Most Obscure Lyrics

Want to talk about or review a YES album?
This is the place.
thehallway
Charter Member

Most Obscure Lyrics

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:39 pm

Jon Anderson has a way with words.

However, I couldn't help noticing that despite his ability to combine imagination, beauty, description, and wit into many Yes songs, there are a few lyrics that are just downright silly. This thread is by no means supposed to criticise or poke fun at the wordings that Anderson put all his thought into, but just to try and make sense of some of the seemingly meaningless songs.

For starters, Going for the one:

Get the idea cross around the track
Underneath the flank of thoroughbred racing chasers.
Getting the feel as a river flows.
Would youlike to go n shoot the mountain masses?
And here you stand no taller than the grass sees.
And should you really chase so hard.
The truth of sport plays rings around you.

Going for the one
Going for the one

Get in the way as the tons of water
Racing with you crashing thru the rudder.
Once at the start you can gamble
That you really surely really mean to finish.
After seeing all your sense of fear diminish.
As you treat danger a pure collection.
As you throw away misconceptions.
Going for the one.
Going for the one.
Going for a
Listen in time
Taken so high
To touch to move
Listen to life
Touching touch time
Travel twilight
Taken so high.
Roundabout, sounding out, love you so
Love you so
Love you so

Now the verses Ive sang
Dont add much weight to the story in my head
So Im thinking I should go and write a punch line.
But theyre so hard to find
In my cosmic mind
So I think Ill take a look out of the window.
When I think about you
I dont feel low.
Nshould I really chase so hard.
The truth of sport plays rings around you.
Going for the one.
Going for the one.
Going for to
Listen in time
Taken so high
To touch to move
Listen to life
Touching touch time
Travel twilight
Taken so high
Taking your time
Turn on to love
Turnstile to one
Tender timing
Rocking rolling
Listen in time
Taken so high
To touch to move
Listen to life
Touching touchtime
Travel twilight
Taken so high
Taking your time
Turn on to love
Turnstile to one
Tender timing
Rocking rolling
Turn on to love
Turnstile to one
Tender timing
Rocking rolling

Moments decide.
Moments delight.
Moments in flight.
Talk about sending love.<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> GA_googleFillSlot("lyricsfreak-300x50-btf");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/ ... "></SCRIPT> Love love love etc...

Without stating the obvious here, I'm guessing it's a love song. But some parts (e.g. the references to metaphorical sport and transport) just don't make sense. The "truth of sport plays rings around you" line for example,I'm sure can be interpreted in many ways, but at face-value it doesn't really mean anything.

I don't want to appear as some sort of idiot who has no imagination, just wondering what other people thought about this. Feel free to discuss other lines (or whole songs) aswell.
[8]

tardistraveler

Re: Most Obscure Lyrics

Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:21 pm

I read an interview once where Jon said "it's about sport".

For me, the song conjures the emotions aligned with participating in sport - that joy of life when you transcend and are "in the zone", so to speak. And with joy of life comes a desire to share with others . . . so love for others comes in play too . . . perhaps life is a "sport", a "play" as such . . .

And you gotta love THIS part . . .

"Now the verses Ive sang
In my cosmic mind
So I think Ill take a look out of the window."

I always thought that was a GREAT throwaway line - I chuckle everytime I hear it!

thehallway
Charter Member

Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Indeed, I've always loved the slightly humorous side to Jon's lyrics
[8]

Wakemaniac

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Close To The Edge:
"A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace
And REARRANGE YOUR LIVER TO A SOLID MENTAL GRACE"....???

i STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND....
Caroline [:yes]songs

guilddigger
Starship Trooper

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Wakemaniac wrote:Close To The Edge:
"A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace
And REARRANGE YOUR LIVER TO A SOLID MENTAL GRACE"....???

i STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND....
Here's my take on 'Close To The Edge'.

http://www.eng.umu.se/borders/Grupp1/Thomas/Mypage.htm
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges

Chris2210

Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:46 pm

tardistraveler wrote:I read an interview once where Jon said "it's about sport".

For me, the song conjures the emotions aligned with participating in sport - that joy of life when you transcend and are "in the zone", so to speak. And with joy of life comes a desire to share with others . . . so love for others comes in play too . . . perhaps life is a "sport", a "play" as such . . .

And you gotta love THIS part . . .

"Now the verses Ive sang
In my cosmic mind
So I think Ill take a look out of the window."

I always thought that was a GREAT throwaway line - I chuckle everytime I hear it!
Strangely, that's the bit I've never quite taken to, Diane. It's uncharacteristically literal for Anderson and even though I accept it's rather tongue-in-cheek it's always struck me as a bit clumsy.

The rest I quite like and think is rather successful. It is obviously on a superficial level about sport and it captures the effort and ebb and flow of active physical endeavour well IMO. But more importantly as I've said elsewhere i think almost the whole of GftO can be seen as an experiment in rhythm and song punctuation and the theme of sport works very well for that. As ever with jon's lyrics however there is a concern with the journey of the spirit - which he almost always links with an over-arching idea of love in one way or another. Jon can get a bit soppy at times but i think his 'love' is frequently divine or universal love as opposed to 'lurv' although I think the two are possibly inextricably intertwined for our Jonny boy in any case. ;)
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.

thehallway
Charter Member

Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:10 pm

Here's another one for you:

"Craving penetrations offer links with the self instructor's sharp"-RSOG

An old favourite of mine from the infamously hard to follow lyrics of Tales. The line sounds very deep and philisophical, then again it could just be one of those instances where Anderson chooses the words down to how they sound rather than their meaning...
[8]

tardistraveler

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:33 pm

guilddigger wrote:Here's my take on 'Close To The Edge'.

Wow - that's quite a treatise! I will read more of it as time allows - I'm at work now . . .

tardistraveler

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:41 pm

thehallway wrote:Here's another one for you:

"Craving penetrations offer links with the self instructor's sharp"-RSOG

An old favourite of mine from the infamously hard to follow lyrics of Tales. The line sounds very deep and philisophical, then again it could just be one of those instances where Anderson chooses the words down to how they sound rather than their meaning...

With this one, I think you have to look at the entire sentence . . .

"Craving penetrations offer links with the self instructor's sharp
and tender love as we took to the air, a picture of distance."

These words conjure up an image of the student desiring to know all that can be known, "craving" knowledge to "penetrate" his psyche and "link" with the "self", the knowledge that can only be found within. His instructor is both "sharp", pointed in his teachings, and also "tender", so as to not overwhelm his student . . . the knowledge gained takes them on a journey, and the "air", "distance" words give it a sense of immensity and unboundedness . . .

Hey, that's MY take anyway . . . :rolleyes:

thehallway
Charter Member

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:14 pm

tardistraveler wrote:With this one, I think you have to look at the entire sentence . . .

"Craving penetrations offer links with the self instructor's sharp
and tender love as we took to the air, a picture of distance."

These words conjure up an image of the student desiring to know all that can be known, "craving" knowledge to "penetrate" his psyche and "link" with the "self", the knowledge that can only be found within. His instructor is both "sharp", pointed in his teachings, and also "tender", so as to not overwhelm his student . . . the knowledge gained takes them on a journey, and the "air", "distance" words give it a sense of immensity and unboundedness . . .

Hey, that's MY take anyway . . . :rolleyes:

Very good! Your quicker than me!
[8]

Wakemaniac

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:34 pm

guilddigger wrote:Here's my take on 'Close To The Edge'.

I have read your thesis and it has indeed enlightened me .It makes me appreciate and love this brilliant song even more.Thanks for posting this.I read about Siddhartha long time ago....
Caroline [:yes]songs

guilddigger
Starship Trooper

Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:02 am

Thanks, I'm glad it helped.
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges

thehallway
Charter Member

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:25 am

The "Hot colour melting the anger to stone" line from Long Distance Runaround is one that I have always considered to be rather strange. Someone may have mentioned this before but the thing that strikes me as most odd is that Jon sings "MELTING the anger to STONE". Now usually, when something melts it becomes a liquid, but this lyric suggests that the anger melts into stone; a solid. The "hot colour" part could be a way of representing emotions (in this case, anger) in the form of colours, which I think is a nice idea; that emotion is made of colors, and you could bring peace by finding a healing color to melt hate. With this in mind, I reckon the stone reference is simply a way of conveying the idea that the anger is now inactive/dormant, like a stone. However, a better way to imply this would be the word freezing rather than melting (which is the exact opposite process).

The best explanation I can come up with is that melting simply sounds a lot cooler (or hotter)...
[8]

tardistraveler

Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:31 pm

thehallway wrote:The "Hot colour melting the anger to stone" line from Long Distance Runaround is one that I have always considered to be rather strange. Someone may have mentioned this before but the thing that strikes me as most odd is that Jon sings "MELTING the anger to STONE". Now usually, when something melts it becomes a liquid, but this lyric suggests that the anger melts into stone; a solid. The "hot colour" part could be a way of representing emotions (in this case, anger) in the form of colours, which I think is a nice idea; that emotion is made of colors, and you could bring peace by finding a healing color to melt hate. With this in mind, I reckon the stone reference is simply a way of conveying the idea that the anger is now inactive/dormant, like a stone. However, a better way to imply this would be the word freezing rather than melting (which is the exact opposite process).

The best explanation I can come up with is that melting simply sounds a lot cooler (or hotter)...

The "stone" reference could also be that when you're really really angry, sometimes you just get "stonefaced" . . . too angry to even show the emotion . . . so the anger "melts" into this stony mask of a thing.

Gary M. Thomas
Veteran Member

Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:26 am

Hey Diane,

I'm reading through this thread and I gotta say something here.....and I mean this with all sincerity:

I am very impressed with your interpretations of Jon Anderson's esoteric lyrics. You certainly seem to have an inherent ability to understand his sometimes enigmatic verses, and your open-minded assessments are extremely enlightening.

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your insightful posts.

Gary Thomas
"Oh closely guided plan, awaken in our hearts"

thehallway
Charter Member

Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:10 am

Ditto
[8]

tardistraveler

Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Aw . . . thanks for the sweet words . . . :icon_blus

So, any other obscure lyrics? Let's discuss some more!

Chris2210

Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:42 pm

Jon is on record as stating those lyrics were written with the shootings at Kent State University in mind [four students were shot by the national guard who had been summoned by the University principal to prevent an anti-war protest - two of those killed had nothing to do with the protest].

I think there is a certain amount of synthesthesia in Yes lyrics [we've discussed this before] whereby colours are associated with, or used to express, emotions. I don't know if Anderson uses the Dadaist 'cut-up' approach to writing lyrics [this is often confused as being random, but it is actually just a starting point to unlock the power of the unconscious mind]. The outcome is in any case quite similar - he often breaks common and linear associations to make more unusual and interesting juxtaposing of ideas - it neatly avoids the sort of clichés which commonly populate pop lyrics...

thehallway
Charter Member

Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Ok, so out of all the sentences that don't make sense, the phrases that have no meaning, and the lyrics that no one can understand, MOST of them are at least in English.

"Sol, Dhoop, Sun, Ilios, Nay, theet, Ah Kin, Saule, Tanatiuh, Qurax, Gunes, Grian, Surie, Ir, Samse" -The Ancient

I've done some research but it appears that these words aren't from any known language that people use today. The language finder thing on Google translate estimated the closest match as Turkish, but once translated to English the words remained almost identical, with a few spelling differences. It's possible that they belong to the dialect of a lost civilisation (as mentioned in Jon's footnote).

-PURANAS: The Ancient probes still further into the past beyond the point of remembering. Here Steve's guitar is pivotal in sharpening reflection on the beauties and treasures of lots civilisations, Indian, Chinese, Central American, Atlantean. These and other people left an immense treasure of knowledge.-

I still think they get the award being the most obscure!
[8]

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:55 pm

I went looking for these and in summary, off the top of my head*, this is what I would say . . .
'The Ancient,' Giants Under the Sun" is the third lyric in "Tales," corresponding to the puranas. "The ancient probes still further into the past beyond the point of remembering . . . in sharpening reflection on the beauties and treasures of lost civilisations, Indian, Chinese, Central American, Atlantean. These and other people left an immense treasure of knowledge" (preface.) These peoples were "as one with the knowledge and magic of the source," the sun, which they named and worshipped (1). Yet the earth was not ignored, being necessary for life: the earth was seen to be under the sun, and thee peoples oriented their lives to the natural laws of earth and to the spiritual laws of the sun. Lines 4-15 are a list of different names of the sun-god (as best as I can determine): Sol (Latin, sun); Dhoop (Sanskrit, fire); Sun; Ilios (Roman for the Greek Helios, sun-god); Natheet (?); Ah Kin (Mayan sun-god; cp. Akhenaton, service to Aton, the sun disc; Ah is Semitic for the title "brother of god"; Kin is also Nevada Indian for the celestial orb of the sun but not a god); Saule (Celtic sun goddess and Slavic celestial goddess); Tonatiuh (Aztec sun-god who required sacrifices); Qurax (Somali, sun); Gunes (Turkish, sun); Grian (Celtic, sun); Surje (Hindu Surya, Soorya, sun-god); Ir (?), Samse (?Shamash was the Babylonian sun-god, Akkadian Šamaš). In this conceptualization, "the flowering creativity of life wove its / web face to face with the shallow" (16-7), which I take to mean that earliest man, product of the life force, developed language (according to his need to communicate and thus survive) in the face of the dumb world of objects that confronted his mythopoeic mind. In "primitive" thought, thinking was more imagistic than verbal; by visualizing a tree by which you once passed, you are transported to that tree for an instant, it was believed. There was no differentiation between symbol and symbolized.
* This is of course a bare-faced lie as if I could write such a thing! I looked up / knew about seven of these and realised that the Sun thing worked which pleased me enormously then found this searching for "Qurax":-

http://alangullette.com/essays/music/tales.htm

So I guess these ones don't win which surprises me because when I first set eyes on your post my first thought was "We have a winner!"

thehallway
Charter Member

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:15 am

What an interesting read! So it really is as simple as that; various references to the Sun. Well, I feel enlightened (pun intended).

Unfortunately that means they're not very obscure at all. :(

Still, good detective work!
[8]

the greenman
Veteran Member

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:52 pm

there's usually an essence of sense in there, as well as poetic image evoking sound poems. Those are the lyrics I like best of Jon's. when he tries to be too literal ('that that is' for eg.,) I like it less.

that said our recent analysis of that song made me appreciate it more..

So lets do some more!!

thehallway
Charter Member

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:45 pm

And You And I:

I. Cord Of Life
(Anderson/Bruford/Howe/Squire)

A man conceived a moment's answers to the dream,
Staying the flowers daily, sensing all the themes.
As a foundation left to create the spiral aim,
A movement regained and regarded both the same,
All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you.

Changed only for a sight of sound, the space agreed.
Between the picture of time behind the face of need,
Coming quickly to terms of all expression laid,
Emotion revealed as the ocean maid,
Oh.

Turn round tailor, Coins and
Assaulting all the mornings of the Crosses
Interest shown, Never know
Presenting one another to the cord, Their fruitless worth;
All left dying, rediscovered Cords are broken,
Of the door that turned round, Locked inside
To close the cover, the mother earth.
All the interest shown, They won't
To turn one another, to the sign Hide, hold, they won't
At the time Tell you, watching the world,
To float your climb. Watching all of the world,
Watching us go by.

And you and I climb over the sea to the valley,
And you and I reached out for reasons to call.

II. Eclipse
(Anderson/Bruford/Squire)

As a movement regained and regarded both the same,
All complete in the side of seeds of life with you.

III. The Preacher the Teacher
(Anderson/Bruford/Howe/Squire)

Sad preacher nailed upon the coloured door of time;
Insane teacher be there reminded of the rhyme.
There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify;
Political ends, as sad remains, will die.
Reach out as forward tastes begin to enter you.
Ooh, ooh.

I listened hard but could not see
Life tempo change out and inside me.
The preacher trained in all to lose his name;
The teacher travels, asking to be shown the same.
In the end, we'll agree, we'll accept, we'll immortalise
That the truth of the man maturing in his eyes,

As a moment regained and regarded both the same,
A clearer future, morning, evening, nights with you.

IV. Apocalypse (Anderson/Bruford/Howe/Squire)

And you and I climb, crossing the shapes of the morning.
And you and I reach over the sun for the river.
And you and I climb, clearer, towards the movement.
And you and I called over valleys of endless seas.

Confusing at face value but beautiful nonetheless IMO. Now alot of lines in this song are fairly straightforward (the whole of Apocalypse for example). Others aren't. But I'm guessing from the previous songs I've posted that theres some clever Yestalker who can deduce the meanings.

Lets start with the line thats repeated 4 times during the song: "All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you."
[8]

thehallway
Charter Member

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:46 pm

*You'll have to ignore the lyrics that are doubled up, they wouldn't stay apart.
[8]

the greenman
Veteran Member

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:18 pm

D'you know what? I love this song; I've loved it for years & although I've always thought it was about the specialness of close relationships ( but is it?) I haven't got a clue what the lyrics are about!!!

CourtoftheCrimsonKeith

Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:45 am

I think The Preacher, the teacher has a sort of angry tone to it. I had never realized that before, probably because I've never looked at the lyrics without the music playing. Almost seems like some sort of resentment towards the human race for allowing the crucifiction of Jesus Christ.

Chris2210

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:26 pm

thehallway wrote:And You And I:

Confusing at face value but beautiful nonetheless IMO. Now alot of lines in this song are fairly straightforward (the whole of Apocalypse for example). Others aren't. But I'm guessing from the previous songs I've posted that theres some clever Yestalker who can deduce the meanings.

Lets start with the line thats repeated 4 times during the song: "All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you."
It's Friday tomorrow [a good one?] Why not stick it in the main forum as a "Yessong of the Week". It's one of the greatest, it deserves its own thread and I'd also like to see that idea kept going....

tardistraveler

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:05 pm

That's a good idea. I have some thoughts and feelings about the meaning of this song, and see it on several levels. But I don't know if you can just isolate the meaning of one phrase without putting it in the context of the entire song.

If no one's set it up yet, I'll start a "Yessong of the Week" thread.