Is there a yes album that hasn`t worn well with you?

Want to talk about or review a YES album?
This is the place.
Mr. Stout
Veteran Member
Location: dividing time between Staten Island N.Y. and Freehold N.J.

Is there a yes album that hasn`t worn well with you?

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:15 pm

There was a revelation for me recently and it wasnt a good one.I was traveling to work one day and I decided to slip in `90125' into the cd player. This was an album I have defended form time to time.
Now I dont know if my tastes have changed, but I was left shuddering after listening to this. Perhaps Im so conditioned by the classic Yes albums of yore and their organic sound that 90125 left a jarring effect on me.
Yes, I know the album gave them a second career, and for that, Im grateful. There is no argument that the album put Yes back on the map. If Yes didnt have this second career, thay would have been like ELP. Quite huge in the `70`s, but if you were to ask people about them now, you may get a `huh?' response
Its ordinary pop/rock dressed up with 1980`s studio gimmickry gloss. The processed drums and cheesy synth pads left a jarring taste in my mouth as if I was tasting cold cuts, or even worse , one of those TV dinners, especially the frozen turkey that`s akin to floor mats.
I always held to my opinion that City of Love is one terrible song. Its musically impoverished and that bass line just grates. The inane repetitive pounding. It gives me a migraine. The song just goes nowhere.
`Leave it' was cheesy disco dance music. Yes, the boys harmonize nicely, but I can understand how Steve Howe freaked initially when he heard this album.. But times were different and Yes had to roll along withe changes.
And Hearts is just one of those saccharine tunes that is driven by a $45.00 Casio keyboard that you can purchase at your local radio shack.
After all this, I look at Topographic oceans in a new light. It may be drawn out and didactic in places , but there is a Yes quality that makes the album very distinct . That album has aged much better than it`s detractors realize.
Tastes change unfortunately or fortunately over time.
My point is this; Do you have a Yes album that hasnt worn well with you???

coalescestudionyc
Veteran Member

Re: Is there a yes album that hasn`t worn well with you?

Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:45 pm

For me, it's "Open Your Eyes." Then again, I never really liked it when it first came out and my opinion hasn't changed that much since. It was released at around the same time as "Keys To Ascension 2," which I listen to constantly. I thought "Open Your Eyes" had weak songs but a great sound--the only album I have that opinion about. When I saw them on the "Open Your Eyes' tour, they only performed two songs from the album, which I took to mean that the band was not too thrilled about the album, either.

But that's just me...

Michael

Kalingzeye

Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:58 pm

Actually, for me it was always the very first one, YES. They hadn't quite found their sound yet and it always freaked me out. I dunno if I've got more than a very few listenings out of it, ever. >w<;;;; My fav track on that is "Every Little Thing", but that's about the only one I can consitently stand to listen to. But yeah, the tracks always seemed so raw and hard around the edges, it was just hard for me to like as much as any of the other albums. It definitely rubs me the wrong way, hehe~ much as I hate to admit it~ :p

Roan's Lady

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:37 pm

Mr. Stout wrote:There was a revelation for me recently and it wasnt a good one.I was traveling to work one day and I decided to slip in `90125' into the cd player. This was an album I have defended form time to time.
Now I dont know if my tastes have changed, but I was left shuddering after listening to this. Perhaps Im so conditioned by the classic Yes albums of yore and their organic sound that 90125 left a jarring effect on me.
Yes, I know the album gave them a second career, and for that, Im grateful. There is no argument that the album put Yes back on the map. If Yes didnt have this second career, thay would have been like ELP. Quite huge in the `70`s, but if you were to ask people about them now, you may get a `huh?' response
Its ordinary pop/rock dressed up with 1980`s studio gimmickry gloss. The processed drums and cheesy synth pads left a jarring taste in my mouth as if I was tasting cold cuts, or even worse , one of those TV dinners, especially the frozen turkey that`s akin to floor mats.
I always held to my opinion that City of Love is one terrible song. Its musically impoverished and that bass line just grates. The inane repetitive pounding. It gives me a migraine. The song just goes nowhere.
`Leave it' was cheesy disco dance music. Yes, the boys harmonize nicely, but I can understand how Steve Howe freaked initially when he heard this album.. But times were different and Yes had to roll along withe changes.
And Hearts is just one of those saccharine tunes that is driven by a $45.00 Casio keyboard that you can purchase at your local radio shack.
After all this, I look at Topographic oceans in a new light. It may be drawn out and didactic in places , but there is a Yes quality that makes the album very distinct . That album has aged much better than it`s detractors realize.
Tastes change unfortunately or fortunately over time.
My point is this; Do you have a Yes album that hasnt worn well with you???
The only difference between your thoughts and mine where 90125 is concerned is that I felt them from first listen. Just the title and the cover alone was enough to dismay me. And the music, for the most part - soulless. Not for lack of trying - heaven knows I nearly wore out that vinyl in an attempt to capture the Yes magic. But then, they'd always captured me, not vice versa.
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

N2yes
Starship Trooper

Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:49 pm

Nada one
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

ronburns48

Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:02 pm

not really worn, but close to being to commercial. having started going to yes concerts in the early '70's, i've watched and listen to a great deal of changes, some good, some bad. this was greatly due to the changing personnel. honestly, patrick moraz, the sound he brought and the different song style, didn't really do anything for me.

Roan's Lady

Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:42 pm

ronburns48 wrote:not really worn, but close to being to commercial. having started going to yes concerts in the early '70's, i've watched and listen to a great deal of changes, some good, some bad. this was greatly due to the changing personnel. honestly, patrick moraz, the sound he brought and the different song style, didn't really do anything for me.
Hello, Ron, and welcome! :) I can imagine the changes you observed along your ride with Yes from the early 70s - there have been plenty!
I take it you're not a fan of Relayer, as clearly, Patrick Moraz contributed greatly to defining the sound of that album. What album or albums have worn well with you?
~moon safari

PhillYes

Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:41 am

At the risk of being accused of hijacking of the thread (Amy put the idea in my head!) I have to say that I don't think that any of the records have not worn well with me, but rather many have improved with time and distance. The Rabin stuff especially---yea verily, even unto Talk---seems to have improved somewhat with the years. OOLH came up in the random shuffle on my player the other day, and rather than skip it (like usual) I let the whole 90125 album play and was struck by how fresh and vigorous it sounded. I'd sort of forgotten about "Hearts", but it's a very nice little melody that would not have felt out of place on an earlier effort. Bits and pieces of Talk sound much better to me today than they did upon release. Regardless of the result, I think you can hear a certain drive and focus that seems lacking in recent years. I came away thinking that, well, maybe Trevor Rabin wasn't the devil incarnate after all.

Phill [:yes]
[CENTER]We Receive All We Venture To Give[/CENTER]
[CENTER][:u][/CENTER]

gtrpir8
Veteran Member

Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:08 am

I can't think of any one album or cd that completely turns me off, but there are a handful of individual cuts that I can easily skip over, usually YesWest material. For example, I love "Changes" and "It Can Happen", but the remainder of 90125 for me is most unremarkable. Even on the 80% Yes release Magnification, "Spirit of Survival", "We Agree", and "In the Presence Of" are awesome, and "Don't Go is fun (to me) in a Beatle-esque sort of way, but the rest is just OK.

happytheman
Charter Member

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:43 pm

gtrpir8 wrote:I can't think of any one album or cd that completely turns me off, but there are a handful of individual cuts that I can easily skip over, usually YesWest material. For example, I love "Changes" and "It Can Happen", but the remainder of 90125 for me is most unremarkable. Even on the 80% Yes release Magnification, "Spirit of Survival", "We Agree", and "In the Presence Of" are awesome, and "Don't Go is fun (to me) in a Beatle-esque sort of way, but the rest is just OK.
I started to agree with N2... that is until I got to your thoughts. I would have to say I "mirror" the idea that some individual cuts just don't get played much (I'm so thankful for CD's, just think about having to get up and pick the needle up and move it over to the next song! or fast forwarding the tape!) I won't air my least favorites but Yes (like any band) had a few that well.. they just should have been left off the release.

Roan's Lady

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

PhillYes wrote:I let the whole 90125 album play and was struck by how fresh and vigorous it sounded. I'd sort of forgotten about "Hearts", but it's a very nice little melody that would not have felt out of place on an earlier effort. Bits and pieces of Talk sound much better to me today than they did upon release. Regardless of the result, I think you can hear a certain drive and focus that seems lacking in recent years. I came away thinking that, well, maybe Trevor Rabin wasn't the devil incarnate after all.

Phill [:yes]

I think there was a drive and focus throughout the Rabin years, as well - though not one that resulted in music I particularly cared for. The lack of that in recent years is dismaying. I'd be at least somewhat satisfied for a return of that, even if the music itself turns out not to be of my liking.
~moon safari

elminster06

Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:54 pm

90125 is really the album i dislike the more in their catalog.
i hate it so much that i stop buying yes album after that in the fear of hearing the same sound in subsequent album.

Not long ago i bought "talk" and "Magnification" . i were really suprise by the talk album really good, far more better than i tough the same for magnification. so i listen back to my old 90125 cd, but i still don't like it.
[LEFT]I'm the Dude. So that's
what you call me. That, or Duder.
His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if,
you know, you're not into the whole
brevity thing.
-the big lebowski-
[/LEFT]

tardistraveler

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:39 pm

I can't say there's a particular Yes album that turns me off.

Some get more play than others, but it's still fun to put one on that I haven't heard in a while.

And it's interesting - Big Generator has grown on me over time - it was the only Yes album that I didn't buy when it first came out, but I'm finding more to like on it.

To me, if it's Yes, it's all good . . . :)

Joedude

Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:16 am

I agree with you Tardis, there really isn't any one album that hasn't worn well with me. Well, maybe TFTO :eek: , until I heard portions of it live - I think it's much better live that what they laid down in the studio. Without change there can be no growth, and I see growth with each release.
This to just remind you
All is meant to be

Roan's Lady

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:54 pm

Joedude wrote:I agree with you Tardis, there really isn't any one album that hasn't worn well with me. Well, maybe TFTO :eek: , until I heard portions of it live - I think it's much better live that what they laid down in the studio. Without change there can be no growth, and I see growth with each release.
What sort of growth?
I see some albums (Talk, OYE, The Ladder, Mag) not about Yes "growing" at all. Little-to-no adventure, boundary-pushing, innovation. That's what growth is to me. I feel they have been doing an abundance of formula-following in the last two decades of their existence. Comfortable for them, dull for the fans - well - some of them. ;)
~moon safari

Dr_Yes

Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:54 pm

Hang on there Amy! Wait a cotton-picking minute, that's not fair!

Chris Squire has a Christmas album of carol toons to rock music (or summit); Jon Anderson is playing live with the School of Rock (when there's enough demand and he's 'on-planet'); Steve Howe is playing part time with one of the UK's Yes tributes; and Rick Wakeman is now a successful TV guest on the UK's favourite TV scrabble quiz show .... er, okay scrub that, it is fair.

Thank the Lord for Alan, Billy and Tony's CIRCA venture.

And who'd have thought the most successful members of Yes today in the industry's eyes would be Rabin and Horn? Go Trevors go.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

Roan's Lady

Ding Dong Merrily Get High

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:46 am

Dr_Yes wrote:Hang on there Amy! Wait a cotton-picking minute, that's not fair!

Chris Squire has a Christmas album of carol toons to rock music (or summit); Jon Anderson is playing live with the School of Rock (when there's enough demand and he's 'on-planet'); Steve Howe is playing part time with one of the UK's Yes tributes; and Rick Wakeman is now a successful TV guest on the UK's favourite TV scrabble quiz show .... er, okay scrub that, it is fair.

Thank the Lord for Alan, Billy and Tony's CIRCA venture.

And who'd have thought the most successful members of Yes today in the industry's eyes would be Rabin and Horn? Go Trevors go.

:D
~moon safari

Uncle Norm

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:15 pm

• Union: A lot of that album just doesn't sound sincere or inspired to me. I think the best stuff on there are the Trevor Rabin songs, like "Lift Me Up" -- they sound the most natural, despite the fact that they are the most inlfuenced by Rabin. I personally like Rabin's writing and arranging, and in many ways he was the most "complete" member of the group at that time as far as writing and seeing an idea all the way through... A lot of the other material sounds disjointed to me, and if you know the history of how the Union project came about then it's obvious why.
  • Keys To Ascension (new studio songs) : I realize that they've got the classic line up back for these recordings, and I have given the songs a good listen -- including Mind Drive which I know a lot of people like -- but to me it's just not happening. Again the music doesn't come across a very sincere or very inspired on these tracks. I think it sounds like YES trying to sound like YES, but without the spirit or spark really being there... Sounds like they're just going through the motions.
NB

Dr_Yes

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:44 pm

Uncle Norm wrote:
  • Union: A lot of that album just doesn't sound sincere or inspired to me. I think the best stuff on there are the Trevor Rabin songs, like "Lift Me Up" -- they sound the most natural, despite the fact that they are the most inlfuenced by Rabin. I personally like Rabin's writing and arranging, and in many ways he was the most "complete" member of the group at that time as far as writing and seeing an idea all the way through... A lot of the other material sounds disjointed to me, and if you know the history of how the Union project came about then it's obvious why.
  • Keys To Ascension (new studio songs) : I realize that they've got the classic line up back for these recordings, and I have given the songs a good listen -- including Mind Drive which I know a lot of people like -- but to me it's just not happening. Again the music doesn't come across a very sincere or very inspired on these tracks. I think it sounds like YES trying to sound like YES, but without the spirit or spark really being there... Sounds like they're just going through the motions.
NB

I don't think it's just you that feels this way Uncle Norm. I've had endless chats/discussions with many of Yes fans who can't stand a lot of the post-1990 output for the reasons you mention. Keys in particular had the feel of 5 people mailing in their contributions from around the world - which it is said that to a degree thry did. The whole thing smacks of going through the motions - a popular criticism of the band that was so good in the 1970s and had a mini/major (depending of your point of view) revival through Rabin/Horn.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

Joedude

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:48 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:What sort of growth?
Well,..........a new wart still is growth! :p

Seriously, I agree with the fact that some of their later recordings have the "mailed-in' feeling, but in the overall picture from first to last it's impossible not to see improvement, even if it's not what you want it to be. I get comments such as Well, it's not another Tales or It doesn't have the crispness of 90125, which to me would mean a stunting of their development. The music, from Birthright to Endless Dream to Mind Drive to New Languages to In The Presence Of, to me shows growth in their writing, performing and recording.

Now, on the other hand, I will agree that growth is questionable (or maybe stagnated) from an overall concept point of view. It's almost as if Yes has a lock on a certain type of album they want to present to the public thematically, and won't explore other options. I can see growth when he is pushed by a Trevor Rabin or a Bruce Fairbairn, but when left in charge it becomes a play on the same ideas. Good ideas (love, peace, etc), but the same ones.

OK, does this make sense?
This to just remind you
All is meant to be

Roan's Lady

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:31 pm

Joedude wrote:Well,..........a new wart still is growth! :p

Seriously, I agree with the fact that some of their later recordings have the "mailed-in' feeling, but in the overall picture from first to last it's impossible not to see improvement, even if it's not what you want it to be. I get comments such as Well, it's not another Tales or It doesn't have the crispness of 90125, which to me would mean a stunting of their development. The music, from Birthright to Endless Dream to Mind Drive to New Languages to In The Presence Of, to me shows growth in their writing, performing and recording.

Now, on the other hand, I will agree that growth is questionable (or maybe stagnated) from an overall concept point of view. It's almost as if Yes has a lock on a certain type of album they want to present to the public thematically, and won't explore other options. I can see growth when he is pushed by a Trevor Rabin or a Bruce Fairbairn, but when left in charge it becomes a play on the same ideas. Good ideas (love, peace, etc), but the same ones.

OK, does this make sense?
Yes. I don't agree with all of it, but it makes sense. :)
~moon safari

happytheman
Charter Member

Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:41 pm

Uncle Norm wrote:
NB
First impressions are often lasting impressions. When Union came out I was drawn to "some" songs more than others. Shock to the System has a nice "kick" to it. Take the Water.... on the other hand may just has well been taken from a Jon solo album. Regarding Keys, upon first listening I very much enjoyed Be the One. I found it to be "fresh". And the opening of That, That Is, has Steve playing some beautiful acoustic. Sure the song drags on a bit in parts (could use some editing). But coming from someone who had followed Yes pretty intensely from 74 onward Keys was a move forward (to a more Yes sound) compared to Talk (which was fine in an of itself). When the second Keys album showed up at the same time that Open your Eyes did I must admit I bought the Keys 2 before Open your Eyes, I wanted to see what the classic line up still had in store. And again upon first listening Mind Drive had it's moments but seemed much like That, That Is in that it was "patched" together and did seem to drag on in places, which could have best been left in the studio. But we are back to the same ole' argument about "how Yes composes songs". Way too "formula" for my taste at times. Whereas Footprints, Bring me to the Power and Children of Light have some nice moments to them. Open your Eyes is a whole other story. The idea of going into the studio and writing as many songs as they could must have been appealing to them at this point. While I can listen to the album straight through I cannot say that anyone individual track stands out and screams "greatness". Which brings us to The Ladder. The first song I heard from this album was on the radio. Homeword got some regular rotations as well as Lightning Strikes on a local radio station. I really liked both of the songs which prompted me to buy it. Granted there are a lot of songs on this album as well but outsid of New Languages nothing other than the two I have already mentioned stand out as "great song writing". I guess the freshness of a Siberian Khatru or a Perpetual Change is a bit too much to ask for anymore.
But who knows, I have enjoyed a lot of what Steve has done solo over the years, and at least the early Anderson solo albums had some high points, Wakeman I'm sure still has some unexplored areas, and Squire can anyone say Fish out of Water? And Alan has certainly added some great pieces to the puzzle on multiple occasions. There could still be a great new, fresh, sound to come from the boys... time will tell.

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:39 pm

for me the low point in the Yes catalog is "Open Your Eyes" it seemed like they weren't trying i know alot of the tunes were originaly meant to be a chris squire-billy sherwood project and steve and jon came on board later
it just sounds like 2 diferent bands trying unsuccesfully to make their music fit together and for me it doesn't work there are a few songs on it that i like but the overall album to me is rather unprofessional by the Yes standards. I had trouble with drama, keys , relayer, and magnification but i learned to love all of them . I just never got open your eyes
i guess my eyes arn't that open.

Coffee_&_Cigarettes
Veteran Member

Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:55 pm

90125 actualy became one of my personal favorites!
I didn´t like it very much until i started listening to it more often in my car.
When it comes to YES, for me every album is great except "Drama".
I have a problem with Trevor Horn´s voice.I just don´t get it.
I know he´s a very talented songwriter but as a singer...i´m not so sure i dig his vision.

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:35 am

gtrpir8 wrote:I can't think of any one album or cd that completely turns me off, but there are a handful of individual cuts that I can easily skip over, usually YesWest material. For example, I love "Changes" and "It Can Happen", but the remainder of 90125 for me is most unremarkable. Even on the 80% Yes release Magnification, "Spirit of Survival", "We Agree", and "In the Presence Of" are awesome, and "Don't Go is fun (to me) in a Beatle-esque sort of way, but the rest is just OK.

its funny you should say that about "Don't Go" being beatle-esque
I thought Time is Time was very Beatle-esque
maybe they were channeling the Beatles on Magnification
my favorite was "In The Pressence Of"
but I liked the chris squire song "Can You Imagine" it reminded me of drama a little.