IDEA: A Yes album of cover songs...

Want to talk about or review a YES album?
This is the place.
Sheba

IDEA: A Yes album of cover songs...

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:23 am

I've been toying with this idea for a while, and I think -though Yes should do another album of their own material- that it could be really neat if they did an album of cover versions of other people's songs.

No, not "Yes Sings the Old Standards", like Rod Stewart.. This idea could work. Just hear me out.

It really could be a get back to their roots sort of thing, when on those first albums they did their own expanded versions of Beatles, Paul Simon, etc.. and gave them the "yes treatment". I remember reading someone saying how the band had lost their way in the late 70's becuase they forgot that Yes was a "treatment", and by Tormato they sort of had run on the mill songs that just sat there..

I don't know what songs they could do, but I bet they could whip it out in a couple of weeks- Though it might be embarassing for them to do Britney Spears or something, it could be really cool for them to to their take on something.. who knows? It could be the coolest album since Pat Boone covered a bunch of heavy metal songs in "In a Metal Mood".. And even Johnny Cash did Nine Inch Nails- Would be fun to see Yes cover something like that, and it would get them in touch with their style, and at least with their own roots.

Any thoughts? Has this idea ever come up before?

-Sheba

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:55 am

A covers album would be fine, but I probably wouldn't listen to it much.... I've only spun Rush's Feedback once or twice! Not cuz it's bad, but if I put on Yes I want to hear Yes songs! :)
But as a cool, one-of-a-kind thing, might not be bad... then again, with all of the covers Yes has done live ("I'm Down", "Gimme Some Lovin") or in studio (first two albums) over the years, you could probably put together a good 45-50 minute CD with that stuff alone!

Dr_Yes

Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:49 pm

psychopomp95 wrote:A covers album would be fine, but I probably wouldn't listen to it much....
But don't you think that covers such as America, Every Little Thing, I See You etc. show that Yes can take a song and mould it into a Yes song? I quite like the idea of them covering stuff purely becuase they would - no they COULD - successfully rework Pretty Vacant into a 30 minute piece and play it live with a stageset of inflatable black and white condoms and we'd love it. ;)
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

Terry Shea
Charter Member

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:26 am

[quote="Dr_Yes"]But don't you think that covers such as America, Every Little Thing, I See You etc. show that Yes can take a song and mould it into a Yes song? I quite like the idea of them covering stuff purely becuase they would - no they COULD - successfully rework Pretty Vacant into a 30 minute piece and play it live with a stageset of inflatable black and white condoms and we'd love it. ]
I agree with America and Every Little Thing (the studio version), but after hearing their renditions of I'm Down and Gimme Some Lovin' I really have to wonder why they even bothered. Also the live version of Every Little Thing from the last tour did absolutely nothing for me.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:29 am

Terry Shea wrote:I agree with America and Every Little Thing (the studio version), but after hearing their renditions of I'm Down and Gimme Some Lovin' I really have to wonder why they even bothered.
Really?! I thought both of those were really good!! I mean sure, they don't have the 'depth' that their original stuff does, but they're just rock-and-roll party songs after all! Fun stuff anyway!

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:34 am

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks their cover of "America" is rather gratuitous?? I MUCH prefer the original version! I don't actually dislike hearing theirs, but it's hardly a high point in my mind. Even that long solo of Steve's that everyone raves about is pretty ho-hum to my ears.
Mind you, I guess I've never been a big fan of his soloing anyway... :p Which would explain it!

Dr_Yes

Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:34 am

psychopomp95 wrote: Mind you, I guess I've never been a big fan of his soloing anyway... :p Which would explain it!
GET OUT! GET OUT I SAY!

BLASPHEMY!

BURN HIM, BURN HIM.

;)
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

Terry Shea
Charter Member

Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:59 pm

psychopomp95 wrote:Really?! I thought both of those were really good!! I mean sure, they don't have the 'depth' that their original stuff does, but they're just rock-and-roll party songs after all! Fun stuff anyway!
They're unimaginative, repetitive 3-chord songs that the band did nothing to change from the original. So why did they bother?
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron

perpetualchanger
Starship Trooper

Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:50 pm

psychopomp95 wrote:Oh, and am I the only one who thinks their cover of "America" is rather gratuitous?? I MUCH prefer the original version!
I don't like the original at all. But you and I are usually on opposite sides of the fence anyway. :D
Michele Hriciso
My personal site:
http://www.bikerbitchblog.com

guilddigger
Starship Trooper

Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:15 pm

i have always wanted to hear a yes version of "lucy in the sky with diamonds".
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges

soul warrior
Veteran Member

Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:18 am

....ok , i'm gonna take a shot at this. remember if you throw a bunch of them out there you may come out with one or two.

middle of the road - pretenders
hole hearted - extreme
bigger than my body - john mayer
poetry man - pheobe snow
sketches of pain - tears for fears
beyond the sea - bobby darin
on the western skyline - bruce hornsby
accidentally like a martyr - warren zevon

well i hear 'em in my head anyway...:-))

IngnoZac
Starship Trooper

Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:12 am

I'd pretty much like to see Yes covering Dream Theater. It's a good payback, huh? Like Ytse Jam, or even Under a Glass Moon, which has a very steve-ish solo.

Or, they could play Murka also, that Russian tradittional song. :D

Renato
If you read this line, remember not the hand that wrote it
Remember only the verse, songmaker`s cry, the one without tears
For I`ve given this its strength and it has become my only strength.

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:21 pm

guilddigger wrote:i have always wanted to hear a yes version of "lucy in the sky with diamonds".

The big question is . . . would it be as good as the William Shatner version? :eek:

soul warrior
Veteran Member

Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:15 am

fragilesi wrote:The big question is . . . would it be as good as the William Shatner version? :eek:

that is awesome!!! have you heard him do "mr bojangles"?

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:05 pm

soul warrior wrote:that is awesome!!! have you heard him do "mr bojangles"?

Yes, but I've never heard any interviews with him and I'm still wondering if he takes his "singing" seriously or if he really believes that he is a singer . . .

soul warrior
Veteran Member

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:54 am

fragilesi wrote:Yes, but I've never heard any interviews with him and I'm still wondering if he takes his "singing" seriously or if he really believes that he is a singer . . .

shatner is such a character. i even like him on that new lawyer show. but check out a movie called "Free Enterprise". a must for shatner fans. its a goof on the real shatner, starring shatner!

IWas Sam

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:19 pm

psychopomp95 wrote:Oh, and am I the only one who thinks their cover of "America" is rather gratuitous?? I MUCH prefer the original version! I don't actually dislike hearing theirs, but it's hardly a high point in my mind. Even that long solo of Steve's that everyone raves about is pretty ho-hum to my ears.
Mind you, I guess I've never been a big fan of his soloing anyway... :p Which would explain it!

I love the Yes version of America (and I am a fan of the original as well). I thought they laid an egg with Gimme Some Lovin' however.

relayer4u
Starship Trooper

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:01 am

I thought the Rush covers were a waste of my time, recorded and live.

America via Yes kicks ass though!
Ray C. [:f3]

"This to just remind you, All is meant to be."

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:42 am

psychopomp95 wrote:Oh, and am I the only one who thinks their cover of "America" is rather gratuitous?? I MUCH prefer the original version! I don't actually dislike hearing theirs, but it's hardly a high point in my mind. Even that long solo of Steve's that everyone raves about is pretty ho-hum to my ears.
choke excuse me while i pick my jaw off the floor..........

actually it isnt a bad idea

Rush just did the same thing and its selling real well as an ep

they went and recorded older songs Yardbirds-the WHo -buffalo springfield
that they learned while .....learning
and its a darn good listen
still sounds like rush
but sound like those songs too

i wouldnt mind Yes doing something similar

but the idea for the roger dean movie
looks better

maybe to keep fingers loose in the meantime though this would work

i wonder if they wouldnt be seen as trying to copy rush
(which wouldnt nessisarily be a bad thing-rush has alot better marketing sense)

Vaguson
Veteran Member

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:13 pm

Interesting idea...for me, it would depend on which songs they cover...
In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.

Vaguson
Veteran Member

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:15 pm

And if you mean doing that before they do something else in the near future (Such as a *gasp* NEW ALBUM), then I say FUGEDDABOUDIT.
In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.

Gary
Charter Member

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:05 pm

IWas Sam wrote:I love the Yes version of America (and I am a fan of the original as well). I thought they laid an egg with Gimme Some Lovin' however.

Quite a while ago, Howard Stern played Leonard Nemoy doing his rendition of Creadance's: Proud Mary. It was hysterical! They were taking bets to see if was going to pronounce the burning as "boining".....which he did!

Gary
Charter Member

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:10 pm

After much thought, I think YES would do a superb version of Jethro Tull's, thick as a brick. Now that's an epic if I've heard of one.