Next album (if there is one)

Want to talk about or review a YES album?
This is the place.
child-of-the-light
Veteran Member

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:57 am

I truly believe that if Trevor Horn produces the next Yes album it could be amazing. With Rick back in the band you already know that its going to have more of a classic Yes feel. I would love to see what happens if Rick and Trevor work togeather. I only hope that they dont go too far with the whole acoustic deal. Yes it was a realy cool idea and sound, but I think they have gone about as far as they can go with it. As for the thoughts on their last album, I hope to god they use the 'Union' lineup and give us one last great tour. Lets hope that doesnt happen any time soon.

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:52 am

No offense, but I wouldn't hold your breath about the Union lineup ever coming together. To me, it seems highly unlikely they'll go down that route again. Not that I'm being negative, I just don't see it happening.
Ascend and Create!

gothic17

Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:19 pm

I am new on this forum and i wonder, how many people believe, that Wakeman is a good composer. Well, try and listen to some of his records. Most (not all!) of it is trash. And with Yes he got only few credits. He's always been the one who plays along, not a great composer at all.
Yes always were a guitar and bassguitar band. Rick wouldn't be a great help for new Yes Music at all.
What Yes needs is fresh blood, like Trevor Rabin was in the early 80s. If they were able to create something new, with Chris putting his arrangement-qualities in, and also could get Trevor Horn as their producer, they could do more then just one last Yesalbum together. If the stuff sounded good, Jon would be back in a second! No special keyboarder required at all. Never wondered how Tony could handle all those live-shows back in the 80s?
i am not crying for 70's Yes. then they were brilliant, but now they need a change. i still believe, that even Steve could bring the change. like his style he played in GTR or ABWH. "Edgy", i read somewhere in this Topic. That feels good to me!
Reaching out beyond and before

hennie552001
Charter Member

Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:43 pm

gothic17 wrote:I am new on this forum and i wonder, how many people believe, that Wakeman is a good composer.
I think his first albums, Six Wives, Journey, King Arthur, No Earthly Connection shows he is quite a good composer. And he has done a lot, esp. on Fragile, that he never was credited for due to contract agreements (Parts of Heart of the Sunrise, South Side of the Sky). But I think his most important contribution to Yes has been as a keyboard player and arranger. As Bruford once said: Rick could always make your naff little idea into something special.
and the flowering creativity of life, wove it's web ...

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:33 pm

I don't have any "inside knowledge" as to where Yes will be going with their next project. I can merely speculate and offer what I hope they'll produce. They're probably in the pre-production phase ~ bouncing around ideas. Maybe a few songs have already been composed. With this in mind, I think that they will start working on a new album in 2006 with a tour to follow in 2007. Personally, I'd like to see the classic line up ~ Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakman and White. I hope this album will sound like their older material and not the poppy tunes that were hits on the charts. But, most importantly, I hope that they take their time and produce and album that they're pleased with.

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:35 pm

whoops. Wrong thread. Damn!

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:36 pm

Whoops, correct thread. Damn again!

Thoughtbecontact
Veteran Member

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:33 am

I think we're going to be damned lucky to see anything new! :(
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:07 am

As much as I try to be optimistic about this, and seeing how there's supposedly not going to be any Yes activity going on until 2007 from what we hear, I just have this feeling that the band is pretty much done for, at least it's what it feels like. Until I'm proven wrong, this is the way I'm going to feel about it. Sorry, everyone, but I truly feel like the band is finished. I mean, I know they needed a break, but this long?! Come on now! :confused:
Ascend and Create!

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:11 pm

Thoughtbecontact wrote:I think we're going to be damned lucky to see anything new! :(

I've heard the opposite. :)

perpetualchanger
Starship Trooper

This is what I don't get about Yes

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:41 am

Now, you guys who have been around a while know what a Yesnut I am. Those of you who don't, hang on 'cause I'm going to take you for a bit of a ride here.

Since I stopped doing my internet radio gig, my information has dried up. I no longer get access to Steve Howe every year or so when he puts out a new solo album. I no longer hear snippets from my well-connected colleagues. (I still pine after Mike Portnoy, though, and that will never change! :D )

Anyway ... I started to say it nearly a year ago, and I have yet to hear anything to indicate that my feelings should change. I just have a feeling that these guys aren't getting back together and that's a crying shame.

They can go be creative with everyone else but each other, it seems, and without each other what kind of careers would they have had anyway? Didja just get the visual of Jon standing on a street corner with a tip jar in his hand? Then you know what I'm talking about.

Yes should not be reduced to the level of lame '70s tribute band. I don't want to go see Yes at the 4th of July festival in downtown Orlando or at the local bar where people routinely puke on the floor and it never really gets cleaned up. Or even at the county fair. ESPECIALLY at the county fair!!

I've only seen Yes twice in my life, and that's not very much for a die-hard fan such as myself. Once was during the Talk tour, and I don't even like Trevor all that much but he was a member of Yes and I got to see him. Then I saw the welcome-back-Rick tour in 2002. It seems like freaking yesterday, but it was 3 years ago. They were talking about putting an album out with new material back then, and it has yet to grace my CD player.

I just don't get Yes at all anymore. They are a group in the technical sense of the word, but where is the joy in that?

Sure, I get excited when Steve releases a new solo album - probably more excited than anyone here, because Steve is the man as far as I'm concerned. (Anyone who can be questioned by me for two hours and not die from the shock is the man anyway!) I never could keep up with all of Rick's releases, and I have everything Jon's ever recorded with anyone outside of Yes. This thing with Chris and the Syn is looking almost full-time to me. And I'm still dying to hear that second solo album from him and Alan both!

You can love Yes to death without liking the direction they're (not) taking right now. At this point, they could come out with some Godawful piece of death metal with Jon screaming into a vocoder and it would at least be a step in the right direction.

I remember how some people were really being hard on Magnification when it came out, and it was a wonderful album for me because I didn't even know Yes was still recording until I found Magnification while browsing around the music section at Kmart.

You slammed it then, but how many of you would take another Magnification now, after all this time?

I would.
Michele Hriciso
My personal site:
http://www.bikerbitchblog.com

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:31 am

Yeah, like I said before, I think the band is pretty much finished. With all the stuff each of the members have recorded or written within the past few years, especially since Rick rejoined, you would think that they would have put out an album by now. I was so excited when Rick came back to Yes in 2002, so excited that I immediately expected an album sometime in the near future. I think we're still waiting. I know these guys aren't getting any younger. I know that fully well. It's just kinda strange that people try to justify that these guys need a break. I know they've been touring consistently since 1997, but didn't write stuff while on the road back in the 70's? Yes they did. Now, I know these guys are only human and to me, eveyone wants to do something within the band, but it seems to me that the only person holding the band back is Jon. I know he's promoting his one-man show and all, but come on now! Magnification came out in December 2001, while you lucky bastards overseas got it in September. :jestera: All because of some shitty marketing decisions by their management and record company, something that Yes is no stranger to at all (ex. Victory Music, Beyond, Arista, even Cleopatra). Hell, right now I'm with you, Michele, I'd rather Magnification part 2 rather than no new Yes album at all.

It just doesn't seem like the band is that much of a "band" anymore, if you know what I mean. Are they not on good speaking terms, is there any bad blood between certain members? I'm just trying to understand what's going on here. I still love the band and all the music (well, at least 90% of it, anyway) they've given us, hell, Yes and Rush are my two absolute favorite bands on the face of the earth, but right now I have to go with Rush. They have so much going for them at the moment and they're back to making music and touring regularly and they even put out a covers album nearly two years. Why doesn't Yes do that, with the way they take certain songs and reconstruct them and still keep the lyrics and some of the melodies intact? It seems to be the new thing with older bands, doing covers albums, Rush and Styx, for example.

I love Yes very much and if they're not together anymore like they used to be, why don't they just say it? It would be kind of strange if the guys got together in the studio and said "The next two people to show up will be in the band," kind of like with what happened during 1980 when they recorded Drama. I know it's not that cool to think something like that, but I'm sure the band wants to make music again, it's just Jon's holding them back. That's my opinion, anyway.
Ascend and Create!