Yes Remixes SUCKS!

Want to talk about or review a YES album?
This is the place.
perpetualchanger
Starship Trooper

Yes Remixes SUCKS!

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:54 pm

I am a bit of a purist when it comes to Yes music, so I never wanted to listen to Yes Remixes.

I'm sorry I did.

I was checking out the new (legal) Napster last night and Yes Remixes was available for download, so I downloaded it.

ICK! Made me just want to throw up.

Maybe if it had been Rabin-era songs it wouldn't have been so bad, because a lot of those songs would sound good remixed (look how many remixes there were of Owner!) but I can only listen to Sound Chaser being tortured so long before I just have to stop listening.

(Yes, I know, Virgil Howe wouldn't have done Rabin-era remixes but he should have.)

The only one that had any merit at all was No Opportunity, and that's a danceable song anyway. So to punch it up a bit was all right. But you won't find me spinning this disc at a party anytime soon.

If you haven't heard it, you're not missing much. If you have, you have my sympathies. I hope it didn't make you want to cry, because it made me want to cry.
Michele Hriciso
My personal site:
http://www.bikerbitchblog.com

Kalingzeye

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:36 pm

Bought it a few months ago... actually, I quite enjoy it. Gives me a chance to listen to YES, but still switch things up a little. No, it's not a YES masterpiece, but it never really claimed to be anything awesome or outstanding. It's just remixes of YES songs... for some reason I really like it. :rolleyes:

Roan's Lady

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:13 am

perpetualchanger wrote:I am a bit of a purist when it comes to Yes music, so I never wanted to listen to Yes Remixes.

I'm sorry I did.

I was checking out the new (legal) Napster last night and Yes Remixes was available for download, so I downloaded it.

ICK! Made me just want to throw up.

Maybe if it had been Rabin-era songs it wouldn't have been so bad, because a lot of those songs would sound good remixed (look how many remixes there were of Owner!) but I can only listen to Sound Chaser being tortured so long before I just have to stop listening.

(Yes, I know, Virgil Howe wouldn't have done Rabin-era remixes but he should have.)

The only one that had any merit at all was No Opportunity, and that's a danceable song anyway. So to punch it up a bit was all right. But you won't find me spinning this disc at a party anytime soon.

If you haven't heard it, you're not missing much. If you have, you have my sympathies. I hope it didn't make you want to cry, because it made me want to cry.

I haven't heard it and don't intend to. I'm guessing it's ohhhprettypoor...

Nice to see you, Michele! :)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:14 pm

I listened to it and didn't like it a whole lot. There are two reasons for this really, I am also a Yes purist at heart though it does gall me to admit it because it makes me feel a little narrow-minded.

Having said that I love the way that Fragile have interpreted some of the Yes songs . . .

The second reason though is I simply don't have much time for dance music. I think it's acid test is, would it make a dance fan seek out the real versions? If it does, even for a small percentage then I think it's a success. Unfortunately I'm not qualified to answer my own question.

Terry Shea
Charter Member

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:54 pm

I thought it would be cool to hear different versions of Yes songs, so I bought it. Yuck! What a mistake that was! Many of these songs aren't even recognizeable and the whole thing is absolute garbage! Perhaps that's a little unfair because to be honest, I have never been able to listen to it all. It should be retitled Virgil Butchers Yes or something along those lines.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron

Andrew Moore

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:34 am

It would have been a more interesting mix if someone like Bill Laswell was given the opportunity assuming that he would be interested. He would have gone back to the original master tracks instead of the cut and paste type of mix that Steve's son has resorted to. I must say I don't mind them but I have to be in the mood and remember that they are not true remixes but rather staid early nineties computer cut ups. I don't listen to them as Yes songs but as someone else putting them in another time and space. There may be better mixes being done in someone's bedroom it just happens to be Virgil Howe. This is the music business at work providing exposure to an offspring of Yes.