels". Some acoustic stuff and lots of "voids". Steve could play effects-laden mandolin and vachalia(ie, insturment on "Your Move") Solo parts should be anything but typical.
Cover art : combination of Dean and photographs.
Free glow-in-dark poster and sample of YES breakfast cereal inside
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]