Tormato...

Want to talk about or review a YES album?
This is the place.
Coverall
Veteran Member

Tormato...

Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:24 am

I got really sick this past few weeks, and I had to go to my parents house to keep my wife and future son, out of reach of this bug, and I didn´t brought any of my albums (a bad idea really), but my father is a prog fan too, and I got him Tormato for a christmas for or five years ago.
Any ways I was listening to it and I got in love with it again, I don´t know about you but this is one of my favorites, even when it did not get good critics, and they say it´s not the YES sound, but for me is a great YES album, and out of that a really great prog album, I mean, Release, Release is great, is powerful, is armonius, is a great drum show off, a great use of a Les Paul, and don´t forget the bass, what a great bass.
What are your toughts about it?
Greetings from the Third World...

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:28 pm

Among the best Yes albums

there are so many with so many different styles

I can see how some might gravitate toward certin era or album

I like tormato ALOT

Roan's Lady

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:28 pm

I hadn't listened to Tormato in a couple of YEARS!

Then I heard a few cuts from it last night on Stellar Attraction. And you know sumpin'? It was gooood, very good!! Going away and coming back sometimes puts a fresh persepctive on things. :)

hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

Coverall
Veteran Member

Beutiful Album

Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:23 pm

I had a while too, and rediscovering it was a great experience.
I don´t feel attracted to an especific YES era, I really like the all, with the exception, in some level because I like them also, with 90125. Big Generator and Talk. As a musician, I felt drawn to this band because of the elaborated music they play, and they show the greatnes of their skills on every album.
TORMATO, well I met this one in a music listening party in a country house of a friend, this house is like a cabin, in the middle of the woods here in Guatemala, we get together once a month and we bring our new stuff, to listen all and exchange CD´s. Any ways, I listened this album and was fascinated, and was the second YES album I ever owned and brought with my own money, I always wonder if I could upgrade it to the extended edition, because i am very fond of that album.

Vaguson
Veteran Member

Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:15 pm

I have always liked Release, Release; it's got a lot of energy...
In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.

Gary
Charter Member

Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:18 pm

I think Don't Kill the Whale Rocks. Great Drum and Great guitar! I really liked what they did with this song this past summer. It sounded great and visually, it was awsome.

Coverall
Veteran Member

Don´t Kill the Whale

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:57 am

Well, another great one from YES, and the TORMATO album, the sound is so peculiar and strong, the guitar is great and the vocals are felt by Jon as he sings it.
The keyboard solo at the end is great, as the final vocal piece.

The Ancient
Charter Member

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:19 pm

A great album and a great tour. If you were around in '79 there were plenty of chances to see them...when they were gods.

Vaguson
Veteran Member

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:58 pm

I wish I had been able to catch some of those old shows...unfortunately, I wasn't even born yet!
In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.

Coverall
Veteran Member

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:01 pm

The Ancient wrote:A great album and a great tour. If you were around in '79 there were plenty of chances to see them...when they were gods.

I was around at the time, but, the fact that I live in Guatemala, and the fact that I was a new born at the time, made it difficult for me to go to the shows...

The Ancient
Charter Member

Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:19 pm

...then please allow me to share my experience with you. It was May 31, 1979. I was 21 years old. I took along a rented Pentax with telephoto:

http://www.forgottenyesterdays.com/date ... 24&navb=10

Mike

The Ancient
Charter Member

Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:21 pm

Hmmm. If it does'nt take you to the photos, click on Tormato, shows, Ft. Worth, Texas 5-31-79, and my photos are the first 4 or 5.

Coverall
Veteran Member

You Surely SHOT the band there

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:42 pm

Hey, you were beaing modest when you said "the first 4 or 5 photos", you took a lot of pics that night, great pics too, I sure wish I could be in a yes show, this is the first time I get to look at pictures taken from the audience point of view, I´m sure you spended one hell of a night.
Thank you for sharing those pictures, it gave me an idea of what is to be in a Yes Show...

thesage
Veteran Member

High Ideals & Low Energy

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:54 pm

High Ideals & Low Energy... thats how Jon described Tormato on the YesYears doco. I think it shows- there are some great ideas on the album but think its just a little inconsistent- unfortunately, as Ive mentioned before, its poorly mixed and overly compressed. Probably a sign of the era- I was hoping for a complete remix rather than a remaster- I'm not sure whether Picasso is from this period or the ill fated PAris sessions but its a shame it didn't see the light of day- would have added a bit to that album

Coverall
Veteran Member

Well...

Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:53 pm

That is another point of view, not everybody, likes the album, but for some of us (me included), is a great album. This past Saturday I was talking with a friend of mine, about YES, and when we came down to Tormato, he said that "is not the best YES work, but they have the fame of doing the perfect music", so even if they did not put all the energy in it is a great album.

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:25 pm

I think it's a great album, although not with the best cover art by a long shot, a lot of that materail still holds up very well. I remember seeing on Jon's website in the picture he even said by the picture (of the band inside the cover) that they were going in different directions. :jestera: It certainly does show, doesn't it?! I dunno, I'm hoping that whatever the band records next will have some rock in it. After all, Yes is a rock band. They came close with some of the stuff on Magnification: Dreamtime, Magnification, Can You Imagine (Steve actually played some rocking power chords!!!), and Spirit Of Survival, some pretty rockin' stuff there.

My all-time favorite on Tormato is Future Times/Rejoice. It's a nice little mini-epic. Arriving UFO seems a little disjointed, although it is a decent song.
Ascend and Create!

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:51 pm

I really loved "Tormato" when it was first released. I had the album and the 8 track. I haven't listened to it in YEARS as well. I have the CD and I plan to give it a spin today. Oh, the memories will come floating in.

Coverall
Veteran Member

Hope you enjoyed...

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:03 am

wild_westie wrote:I really loved "Tormato" when it was first released. I had the album and the 8 track. I haven't listened to it in YEARS as well. I have the CD and I plan to give it a spin today. Oh, the memories will come floating in.

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I had in those awfull days, as Roan´s Lady said, it´s grat to come back to the past some time, you enjoy it much more.

LoveJon
Veteran Member

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:43 pm

The Ancient wrote:...then please allow me to share my experience with you. It was May 31, 1979. I was 21 years old. I took along a rented Pentax with telephoto:

http://www.forgottenyesterdays.com/date ... 24&navb=10

Mike

Oh mah goodness! What an amazing treasure trove of photos! Thank you so much for posting that link.

thrill

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:52 am

It is one of my favorites--probably the album that first introduced me to Yes. I can't for any reason understand why they won't play anything live from it other than Don't Kill The Whale. Realese, Release or esp The Silent Wing Of Freedom----wow that would be something to hear live. A true classic.

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:03 am

I just listened to this again recently and it really made me rediscover my love for Silent Wings Of Freedom. Great song!!! It's an awesome album, but Topographic Oceans is still my favorite Yes album.
Ascend and Create!

moorglademovers

tormato

Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:36 pm

My first ever Yes purchase,the album,my first ever Yes 'listen', courtesy
of a school friend back in the 70s.I REALLY OUGHT TO THANK HIM!
For years i would only listen to the 'A' side, yeah i know...vinyl.
Now i listen to and enjoy all of the album(cd...wow!), but my certain favs on this album are Future Times/Rejoice,Madrigal and Release Release.
At last, the way, I'll protect you when your lonely

By guiding you 'round

thesage
Veteran Member

Tormato

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:08 am

I would do a cmplete makeover on this album's production- I always thought it sounded a bit thin. Some of Steve's and Rick's sounds could be beefed up, as could the drums- where are the hi-hats??? I'd add in the lovely acoustic with slide guitar version of Picasso- get Roger to desgin a new logo and rename the thing Yes-Tor as Steve Howe originally suggested it be called!

happytheman
Charter Member

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:47 am

thesage wrote:High Ideals & Low Energy... thats how Jon described Tormato on the YesYears doco.
Check the video he was referring to Tales. Tormato reminds me alot of what other progressive bands of that era were doing. Record companies were asking for "shorter" more "radio friendly" music. Thus the shorter song format.Gentle Giant(The Missing Piece) went that direction as did ELP (Love Beach).Hell PinkFloyd left the 10-15 minute epics for The Wall (30 songs) and they even got a number 1 "hit single with a bullet) out of it. I personally really enjoyed Tormato. And Coverall if you ever get a chance to get the "extended" version of the album there are more "extras" than the original. A beautiful version of Onward without vocals and a couple of songs Jon ended up using on some solo albums.

Coverall
Veteran Member

Extended version

Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:57 am

Well a friend of mine has it, I really wasn´t really entrested on it but I will give it a spin, if I like I buy...

wild_westie
Starship Trooper

Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:29 am

I did love the Tormato tour. I must confess, I'm not fond of "Don't Kill The Whale." I've really tried my best to get into this song. But, I just don't like it. My favorite songs on Tormato are "Future Times, Rejoice" ~ epic!and "Onward" ~ what a beautiful love song. Those are my few gems on Tormato.

perpetualchanger
Starship Trooper

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:56 am

wild_westie wrote:I did love the Tormato tour. I must confess, I'm not fond of "Don't Kill The Whale." I've really tried my best to get into this song. But, I just don't like it. My favorite songs on Tormato are "Future Times, Rejoice" ~ epic!and "Onward" ~ what a beautiful love song. Those are my few gems on Tormato.
Don't Kill The Whale is a great song, with the exception of the damned whale sounds.

Steve, Chris and Alan did some really cool stuff on Tormato, and in doing so laid the groundwork for Drama. Jon and Rick seemed to be playing in a different band and not even the same other band at times.

I think the only somewhat proggy track on Tormato is Silent Wings. With a bit more polishing, what a great song it might have been instead of just pretty good.
Michele Hriciso
My personal site:
http://www.bikerbitchblog.com

john mccleary
Veteran Member

Re: Tormato...

Fri May 09, 2008 3:22 pm

Saw tormato tour in dallas.Furture times will always stand and see. Drifting Drifting. ;) [:yes] :) .

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Fri May 09, 2008 5:12 pm

Vaguson wrote:I have always liked Release, Release; it's got a lot of energy...
probably my favorite too

UnionLover

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:52 am

Tormato's not a bad record by any means, but I find certain sections of it a bit twee, and I felt some of the lyrics had a rare but noticeable throwaway quality. I actually really like the artwork though!